  Re: MS caught breaking web sites ("Drestin Black")

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: i cant blieve you people!!
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 00:20:52 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In <8e7m4j$n6v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>writes:
> |In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> |

> |: "David D. Huff Jr." wrote:
> |:|
> |:| There should be parties in the streets! BillG should also be tried for
> |:| crimes against humanity. Because of his blind ideology to put every one out
> |:| of business with HIS vision of the future. Thank God, that this type of
> |:| global tyranny was stopped!
> |
> |: Absolutely.
> |
> |: The nerd is a megalomaniac.
> |
> |True nerddom requires technical saavy.
> |Linus and Alan can be nerds if they so desire.
> |But Bill Gates?  He's just a magalomaniac that *looks* like a nerd.
> |
> |Calling BillG a nerd is an insult to nerds everywhere...
>
> Absolutely true; except, Gates doesn't look like a nerd, he looks
> like some unwashed street people in an expensive suit.

Nah, ever since he bought a wife, he's been a lot more well kempt.

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What of OS - Advocacy?
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 00:23:09 GMT

What will become when Microsoft dies?

Will we still have OS - Advocacy newsgroups?

If so, what would they be like.

Would it be RedHat users against Suse users?
Debian users against FreeBSD users?

There will be no Microsoft soon!  I can hear the aweful wind
comming from the WINTROLL'S as the pass their wisdom!

Take note of their rantings my brothers!  You are watching history in
the making here!  No special graphics or computer simulations such as
we see on the Discovery Channel with all those Dinosaurs!

We are witnessing the death of an operating system and the death of
a company!

I suppose that there will be no more advocacy newsgroups then.
After all, the Linux community rarely fights amongst itself or with
the BSD community.  What do they have to fight for anyway!

Their OS's will never die and they don't have thousands of dollars tied
up in highly proprietary Microsoft Applications either!

So there's no reason for them to fight!  You hardly every see them fight
at all.

So the death of Microsoft will actually mean peaceful co-existance for
all computer
users across the planet!  What a wonderful idea.

And let us all go to the Museum to see the Microsoft wonders of
yester-year!
The golden age where people actually bought their OS's from stores!

BTW - I'm converting two more Windows 98 users to Linux!
I enjoy saving souls.

Love, Peace and mutual-multiprocessing-cluster-power to the people!

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Government to break up Microsoft
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 00:28:03 GMT

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 23:48:40 GMT, Otto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Mike Marion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Otto wrote:
>>
>> > For most people the Windows is a better desktop OS.
>>
>> Ok, that statement I can accept a little more.  It was the blanket
>"windows is
>> better" that was getting to me.
>
>Sorry... :)
>

>> Even this isn't necessarily true either.  It's hard to say that it's
>> definitively better when probably 99% of those 90% have never even touched
>> different OS.
>
>Arguably, but you have a point. The question is why they didn't touch a
>different OS? Is it because they were deprived of others, or they are just
>not interested? The answer depends on whom you listen to, JEDIDIAH would say
>that Microsoft is at fault. I disagree with him.
>If there is a better product then it'll push Windows aside. The better

        This is a bit naive.

        There have been better products before. A PRIME example of this
        would be DOS vs. System 6. DOS continued to dominate because it
        was surrounded by a perception that it 'supported everything'
        and people like you chose to perpetuation the notion that regardless
        of who you are NOTHING else will be sufficient in terms of 3rd
        part support or some other FUD was hurled at it's general direction.

        Corlone style OEM contracts certainly didn't help the matter and
        intefered with those of us who have known well enough to want
        something better than the 'MS default'.

>doesn't mean quality, it means better for the user when all aspects are
>accounted for. Be that price, ease of use, available applications, etc... A

        This presumes that for all users that no other OS besides MS-Foo
        would have ever been suitable. This is just the sort of LIE that
        I just accused your kind of perpetuating.

        One simply does not need the entire contents of a CompUSA or
        MicroCenter. Once one realizes this, the 'need' for WinDOS
        or even PC's wane considerably.

>simple statement of XY OS is better than FX will not make XY the market
>leader. Marketing has a lot do with it also, but just because one company
>can market and the other can't it shouldn't be viewed as unfair advantage.
>I've tried numerous other OSs, Apple, Solaris, Linux, etc... My choice has
>been NT for awhile, but like to try new ones.

                                                                       / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory L. Hansen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.conspiracy.area51
Subject: Re: Backdoors in Windows 2000?
Date: 28 Apr 2000 01:03:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jim Carigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I do develop Linux code. EVERY Linux user should. Those who don't produce
>code are abusers and should not run the OSS softwares. Don't dispute people

What an odd opinion.  Especially since Linux fans usually want their
favorite OS to become popular enough to challenge Windows.

The GNU license specifically doesn't mention anything about non-developers
being abusers.
--
"In any case, don't stress too much--cortisol inhibits muscular
hypertrophy. " -- Eric Dodd

------------------------------

From: Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 01:10:26 GMT

Otto wrote:

> The format which caused the problem was from Office 2000 and it was heavily
> formated with columns and images. Even Office 97 didn't display it properly.

Ok, you have to admit that even that's sad.. I mean the constant office upgrade
races is due to just this, the classic, "I can't read your new files so I guess
I need to upgrade too."  Rather then thinking about it and realizing that you're
probably not getting any benefit out of the new format.

--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
ftp://127.0.0.1 ..... That site sucks. I've already got all of that stuff!

------------------------------

From: Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 01:21:39 GMT

Otto wrote:

> Arguably, but you have a point. The question is why they didn't touch a
> different OS? Is it because they were deprived of others, or they are just
> not interested? The answer depends on whom you listen to, JEDIDIAH would say
> that Microsoft is at fault. I disagree with him.

I don't think they were necessarily "at fault" for the lack of options when it
comes to pricing.  The market is such that people really only saw two choices: A
PC or a Mac.  A PC has historically only been available with one company's OS
installed: MS.

The fact that MS used bully tactics to make sure OEMs only sold windows so that
it was either all you could get, or what you had to pay for then also pay for
the OS you really wanted is clearly "their fault," but we are seeing a change in
this due to Linux pre-installs today.  Though that percentage is very small.

DR-DOS was a product that, at the time, was technically better, and it was
priced about the same IIRC.  However MS kept any OEMs from selling it, and even
had that inital code in win3.? that would make it complain/not run under DR-DOS
(which they had to change).  That's definately "their fault."

OS/2 was partially their fault, but also a good chunk of blame rests on IBM's
shoulders for their crappy marketing.

> leader. Marketing has a lot do with it also, but just because one company
> can market and the other can't it shouldn't be viewed as unfair advantage.

Marketing has a shitload to do with it.  I can't believe how many people I've
talked to that claim things about windows (or any other massively marketed
thing) that they can't back up with any facts.  I can usually shoot a lot of
what they claim down, and it's clear what they know is only what they've read in
MS brochures and stuff.  Also, MS has virtually Billions it can dump into
marketing if it wants, which _does_ give it quite an advantage... but it won't
replace quality and service forever.

--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
Clark [talking to Cousin Eddie] "Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: "Technical" vs. "Non-technical"... (was Re: Grasping perspective...)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 01:05:00 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when s_Ea_DAag0n would say:
>On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 02:30:38 +0000, Colin R. Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>sea_Dragon wrote:
>>> I have been compiling and installing new Linux kernels for 6.5 years and
>>> know what I am doing. I gave the correct root drive. I added the new
>>> kernel to MILO, and kept the old one, and neither would boot with the
>>
>>Isn't that LILO? Could explain the problem.
>>
>><snip>
>
>Oh dear. You must be ---***___EXTREMELEY___***-- new to Linux.
>
>IMHO, anyone posting on comp.os.linux.advocacy who doesn't what MILO is
>needs to be beaten with a cluestick. Badly.

Why _ever_ would you think that?

After all, *.advocacy is largely frequented by trolls of various
"religious persuasions," that do not care about the truth, and who
make up factoids at will.

Such in-duh-viduals have no need to know what MILO, or SILO, or GRUB
are (or Gag, or OpenBoot, or Poof, or ...).  They don't need to know
about history, because they make it up as they go along.

As "S" proves nicely, under his various aliases, there's not even a
need to be able to compose coherent words or sentences.  All you need
to be able to do to post "usefully" on *.advocacy is the ability to
swear _in_coherently.
--
When you open a bag of cotton balls, is the top one meant to be thrown
away?

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What else is hidden in MS code???
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 20:35:49 -0500

R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8e9iqs$vo8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > This is a bit funny considering that there is a 3D video
> > > game in Excel from Office 95.  If you crack the easter egg,
> > > you get a display showing names and pictures of the developers.
> > > Of course this means you must have the Microsoft 3D package
> > > to load excel.
> >
> > As usual Rex, you're stating facts that are wrong.
>
> The one fact is that there is a 3d "Easter Egg" in Microsoft Excel
> for Office 95.  This "credits" code is an integral part of Excel.
> Look up "easter egg" in dejanews.

I know about the easter egg.  My argument with you is that you are stating
that you must install a Microsoft 3D package in order to run Excel, which is
wrong.  Just a typical example of how you slip fantasy in with facts.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 20:39:57 -0500

R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8e9jg9$p0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8e8cbr$21m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8e89f6$jhk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > The issue here is probability.  We know that Microsoft is fussy
> > > about piracy.  We know that Microsoft reserves the right to legally
> > > check the license status via the internet.  You wave your right
> > > to such privacy in the EULA.
> >
> > All companies are fussy about piracy.
>
> It's just that Microsoft goes to some pretty unusual lengths.
> When you install Windows 9x, it asks you if you want free upgrade
> information - Microsoft can check the registrations and software
> serial numbers along with version numbers and tell you when you need
> to apply a patch.  Even if you say NO, that you don't want upgrades,
> Microsoft can still read your hard drive.  This "piracy checking"
> software has the capability to read any file and the registry.

There is a difference between "can" and "does".  Of course Microsoft can do
any of the things you mention.  Red Hat could too.  So could Be or any OS
manufacturer.  Whether they do or not is the issue.

> When Windows 95 first came out, engineers put sniffers on the
> net to figure out why desktops were sending traffic between 1:00 A.M.
> and 4:00 A.M. local time.  Furthermore, this traffic was going
> via UDP (thus bypassing firewalls).

More fantasy Rex.  You are propogating the Registry Wizard myth and mutating
it even more.  Microsoft was not sending unknown traffic out of PC's to
Microsoft.  There is no proof whatsoever to back up your statements.

> But Bill went on to elaborate.  Furthermore, Microsoft has
> reserved the right to any information contained on a Windows
> enabled PC.  On the flip side, Microsoft insists on nondisclosure
> agreements whenever it discovers a pirate.

And your information on this is what?

> Microsoft has gained substantial equity interests in companies
> without giving anything of significant value (stock swaps, cash)
> using insider information that any broker would kill to get.

And your proof is where?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: X Windows must DIE!!!
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 01:04:52 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when bytes256 would say:
>Am I the only one here who thinks that X Windows is crap?
>X Windows is extremely archaic, ridiculously bloated,
>way too slow, and extremely hard to install.
>
>Let's get rid of it completely.

Feel free.

What were you planning to run distributed graphical applications on
top of, as a replacement for X?
--
"Purely applicative languages are poorly applicable." -- Alan Perlis

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.corel
Subject: Re: Disabled lady needs Linux Corel
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 01:04:49 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Jerry McBride would say:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>"ROSAPHILIA -->> cuz NYC Could BE BETTER!!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>i am disabled and poor on a fixed income.
>>if you have a spare, unopened copy of the full linux corel with word
>>processor and browser in it on diskette, not cd, could you please snail
>>me it?
>
>I don't think a full linux distribution was ever offered on
>floppy... It'd make for quite a heavy box...

"ever" is a long time.  Evidently you have never installed SLS.  It
has been in the Linux Meta-FAQ since about 1993.

>>i am sick of windowz and it killed my pc-266 and i cannot even
>>recognize my cd reader anymore either.
>
>Sinc you have a cdrom... You'd be FAR better off getting linux on cd.

... Assuming the cdrom is not outright _broken_.

It is reasonably likely that the CD reader is not "recognized" due to
the CD driver on Windows being "broken."  That particular problem
would likely be solved by using just about any Linux distribution;
they usually includes the whole host of supported CD-ROM drivers
_close to the kernel_, which would be helpful to alleviate the
problem.

>>or if you know of a  linux that is easier to install and has more useful
>>things for the web-surfer/web-page-maker/email-reader i would appreciate
>>it.
>>

>In my humble opinion, Corel was a... dog. It was a nightmare to
>install on an old Toshiba laptop I tote to work. Caldera Open Linux,
>on the other hand, has been a dream distribution. I've used it since
>version 1.30. Your OS and www needs can easily be met by eDesktop
>2.40 and NetScape 4.72.

I found Corel Linux to be the only one that nicely supported my
somewhat-newer Toshiba laptop, so milage can obviously vary.

The critical point is that _all_ the distributions "pluck" from the
same "rivers of source code" and so the only _persistent_ differences
between them are with the installation utilities, which seem to get
substantially upgraded every six months or so, and which the new user
hopefully only uses once.

>>help me. please?
>>

>Send me an email with your mailing address, I'll send you a copy of
>Caldera's newest release; eDesktop 2.40. I'll even generate and
>include the two install floppies. No charge. However, it's on you to
>read the documentation it contains and learn from it. Most of us
>have...

Thanks; if there's need, I have a spare WordPerfect CD ("free
edition") kicking around that I could envelope and send off too.

>>will computers become cheaper after the doj's decision?
>
>I wouldn't expect that. More likely the current crop of hardware
>vendors, if released from the "per-processor-license" crap, will keep
>whatever profits they save rather than pass it on to the
>consumer. However... as time goes on things could come down a few
>bucks (maybe $50.00 or so on average) on complete systems.

The effect of _cheap, consumer-friendly Linux distributions_ is to
provide an inexpensively-licensed set of software that can be deployed
on the "real cheap PCs."  This, combined with the DOJ Effect, may
provide a way of deploying $300 PCs.

There wasn't much point to this, in the past; with the $100-or-so
worth of Microsoft Tax, there was not _too_ much point to chopping
prices down, because the vendors would _know_ that MSFT was making $70
on a $100 sale, whilst they were thereby stuck with making $30 on a
$400 sale.

The economics of that will certainly "slide" preferences a bit
differently...

>>will there be more choice?
>>

>For what, operating systems? Probably, after all, this is what the
>DOJ "thing" is all about. Freedom of choice.

Arguable.

It's not so much DOJ trying to provide freedom as it is the DOJ trying
to remedy one particular _denial_ of freedom.

If the remedies are TRULY DRAMATIC, and "vultures" of the DOJ wind up
busy feeding on the "corpse" of MSFT, that leaves all the other "bad
guys," like IBM, Oracle, Lotus, Apple, Intel, Novell, and such, free
to work to impose _their_ wills instead of Microsoft.

I'm no Ralph Nader fan, but he has a good comment on this...
  "Even in the area of anticompetitive conduct, Microsoft is mainly an
   imitator." -- Ralph Nader (1998/11/11)

Consider that:

- RMS has been rather more critical of Apple than of Microsoft.
  "There's no longer a boycott of Apple.  But MacOS is still a
  proprietary OS." -- RMS - June 13, 1998

  There never _was_ an FSF "boycott" of Microsoft the way there was of
  Apple.

- In the "bad old days," people were as outraged about Lotus's "look
  and feel" lawsuit against Paperback Software as others have been
  about Microsoft.

- Oracle, Intel, Novell, and IBM are noted "potent competitors" that
  have used many of the same sorts of pressure-sales-tactics as MSFT
  has used to encourage exclusive use of their products.
--
[Concerning  MSFT innovating  their way  out  of a  wet paper  bag...]
"Maybe if it were a very very  wet paper bag, but then they'd face the

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: Unix is dead?
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 01:04:50 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Mike would say:
>"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote on Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:56:58 GMT
>> <ewuM4.169129$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> >"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>> >message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> >Well, maybe not in Unix, but I used a system in 1984 that had it...
>>
>> Hm....OK, which system?  :-)
>>
>> I'll admit, this is interesting (and will teach me to spout off
>> generalities like that :-) ).
>
>Sorry the response has taken so long... The system was RTE-A, as I recall -
>it's been a LONG time (but, come to think of it, I remember the sixties, so
>maybe it wasn't that long). Running on an HP-1000, I think. What I do
>remember is that I could hit a key to complete what I was typing. I don't
>remember whether it completed commands, or files, or both. As I recall, it
>was a pretty nice system, for the time.

The usual systems associated with the development of this kind of
functionality were TENEX, TOPS-10, and TOPS-20.

Note that the "tcsh" shell embeds memory of this in its
name... Exerpting from the tcsh manual page:
   <http://www.primate.wisc.edu/software/csh-tcsh-book/>

THE T IN TCSH
       In  1964,  DEC  produced the PDP-6. The PDP-10 was a later
       re-implementation. It was re-christened  the  DECsystem-10
       in  1970  or so when DEC brought out the second model, the
       KI10.

       TENEX was created at Bolt, Beranek & Newman (a  Cambridge,
       Mass. think tank) in 1972 as an experiment in demand-paged
       virtual memory operating systems. They built a  new  pager
       for  the  DEC  PDP-10 and created the OS to go with it. It
       was extremely successful in academia.

       In 1975, DEC brought out a new model of  the  PDP-10,  the
       KL10; they intended to have only a version of TENEX, which
       they had licensed from BBN, for the new box.  They  called
       their  version  TOPS-20  (their  capitalization  is trade-
       marked).  A lot of TOPS-10 users  (`The  OPerating  System
       for  PDP-10') objected; thus DEC found themselves support-
       ing two incompatible systems  on  the  same  hardware--but
       then there were 6 on the PDP-11!

       TENEX,  and  TOPS-20  to version 3, had command completion
       via a user-code-level subroutine  library  called  ULTCMD.
       With  version  3,  DEC  moved all that capability and more
       into the monitor (`kernel' for you Unix  types),  accessed
       by  the  COMND%  JSYS  (`Jump  to SYStem' instruction, the
       supervisor call mechanism [are my  IBM  roots  also  show-
       ing?]).

       The creator of tcsh was impressed by this feature and sev-
       eral others of TENEX and TOPS-20, and created a version of
       csh which mimicked them.
--
Did you  hear about the dyslexic  agnostic insomniac who  stays up all
night wondering if there really is a Dog?

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.conspiracy.area51
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:37:20 -0400

"Jim Carigan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spouted in putridity:
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Connors) writes:
> >
> > > Hypothetically speaking, when was the last time you or anyone you
> > > personally know looked at the Linux Source?
> >
> > I did last week.
> >
> > I wanted to figure out why I couldn't have more than 8 SCSI CD-ROM
> > drives attached to the system.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > --
> > The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
> > Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP block
> I do develop Linux code. EVERY Linux user should.

i can't believe how funny that is... but...

>Those who don't produce
> code are abusers and should not run the OSS softwares.

you are killing me... go on...

>Don't dispute people
> because they believe in something. Perhaps they're wrong, perhaps you are.
um, ok.

> I've personally found six openings in Microsoft networking, specifically
> with netbios and TCP/IP.

document any one of these, please. Proof?

>There are SYN flood attacks that can slam ANY MS
> machine.

Document any of these... against a W2K server?

>You can also bombard a machine with multiple bastard SYNACK packs
> and watch for traffic to clean out.

And another os isn't immune to simple flooding?

>Try running a port scan froim an
> OS2/Linux box on ANY Microsoft machine. You will find open ports that
should
> not be there.

Oh really? Such as?

> Then try the same thing with other operating systems on other
> machines. Flood all ports and use all possible SYNs. Eventually you will
> learn something new about the network.

yes, that it has holes and can be crashed or DoS'ed, unlike the W2K box.

You've proven nothing and documented even less.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS caught breaking web sites
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:41:12 -0400

"Brian Langenberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8e4uka$cc6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> :>"Cary O'Brien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> :>> Linux is *GREAT* for families with small children.  My 6 and 9 year
> :>> olds have no trouble at all typing their name and password into the
> :>> xdm login box.
> :    ^^^
> :>i feel sorry for these kids... no games, forced to type arcane commands
in
> :>mixed case and rewarded by having a non-crashing machine that faithfully
> :>returns a constant stream of error messages. I'm sure they suddenly lite
up
> :>when they hit startx and suddenly discover they can actually use the
> :>computer productively and easily.
>
> : Drestin, weren't you recently trying to convince people you had actually
> : installed and used Linux?
>
> : I mean, the "into the xdm login box" might have gone over your head,
> : but the subsequent
>
> I'm not sure which is more offensive: that the childrens' intelligence
> has been insulted for the sake of bashing an operating system or
> the implication that allowing children access to anything not
> user friendly is some form of bad parenting.
>
> Heaven forbid that kids should be exposed to anything new and
> different...

WHAT is new and different about Linux? It's old and copied! AND it's not
what they'll be using in the real world or in their future. it's not what is
running in their schools and not what is running in businesses. Teaching
them how to use a poor GUI is no substitute for exposing them to the
predominant OS and GUI that they'll very most likely need to use in their
own lives. Why not teach your son how to be the very best mechanic of 50s
style engines, lotsa good that'll do him getting a job working on year '00
engines?