From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: The Dream World of Linux Zealots
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 03:13:19 GMT

On Tue, 02 May 2000 03:02:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
wrote:

>On Tue, 02 May 2000 02:32:47 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>First off, Linux is a great operating system and given the proper
>>venue it is a good choice.
>>
>>However, to believe for a moment that Linux could replace, or even
>>co-exist with Windows in the home environment is a pipe dream fantasy
>>of the Linux zealots.
>>
>>As an example I offer up the home networking problem. The reality, and
>>it is a good one, is that home networking is becoming a big reality.
>>Families with children are competing with each other for internet
>>time, printers, scanners and so forth. Most new home construction
>>includes pre-wired Cat 5 cable as an option.
>>
>>Anyway how is a home network with internet connection sharing, printer
>>sharing, scanner sharing and firewall set up easily under Linux?
>>
>>Answer; it isn't.
>>
>>Oh sure you can play with Samba if you happen to not have a
>>Win-printer and assuming you are able to figure out how to set it up
>>it might work ok. You can play with ip masquerading and ip-chains and
>
>       Samba comes out of the box sharing the local printers, so this
>       is PURE FUD. If a printer is supported in some fashion by the
>       server machine, a shiny happy gui applet will help you set it up.

Right...As long as you get the password option correct (encrypted?)
and you can figure out what workgroups and users should be allowed to
use it. And figure out where to input all of this crap, even using
swat, and Maybe, just maybe it might work.

SUPPORTING printer sharing, and making it actually WORK are two
different animals.

>>so forth, entering all kinds of crap in text files and so forth.
>
>       ...and this is fundementally different from wading through
>       dialog boxes and entering text then, just how? Besides,
>       samba comes with a shiny happy tool for the server side
>       configuration. So, the claim that one must dibble with text
>       files in order to configure samba is more PURE FUD. Others
>       gui configurators for samba abound as well.

How is it different?

YOU must be kidding...How about CHECKING ONE BOX...ONE FSKING BOX..
The only place wading applies is under Linux...

>>That is of course assuming you know what to enter. How many times in
>>the Linux help system do you see "ask your system administrator"
>>mentioned?
>
>       That's the problem with home networking in general. The mother-
>       in-law that can't work with a fully preconfigured Windows scanning
>       solution will be equally as lost in either OS.

Wrong..Put the CD in the drive and it works...Netgear, Linksys,
HomeNetwork, Brown Box and so forth..They just simply work.

Try it sometime, you'll be amazed.
>>So who is the sys admin of a home network??
>>
>>Know how you do all of the above with Windows 98se or Win2k?
>>Select internet connection sharing in help and the wizard does it all
>>for you.
>
>       ...assuming you know what to look for. If you know that, then you
>       are likely saavy enough to deal with smb.conf. Of course you
>       wouldn't necessarily have to.

How about help? It's in the main menue....

>>Download ZoneAlarm for free and it works without a single amount of
>>input required by the user to configure it.
>>
>>It simply asks you if you want a particular task to be allowed to take
>>place (Realplayer accessing the internet as an example).
>
>       ...assuming that the developer covered everything...

Whats so hard to cover? A service tries to access a port and the
program let's you know.

BTW it is a real eye opener when you run it the first time. Most users
will be horrified what ports are wide open and how many times they are
being probed.

Linux?

If you can figure it out maybe, but don't count on it.

ZoneAlarm is a great piece of software. It works, it is simple to use
and it is free.
Linux has NOTHING to compare. Nothing...

>       Otherwise, you're back to square 0.
>

>>Resource sharing?
>>
>>Place a check in the sharing box...That's it..Wizard does it for you
>>when you select "How do I share my printer"
>>
>>That's the way it should be.
>>
>>I spent 3 weeks trying to get a network working under Linux and
>>finally gave up. And another thing, the default set up is a real
>
>       I spent about 15 minutes my first time. Then again, I can
>       follow directions. Although, the net configurator in
>       Slackware did most of the work.

Sure we believe you..

Now why don't you wander over to the setup/network/hardware groups and
help them all do the same. While your at it tell all those nice folks
running websites dedicated to explaining how to do all this that it is
so simple they are not necessary..

I'm talking about all the above, not the basic ability to ping another
ip address.

>>security risk even selecting Medium security under Mandrake. FTP,
>>Telnet and other ports were wide open.
>>
>>Sorry Linux Zealots but you should read more of the the Linux
>>install/set up groups to see how many folks have had it up to their
>>ears with Linux and more will follow.
>>
>>Take off the rose colored glasses and look into the world of reality
>>for a change. Linux is certainly improving, but it isn't even close to
>>Windows.
>>
>>Windows is a much, much better choice.
>
>       ...only if you want Ignoramuses in control of firewalls...
The only ignoramuses are the "elite" idiots that believe their Linux
software is better, easier to set up and more user friendly than the
alternatives.

You have proved nothing, as usual.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 03:21:58 GMT

> First off, Linux is a great operating system and given the proper
> venue it is a good choice.
>
> However, to believe for a moment that Linux could replace, or even
> co-exist with Windows in the home environment is a pipe dream fantasy
> of the Linux zealots.

Buzz, wrong answer. Windows has been replaced at my home. You, Like most
WinTrolls(tm) seem to think that one size fits all. Well MS products DO
NOT FIT MY NEEDS. Linux does. Please do NOT tell me what will work best
on *MY* home computer.

From: Smitty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 23:43:29 -0400

Mike Esler wrote:

> Please don't feed the trolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Johnathan Talley wrote:
>
> > This guy is lost and programmed by hype.  He's a pitiful example of a
> > misguided human being.  But I don't take kindly to people saying others
> > should be physically harmed because they excerise their freedom of choice.
> > Dude sucks ass with a crazy-straw.
> >
> > Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > the downfall of the software industry. People who use such a dreaful program
> > should be shot. How dare they take money from hardworking companies like
> > microsoft and driving down my shares.

> > > Crossposted to the proper usenet-group. Let's see the
> > > reactions, shall we?
> > > (What an asshole!)
> > >
> > > --
> > > % make fire
> > > Don't know how to make fire
> > > % Why not?
> > > No match
>
> --
> Mike Esler
> Sverdrup Technology
> System Administrator

I agree.  Let's leave the pinheads alone.
Do they use Linux at NRL?
Smitty

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 03:48:13 GMT

Not trying to assume anything, but if YOU go to any computer club,
strike up a chat at Compusa, strike up at chat at any trade show,
Computer show, ham fest etc, it will be YOU that is in the minority
and YOU that will spend countless time explaining Linux and what it is
about.

It will be YOUR kids that will have to go in circles trying to find
software that conforms to their college standards. It will be YOUR
kids that will have to explain Linux to all of the other kids as well
as teachers in their school that will most likely be running Windows.

So if YOU wish to run Linux, that is great but understand that YOU are
in a small, very small in fact, minority that are excersising their
choice in operating systems. If YOU are willing to assume all of the
ablve, both plus and minus, that's great.

I prefer to ignore the os and get some work done that conforms to
accepted standards, meaning what everyone else is using.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.flame.macintosh
Subject: Re: which OS is best?
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 03:52:34 GMT

On Mon, 01 May 2000 00:43:39 -0500,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED], in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>>>But it * doesn't * print okay -- it asks for an association that it
>>>shouldn't.
>>
>>It means that I have to open the file in AAcrobat, and print from there,
>>annoying, and time consuming, especially if there are more than a couple
>>of files, but not worth risking screwing up the registry.
>
>Get real.  Stop the registry whining and just remove the old version
>of Acrobat and install the new one.  Geez.. you'd think it was as
>difficult as installing a kernel in Linux the way you whine about it.

2 points

1) It's not my machine, so I am not going to dink with it.
2) The machine suffured a (possibly hardware) meltdown and refuses to
        boot the win95 disk. We'll see if the replacement machine does
any better in the pdf department.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.flame.macintosh
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 03:58:13 GMT

On Mon, 01 May 2000 18:25:45 -0500,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED], in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>On 1 May 2000 10:23:04 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
>wrote:
>
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>Get real.  Stop the registry whining and just remove the old version
>>>of Acrobat and install the new one.  Geez.. you'd think it was as
>>>difficult as installing a kernel in Linux the way you whine about it.
>>
>>Difficult?  Are you typing the source in yourself?
>>Rpm -Uhv kernel*rpm works for me.  Or grab the source and 'make install'.
>>Your distribution may vary, but it is nowhere near the conceptual
>>problem of being forced to associate a data type with only one
>>application and worse, to do it according to the file name.
>
>You're kidding, right?  Installing a new Linux kernel is a nightmare -
>my 486/75 laptop is now next to useless until I figure out what went
>wrong.
>
>First, do a make mrproper to clean up any old stuff (and reclaim
>needed hard drive space).
>Then, do a make menuconfig and step through the options you want.
>
>Then, on the same line, seperated by ";"
>Then, do a make dep and ensure the dependencies are all there.
>Then, do a make bzImage to make a compressed boot image.
>Then, do a make modules to get the right modules.
>Then, do a make modules_install to install said modules.
>...and come back 8 hours or so later, when it all finishes.

This is the process to _compile_ a new Kernel,
        not to install a kernel rpm.

>Something's obviously wrong with that, though, because I now can't get
>any of my modules to work.  Since my PCMCIA controller is controlled
>with a module, that laptop's dead in the water unless someone
>(please!) can tell me what's wrong.  It's done this time and time and
>time again, and it's become very frustrating.  I've renamed the
>/var/modules dir to /var/mod2 and made a new, empty /var/modules
>directory, to no avail (but after that, it only gets 3 or 4 dirs in
>there when I do a make modules_install, although granted I've left out
>most options that I don't need - sound, MMX, extra IDE support, SCSI,
>etc., and my modules.dep is only 2k or so in size...)  The modules
>page in the kernel's menuconfig has 3 entries in it, and all are
>selected; it _should_ load the modules just fine, no?   I get all
>kinds of errors when the modules try to load up from depmod, devfs
>isn't found, and no entries for a PCMCIA controller are found in
>/proc/pcmcia, so eth0 doesn't come up.

pcmcia is a seperate package in the 2.2 and earlier kernels, If you are
going to recompile your kernel, you need to recompile the pcmcia-cs package
also for the new kernel. Or you could simple install the new kernel and
pcmcia-cs rpms. If you want to do it the hard way, that's up to you. But
don't claim that installing a kernel is tough, whilst describing
the steps to compile one instead.

>Lilo is being updated correctly; I am booting from new kernels (and
>the old kernel does the same thing now, immediately after I did a make
>modules_install, too).  Sigh.
>
>All this just to make the kernel a bit smaller - their compressed
>kernel is 680k or so, mine hit 380k or so; with a 10M laptop that
>might make a difference, although just getting Linux on this thing was
>a bear.  I also removed a bunch of tty terminals from runlevel 3, so
>dropping each of those should free up some RAM too...and dropped the
>atd and crond stuff.  Any other suggestions to lighten the RAM load
>are welcome.

Check out the linx router project (from memory, www.lrp.com a websearch would
turn up their site if that is wrong.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 03:58:49 GMT

> On Tue, 02 May 2000 03:02:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 02 May 2000 02:32:47 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >>First off, Linux is a great operating system and given the proper
> >>venue it is a good choice.
> >>
> >>However, to believe for a moment that Linux could replace, or even
> >>co-exist with Windows in the home environment is a pipe dream
fantasy
> >>of the Linux zealots.
> >>
> >>As an example I offer up the home networking problem. The reality,
and
> >>it is a good one, is that home networking is becoming a big reality.
> >>Families with children are competing with each other for internet
> >>time, printers, scanners and so forth. Most new home construction
> >>includes pre-wired Cat 5 cable as an option.
> >>
> >>Anyway how is a home network with internet connection sharing,
printer
> >>sharing, scanner sharing and firewall set up easily under Linux?
> >>
> >>Answer; it isn't.
> >>
> >>Oh sure you can play with Samba if you happen to not have a
> >>Win-printer and assuming you are able to figure out how to set it up
> >>it might work ok. You can play with ip masquerading and ip-chains
and

> >     Samba comes out of the box sharing the local printers, so this
> >     is PURE FUD. If a printer is supported in some fashion by the
> >     server machine, a shiny happy gui applet will help you set it up.
>
> Right...As long as you get the password option correct (encrypted?)
> and you can figure out what workgroups and users should be allowed to
> use it. And figure out where to input all of this crap, even using
> swat, and Maybe, just maybe it might work.
>
> SUPPORTING printer sharing, and making it actually WORK are two
> different animals.
>
> >>so forth, entering all kinds of crap in text files and so forth.
> >
> >     ...and this is fundementally different from wading through
> >     dialog boxes and entering text then, just how? Besides,
> >     samba comes with a shiny happy tool for the server side
> >     configuration. So, the claim that one must dibble with text
> >     files in order to configure samba is more PURE FUD. Others
> >     gui configurators for samba abound as well.
>
> How is it different?
>
> YOU must be kidding...How about CHECKING ONE BOX...ONE FSKING BOX..
> The only place wading applies is under Linux...

User error is NOT a problem with Linux. I don't have any problem with
Samba passwords or the printing. In fact, Samba has just taken the place
of the Win2000 file server at a customer I support because Samba+Unix
makes for a FAR more flexable server than Win2000.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 04:15:37 GMT

On Tue, 02 May 2000 03:58:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 May 2000 03:02:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>> wrote:

>fantasy

>and

>printer

>and
>> >
>> >    Samba comes out of the box sharing the local printers, so this
>> >    is PURE FUD. If a printer is supported in some fashion by the
>> >    server machine, a shiny happy gui applet will help you set it up.
>>
>> Right...As long as you get the password option correct (encrypted?)
>> and you can figure out what workgroups and users should be allowed to
>> use it. And figure out where to input all of this crap, even using
>> swat, and Maybe, just maybe it might work.
>>
>> SUPPORTING printer sharing, and making it actually WORK are two
>> different animals.

>> >    ...and this is fundementally different from wading through
>> >    dialog boxes and entering text then, just how? Besides,
>> >    samba comes with a shiny happy tool for the server side
>> >    configuration. So, the claim that one must dibble with text
>> >    files in order to configure samba is more PURE FUD. Others
>> >    gui configurators for samba abound as well.
>>
>> How is it different?
>>
>> YOU must be kidding...How about CHECKING ONE BOX...ONE FSKING BOX..
>> The only place wading applies is under Linux...
>

>User error is NOT a problem with Linux. I don't have any problem with
>Samba passwords or the printing. In fact, Samba has just taken the place
>of the Win2000 file server at a customer I support because Samba+Unix
>makes for a FAR more flexable server than Win2000.

I wasn't talking about a customer, I was referring to a home system.
Don't change the subject to try and show Linux in a positive light.

YOU know how to set all this shit up.
GrandMa Windows user doesn't.

How about answering the other points like ZoneAlarm, firewalls and so
forth under Linux..

I'll save you the time...Don't waste your time... Home users have so
much ease of use software available for Windows that Linux is not even
an option. Not even close. Only in your, hate Microsoft world.

I feel sorry for your family because they are missing out on an entire
world of easy to use powerful software...Alas,they will learn someday
and you will look foolish.