Diversia writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I got three questions:
>
> 1.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible that some of the maintainers of the kernel could
> send this mailinglist a message when a new kernel comes out so we don't
> have to look everytime and thereby decreasing some of the internet load of
> the routers and servers. Because internet is getting slower and slower
> lately and that's something we atleast could do for the poor people who are
> affected by this extremely annoying slowingdown.

I do mail this list whenever I upload a new kernel release, but this does
not happen very often, but it will soon. If you want I can notify the list
every time some modified code is checked in to CVS. Daily snapshots of the
code are available from ftp://ftp.lmh.ox.ac.uk/pub/linux/linux-8086/.

I must say I have not noticed a slowdown in the internet. Since I first had
access in 1992 it seems to have got faster all the time. Maybe your ISP is
suffering from load problems?

> 2.
>
> In the elkscmd package I found a combined root/boot floppy, how is it made
> because I would like to build my own kernel and maybe even try booting from
> the harddisk and I don't think Mr. / Mrs. / Ms. / Mz. Bootloader (I don't
> know his/hers/it's name so I call him/her that) would me to
> enlarge/decrease the size of the kernel without him/her/it knowing it. I
> had some bad experiences with LILO and wouldn't want it to happen to my
> extremely high speed, high cost 286 16 MHz with a HUGE 40 mb harddisk and
> 640 KB mem ("640 KB is more then anyone could ever need").

The ELKS bootloaders (BootELKS and minix bootsector) are less fragile
that LILO when it comes to changing kernel files. Is assume from your later
posts that you have now worked out how to create your own root filesystem.

> 3.
>
> My harddisk is recognized as /dev/bda, but I can also access him(her) as
> /dev/hda, what's the difference and why can't I fdisk my harddisk with
> /dev/hda, when I try to write the partition he starts babbles about that he
> can't seek to 0 or something like that?

You should only be able to access your harddisk as /dev/bda as this is the
name used by the BIOS disk driver. If any messages come up indicating that
/dev/hda is supported by the default kernel then this is a bug.

Al