From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why Linux on the desktop?
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:11:34 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >See above.  Xess is pretty good.
> >
> >         Xess is actually quite pathetic. A pox on you for
recommending it.

> How so?  Are you saying that nobody should use Xess?

As the developers of the XESS Spreadsheet products, we take pride in
our products and usually receive favorable reviews.  We would appreciate
your input concerning specific issues, desired features, or problems
you have encountered.  Please contact us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wolfgang Weisselberg)
Subject: Re: Giving up on NT
Date: 31 Mar 2000 17:30:38 GMT

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 02:02:48 GMT,
        Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  It is deceptive to say a window manager can give you the Windows user
> interface, because it's not within the means of a Window Manager to
> alter the behavior of programs to make them conform to it.

That is true.

However, the question is/was in how far you want the Windows
Interface.  IMHO you need just so much that the users adapt
quickly without having to relearn too much.  In which case KDE
should be similar enough.

>  The opportunity for a window manager to have that kind of power has
> been thwarted by the use of so many toolkits, something I think is
> unfortunate because it would have made sense to abstract the entire
> GUI from the application - not just what goes on outside the rectangle
> it occupies.

That would of course force shortcuts and hack-arounds.  Under
Windows these are known as Active-X, an endless source of
frustration to gamers and users alike.  One shoe does not fit
every application.  If you want them to be 'themed', you may wish
to look at KDE & friends.

-Wolf"I prefer my apps raw, though"gang

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Subject: Re: New Corel Office for Linux...
Date: 31 Mar 2000 17:38:52 GMT

mlw ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Personally, I have never liked Corel software. CorelDraw was always a
: dog. Micrographix Designer was much better, until Micrographics
: imploded.

Always?  I'm not sure what time period you're referring to, but the one
version of Micrographix Designer that I used was awful.  It was incapable
of scaling multiple objects without moving them relative to one
another.  Zooming did weird things too: lines that were horizontal when
zoomed in became slanted as you zoomed out.  And then there were
fonts: it couldn't handle true-type fonts properly, so if you wanted to
rotate, skew, or even change the apsect of text, you had to use a
different font format.  Yuck.

CorelDraw 3 was my replacement for it, and it sure made me a happy camper.

(Not that this is really the point of your post or even on topic in this
newsgroup, but I think that CorelDraw was a very good product.  Perhaps
they should have stuck with that, instead of trying to compete with
Microsoft in just about every product area...)

Maybe to bring it back on topic, it will be interesting to see what
CorelDraw for Linux will look like.  The current Windows version is
rather unfortunately bloated.  It is unusable on my Pentium 166 with
64M or RAM; I've yet to try it on my Athlon.  Linux ports of Windows apps
generally don't have a reputation for outperforming the originals, do
they?  I fear that it will only be usable on the very newest
hardware.  Fortunately, it has traditionally been easy to older versions
of CorelDraw for Windows, but of course such versions don't exist for
Linux.  Perhaps they should consider releasing a "lite" version, with a
smaller feature set and better performance.

--
David Steinberg                         -o)   Boycott Amazon.com!  Fight
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC     / \   the "1-Click Order" patent:

From: "Cihl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Nice link
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:22:37 GMT

If you're using Windows, please click the link below for
something nice:

file:///c:/aux/aux