Linux-Advocacy Digest #107, Volume #26           Thu, 13 Apr 00 13:13:11 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux Counter - Iceland is most Linux-dense country (bronsing)
  Re: Linux Counter - Iceland is most Linux-dense country (bronsing)
  Re: Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [0/1]
  Re: Corel Linux Office 2000 and Win32 Emulator Making Progress (Bob Lyday)
  Re: How does WINE work? ("Shumway, Gordon")
  Re: How does WINE work? (Bob Lyday)
  Re: Linux Counter - Iceland is most Linux-dense country ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Now well OT Communism v Marxism (was: Introduction to Linux article for
commentary) ("Viktor Shamov")
  Re: What GUI development tools are there for Linux? (abraxas)
  Re: What GUI development tools are there for Linux? (abraxas)
  Sendmail refuses connection ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux for a web developer ("Rich Cloutier")
  Re: You anti-Microsoft types just don't get it, do you? (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Rumors ... (Bob Hauck)
  Re: 2000: Hammer blows to the Micro$oft machine! (Norman D. Megill)
  Re: What GUI development tools are there for Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: DHCP setting ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Programming Languages ("John W. Stevens")
  Re: How does WINE work? (Bob Lyday)

From: bronsing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Counter - Iceland is most Linux-dense country
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:08:01 +0200

you mean most pple are ignorant, dumb and lack basic knowledge about the
world?
you're right, you're proving it yourself

robert

------------------------------

From: bronsing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:10:16 +0200

and your comment is.....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [0/1]
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:15:34 GMT

On 10 Apr 2000 10:41:56 GMT, James Stevenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>what M$ really need todo is almost scrap the whoel lot and start again
>and do it properly (they can afford to)

They supposidly did w/ NT.  The problem is that their architects are
morons.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:19:06 -0700
From: Bob Lyday <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Corel Linux Office 2000 and Win32 Emulator Making Progress

> > fected, any win32 application that runs under Windows should
> > also run well under Wine and Linux without modification (if
> > the app itself is bug-free).  Wine will be, in effect, a
> > win32 subsystem for Linux.
> >
> > That will be good for users, who can run win32 Windows soft-
> > ware (some of which they may already own) under Linux.  It
> > will also be good for software companies, because they can
> > develop a single version of each product, and it will run
> > under both operating systems.

Exactly how well is Wine supposed to work?  Will they ever get
it to where the programs are as stable as they are under
Losedoze?

> Whoa.
>
> You're saying that developers should write their programs for Win32?
>
> Can Linux really win if the only thing it offers is a Windows emulator so
> users can run Windows software?
>
> It didn't work for IBM's OS/2, or for DEC, or for Sun's WABI, and God only
> knows how long we tried to get SoftWindows to work acceptably (and those
> guys had the Windows source code to work from).
>
> What makes you think it will work now?

It will be the best thing that ever happened to any altOS.  It's
not an emulator.  It'll be just like running a native app.  Over
and over again, I hear people tell me that the only reason they
run Windows is cuz of the apps.  This will end that argument
forever, or at least till M$ breaks it somehow...

All those other systems were emulators and this is not an
emulation.  That is what the acronym stands for.
--
Bob
"We have increased our prices over the last 10 years [while]

------------------------------

From: "Shumway, Gordon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: How does WINE work?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:05:45 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> The Win32 API is just that... and API.
>
> WINE takes Win32API calls just like the Win32 API does, and converts
> them into the appropriate X calls or kernel calls (just like the Win32
> API on windows does).

So to clarify this, the Win32 call is a library call and not a system
call, and WINE is subsitute for the Win32 library.

So if an Windows application statically linked with the Win32 library
(assuming that is possible under Windows) or bypassed the Win32 library
entirely and made direct Windows system calls, the application would
fail running under WINE.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:24:53 -0700
From: Bob Lyday <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Shumway, Gordon" wrote:

> I had been under the impression that WINE was an emulator (possibly
> requiring Linux kernel hooks) that intercepted Windows system calls.
>
> http://www.winehq.com specifically states that WINE is not an emulator,
> but it can execute Windows executable.

It's not an emulation.  It should be almost as fast as native
code.

> So how does it work?  Is it just a replacement for the windows DLLs?
> Will it crash if a windows program makes a windows system call without
> calling a routine in the DLL?

They are making a library of the Win32 API and then inserting it
into Unix.  Supposedly, IBM has already done this with OS/2.  I
know someone who works there and he tells me that lots of people
there run Win32 apps on OS/2 every day.  They just can't run it
outside the campus is all due to M$.  Not sure exactly how it
all works.  With OS/2 they were converting a lot of the Win32
system calls to OS/2 system calls.

> "Mark S. Bilk" wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Corel is contributing to the development of Wine, the win32
> > emulator for Linux.  This is a good thing, as it will allow
> > a lot of Windows software to run under Linux directly, without
> > needing any modification, nor a copy of Windows.

Yes and it is being ported over to OS/2 (Odin project) and BeOS
(BeWine project).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:28:07 GMT

bronsing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

        I don't know what happened, but have screwed up when I tried
replying. No matter. Except for one point, Next time, send replies via eMail
*or* newsgroups, *not* both.

From: "Viktor Shamov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Now well OT Communism v Marxism (was: Introduction to Linux article for
commentary)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:07:31 +0400

Richard Watson ÐÉÛÅÔ × ÓÏÏÂÝÅÎÉÉ ...
>John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Donovan writes:
>> > IMO, where Marx really screwed up was with the idea that a "class war"
<
>> > was necessary or even desirable.
>>
>> "Class war" is just a euphemism for "kill the rich and take their money",
>> an idea that's been around for millennia.  It's only a good idea for
those
>> few who are clever, murderous, and lucky enough to end up in the new
ruling
>> class.  It's a negative sum game that always makes the poor poorer.
>
>I think Marx felt that "Class war" was the only available option to
>acheiving his ends. I think it's important to remember that Marx was
>in the ruling classes and had servants in his house. He was a
>theorist in every sense of the word.
>
>> > The countries that come closest to getting what Marx wanted are leftist
>> > democracies, and the changes were evolutionary ( as opposed to
>> > revolutionary ) and invariably came about by way of a democratic
process.

>> "Democratic government" is as much of an oxymoron as "communist country".
>
>What is so hard to acheive, democracy or government?
>
>I disagree certainly with the second part of your statement. There are
>communities based on principles similar to communism which are arrived
>at by people opting in (often to the mutual benefit of all). It would
>certainly be a challenge to apply this to a country but certainly not
>impossible (particularly not for a small country).

In Russia never was communism , was totalitorism, dictatorship ...

Viktor Shamov
Network admin.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: What GUI development tools are there for Linux?
Date: 13 Apr 2000 15:41:55 GMT

Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> abraxas wrote:
>> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > One reason that has kept me away from Linux is the lack of GUI development
>> > tools for it. This may change this year as Borland are going to release
>> > Kylix, a version of Delphi for Linux.
>>
>> > Another reason has been the desktop. What I saw a while ago did not impress
>> > me - however, I had a spare PC at home so I installed Linux on it
>> > (something I try out every so often). I tried Gnome but didn't think much
>> > of it - then I tried KDE - ah yes, MUCH better.
>>
>> I see.  What you appear to want is Windows.

> Hmmm.. keep in mind that Gnome is essentially a KDE clone and a bad one at
> that

Actually it isnt.  Talk to developers from both sides.  They both cater to
the needs of people who enjoy the windows GUI.  Thankfully for the rest of us
there are dozens of very nice alternatives.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 13 Apr 2000 15:43:58 GMT

Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2000 13:23:29 GMT, abraxas wrote:

>>> Another reason has been the desktop. What I saw a while ago did not impress
>>> me - however, I had a spare PC at home so I installed Linux on it
>>> (something I try out every so often). I tried Gnome but didn't think much
>>> of it - then I tried KDE - ah yes, MUCH better.
>>
>>I see.  What you appear to want is Windows.

> I use KDE and I certainly don't "want windows". Where do you draw
> the connection ?

As an X right on top of the start button. :)

> Actually, GNOME resembles KDE much more closely than KDE resembles windows.

And FVWM95 resembles it even more closely.  The point is that they both follow
the windows GUI method exceedingly closely.

> So if you're going to tell me that KDE is a "windows clone", I'll tell you
> that GNOME is a "KDE clone".

Youd be wrong.  KDE was purposely designed with some aspects of windows
in mind, just as Gnome was.

> Hell, you could be forgiven for thinking that GTK/GNOME is QT/KDE without
> name spaces at a first glance.

GTK is a better system.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.mail.sendmail,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Sendmail refuses connection
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:05:56 GMT

Could you kindly share your experience with me?
I have some questions about sendmail on a DEC Unix server.

Why would sendmail stoped accept connections?
I was wondering how to force sendmail to start accepting connections
again.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

--
Auction Booth:
http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/booth/acunet3278

From: "Rich Cloutier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux for a web developer
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:24:55 -0400

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:18:26 -0400, Rich C wrote:
>
> >That's why you have to test, test, test. Every browser renders pages
> >diferently,
> >and each browser renders pages differently at different resolutions and
> >color depths.
>
> This is why it's a good idea to stick with logical markup where possible
> ( something which the "WYSIWYG" tools discourage ). This way, you need
> only check that your style sheet works "as advertised" on all browsers,
> and you don't need to check how every single physical tag gets rendered.
>
> --
> Donovan

I've never had a problem editing a page with FrontPage AFTER I've gotten
it to work properly (I've gotten to know the program and qhich functions do
good things and which do bad things.) However, I don't do much with
databases and other scripts that require a strict page format, as I've said,
and in these cases, I might tend to agree with you.

-- Rich C.
"Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: You anti-Microsoft types just don't get it, do you?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:15:22 GMT

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:48:15 -0400, Keith T. Williams
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>It's still the physical representation of an Idea, you haven't diminished
>the National Bank of Intellectual Capital by withdrawing an idea from it.

        You can say the same thing of conventional piracy actually.

>You have merely used a body of knowledge to create a new thing.  That is why

        You have used something that is not yours to create a new thing.
        If you did this with your employers tools, or on their time, they
        would lay claim to it.

>both patent and copyright law require substantial differences from existing
>work in order to issue either a patent or a copyright, which is why even if

        This is true only in theory and in practice "substantial" is not
        well enough defined to be useful. That's why there is such a
        mess with patents now.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Rumors ...
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:31:31 GMT

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:16:55 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>No, Microsoft specifically negotiated for the right to integrate products,
>and the DOJ agreed to it.

Yes, but since the case was _specifically_ about integrating IE, one would
have thought that that language did not cover IE.  But the DOJ failed to
get that in writing, so you can argue they made a mistake.  I don't think
you have a leg to stand on wrt MS having been "tripped up" by the DOJ
though. The MS lawyers knew exactly what they were doing when they put
that language in.

It is hard for me to imagine that MS had not planned to use that language
in exactly the way they used it.  It looks a lot like they negotiated in
bad faith, and apparently the DOJ lawyers saw it that way as well.

>3 years later, long after MS had been doing the integration, the DOJ came
>down and lost in court.  That's why the new anti-trust case was brought,
>to overrule the consent decree.

Well, the 3-year delay wasn't due to nothing happening.  If you remember
there were a number of injuctions filed to try to stop MS from shipping
the integrated product.  You make it sound as if the DOJ sat on it's hands
for three years waiting to spring some sort of trap.  That isn't the case
at all.

The "tying" issue was the reason that the DOJ had threatened to sue MS for
anti-trust, which threat brought about the consent decree in the first
place.  The dispute over the consent decree was basically a contract
dispute and the ruling was that what the DOJ thought they had agreed to is
not what the words actually said.  They had been outfoxed by MS.  I'm sure
that having been hoodwinked made them have warm and fuzzy feelings about
MS business practices. So they followed through on their original threat
to sue MS for anti-trust (which is why MS signed the decree in the first
place).

IOW, the DOJ made a mistake and in their usual imitable fashion MS took
maximum advantage of it.  They _could_ have followed the spirit of the
agreement and kept IE as a separate product.  Surely they were fully aware
that the DOJ would consider integrating IE a violation.

In other words, this time MS made a mistake.  They thought the DOJ was
weak and would let them "get off on a technicality".  They were wrong.

>The judgement has nothing to do with the consent decree.  My point is
>simply this.  Why should Microsoft have thought they were doing anything
>wrong when the DOJ told them they could do something, and a court of law
>upheld that right?

The court merely agreed to allow the decree to go forward, it did not rule
on the merits of the DOJ's case. The original judge in fact thought the
decree was not strong enough and rejected it, but that was overturned on
appeal.

MS executives knew _exactly_ what they were doing when _they_ asked for
the language about "integration".  They surely knew why they wanted it and
what use they were going to make of it.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Norman D. Megill)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: 2000: Hammer blows to the Micro$oft machine!
Date: 13 Apr 2000 12:35:48 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> TeX - highly flexible, but not WYSIWYG -- but then, WYSIWYG might be
>      slightly overrated

I disagree.  TeX may be the ONLY true WYSIWYG.  I suppose what you mean
is that the ASCII source obviously doesn't look like the rendered
result; but neither does RTF nor HTML source.  With TeX/LaTeX most
people prefer to work with the ASCII source, since it gives them a great
deal of flexibility, but there are packages like Lyx that let you work
directly with the rendering, like you do with Word.

OTOH, MS Word breaks pages differently depending on your printer type or
Word service pack number, which can drive you nuts trying to discuss a
Word document over the phone.  My copy might have 42 pages; hers has 44;
so "the last paragraph on p. 33" becomes meaningless.  In a number of
instances I've resorted to FAXing the physical printed Word document to
relevant parties so that a meaningful phone discussion can take place.

TeX painstakingly follows established typesetting standards, unlike
Word.  Its output looks like a fine professionally typeset book, rather
than the cheap office-memo/marketing-flyer look of a printed Word
document.  If you show someone an office memo written in TeX they often
do a double-take, seeing there's "something different" about it, and
tend to be impressed.

There are no known bugs in TeX, and probably there are no bugs period.
The last release by Knuth (who will pay you if you find a bug) was many
years ago and it will probably never be changed again.  It is truly a
masterpiece, probably the most "bug-free" piece of sophisticated
software ever written.  Nearly all professional scientific journals (at
least in physics/math) now require their authors to submit papers in
LaTeX, and anyone foolish enough to send in a Word document will have
their paper politely rejected.

(BTW TeX/LaTeX are free and open-source.)

--Norm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:44:20 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) writes:

> Actually it isnt.  Talk to developers from both sides.  They both cater to
> the needs of people who enjoy the windows GUI.  Thankfully for the rest of us
> there are dozens of very nice alternatives.

        I happen to like Gnome, but then, I mostly use it to open up multiple
xterms and run console programs in them.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: DHCP setting
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:01:50 -0400

Pig wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I  am now using the SuSE Linux 6.3.
> I need to change it to DHCP.
> I just get the IP address of the Proxy Server.
> How can I do that?
> Pls. help and reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Thanks.

Run netcfg (as root).
Select interfaces.
Select eth0.
Edit.
Pick DHCP.
Activate.

--
Mark Bratcher
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "John W. Stevens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Programming Languages
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:03:03 -0600

Lee Sau Dan wrote:

>     John> Lee Sau Dan wrote:
>     >>  So, is a ZIP file a programming language?
>
>     John> Yep.
>
>     >> It does give instructions to a system (ZIP decompressor) to do
>     >> something useful!
>
>     John> Yep.  And what happens when you feed illegal instructions to
>     John> a zip file decompressor?
>
>     John> ERROR messages! ;-)
>
> It crashes, though not with a blue screen.

Umm . . . no, I you can get error messages too . . . but that's besides
the point, right?  What is a crash, but an error message?

--

If I spoke for HP --- there probably wouldn't BE an HP!

John Stevens

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:09:40 -0700
From: Bob Lyday <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Shumway, Gordon" wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > The Win32 API is just that... and API.
> >
> > WINE takes Win32API calls just like the Win32 API does, and converts
> > them into the appropriate X calls or kernel calls (just like the Win32
> > API on windows does).
> >

> So to clarify this, the Win32 call is a library call and not a system
> call, and WINE is subsitute for the Win32 library.
>
> So if an Windows application statically linked with the Win32 library
> (assuming that is possible under Windows) or bypassed the Win32 library
> entirely and made direct Windows system calls, the application would
> fail running under WINE.

All Windows apps use the API.

Wine is coming along.  Lotus Notes supposedly runs better on
Wine than on Windows.  It's a very hard job, though.  They have
been working on this since 1993!  Supposedly some ISV's are
getting interested.  Writing for the Windows platform is a dead
end, anyway.  There is some guy in Silicon Valley going around
collecting $ for it.  And Corel and Macadamian have ~couple
dozen full-time people on it.  The Odin folks are helping out,
too.