Linux-Advocacy Digest #623, Volume #25           Tue, 14 Mar 00 05:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: Enemies of Linux are MS Lovers (Norman D. Megill)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Norman D. Megill)
Crossposted-To: alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Enemies of Linux are MS Lovers
Date: 14 Mar 2000 04:43:04 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Norman:
>
>I didn't see the first post and can't find it.
>
>Can you repost to me what are the exact required steps to install windows on
>your machine and describe your machine. I will see what I can see about
>it...

Here is the repost.  Keep in mind that I originally put this together
for my own reference, which I am providing as a courtesy, and they are a
few things like customizing the mouse cursor that might not be
absolutely essential for everyone.  I'm sure you guys will nitpick it to
death, but it works and is accurate and complete.  It is very detailed,
including what you should see on the screen at each step, so that I can
tell if I made a mistake along the way.  This procedure gets the machine
to the factory's starting point (minus MS Office and ISP
advertisements), so that I can begin to re-install and customize all my
apps (which takes another hour or two and is not covered here).  It also
does not include configuring the network properties and installing the
firewall that I use.

As I mentioned earlier, I am not asking for advice (not that any has
been given other than emotional rants about how I am incompetent and
don't know what I'm talking about).  This procedure works for me, it has
been debugged, and I'm used to it and will continue to use it and I'm
not interested in endless discussions on how I could refine it to save a
step or two (if it ain't broke don't fix it...)

Instructions for reinstalling Windows 95 on Gateway Solo 2300 laptop

Have available:

Floppies:

SOLO 2X/51/91
BOOT DISKETTE
Version 1.4
Disk 1 or 1

TELEPATH MODEM
XJ5560 with Cellular and x2 Technology
Installation Disk

EtherDisk Version 5.3 (DOS 1.44 MB)
EtherLink III PC Card Adapter
Configuration and Diagnostics

CDs:

Microsoft Windows 95 with USB Support

Multimedia Notebook System CD
7502175

Microsoft Product ID:
nnnnn-OEM-nnnnnnn-nnnnn

1. Remove modem and ethernet PCMIA cards.

1a. Install CD drive in computer case.

2. Connect floppy drive via cable to line printer port.

3. Insert boot diskette.

4. Power up computer.

5. Press F2 during bootup to invoke setup.

6. Press F9.  Says: Notice | Default values have been loaded [Continue].

7. Press ENTER, ESC, ENTER, ENTER.  Floppy boots to [MAIN MENU].

8. Select EXIT PROGRAM, GO BACK TO DOS

Note: If you are just reinstalling Windows and don't want to touch partition
D: data, goto step 10A below now.

9. Delete partitions.  (The first 2 formats ensure labels are uppercase.)
At A:\> type:

NOTE:  DUE TO BUGS IN MICROSOFT FDISK, BADLY CORRUPTED DISKS CANNOT BE
PARTITIONED.  IN THAT CASE INSTALL LINUX TEMPORARILY UP TO FDISK, AND
USE LINUX FDISK TO REMOVE ALL PARTITIONS AND CREATE A DOS PARTITION.
Then then MS FDISK should start working.

  fdisk /mbr  <- if boot sector is corrupted

  (The following 2 formats change the label to uppercase to workaround an
  FDISK bug.)

  format /q c:
  AL
  format /q d:
  AM
  fdisk
  3      (Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive)
  4      (Delete Non-DOS Partition - says: No Non-DOS Partition to delete)
  ESC 3  (Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive)
  3      (Delete Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition)
  D      (What drive do you want to delete?)
  AM     (Enter Volume Label?)
  Y      (Are you sure (Y/N)?)
  ESC ESC 3
  2      (Delete Extended DOS Partition)
  ESC 3  (Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive)
  1      (Delete Primary DOS Partition)
  1      (What primary partition do you want to delete?)
  AL     (Enter Volume Label?)
  Y      (Are you sure (Y/N)?)

10. Create partitions.

  ESC 1  (Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive)
  1      (Create Primary DOS Partition)

Wait a few seconds (do NOT press ESC!) for:

  Y      (Do you wish to use the maximum...?)

  Says:
    System will now restart
    Insert DOS system diskette in drive A:
    Press any key when ready...

  Press space bar   (system halts and reboots)
  Select:  EXIT PROGRAM, GO BACK TO DOS

  A:\> fdisk
  1      (Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive)
  2      (Create Extended DOS Partition)

Wait a few seconds (do NOT press ESC!) for:

  1859   (Enter partition size... [use default])

  Note: If the default number is >2047 (e.g. 2071) then
  enter 2047 here.

  ESC

Wait a few seconds (do NOT press ESC!) for:

  1859   (Enter logical drive size... [use default])

  Note: If the default number is >2047 (e.g. 2071) then
  enter 2047 here.

  ESC ESC

  Says:
    System will now restart
    Insert DOS system diskette in drive A:
    Press any key when ready...

  Press space bar   (system halts and reboots)

  Select:  EXIT PROGRAM, GO BACK TO DOS

  format d:
  Y      (Proceed with Format (Y/N)?)
  [wait 10 min]
  ENTER  (Volume label... [leave blank])

10A. (Continuation point if just reinstalling Windows)
  Note:  the /u is important because Windows is (more) flaky if
  there is old random background data on the disk.

  format /u/c c:
  Y      (Proceed with Format (Y/N)?)
  [wait 10 min]
  ENTER  (Volume label... [leave blank])

11.  Install CD-ROM drivers as follows:

  sys c:
  CTRL+ALT+DEL
  Select:  INSTALL CD-ROM DRIVERS ON YOUR HARD DRIVE
  F1
  Press space bar  (Press any key to return to the main menu.)
  Select:  EXIT PROGRAM, GO BACK TO DOS

12.  Take out boot diskette.  Put in Windows 95 CD.  Press CTRL+ALT+DEL.
At C:\> prompt:

  md cabs
  e:
  cd win95
  copy *.* c:\cabs

13.  Take out Windows 95 CD.  Put in Multimedia Notebook System CD.

  cd win95\solo2300\vxdinf
  copy *.* c:\cabs
  cd \
  c:
  cd \cabs
  setup

  ENTER   (...routine check... To continue, press ENTER. To quit Setup, press ESC.)
  x       (Select EXit)

14.  Windows 95 Setup - click on:

  Continue
  Yes
  Next
  Next   (C:\WINDOWS)
  Next   (Typical)

15.  Enter registration number:  nnnnn-OEM-nnnnnnn-nnnnn.  Then click:

  Next

16.  Enter Name and Company.  Then click:

  Next
  Next   (leave hardware boxes unchecked)

[Says:  Analyzing your computer... -- several minutes]

  Next   (Install the most common components...)
  Check "No, I do not want a startup disk."  Then click Next.
  Next   (Start Copying Files)
  Finish

17.  The computer will reboot.
  [Setting up hardware...]
  [Windows 95 Setup...]

  Select Time Zone (Eastern).
  Close
  Cancel   (Add Printer Wizard)
  OK       (Window 95 Setup ... has finished...)

18.  The computer will reboot.

  Close    (Welcome to Windows)
  Right-click on empty desktop area
    Properties
      Settings (Display Properties)
        Advanced Properties (Display Properties)
          Adapter (Advanced Display Properties)
            Change... (Advanced Display Properties, Adapter)
              Have Disk... (Select Device)
                e:\win95\solo2300\display  (Install From Disk)
                OK  (Install From Disk)
              OK in Select Device (NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD should be the
                   only one) (2nd overlaid Select Device)
          Monitor (Advanced Display Properties)
            Change... (Advanced Display Properties, Monitor)
              Select:    (Select Device)
                (Standard monitor types)  Laptop Display Panel (1024x768)
              OK (Select Device)
          Apply (Advanced Display Properties, Monitor)
          OK  (Advanced Display Properties, Monitor)
          Move "Desktop area" control to 1024 by 768 pixels (Display Properties)
          Change "Color palette" to High Color (16 bit) (Display Properties)
          Apply  (Display Properties) (WARNING: DO NOT PRESS 'CLOSE' HERE
                BECAUSE DISPLAY WILL DISAPPEAR, THE COMPUTER WILL LOCK UP
                PERMANENTLY EVEN IF YOU TRY TO REBOOT, AND YOU'LL HAVE TO
                REFORMAT DISK AND START OVER
        Yes (System Settings Change ...restart your computer now?)

19. The computer restarts.

  Uncheck "Show this Welcome Screen..." (Welcome to Windows)

  Right-click on My Computer
  Select Properties
    Device Manager (System Properties)
      Click + on "? Other devices" - should show:
               ? PCI Universal Serial Bus
               ? Unknown Device
               ? Unknown Device
        Click on top "? Unknown Device"
          Remove
          OK (Confirm Device Removal)
      Click + on "? Other devices" - should show:
               ? PCI Universal Serial Bus
               ? Unknown Device
        Click on "? Unknown Device"
          Remove
          OK (Confirm Device Removal)
      Refresh
        Next (Update Device Driver Wizard)
        Other Locations...
          e:\win95\solo2300\audio (Select Other Location)
          OK
        (says found YAMAHA OPL3-SAx Sound System)
        Finish (Update Device Driver Wizard)
          OK (Insert Disk - Please insert 'OPL3-SAx driver disk' <- ignore)
          e:\win95\solo2300\audio (Copying Files...)
          OK (Copying Files...)
          OK (Insert Disk - Please insert 'Windows 95 CD-ROM..' <- ignore)
          c:\cabs (Copying Files...)
          OK (Copying Files...)

      Double-click first X Cirrus Logic PD6832 Cardbus Controller
        Uncheck Disable in this hardware profile (Cirrus Logic PD6832...)
        OK (Cirrus Logic PD6832...)
          Next   (Welcome to the PC Card (PCMCIA) Wizard)
          Next   (PC Card (PCMCIA) Wizard)
          Finish  (PC Card (PCMCIA) Wizard)
        No  (Systems Settings Change)
      Double-click 2nd X Cirrus Logic PD6832 Cardbus Controller
        Uncheck Disable in this hardware profile (Cirrus Logic PD6832...)
        OK (Cirrus Logic PD6832...)
          Next   (Welcome to the PC Card (PCMCIA) Wizard)
          Next   (PC Card (PCMCIA) Wizard)
          Finish  (PC Card (PCMCIA) Wizard)
        No  (Systems Settings Change)
      Double-click X PCIC or compatible Cardbus Controller
        Uncheck Disable in this hardware profile (PCIC...)
        OK (PCIC...)
          Next   (Welcome to the PC Card (PCMCIA) Wizard)
          Next   (PC Card (PCMCIA) Wizard)
          Finish  (PC Card (PCMCIA) Wizard)
        Yes  (Systems Settings Change)
  [computer powers off]
  Power on computer
  Start
    Settings
      Control Panel
        Add/Remove Programs - double-click
          Install/Uninstall (Add/Remove Programs Properties)
          Install... (Add/Remove Program Properties, Install/Uninstall)
            Next (Install Program from Floppy Disk or CD-ROM)
            (Remove Multimedia Notebook System CD)
            (Insert Microsoft Windows95 CD)
            e:\other\usb\usbsupp.exe (Command line, Run Installation Program)
            Finish (Run Installation Program)
          Yes (Install Microsoft USB...? Microsoft USB Supplement (QFE))
          Yes (Agree to license - Microsoft USB Supplement (QFE))
          [runs ScanDisk]
          OK (Microsoft USB Supplement)
  [computer restarts]

  Right-click on My Computer
  Select Properties
    Device Manager (System Properties)
      Click + on "? Other devices" - should show:
               ? PCI Universal Serial Bus
      (Single-)click on ? PCI Universal Serial Bus
      Remove
        OK (Confirm Device Removal)
    Close (System Properties)

  Start
    Shutdown
      Select Restart the computer (Shut Down Windows)
      Yes (Shut Down Windows)
  [computer restarts]
  Next (Update Device Driver Wizard)
  Other Locations... (Update Device Driver Wizard)
    c:\windows\system (Select Other Location)
    OK (Select Other Location)
  Finish (Update Device Driver Wizard)

  (Remove Microsoft Windows95 CD)
  (Insert Multimedia Notebook System CD)
  Close Internet Explorer
  Start
    Run
      e:\win95\solo2300\mouse\logitec\setup.exe
      OK (Run)
        Express Setup (MouseWare 95 Version 2.3 Setup)
        Restart (Installation Completed)
  [computer restarts]
  Yes (New Device)
  Next (Device Setup Wizard) <- (another set of my notes says "Cancel" here??)
  Next
  Finish
  Motion (Mouse Properties)
    Set Speed to Fast
    Check Enabled under Smart Move
  Scroller (Mouse Properties)
    Select None
  Pointers (Mouse Properties)
    Select Medium Black by Logitech under Scheme
  OK (Mouse Properties)

  Insert 3Com 3CXM356 Modem (or TELEPATH modem) card in top PCMIA slot
  Insert 3CMX356 Modem floppy disk
  Next (Update Device Wizard)
  Finish (Update Device Driver Wizard)
    OK (Insert Disk - 3COM 3CMX356 <- ignore)
    a: (Copying Files...)
    OK (Copying Files...)
    OK (Insert Disk - Please insert 'Windows 95 CD-ROM..' <- ignore)
    c:\cabs (Copying Files...)
    OK (Copying Files...)
    Enter area code
    OK

Start
  Settings
    Control Panel
      Add/Remove Programs (double-click)
        Windows Setup
          Communications (double-click)
            Enable Dial-Up Networking
            Enable Direct Cable Connection
          OK
      OK
      OK   (You must provide computer and workgroup names...)
      In Network / Identification boxes:
        Computer name:  Norm
        Workgroup:  DOMAIN
        Computer Description:  Windows 95
      Close
      OK  (Dial-Up Networking Setup...)

  Remove TELEPATH MODEM (or 3CMX356 Modem) floppy disk

  Insert 3Com EtherLink III network card in bottom PCMIA slot
  Insert EtherDisk floppy disk
  Next (Update Device Wizard)
  Finish (Update Device Driver Wizard)
    OK (Network)
    Computer name: Norm00 (Network, Identification)
    Workgroup: domain (Network, Identification)
    Close (Network)
    a: (Copying Files, file 'elpc3r.sys' not found)
    OK (Copying Files)
  Remove EtherDisk floppy disk
  Yes (System Setting Change)
  [computer restarts]

  Enter name and password for network
  Enter blank for Windows password

Start
  Shutdown
    Restart Computer
    OK

In Enter Windows Password window:
  xxxxxxx  (User name)
  (leave blank)     (Password)
OK
OK

[To install LapLink]

Start
  Run
    e:\win95\laplink\setup.exe
    OK
    Next
    Next
    Yes
    Next
    Next
    Select No, I'll register later...
    Finish

[To install printer]

Unplug floppy cable

Plug in printer cable

Double-click My Computer
  Printers
    Add Printer
      Next
      Next
      Select HP  |  HP LaserJet 4MP
      Next
      Next
      Finish  (print a test page)
      Yes

[To install dial-up connection]

  Control Panel -> Network:  Add TCP/IP protocol to Dial-Up Adapter

  My Computer -> Dial-Up Networking
    (Make New Connection - create Network)
    General
      Phone number:
        Area code: nnn  Telephone number: nnn-nnnn
        Country code:  United States of America (1)
        [v] Use country code and area code
      Connect using:
        TelePath XJ5560 with x2 and cellular
        Configure...
          General
            Port: COM3
            Speaker volume  On
            Maximum speed   115200
            [ ] Only connect at this speed
          Connection
            Connect preferences
              Data bits:  8
              Parity:  None
              Stop bits:  1
            Call preferences
              [v] Wait for dial tone before dialing
              [v] Cancel the call if not connected within [60] secs
              [ ] Disconnect a call if idle for more than [30] mins
            Port Settings...
              [v] Use FIFO buffers (requires 16550 compatible UART)
              Receive Buffer:  Low(1) .  .  v  .  High(14)
              Transmit Buffer: Low(1) .  .  .  v  High(16)
            Advanced...
              [v] Use error control     [v] Use flow control
                [ ] Required to connect     (o) Hardware (RTS/CTS)
                [v] Compress data           ( ) Software (XON/XOFF)
              Modulation type   Standard
              Extra settings
              [ ] Record a log file
            Connection control
              [ ] Bring up terminal window before dialing
              [ ] Bring up terminal window after dialing
            Dial control
              [ ] Operator assisted or manual dial
            Status control
              [v] Display modem status
          Forwarding
            [ ] This phone line has Call Forwarding
    Server Types
      Type of Dial-Up Server:  PPP: Windows 95, Windows NT 3.5, Internet
      Advanced options:
        [v] Log on to network
        [v] Enable software compression
        [ ] Require encrypted password
      Allowed network protocols:
        [ ] NetBEUI
        [ ] IPX/SPX Compatible
        [v] TCP/IP
        TCP/IP Settings...
          (o) Server assigned IP address
          ( ) Specify an IP address
          ( ) Server assigned name server address
          (o) Specify name server addresses
            Primary DNS:  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
            Secondary DNS:  yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
            Primary WINS:  0.0.0.0
            Secondary WINS:  0.0.0.0
          [v] Use IP header compression
          [v] Use default gateway on remote network
    Scripting
      Script file
        File name:
      [v] Start terminal screen minimized

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Norman D. Megill)
Crossposted-To: alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: 14 Mar 2000 04:49:58 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8aivvo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> time to reinstall the OS, and that I do not consider it easy and
>> intuitive.  The steps were documented in detail for my own benefit
>> because there are a number of "gotcha's" along the way, such as
>> accidentally clicking "Close" instead of "Apply" after installing the
>> video drivers -- the former will lock up the machine unrecoverably.
>>

>I have never EVER heard of a scenario where that is true...
>
>Please, reply with full details and let's see where the problem is.

See step 18 in my repost of the procedure.  I personally experienced
this problem, and in addition it was confirmed by Gateway.  The symptom
is rather eerie - the screen turns a yellowish-brown that fades to black
at the bottom, and over a period of a several seconds the yellow region
fades to black.

          Apply  (Display Properties) (WARNING: DO NOT PRESS 'CLOSE' HERE
                BECAUSE DISPLAY WILL DISAPPEAR, THE COMPUTER WILL LOCK UP
                PERMANENTLY EVEN IF YOU TRY TO REBOOT, AND YOU'LL HAVE TO
                REFORMAT DISK AND START OVER

Now, to be honest I do not know if you *really* have to reformat and
start over - perhaps something could be recovered in Safe mode - but
life is short and I have better things to do with my time than
experiment with MS bugs.  I do know that upon rebooting in normal mode
the screen turned black as soon as Windows started.  The suggestion to
reformat and start over was Gateway's, and I just did it to save time.

--Norm