From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: When it's time to not be nice... (was Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and
Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.          Ballard       says    Linux  growth
stagnating)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:08:59 -0700

Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> It was the Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:57:29 -0400...
> ...and Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > sandrews wrote:

> > > What`s a icosahedron ???
> >
> > a 12(?) vertex regular solid.
>
> Nope. You mean a dodecahedron. An icosahedron's got twenty vertices.
>
> For the laymen out there, an icosahedron looks like a ball made of
> twenty triangles, the sides of all triangles being of the same length.

You mean we not have poeple comming out of high school that are not familiar
with something as basic as that?!?  So that you have to try to draw verbal
pictures of the object?  I thought every one here was having fun with a
running joke, until your message.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Switch to NT?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 23:43:43 GMT

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:34:18 GMT, Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is StarOffice still hideous?
>
>I mean........last time I looked at it, it was a hideous re-incarnation
>of the Microsoft Windows desktop.

Basically, yes.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 23:43:45 GMT

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 02:26:02 -0400, JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Actually the major threat is a first strike nuclear attack from any of
>the ever increasing 3rd world  nations who are aquiring the technology.
>A defense that eliminates the strike mid-launch is the cure.

What if they sneak it into Puget Sound on a rowboat instead of sending
ICBM's?  Or maybe they could ship it to Galveston or Miami or Denver
using one of those drug couriers that bring in the crack you're
smoking.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Person 7)
Crossposted-To: alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Enemies of Linux are MS Lovers
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:10:31 GMT

On 5 Jun 2000 14:06:17 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>NT is easy. It's fast. It's stabal. Your ramming hot soldiering irons up your ass
>when you put up
>with UNIX and it's slownice and its' nead for you to tipe commands.
>
>Microsoft compials the NT kernal for you and you make the chainges in the Control
>Panel not by
>compialing everything yourself like in UNIX where if they did'nt make you compial the
>softwhare
>wouldn't evin work because no 2 UNIX boxes are binairy compattibal.
>
>Compair this with Windos, whear the EXE fromat will run on anny Windos box
>in the world. That kind of compattabillity takes genius that UNIX does'nt
>halve. You don't even nead the C format in Windos so "open source" is
>irrellevent.
>

>W2K is perfectly stabile. It even bloes NT4 out of teh watter.
>

>KDE doesnt' make UNIX easy to use. It gives you graffics but it doesn't give you any
>ease it still
>makes you tipe. And like everything else in UNIX, you half to spend years setting it
>up to werk the
>way it's suppost to after you install it when in Windos it works rite rite out of the
>box.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but are you deliberately spelling like
a five year old or are you just a complete spacker?
No wonder you have to use nice, easy, graphical operating systems.

<><><><><><>
Person7 has spoken
<><><><><><>

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Linux: what if?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:17:07 -0400

Andres Soolo wrote:

> Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [snip: Microsoft Linux]
> >> they take for free. If it is GPL they can't add features to it and
> > sell
> >> it (for a reasonable fee (media expenses)) without releasing the
> >> additional code. This may also apply to other licenses.
> > But of course the GPL has yet to be legally tested...
> You forget Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds.  Sure, Microsoft
> can use the code in any way that doesn't violate GPL but if they're
> going to create something obscene and call it Linux, Linus has the right
> to veto it.
>
> Unfortunately, Lignux is not a trademark yet, and it might be very
> attractive to Microsoft ...

Linus could challenge it, and he would win a trademark infringement
suit.  It's name is "too similar" to similar, competing product
already in existance.

> --
> Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Just to have it is enough.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:19:46 -0400

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 02:26:02 -0400, JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Actually the major threat is a first strike nuclear attack from any of
> >the ever increasing 3rd world  nations who are aquiring the technology.
> >A defense that eliminates the strike mid-launch is the cure.
>
> What if they sneak it into Puget Sound on a rowboat instead of sending
> ICBM's?  Or maybe they could ship it to Galveston or Miami or Denver
> using one of those drug couriers that bring in the crack you're
> smoking.

Here bob...let's see if you can comprehend this.

The threats described by JS/PL and the threats you describe are
BOTH credible....and...more importantly NOT mutually exclusive.

KGB defectors have already admitted that the Russians have managed
to build complete "suitcase" nuclear bombs INSIDE the United States.

And I am sure that we have done the same ourselves.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:37:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS/PL"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "ZnU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > You mean Bush wants to give people their money back instead of
> > > spending it for them!? How absurd!
> >
> > Bush wants to make the rich richer instead of helping the poor stay
> > healthy and educated.
>
> That's SOOOO OLD. Nothing is that simple. It's more of a 50 year old
> democratic slogan than anything.

It might be old, but it's true.

> Not even worthy of argument except to say 95% of the poor are in that
> situation by choice, it's the five out of 100 poor that need a hand.

That's SOOOO OLD. Nothing is that simple. It's more of a 50 year old
conservative slogan than anything.

> > > And he wants to defend the country! That's insanity!
> >
> > Yeah, you never know when the Brits might try to invade again!
> >
> > Seriously, the major threat to the US these days is terrorism, and the
> > kind of military spending Bush wants to do doesn't do a damn thing to
> > protect us from that.
>
> Actually the major threat is a first strike nuclear attack from any of the
> ever increasing 3rd world  nations who are aquiring the technology. A
> defense that eliminates the strike mid-launch is the cure. Bush want this
> problem eliminated, Gore wants to bury his head in the sand and pretend it
> won't happen, let alone WHEN.

A terrorist nation is far more likely to deliver a weapon of mass
destruction in a small glass bottle. It's cheaper, easier to conceal,
more reliable and potentially more deadly.

--
This universe shipped by weight, not volume.  Some expansion may have
occurred during shipment.

ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | <http://znu.dhs.org>

------------------------------

From: Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:39:59 GMT

david raoul derbes wrote:

> Joe, how likely is it that the government is going to pull the trigger
> after you give them your wallet? It happens all the time on the street.

Yeah, the government _never_ completely destroys people financially by
auditing them and fining the shit out of them for an honest mistake in a tax
return (who's code is so convoluted that they could likely nail anyone if they
really wanted to).  Yet if either side makes a mistake in money owed to the
tax payer, do they get any interest, fines, etc?  Hell no!

> I regard many forms of welfare as cheap insurance, frankly. People who
> become justifiably angry and who in this country can easily get a gun
> scare the hell out of me.

I'm sorry, but there's so such thing as "justifiably angry" to the point of
comitting a crime against another person that had nothing to do with the tax
code, bad job market, etc.

The current system of welfare is completely useless.. it doesn't help anyone
do to no incentive to actually go out and get a paying job.  And that's just
_one_ of the screwed up gov't programs that waste our tax money.

I too would have no problem paying my share of taxes, IF the money weren't
wasted like it is.

--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc. - http://miguelito.org
"Bill Gates is a white Persian cat and a monocle away

------------------------------

From: Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:46:06 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > I find TLC and the History Channel have plenty of shows that suck me in...
>
> I am glad you didn't forget the last two words. <g>

<Voice="Beavis">
Yeah, they suck, suck, SUCK, SUCK, SUCK.... me in.. yeah, heh heh.
</Voice>

Sorry... couldn't resist. :)

I can't tell you how many times I'm ready to get into bed, and then see the
start of some show on TLC or HC... and end up watching the whole damn thing...
resulting in a lack of sleep. :/

From: Courageous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:46:13 GMT

[paying no taxes, but have an income]:

> >If you truly understand this to be true, you can describe,
> >in simple English, the simple accounting to make this happen.
>
> I believe that a little research will reveal those lucky Americans who
> have a net wealth of several tens of millions who paid no tax, none,
> last year. How they did it I don't know;...

If they had several tens of millions and lost money last year,
I'd expect them to not pay income taxes (as is fair). But this
is neither here nor there. Someone made the claim. It's there
duty to back up this claim. It's not my duty to go around hunting
a ghost. I didn't make the claim.

C//

------------------------------

From: Courageous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:48:14 GMT

Re: welfare

> The current system of welfare is completely useless.. it doesn't help anyone
> do to no incentive to actually go out and get a paying job.

I suspect that you are behind the times. Furthermore, we're
arguing about peanuts. Why get all in a rile over peanuts
when there are issues where SERIOUS MONEY is at stake? Look
at the Federal Budget. We can talk later... MUCH LATER!...
about AFDC.

Sheesh.

C//

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:46:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Andres Soolo wrote:
> > Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > You forget Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds.  Sure, Microsoft
> > can use the code in any way that doesn't violate GPL but if they're
> > going to create something obscene and call it Linux, Linus has the
> > right to veto it.
> >
> > Unfortunately, Lignux is not a trademark yet, and it might be very
> > attractive to Microsoft ...
>
> Linus could challenge it, and he would win a trademark infringement
> suit.  It's name is "too similar" to similar, competing product
> already in existance.

Microsoft L++?

I wouldn't put it past them.

-ws

From: Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 01:03:43 GMT

Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> <drewl>
> Damn, that makes me wish I had a high speed connection.
> As it sits, I think trying to download that much stuff
> would probably keep my dialup busy for about a month. :-(

High speed ain't makin' a difference on this site.  The wget I started 5 days
ago is still going. I was wrong when I said it was getting the last episode of
season 1 before... it's got one more after the one it's on.. then it's still
got seasons (or generations if you prefer) 2 and 3 to go yet.  The box is
hammered.

Since someone asked for a URL I'll give it:
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~nmedbery/real_video/

But don't bother unless you'll have a box up for a long time.

The wget I'm running (using flags -vr) is grabbing the first gen episodes in
reverse-alphabetical order, so it got 9, 8, 7.. etc to 3, 36, 35, etc... 2,
29, 28, 27, etc.  It's on 12 now.. so after it does 11 it'll finally have
finished generation 1 (well it got the 3 files from "The Sentinels" first).
So there are 40 total real movies (36 gen 1 eps, 3 sentinels and 1 sentinel
intro), with an average size of about 32.7 meg (so a total of about 1.3Gig)...
the last ep should be done tonight, which makes it roughly 132 hours total
which means I'll have gotten about... oh 2.8kbytes/sec?  [that was a rough
estimate and might be way off]

And I'm on a cable modem.  I can get downloads of over 500Kb/sec fairly
regularly.

From: Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The dusty Linux shelves at CompUSA
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 01:05:14 GMT

mlw wrote:

> It is an economy thing. If you were worth anything you would not be
> working retail. That is Fry's, CompUSA, et. al. The issue is that
> computers are complex. Duh!

The scary thing is that your average person thinks that the people who work at
those stores are knowledgable about the products, when in most cases they're
far from it.