From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FW: Ethics of Circumventing OS
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 13:27:48 -0700

Karel Jansens wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:
> >
> > Karel Jansens wrote:

> > > Did they learn that trick from the Kalahari Bushmen?
> > >
> > > And if so - how?
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > I really don't know, but the San Blas indians seemed to know the trick.
> >

> It's quite interesting they both would use the same technique, even if
> they live on different sides from the Atlantic.
>
> Probably tin-foil hats-wearing survivors of Atlantis taught them,
> inbetween visits from Erich von Daeniken in his flying saucer <very big

It took me almost 6 months to gain their trust while I was down there.
One old man of the village told me handed down oral stories.  The one
that I remembered most was a long time ago the seas became the mountains
and the mountains became the seas.  They were very interesting people.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT multitasking: some humiliating defeats! :)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 19:30:27 GMT

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 2 Apr 2001 14:13:39
>"Barry Manilow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> I have a friend who likes to run a DOS app called, I think, PKUnzip.
>> He likes to spawn off multiple sessions of this DOS app, to, I
>> believe, zip and unzip archives.  On NT, he can spin off no more than
>> *3* instances of this application before the app locks up and has to
>> be shut down.  On OS/2, he can spin off as many as *60* different
>> instances of this app, and OS/2 handles it with aplomb.
>
>PKUnzip is an *old* utility, which is almost totally replaced by windows
>comression programs, but what the hell, let's do it, okay?
>ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/arcers/pk250dos.exe
>Remember that 221MB that I've compressed in my last post?
>Let's see what how many times I can uncompress it, okay?
>start pkunzip -e zip.zip \zip1
>start pkunzip -e zip.zip \zip2
>start pkunzip -e zip.zip \zip3
>start pkunzip -e zip.zip \zip4
>start pkunzip -e zip.zip \zip5
>start pkunzip -e zip.zip \zip6
>start pkunzip -e zip.zip \zip7
>start pkunzip -e zip.zip \zip8
>start pkunzip -e zip.zip \zip9
>start pkunzip -e zip.zip \zip10
>
>I put those lines in a bat file, and run it, let's see what happens, okay?
>It starts compressing, I've 10 instances of it opened. How fasinating, it
>doesn't crash.
>Now I'll wait for all ten instances to finish running. And check the
>results.
>
>Here is the program's output:
>PKUNZIP (R)    FAST!    Extract Utility    Version 2.50   03-01-1999
>Copr. 1989-1999 PKWARE Inc.  All Rights Reserved.  Shareware Version
>PKUNZIP Reg. U.S. Pat. and Tm. Off.
>
>? Pentium II class CPU detected.
>? XMS version 2.00 detected.
>? DPMI version 0.90 detected.
>
><list of files>
>
>As a note, the computer keeps on being usable ( although slow) while there
>are 10 *very* CPU intensive tasks running.
>None of them, BTW, has crashed so far.
>
>Now they are done, and, what do you know, none of them crashes at *all*.
>And what do you know, they all did their task flawlessly.

Perhaps you have a somewhat ambiguous definition of "usable although
slow".  I know my PIII 450 Mhz 256 Meg RAM system with NT would have
been unusable, had I been silly enough to have more than one such task
running.

>Quod Erat Demon

Category error.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Windows "speed"
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 13:31:16 -0700

Barry Manilow wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:
> > >
> > > Don't let your ignorance or the ignorance of other convince you that Windows
> > > (the NT kernel) is unreliable.
> > >>
> > We weren't talking about server issues here.  We are talking about Home
> > use stand alone systems.  Go to any small town office store or whatever
> > and all you'll see for sale are Win98 or WinMe based systems.  By
> > reviewing public complaints on microsoft.Win98.performance ng I find all
> > too often people complaining about how their brand new 1Ghz PIII starts
> > getting slower .. and ....... slower and.............. slower each day.
>
> How slow does it get?  So slow as to be depressing and disconcerting?
> It's the damn Registry, man.  You can put Visual Basic on a 233 with
> NT and watch it slow down to where it feels like a 386-20.
>
> > The MSCEs reccomend defragging, scanreg /fix, and scanreg /opt to bring
> > it back up to snuff once a week.  Others suggest a monthly re-install of
> > the O/S.
>
> Ee gads.  That is awful!  The reinstall is the only thing that works I
> bet.
>
>   I find this a very bad solution to an O/S that should have
> > been fixed a long time ago.
>
> That is where a monopoly gets you.
> >
> > Dave Cutler designed the first versions of NT using multiple ring levels
> > of the i386.
> > Later MS decided to move most processes to ring 0 along with the kernel
> > and video.
> > MS did this to increase speed,
>
> Well, it gives the illusion of speed but at the price of crippling all
> background apps.  And supposedly it made it prettier somehow.  This
> was one of the issues that led to the fallout with IBM.  IBM insisted
> on keeping that stuff out of the kernel.  Especially the GDI and GUI.
>
>   VMS uses 6 levels of isolation.  This one is
> > very stable.
>
> These 6 layers make it stable or secure?  Or both?

Both.  It keeps processes of varying importance from killing the kernel
and lower importance processes from killing processes that support the
system.  Usaully an errant process will just get "access violation
error".

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 19:34:48 GMT

Said Jeffrey Siegal in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 01 Apr 2001
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>> but using this trick he has convinced himself
>> that time travel has a bearing on copyright law.
>
>Never mind.  Sorry for barging in.

No, please, barge in more often.  I didn't mean to offend you, I was
just explaining the confusion.  Believe me, this is not an exclusive
conversation; if it were only me and Les, neither of us would bother,
for sure.

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New virus attacks Linux and MS OS
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 17:41:13 +0200

http://linux.ittoolbox.com/browse.asp?c=LINUXNews&r=%2Fnews%2Fdispnews%2Easp%3Fi%3D36841

> Has anybody else heard anything about it?

Yep, itīs more of an design study.
In addition, it wonīt be able to do much of harm to a properly
administered linux system

Peter

--
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 13:58:43 -0700

Karel Jansens wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote:
> >

> > PocketPC, OTOH, seems to have Internet pervasive just like Windows
> > where every app uses a common Internet access method and many apps
> > are integrated with Internet Explorer.
> >
> This is so funny. "Internet pervasive just like Windows", the operating
> system that had to have a TCP/IP stack bolted onto it, because Bill
> Gates thought the Internet was a hype and everybody was going MSN
> anyway?
>
> > > What about battery life?  If you don't think that is important, I would
> > > have to say you probably haven't tried to actually use a PDA in real life.
> >
> > Well, if all I need is very, very basic PDA functionality (calendar, todo,
> > and contacts) I'll use my phone which has about the same functionality as
> > a Palm device and it has a built in cell phone!
> >
> > When I want a true hand-held computer with almost full desktop functionality
> > in my hand, I'll choose PocketPC. I don't need to pay way to much for a
> > black and white over-priced Rolodex.
> >
> I recently acquired a Palm IIIc, in the course of which I compared
> several of the Wince offerings to Palm and Visor. The Wince PDA's
> typically have a quarter of the battery life, half the screen quality
> and just about three quarters of the software usability of the
> Palm/Visor platform. It was a pretty easy decision to go for a "black
> and white over-priced Rolodex".
>
> As for Net-on-the-go, once I find a use for it, I might decide to "bolt
> it on". But frankly, given the connection fees and the current transfer
> rates, mobile Internet is a toy for spoiled teens.
>
> --

Yes, it is too expensive to use and currently find no use for these
internet wireless devices.  The cell-phone prices are not attractive.
I just use a 50 cent notepad and pen.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 16:07:47 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Aaron> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>    >>
>    >> >>>>> Aaron R Kulkis writes:
>    >>
>    Aaron> Mathew wrote:
>    >> >>
>    >> >> For a person who constantly calls people"little dictators"
>    >> >> and "fascists" , Aaron certainky takes the cake for personifying
>    >> >> his own words.
>    >> >>
>    >> >> A product of fascist military indoctrination ,no doubt.
>    >>
>    Aaron> So, protecting your constitutional rights is fascist now.
>    >>
>    >> You have repeatedly threatened to kill people for their political
>    >> beliefs.  That is not protecting their Constitutional Rights.
>    >>

>    Aaron> No, I have not.
>
> Yes you have.  You have said that people should be killed for
> merely being democrats.

No.  They should be punished for committing treason.

The most egregious, such as Clinton, should be executed.

"Give 'em a fair trial and a proper hanging"
 -- some cowboy movie

>    Aaron> I have said that eventually, those of us who are sworn to uphold
>    Aaron> the Constitution, against all enemies, foreign AND DOMESTIC will
>    Aaron> be told to go out, and do just that.
>
> You have said that too.  It is also disgusting.  Murdering people
> for what they think is not something compatible with freedom.

After a proper trial and other due process, execution for those who
commit treason is NOT murder.

Hope that helps, MORON.

>    Aaron> If you don't like the consequences of that, I suggest you cease
>    Aaron> any and all activities which currently classify you
>
> I, unlike you, have never advocating killing people for what they
> think.
>
>    >> You are a totalitarian wannabe.
>
>    Aaron> Killing those who seek to enslave their fellow man is ANTI-TOTALITARIAN,
>    Aaron> you donkey-raping piece of shit.
>
> You are totalitarian scum.  Act on your beliefs and face the consequences.

I'm not the one advocating enslavement of people...that's YOU.

And remember....the more you get your police state dream implemented,
the more power SOLDIERS like me will have over YOUR miserable ass.

> Merely talk about it and reap the scorn all totalitarian wannabes deserve.

Personally, I don't want to be a dictator over anybody.

But if ***YOU*** insist on turning my country into a police state,
than I can damn well guarantee you that I will use that power you
want to give me to make your life absolutely miserable.

Hope that helps.

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism confession
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 16:08:33 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Aaron> You know...name some Communist-style government policies that
>    Aaron> you disagree with.
>
> Forgery alert, the original statement by the liar Mr. Kulkis was
> "that you agree with".  He, unwilling to admit his error, chose
> to lie.
>
> His original statement was in message id <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>    >> >> Can't think of any in the real world.
>
>    Aaron> then you're a Communist.
>
>    >> Because I do not agree with any of their policies?
>
>    Aaron> You just said that you can't think of any that you do disagree with.
>
> You are a cowardly lying sack of shit.
>
>    >>
>    >> Please explain your "logic"?
>    >>
>    Aaron> Thank you for admitting that you are an enemy of the US Constitution.
>    >>
>    >> No, that would be you, for your communist like calls for the deaths
>    >> of those that disagree with you.
>    Aaron>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>    Aaron> You misspelled "have contempt for the Constitution"
>
> No, you are lying, again.
>
>    Aaron> This fact will be recorded for posterity.
>
>    >> What you imagine to be facts and reality seldom concur.
>
>    Aaron> Heheheheheheh
>
> Shut up forger.

Pot Snow Black.

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.