From: Sugata Mukhopadhyay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux implicit security
Date: 25 Mar 2000 20:13:36 GMT

N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>    Open source implicit security avoids things like "advert.dll", a shared
>> Windows library (not installed by the OS itself, but by other programs)
> that
>> sends your information to only God knows.
> yes, open source does that if you care to read the source code :-P

No, it does that if *someone* *somewhere* reads the source

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Giving up on NT (Bob shows his lack of knowledge yet again)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:19:28 GMT

Dave writes:

> George Marengo wrote:

>> <snip>

>>> What I think is irrelevant; the facts are relevant.  Do you have any?

>> What you think is irrelevant? Are you just a mindless robot?

> If you need to ask this question, then you don't know tholen.  He/it
> hasn't earned the name "tholenbot" for nothing!

Obviously you don't know what a bot is either.

>> What I think is relevant because that's among the reasons why I
>> dropped OS/2.

> Any thoughts/ideas/opinions are "irrelevant" to the the tholenbot if
> you disagree with it.

What alleged "tholenbot"?

> Watch it chime in here babbling about "typical invective" or "what
> alledged tholenbot" or something equally useless and obtuse.

How ironic, coming from someone who just posted something useless.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:21:36 GMT

George Marengo writes:

> Dave wrote:

>> George Marengo wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> What you think is irrelevant? Are you just a mindless robot?

>> If you need to ask this question, then you don't know tholen.  He/it
>> hasn't earned the name "tholenbot" for nothing!

> You're quite right, I didn't know tholen... I had to learn about
> tholenbot the hard way.

What alleged "tholenbot"?

> He has an interesting, method of non-debate.

How ironic, coming from someone who avoids the facts to try and talk
about what someone thinks instead.

>>> What I think is relevant because that's among the reasons why I
>>> dropped OS/2.

>> Any thoughts/ideas/opinions are "irrelevant" to the the tholenbot if
>> you disagree with it.  Watch it chime in here babbling about "typical
>> invective" or "what alledged tholenbot" or something equally useless
>> and obtuse.

> Thanks for the information.

Why thank someone for useless "information"?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:24:01 GMT

George Marengo writes:

> Bob Germer wrote:

>> It is quite obvious that you are totally unable to comprehend the Findings
>> of Fact. They clearly, absolutely, unequivocally, without question, beyond
>> a shadow of a doubt contradict what you state above. That makes what you
>> said a lie. That makes you a liar.

> You were right the first time. I was unable to comprehend the
> Findings of Fact because I found them to uninteresting.

Just as I said:  you're not interested in the facts but rather in what
someone thinks.

Tell me, when you want to know whether it's going to rain tomorrow,
do you ask some random person what they think, or do you consult a
meteorologist for some facts?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:28:09 GMT

Jason Bowen writes:

>>> O.K., lets change the subject then.  What do you think these numbers mean
>>> for OS/2?

>> Which numbers, Jason?  You didn't retain any numbers in your follow-up.

> I'm sorry that you can't remember them

I can remember lots of numbers, Jason.  Why do you think I asked about
which ones?

> since you provided a source.

You didn't specify any source when you asked your question, Jason.

> According to the source that YOU provided OS/2 brought in $92 million
> towards IBM's bottom line.

Which directly answered George's question about where the numbers came
from.  If only you could be as direct.

> This is OS/2 advocacy isn't it.

Incorrect; it's answering a question directly.

> Wouldn't you like to talk about that?

I already accomplished what I set out to do, Jason, which was to
answer George's question.  Was there something inadequate about
my answer that needs further discussion?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:29:47 GMT

Jeff Glatt writes:

>>> What you think is irrelevant?

>> Because the facts are relevant.

> And what he thinks is always contrary to the facts,

Liar.  Witness the article to which I referred George.

> which is why what he thinks is therefore irrelevant.

Incorrect.  I already explained why what I think is irrelevant.
Having more reading comprehension problems, Glatt?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:31:00 GMT

George Marengo writes:

> No, I'm not a die-hard supporter of any OS. The OS is simply a means
> to an end for me -- using software that I want or need to use.

Then what is your participation in this newsgroup for you?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: I don't want to stir up any concerns...
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:35:35 GMT

That's your choice. There is IMHO no reason why that lady
from AfB (American Foundation for the Blind) should have any
reason to make these things up.
In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> and we are to believe this?
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8b6pgu$ell$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > but imagine, someone would need 1e6 Linux runtime licenses.
> > What might they good for?
> > Enjoy!
> > Hans
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Begin forwarded posting

> > Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:39:32 -0500 (EST)
> > From: Janina Sajka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Microsoft Outlook and Explorer on Linux?
> > I kid you not.
> > Microsoft has licensed one million run time licenses from Main Soft
> > Corporation to port Internet Explorer and Microsoft Outlook to
Linux,

From: George Marengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 21:12:05 GMT

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:31:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>George Marengo writes:
>
>> No, I'm not a die-hard supporter of any OS. The OS is simply a means
>> to an end for me -- using software that I want or need to use.
>
>Then what is your participation in this newsgroup for you?

I didn't say I don't advocate particular OS's from time to time.
I said I'm not a die-hard supporter; i.e., I will switch an OS when
my needs dictate that I should do so.

My posting to os2.advocacy was because I didn't notice that
someone had cross-posted to nt.advocacy.