Linux-Advocacy Digest #890, Volume #26            Sun, 4 Jun 00 17:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux is so stable... (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Linux is so stable... (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: I Nuked Linux...Win 2K is Light Years Ahead. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux is so stable... (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages) (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages) (Mig Mig)
  Re: The sad Linux story (Mig Mig)
  Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages) (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: I Nuked Linux...Win 2K is Light Years Ahead. (Bastian)
  Re: Canada invites Microsoft north ("Daniel L. Dreibelbis")
  Re: Canada invites Microsoft north (Michael J. Stango)
  Re: The sad Linux story ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: History revision 1.27a  (was Re: There is only one innovation that  (Charlie
Ebert)
  Re: Linux is so stable... (abraxas)
  Re: The sad Linux story (Gary Hallock)
  Re: Canada invites Microsoft north (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: The sad Linux story ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: MacOS X: under the hood... (was Re: There is only one innovation that
matters...) ("James L. Ryan")
  Why Linux should be #1 choice for students! (Jens =?iso-8859-1?Q?Pr=FCfer?=)

Subject: Re: Linux is so stable...
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:36:22 GMT

No-Spam (Terry Porter) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>There is always a log.

I went looking for logs. I found syslogd but no mention of where the log
file is kept. I eventually found a boot log, but not a shutdown log.

>Hmm, which ?
>Ive never seen a Linux app do a stack trace, I think your confused with
>Windows. Linux apps produce core dumps.

I saw a stack trace. That's what it looked like to me.

>Are you that stupid you think it isnt obvious ?

No, but since I'm not lying, do you realise how stupid you are looking to
me?

>Don't be so offended, we get a lot of Wintrolls here, and your a new
>arrival.

I'm not offended. I'm amused.

>What did you really say ?
>
>I see only ambuguity, sarchasm and complaints. And now of course, fake
>indignation.
>
>Standard WinTroll 101 fare.

I said umount died on shutdown. Is that ambiguous? umount died. I don't
know why it did, but it did.

If it's the case that anyone who dares complain that Linux isn't the 100%
reliable system as claimed, and is automatically marked a WinTroll then I'd
say you are in a very sad position indeed and I pity you.

BTW when I next rebooted the LINUX system, fsck checked the drive. I did
the same as before, and the error did not repeat itself. If it doesn't then
I can only put this down an unrepeatable error; however if it does, is
there a shutdown log?

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:38:18 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I'm beginning to believe that when you go to the track, your horse
>always wins....
>
>Do you know what that means Pete.

Nope. Care to explain that one? Is it an American expression? I'm not
American, BTW, I'm British.

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: I Nuked Linux...Win 2K is Light Years Ahead.
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:39:25 GMT

It's a cheap imitator.

simon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:39:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Ahlstrom) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>You are filled with anger, my son.  Channel your energy into finding a
>solution.
>In any case, since you're system suddenly failed, either you have a
>hardware problem that cropped up, or you made an ill-advised
>configuration change, or you ejected a filesystem device without
>unmounting it.

Instinct and past experience tells me it probably wasn't a hardware fault.
Probably. However, I won't rule it out...

>Many of us still have a lot of Win-boy in us.  That is a good thing.
>To dual-boot is to pull the yin from your yang.

To dual boot is to get the best (or worst!) of the two worlds!

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:42:43 GMT

On Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:25:14 GMT, Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mig Mig) wrote in <8hd89t$sqh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>I cant simply because i do not have anything installed that smells of
>>SMB. I wont install Samba just to do you a favor. As i mentioned in the
>
>And when I RTFM and don't find any mention of how to use smbfs? What then?

        ...then you didn't look very hard.

>>Oh.. i certainly can take the heat.. Daily i have to deal with idiots -
>>on Windows - that not even know how to do  a right-click with their
>>mouse much less read some documentation. Youre a little more
>>sofisticated than that.. but you still dont bother to read and search
>>for the necessary documentation. Thats a Windows desease that you have
>>to loose if you want to gain some respect.
>
>And when I RTFM and... I've already said that haven't I?
>
>I've found precious little description of smbfs, and that's with a
>determined search. Or maybe I shouldn't use undocumented features?

        There's really not much to tell.

        You have a mount point and a device node. This is pretty much
        all that's needed to be dealt with for <any>fs. The syntax for
        specifying a sharename is even the same as it is under Windows.

                                                                       / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 21:49:45 +0200

Pete Goodwin wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mig Mig) wrote in <8hd89t$sqh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >I cant simply because i do not have anything installed that smells of
> >SMB. I wont install Samba just to do you a favor. As i mentioned in the
>
> And when I RTFM and don't find any mention of how to use smbfs? What then?

In anothter post you state that you used the smbmount command that links to
the smbmnt command. If i remenber correct the description of smbmount must
contain some text about the smbmnt command- thats the program that actually
does the mounting and im certain that the description says that. If you
want to do something special then you got to go to the base command. This
cannot be that difficult to understand. If you dont then keep your hands
from Samba.

Obviously Samba is more than you can handle - so stay away from it.
Networking can be a very complex endeavour that you simply are not up to.
Its hard to admit Pete... but i think you will feal much better if you
concentrate on end-user applications

> >Oh.. i certainly can take the heat.. Daily i have to deal with idiots -
> >on Windows - that not even know how to do  a right-click with their
> >mouse much less read some documentation. Youre a little more
> >sofisticated than that.. but you still dont bother to read and search
> >for the necessary documentation. Thats a Windows desease that you have
> >to loose if you want to gain some respect.
>
> And when I RTFM and... I've already said that haven't I?

Kind of.. i suspect you only have one eye open.. but again youre the one
having the problem. BTW i recomend using dejanews when searching for
peculiar problems.. i use it when dealing with Windows problems.. much
better than any knowledgebase or HOWTO.. but again its required that one
"can read" (so to say remove the crap out there)

> I've found precious little description of smbfs, and that's with a
> determined search. Or maybe I shouldn't use undocumented features?

Ohhh.. if you can find some undocumented then i would be surprised. It
would also mean that youre a troll.. i hope youre not, but if you are youre
certainly a well behaved one. Its actually a joy to be trolled by you Pete
(If youre a troll)

> >Why is the bible involved? Rementer "God helps those that help them
> >selves".. in other words : RTFM or piss off... God approves my comments
> >to you.
>
> Not in any bible I know. Care to quote chapter and verse please? AS for god
> approving of your comments, I don't think he gives a damn.

Well.. i was translatting from danish.. but you must remeber something
quite like that.
Youre right... i dont think he cares :-)

------------------------------

From: Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The sad Linux story
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 21:52:00 +0200

Pete Goodwin wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Ahlstrom) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >You need to reinstall from scratch.  You've screwed something up with
> >all the dicking-around of which you refuse to tell us, instead acting
> >outraged
> >that we doubt you, as if you were some sort of LINUX guru.
>
> Oh boy is that an admission. You mean I have to reinstall from scratch?
> Isn't that one of things I've been told I don't need to do?
>
> As for all the dicking around, care to tell me what I've done? Or what you
> think I've done?
>
> Shall I tell you what 'dicking' around I've done. None. Nada. Zip.
>
> >You throw much heat, little light.
>
> I throw much heat because this is an 'out of the box' installation of Linux
> Mandrake 7.0. I've made no modifications to it. How could I, I hardly know
> the system that well?

Actually the first ISO with Mandrake 7.0 had some error on it... If you
have that one then i would recommend that you update the ISO image.. it
came out 2-3 weeks later.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:51:04 GMT

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000 21:49:45 +0200, Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Pete Goodwin wrote:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mig Mig) wrote in <8hd89t$sqh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>
>> >I cant simply because i do not have anything installed that smells of
>> >SMB. I wont install Samba just to do you a favor. As i mentioned in the
>>
>> And when I RTFM and don't find any mention of how to use smbfs? What then?
>
>In anothter post you state that you used the smbmount command that links to
>the smbmnt command. If i remenber correct the description of smbmount must
>contain some text about the smbmnt command- thats the program that actually
>does the mounting and im certain that the description says that. If you
>want to do something special then you got to go to the base command. This
>cannot be that difficult to understand. If you dont then keep your hands
>from Samba.

        One wonders WHY he needs to bother with any special options to
        begin with. Ideally, a tool should come with reasonable defaults
        such that most people need not bother with special options. I'm
        not convinced that this is not the case for mount/smbmount/smbfs.

[deletia]

        It seems that he's just looking to  overcomplicate things.

                                                                       / | \

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bastian)
Date: 4 Jun 2000 19:54:22 GMT

On Sat, 03 Jun 2000 21:18:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Scurried down to my local shop and picked up
>Windows 2000 Professional the other day and I have
>not looked buck.

Huh? Either you "have not looked back" or you "have not looked at
your bucks". Guess which is more likely after you bought a "long-live
M$" product...

>DIE-LINUX-DIE....LONG LIVE
>WINDOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>BET THAT SCRUED UP UR STINKY LINUX NEWSREEDERS.

What do you mean? The exclamation marks? Well, my newsreader even survived
your crapy spelling, so what are some hundred !!!'s.

Bastian

------------------------------

From: "Daniel L. Dreibelbis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Canada invites Microsoft north
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:58:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mayor
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <dreibel-
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Daniel L.
> Dreibelbis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <look-ya02408000R0306001123380001@news>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >(Michael J. Stango) wrote:

> office
> >>
> >> Annex Canada and make it the 51st state? <g>
> >>

> >   not bloody likely. Last time the US tried to annex Canada
> was the War
> >of 1812 - and Canada wound up handing back the US Army their
> asses on a
> >platter with a side of mint sauce (proabaly provided by Laura
> Secord). :)
>
> What battle was that? There was a plan to invade Canada by the
> US during the war of 1812 but it was never implemented.Two of
> the forces simply refused to cross the border (The Ft. Niagra
> detachment under Gen. Stephen Van Rensselaer and later under
> Gen. Alexander Smyth and the force based at Lake Champlian under
> Gen. Henry Dearborn).

   ah, so they were smart enough not to go up against Canada :)

Due to grossly incompetent leadership Gen
> Hull ended up surrendering Detroit to a much smaller British
> force. That was the only defeat in the whole plan and it was
> from a British (Or as you're pretending them to be - Canadian)
> invasion of the US not the other way 'round.

   Try the attempt to take Toronto, which was thwarted by in no small
part that meddling busybody Laura Secord :)

> So just were was this major handing of the US its asses by the
> Canadians (or more correctly British forces based in Canada)?

   two years later, when we got revenge for the sacking of Fort York by
torching your White House :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael J. Stango)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 20:01:00 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Daniel L.
Dreibelbis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <look-ya02408000R0306001123380001@news>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (Michael J. Stango) wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, JFW
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Wanna theorize what it'd pay or do to keep it's entire office
> > > infrastructure from becoming a foreign import?
> >
> > Annex Canada and make it the 51st state? <g>
> >

>    not bloody likely. Last time the US tried to annex Canada was the War
> of 1812 - and Canada wound up handing back the US Army their asses on a
> platter with a side of mint sauce (proabaly provided by Laura Secord). :)

True, but that was a long time ago... right now, most of Canada's greatest
warriors spend their days on golf courses somewhere... unless they play for
the Devils or the Stars, of course. :)

~Philly

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
Michael J. Stango  --who is known as 'mjstango' at his ISP, 'home.com'

"Intel. We put the 'backward' in 'backward-compatible.'"

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 16:07:40 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Obviously we don't have any common basis on this issue, so I'm not
> going to discuss it with you any further.

Good. Does this mean that you'll stop trolling?

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy
Subject: Re: History revision 1.27a  (was Re: There is only one innovation that
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 20:13:10 GMT

Marc Schlensog wrote:
> =

> Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [Big time snippage]
> > And yet your only support for your argument is the notion (now shown =
> > be false) that she was just "a homemaker".
> That=B4s the problem with Stephen, Boris, Drestin,
> Chad and all the other wintrolls.
> The don=B4t accept the opinion of others, when it
> differs that much from their own, even when the
> others got proof and those trolls don=B4t.  Is this
> a sign of brain-washing?  Bottomless stupidity?
> Idiocracy?  Or is it the regular behavior of
> WinLemmings(TM) ?
> =

> [.sigsnip]
> =

> Marc

It will be sad for them when they have failed in the end.
Another 5 years of Windows and even less for them.
I guess they will finally give up in say, 3 years.

You must remember that to be in Artificial Intelligence means
you have to have some intelligence to begin with.

HA HA HA...

A hearty laugh they are.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 4 Jun 2000 20:13:21 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Ahlstrom) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>You are filled with anger, my son.  Channel your energy into finding a
>>solution.
>>In any case, since you're system suddenly failed, either you have a
>>hardware problem that cropped up, or you made an ill-advised
>>configuration change, or you ejected a filesystem device without
>>unmounting it.

> Instinct and past experience tells me it probably wasn't a hardware fault.
> Probably. However, I won't rule it out...

Wouldnt rule out perhaps popping out a floppy before rebooting?  Pulling
a CD out of your CDROM drive maybe?

>>Many of us still have a lot of Win-boy in us.  That is a good thing.
>>To dual-boot is to pull the yin from your yang.

> To dual boot is to get the best (or worst!) of the two worlds!

I dualed and tripled booted for 4 years.  Its the worst of any world.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 16:14:06 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Ahlstrom) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >You need to reinstall from scratch.  You've screwed something up with
> >all the dicking-around of which you refuse to tell us, instead acting
> >outraged
> >that we doubt you, as if you were some sort of LINUX guru.
>
> Oh boy is that an admission. You mean I have to reinstall from scratch?
> Isn't that one of things I've been told I don't need to do?
>
> As for all the dicking around, care to tell me what I've done? Or what you
> think I've done?
>
> Shall I tell you what 'dicking' around I've done. None. Nada. Zip.
>
> >You throw much heat, little light.
>
> I throw much heat because this is an 'out of the box' installation of Linux
> Mandrake 7.0. I've made no modifications to it. How could I, I hardly know
> the system that well?
>
> Pete

Try running the followiing command:

rpm -Va

This will verify all installed packages and report any changed or missing
files.   Then, if necessary, you can just re-install any corrupted packages.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 20:15:11 GMT

"Michael J. Stango" wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Daniel L.
> Dreibelbis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > In article <look-ya02408000R0306001123380001@news>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > (Michael J. Stango) wrote:

> > > Annex Canada and make it the 51st state? <g>
> > >

> >    not bloody likely. Last time the US tried to annex Canada was the War
> > of 1812 - and Canada wound up handing back the US Army their asses on a
> > platter with a side of mint sauce (proabaly provided by Laura Secord). :)
>
> True, but that was a long time ago... right now, most of Canada's greatest
> warriors spend their days on golf courses somewhere... unless they play for
> the Devils or the Stars, of course. :)
>
> ~Philly
>
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> Michael J. Stango  --who is known as 'mjstango' at his ISP, 'home.com'
>
> "Intel. We put the 'backward' in 'backward-compatible.'"

I can see Bill Gates mounting his horse right now!

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 16:13:52 -0400

gro.emordnilap@mst wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
>
> > Quick, does COP mean Copy or Policeman? :-)  Does /R mean
> > /RECURSIVE or /REPLACE?
>
> The VMS abbreivations are write-only. If there is both /recursive
> and /replace, then /r will be ambiguous. There is no arbitray
> precendence of abbreviations. If Linux implemented abbreivations, it
> would do them incorrectly, and anything you typed would be interpreted
> randomly and abritrarily. This is because Linux sucks, and has a very
> long history of screwing the user over.

Evidence? It has screwed me over.

> > Of course, I'm being very sarcastic here.  Personally, I don't know
> > what to make of the issue; obviously, there are many problems with
> > Unix documentation and many problems with the historicity (if that's
> > a word) of Unix documentation.  It may be better to toss out man,
> > info, help (yes, that exists!), built-in command documentation,
> > and other such abominations and replace them with a modern GUI-style
> > RTF or HTML system complete with pictures, hyperlinks, examples,
> > diagrams, context-sensitive balloon tips, and references to a
> > call center somewhere in either Microsoft or RedHat's/Debians/you-
> pick-'em
> > headquarters.
>
> As I've said, the main problem with Linux documentation isn't the
> presentation (though that is the worst in the industry, also), but the
> content. All of it is written by programmers, who don't know how to
> write. I have never worked with engineers who know how to write; DEC is
> one of the most clueful companies, one of only ones in the industry
> which has a dedicated staff of technical writers in each department,
> and never asks engineers to write documentation. VMS documentation is
> much better than Linux documentation, but that doesn't say much; DEC's
> documentation is by far the best in the industry.
>
> > Of course, somebody's going to have to write all this stuff.  (I do
> > have a friend who'd be almost perfect for the job, but she's a little
> > busy making money writing some stuff for HP... :-) )
>
> The problem is, jobs like writing technical documentation are not as
> interesting as adding even more kludges to the kernel, or trying to
> reduce the number of bugs in GCC to less than a six figure quantity, so
> it is much less likely to be done voluntarily. Even those who see fit
> to publish paper Linux documentation see it more reasonable to merely
> print the existing offensive documentation, rather than writing
> acceptable documentation.
>
> > Now that one should probably be moved into the archives. :-)
> > That's a holdover from the libc4 days.  (I'm curious, though;
> > how many systems out there are still running libc4?)
>
> Highly doubtful. The EXT2 file system is more vulerable to random
> deletions and constant corruptions than any other in the industry. If a
> such a system actually stayed up that long without being constantly re-
> installed from scratch, the pope would declare it a miracle.

Really? I've never lost data because of file system deletion.

<snip>

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "James L. Ryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy
Subject: Re: MacOS X: under the hood... (was Re: There is only one innovation that
matters...)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 20:15:44 GMT

In article <8hbudi$los$10$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Marc Schlensog"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> BTW, what was this UCSD P-System comparable with?
> Is there anyone, who might give me a link to more info?

If you haven't already discovered the search engine Google, now is the
time to do so. A Google search for "UCSD P-System" produces a generous
supply of links to relevant information.

As far as anything comparable, I think perhaps the closest was the
Neliac system developed at the Naval Electronics Laboratory in San
Diego. The Neliac language was a variant of that originally specified in
the Algol 58 report. The Neliac compiler was itself written in Neliac
and was easily ported from host to  host.

--
James L. Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Jens =?iso-8859-1?Q?Pr=FCfer?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why Linux should be #1 choice for students!
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 20:44:47 +0200

Dear fellow readers,

Linux + LaTeX is IMHO the best choice for master's or Ph.D. thesis
writers. The system is very stable and simply does not crash taking huge
parts of your labour with it. A large number of great scientific tools
is available for free. The somewhat limited number of cool games
available make concentrating on your subject all the easier.

LaTeX (which is available for Windows as well, if you are slightly less
bold) enables the author to concentrate fully on the contents of the
text and does never ever mess up footnotes, references, enumeration of
equations, figures, tables ... not even when your document exceeds 500
pages.

The fact that Linux stability, emacs capabilities and LaTeX powerfull
layout processing work so well together make it the perfect system for
the serious student who wants to get the job done with minimum hassle.

This is well known amongst Physicists and Mathematicians (who tend to
use LaTeX anyhow) but is also true for any other
"non-equation-producing" subjects. The very few commands needed to
layout plain english texts are easy to comprehend even for ppl studying
law or medicine! The result is beautiful and the well done professional
layout of the documents is appreciated by professors who after all have
to read and judge about it.

Another interesting point is the especially easy conversion into
standrad conform html and pdf using latex2html or pdflatex packages.
AFAIK not even the Office 2000 Version of Word gives you PDF support out
of the box.

The plain ASCII nature of LaTeX markup make an international cooperation
much easier than the frequent hassle with M$ Word version problems (not
only the 95, 97 or 2000 Office versions but the national flavour as well
... my computer at university refused to open a document I got from
polish colleagues insisting I had to install the far east version of
Office 9something!)

Last but not least both -- Linux as well as LaTeX -- are available as
open source software for a large variety of systems. Students who are
usually on a tight budget should not waste their limited funds on
inferior products.

For further references how to obtain Linux and/or LaTeX (Windows
versions available as well) please see

http://www.linux.org

http://www.latex-project.org

Cheers

Jens

--
WYSIWYG is a step backwards. Human labor is used to do that
which the computer can do better.

                                Andrew S. Tanenbaum