Linux-Advocacy Digest #519, Volume #26           Mon, 15 May 00 19:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: .TAZ format??  What the hell? (Mig Mig)
  Re: An honest attempt (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: An honest attempt (Mig Mig)
  Re: A Blast From Oracle's Past (Re: Is the PC era over?) (petilon)
  Re: progamming models, unix vs Windows (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Here is the solution (Milton)
  Re: You're doin it all wrong..(was you people are full of doo doo) (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: A Blast From Oracle's Past (Re: Is the PC era over?) (fungus)
  Re: Things Linux can't do! ("ax")
  Re: You're doin it all wrong..(was you people are full of doo doo) (abraxas)
  Re: Things Linux can't do! (Perry Pip)
  Re: HUMOR: CSMA has the Tholenbot... we should have the Templetonbot.  (was Re: The
"outlook" for MS) ("Edwin")
  Re: Things Linux can't do! (Perry Pip)
  Re: Things Linux can't do! (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Things Linux can't do! (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Things Linux can't do! (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Linux lacks ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: You're doin it all wrong..(was you people are full of doo doo) (abraxas)
  Re: Things Linux can't do! (Charlie Ebert)
  WHICH LINUX??? (Kurt)
  Re: Linux lacks (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: .TAZ format??  What the hell? (Gary Hallock)
  Re: Things Linux can't do! ("Evan DiBiase")
  Re: You're doin it all wrong..(was you people are full of doo doo) (John Jensen)

From: Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: .TAZ format??  What the hell?
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 23:26:12 +0200

JoeX1029 wrote:
> I just downloaded the Minix source code and unziped it and the two remaining
> files are CMD.TAZ and SYS.TAZ.  What the hell is TAZ??  On the site itsadi it
> is a comprersssed tar archieve.  How do I uncompres??  Thanks.

Isnt there a minix newsgroup somewhere? Could it not be possible that
people at that forum had had the same problem?

RTFM

Cheers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: An honest attempt
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 21:25:18 GMT

On Mon, 15 May 2000 20:36:43 GMT, Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>     There's a wide world of PC hardware out there, much of it of
>>     questionable pedigree. There's more than room there for quite
>>     a bit of hardware to be difficult to impossible with Win98.
>>     OTOH, it doesn't really have to be 'difficult' really, just
>>     difficult from the perspective of a relative novice.
>>
>>     In this respect, WinDOS still really isn't that much different
>>     than Linux when it comes to installation on a PC.
>
>I might have agreed with you with earlier Windows but its improved a lot.
>Linux is still playing catchup here.

        Howso exactly? PCI,SCSI or USB autodetection is much the same under
        any OS that supports any of these buses. In terms of immediate
        driver availablity, Linux and FreeBSD will nearly always be ahead
        because of the infrequent release schedules of commercial products.
        In terms of actual 3rd party support, Win2K will be subject to the
        problem of 'not being DOS' and NT and WinDOS will still both have
        driver quality issues.

        Just ask any NT advocate that likes to use bad hardware to excuse
        all of NT's percieved instabilities.

>>     Actually, unix configuration is much more centralized than
>>     you make it out to be. This is especially true these days
>>     with the various shiny happy gui tools.
>
>I must have missed these on Linux Mandrake. I tried one of these 'shiny
>happy gui' tools and it dropped me into a console prompt with a menu based
>configuration. Hardly 'happy shiny gui'.

        You obviously aren't very motivated to look.

>>     Yet, despite that, Linux continues to grow by leaps and bounds
>>     even undermining some of Microsoft's paying buisiness.
>
>I'd agree it's growing, I'm less sure about the leaps and bounds.

        Those that actually collect these statistics disagree with you.

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 23:31:24 +0200

Pete Goodwin wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >     There's a wide world of PC hardware out there, much of it of
> >     questionable pedigree. There's more than room there for quite
> >     a bit of hardware to be difficult to impossible with Win98.
> >     OTOH, it doesn't really have to be 'difficult' really, just
> >     difficult from the perspective of a relative novice.
> >
> >     In this respect, WinDOS still really isn't that much different
> >     than Linux when it comes to installation on a PC.
>
> I might have agreed with you with earlier Windows but its improved a lot.
> Linux is still playing catchup here.

Nope.. Windows is doing the catchup here.. You try  a bare install of any
Windows and lets see.

> >     Actually, unix configuration is much more centralized than
> >     you make it out to be. This is especially true these days
> >     with the various shiny happy gui tools.
>
> I must have missed these on Linux Mandrake. I tried one of these 'shiny
> happy gui' tools and it dropped me into a console prompt with a menu based
> configuration. Hardly 'happy shiny gui'.

Hmmm. Mandrake is the absolutely easyiest install i ever had.. maybe Corels
is even easyer.  What  prompt?

> >     Yet, despite that, Linux continues to grow by leaps and bounds
> >     even undermining some of Microsoft's paying buisiness.
>
> I'd agree it's growing, I'm less sure about the leaps and bounds.

Its growing very very fast.. users are just tired of MS and other unfreed
software platforms.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: A Blast From Oracle's Past (Re: Is the PC era over?)
From: petilon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 14:33:42 -0700

"Ermine Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Interesting idea -- for a beginner --

Hold on. There's the problem right there! What do you mean
by "beginner"? A person who doesn't know how to resolve DLL
conflicts, defragment his hard disk, install virus scanners,
repair corrupt hard disks, update device drivers etc is a
"beginner" to you, right?

That is the problem. Windows expects too much from users.
With the nic on the other hand, people can stay "beginners"
forever! No need to ever learn what a DLL is! That's the way
it should be because you don't have to learn what a transistor
is in order to use your TV, so why should you learn what a
DLL is in order to use a computer?

Today there aren't as many people using personal computers as
there are people using telephones and televisions because they
are intimidated by Windows. This needs to change. There is no
reason personal computers shouldn't be as simple as a telephone
or a television. Thanks to the Internet, and all kinds of
applications from airline reservations to tax preparation
software delivered through the web, simpler devices are
possible today. Complexity has been moved from the desktop to
the network, where it belongs. The result is devices such as
the nic which is as simple as a remote control, and yet as
powerful as the PC when it comes to web-based applications.

> this concept and even specific implementation have existed for
> decades.  In this specific case, booting from a CD has been
> around for quite awhile now - FWIW, you actually can boot
> Windows from a CD image - and then never have to worry about
> your system getting corrupted - if that's what you want.

No you can't. You can boot the installer. But Windows itself
isn't designed for booting from CD-ROMs. Microsoft will however
copy this idea if they want to make sure Windows stays relevant
5 years from now.

> The problems with this approach though are that it is STATIC -
> there is no way to add new devices or upgrades or to run your
> own software.

Web-based applications are more popular than Windows
applications. Who wants to install, for example, a Fedex client
application on your PC to check the status of your package when
you can just go to their web site? Even for programs I use on
a daily basis such as e-mail, calendar, to-do list, usenet
news reader etc I use web-based applications, not Windows
applications.

> You are totally dependent upon someone else for your data,
> someone else for your applications and someone else for your
> system configuration and upkeep.

Nonsense. I know tons of Windows users who are dependent on
someone else because they don't know how to resolve DLL
conflicts, install virus scanners, defragment their hard disk,
get their PC to work again after they accidentally dragged
and dropped critical files, find files they "lost" etc.
The very goal of the nic is so that users aren't totally
dependent on someone else anymore!

Find out more:
   http://www.thinknic.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: progamming models, unix vs Windows
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 21:36:57 GMT

On Mon, 15 May 2000 18:21:36 GMT, David Cueto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Unix has been driving hardware equivalent to today's PC's since
>> long before PC's got anywhere near as powerful as they are today.
>
>   Sure, and sure there were machines with hardware and software
>being made by the same vendor.

        IOW: you have no clue. You don't quite know what would be
        difference between a circa 1988 Unix workstation running X
        at ~ 1280x1024 connected to an ethernet LAN and a contemporary
        PC (beyond the dubious distinction of being a random collection
        of spare parts).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Milton)
Subject: Re: Here is the solution
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 21:37:55 GMT

On Mon, 15 May 2000 15:47:48 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy

Chris Wenham wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>> Just interested in knowing what you think an OS/2 user should be moving
>> on _to_ if it's not Windows.
>
> I advocate pencil, paper and slide rule for the crushing majority of
> computer users.

I heartily disagree!

Crayons or maybe, even *fingerpaints* would be the most suitable tool
for the typical average user.

 Milton B. Hewitt
 CAUCE Member - http://www.cauce.org
 Proud supporter of the Microsoft Boycott Campaign
 http://www.vcnet.com/bms/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: You're doin it all wrong..(was you people are full of doo doo)
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 21:43:46 GMT

On Mon, 15 May 2000 20:28:16 GMT, The Cat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The guy posts his experience's and you rabid Linvocates jump all over
>him. Very poorly done and it just fortifies the non Linux users

        ...because his 'experience' is flatly contradicted by the
        manner in which some of those components are shipped and
        the experience of just about anyone that's tried what he
        was describing.

>inherent opinion of Linux supporters as mightier than God almighty.
>
>I too run a digital audio studio based on Windows 98SE and rarely if
>ever do I have a problem. I can stream 40 somewhat tracks at 44.1k to
>hard disk applying real time effects (via FFT) without a hic-cup.
>
>Why do the Linux people have such a hard time believing this is an
>everyday occurrence in certain fields?

        Everday occurences in our own fields and even in simple
        desktop usage.

[deletia]

        As far as 'your field' goes, it is small enough to be the
        sort of niche that will neither save nor kill particular
        platform.

        Be found this out firsthand.

From: fungus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 21:59:24 GMT

petilon wrote:

> Today there aren't as many people using personal computers as
> there are people using telephones and televisions because they
> are intimidated by Windows. This needs to change.

Yep. There simply isn't any need to have something as
complex as Windows installed to be able to surf the web.

Look at the success of WebTV. This is definitely the way
to go for an awful lot of people (if we can manage to
disconnect WebTV, the hardware from WebTV, the company...)

> There is no
> reason personal computers shouldn't be as simple as a telephone
> or a television. Thanks to the Internet, and all kinds of
> applications from airline reservations to tax preparation
> software delivered through the web, simpler devices are
> possible today. Complexity has been moved from the desktop to
> the network, where it belongs. The result is devices such as
> the nic which is as simple as a remote control, and yet as
> powerful as the PC when it comes to web-based applications.

...anf this is where Java really comes into its own. A good
browser with a stable Java 1.3 built in could do wonders for
all sorts of people.

> Nonsense. I know tons of Windows users who are dependent on
> someone else because they don't know how to resolve DLL
> conflicts, install virus scanners, defragment their hard disk,
> get their PC to work again after they accidentally dragged
> and dropped critical files, find files they "lost" etc.

If I had a cent for every user who saved their file in
the "default" directory, then couldn't find it again...

Windows didn't even get this right yet, and it never will
so long as the OS is intermixed with Microsoft apps. The
OS needs to be separated fro the apps, *now*. Only then
will there be a real incentive to sort out crap like this.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

------------------------------

From: "ax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Things Linux can't do!
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:04:57 GMT

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Oh geeze,  If Microsoft only has 16 and 18 year olds behind them,
> then I'll move this death estimate up to 2005!

Hard to understand why you keep making constant comments
on ages as if you grew up without your teens.

Today's teens will rule the world in just one or two decades.
They are the hopes and the future.

While our old timers are still ticking, let us keep faith in them,
give them our loving support and try to be still around when they rule .....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 15 May 2000 22:21:07 GMT

The Cat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Remember that every person you attack will tell another how cold the
> Linux community is and we really don't need that kind of press.

Ummm...we really never needed any press to begin with.  Linux was
very nice before all of this hullaballoo, and itll be very nice
after it as well.  You are merely incidental.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:17:30 GMT

On Mon, 15 May 2000 01:52:27 GMT, Roger <roger@.> wrote:
>>It is a well known fact the MS has subsidized people to use NT so that
>>they could publish an NT success story.

>Then you should have no problem documenting a dozen cases where this
>has happened?

Simply go to www.microsoft.com and follow the links to their NT/W2K
success stories. Upon further research you will that Microsoft
provided many of these customers free licensing and onsite technical
support in return for allowing Microsoft to publicize the site. Some
examples off the top of my head are quixtar.com, connexion.com and
barnesandnoble.com.

Hell, there was a post in this newsgroup yesterday about NATO command
center being given free licenses and a full time on-site Microsoft
employee just for running NT.

>Didn't think so...

You really need to pull your head out of the sand.

Perry

------------------------------

From: "Edwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: HUMOR: CSMA has the Tholenbot... we should have the Templetonbot.  (was
Re: The "outlook" for MS)
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 17:16:11 -0500

Angela Kahealani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I may be posting from a PPC, but it IS running PowerMachTen...
> providing SMTP, ftpd, httpd, etc...

Wotta woman!  Are you married?   I ask for information only.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:23:11 GMT

On Mon, 15 May 2000 12:35:52 -0500, Rob Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8fp33a$joh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
><various snippage>
>
>> I have seen a lot of BSODs in my time, and in every single
>> instance, I was able to track them back to one of two
>> things:
>>
>> 1.)  Faulty, or chintzy hardware.
>> 2.)  Improperly written drivers.
>>
>> The above factors are merely a result of clueless
>> administrators, who have spent too much time under
>> UNIX, and who have tried to deploy WindowsNT in the
>> same manner, which you cannot.
>
>uhmm... MS doesn't aggree with you stephen. In a survey _they published_, 40
>percent of BSODs were attributed to "internal NT components". Hardware,
>apps, etc. got the rest.

Hardware, apps, etc???
          ^^^^
Huh?? You mean some of the remaining 60% of the crashes are due to
apps?? Isn't that also the fault of the OS?? I guess not by Microsoft's
standards for an OS.

Perry

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:32:49 GMT

Perry Pip wrote:

> On Mon, 15 May 2000 01:52:27 GMT, Roger <roger@.> wrote:
> >>It is a well known fact the MS has subsidized people to use NT so that
> >>they could publish an NT success story.
>
> >Then you should have no problem documenting a dozen cases where this
> >has happened?
>
> Simply go to www.microsoft.com and follow the links to their NT/W2K
> success stories. Upon further research you will that Microsoft
> provided many of these customers free licensing and onsite technical
> support in return for allowing Microsoft to publicize the site. Some
> examples off the top of my head are quixtar.com, connexion.com and
> barnesandnoble.com.
>
> Hell, there was a post in this newsgroup yesterday about NATO command
> center being given free licenses and a full time on-site Microsoft
> employee just for running NT.
>
> >Didn't think so...
>
> You really need to pull your head out of the sand.
>
> Perry

Oh poop Perry!  Microsoft will not even admit they have a virus control
problem!
According to Microsoft they have no VIRUS control problem!

There's only one thing worse than getting your information from a
windows advocacy newsgroup
and that's getting it from the Microsoft web site!

W2K hasn't been out long enought for anybody to publish good test
results on dependability.
All we know for sure as of now is it's now twice as slow as linux.

That's all we know for SURE.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:34:13 GMT

ax wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Oh geeze,  If Microsoft only has 16 and 18 year olds behind them,
> > then I'll move this death estimate up to 2005!
>
> Hard to understand why you keep making constant comments
> on ages as if you grew up without your teens.
>
> Today's teens will rule the world in just one or two decades.
> They are the hopes and the future.
>
> While our old timers are still ticking, let us keep faith in them,
> give them our loving support and try to be still around when they rule .....

That's absolutely true.  No doubt about it.

And by the way future rulers of the world need an operating system to do
it with!

That's why you should be glad Linux will be around to fulfill that niche
for you!

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:35:03 GMT

Evan DiBiase wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > You haven't been alive very long.
> >
> > BTW, did I mention I actually started my computer career before you were
> > born.
>
> You've got a pretty bad attitude. "I can't think of anything to say to you,
> so I win because I've had more experience." Come on, this is the internet.
> I'd expect more than that from you.
>
> I try to be very open-minded. If you'd like to ask me some questions about
> my Linux experience, or why I'm using Windows 2000 now instead of Linux, I'd
> be glad to talk with you. Maybe you can bring up some points that I haven't
> thought of. But _please_ don't lord your age over me. What would you have
> responded if you didn't know my age at all?
>
> -Evan

The same way unfortunately.  It seems every Microsoft supporter has
about your same intelligence.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux lacks
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 16:31:18 -0500

David Cueto wrote:

> Particular cases are not relevant. I assure to you that ext2 has made me
> loose more data than NTFS and even FAT32, and it is not a joke. Anyway,
> mine is a particular case too :-)

So far, you haven't given us any reason to think you've actually even used
ext2.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 15 May 2000 22:36:49 GMT

The Cat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I too run a digital audio studio based on Windows 98SE and rarely if
> ever do I have a problem. I can stream 40 somewhat tracks at 44.1k to
> hard disk applying real time effects (via FFT) without a hic-cup.

Based on 98SE?  You must be one of those 'trance' people.

> Why do the Linux people have such a hard time believing this is an
> everyday occurrence in certain fields?

It is an every day occurrence in the sound engineering field, but
there are better platforms.

> In my field Linux is a house joke. People actually laugh at the
> mention of the word. Take a look at some of the pro audio groups out
> there (most are list's so you'll have to subscribe) and see what
> happens when the Linux question comes up.

Actually, high end sound engineering is based almost exclusively
in embedded rackmount systems and macintoshes.  Sorry about that.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:37:22 GMT

Paul 'Z' Ewande=A9 wrote:
> =

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a =E9crit dans le message news:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> =

> <SNIP> Some advocacy stuff </SNIP>
> =

> /me butting in...
> =

> > You haven't been alive very long.
> =

> Is it a bad thing ? :)
> =

> > BTW, did I mention I actually started my computer career before you w=
ere
> > born.
> =

> Excuse, but what is your point here ?
> =

> Why don't you just let your arguments make your points for you, instead=
 just
> saying how old and experienced you supposedly are ?
> =

> > Charlie
> =

> Paul 'Z' Ewande

Okay.  Microsoft is a blue screening mess which can't handle a load.

IN FACT, the only time you can associate the word load and Microsoft
together is
when you say 'PANTLOAD'.  Because you'll have a pantload when you found
out
YOUR server just blue screened about 650 users during month end.

There!  You happy now?

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Kurt
Subject: WHICH LINUX???
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 17:33:19 -0500

I am a newbie to Linux and am wondering which Linux to go with. Suse,
Mandrake, Redhat, Debian, Corel Linux etc......... you get the point.
I am doing reading but haven't found good info that describes the
differences between the Linux variations. could anyone give me links,
or info that will explain differences of each and what they are best
suited for. I've heard Corel Linux is easy to work with, as far as
Linux goes, and am looking into that more than the others. Please
provide ANY INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your input
KURT

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:41:05 GMT

David Cueto wrote:

> Particular cases are not relevant. I assure to you that ext2 has made me
> loose more data than NTFS and even FAT32, and it is not a joke. Anyway,
> mine is a particular case too :-)

Linux lacks nothing.  There isn't a thing you can do with Microsoft you
can't
do with Linux better.

And that's the facts.

Try and challenge that statement.  You'll find you can't.

Charlie

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 18:44:45 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

JoeX1029 wrote:

> I just downloaded the Minix source code and unziped it and the two remaining
> files are CMD.TAZ and SYS.TAZ.  What the hell is TAZ??  On the site itsadi it
> is a comprersssed tar archieve.  How do I uncompres??  Thanks.

That's probably a shortened name for tar.gz files.   Try renaming them to
cmd.tar.gz and sys.tar.gz and then use tar to extract:

tar zxvf cmd.tar.gz

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Evan DiBiase" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 19:02:43 -0400

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Evan DiBiase wrote:
> >
> > "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > You haven't been alive very long.
> > >
> > > BTW, did I mention I actually started my computer career before you
were
> > > born.
> >
> > You've got a pretty bad attitude. "I can't think of anything to say to
you,
> > so I win because I've had more experience." Come on, this is the
internet.
> > I'd expect more than that from you.
> >
> > I try to be very open-minded. If you'd like to ask me some questions
about
> > my Linux experience, or why I'm using Windows 2000 now instead of Linux,
I'd
> > be glad to talk with you. Maybe you can bring up some points that I
haven't
> > thought of. But _please_ don't lord your age over me. What would you
have
> > responded if you didn't know my age at all?
> >
> > -Evan
>
> The same way unfortunately.  It seems every Microsoft supporter has
> about your same intelligence.

Great attack, there. Try supporting your position... you're not going to
convince anyone that _anything_ is worth using if you run around screaming,
"I'VE BEEN USING COMPUTERS FOR 20 YEARS! MICROSOFT SUPPORTERS ARE STUPID!
USE LINUX! YEAH!!!" I really can't believe that your argument is so
completely unfounded.

-Evan

------------------------------

From: John Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 May 2000 23:03:45 GMT

The Cat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: The guy posts his experience's and you rabid Linvocates jump all over
: him. Very poorly done and it just fortifies the non Linux users
: inherent opinion of Linux supporters as mightier than God almighty.

It is strange that some of the Linux advocates in this group seem almost
... bitter.

What more could they have wanted than this last two years of history?

You'd think, with so much going the Linux way, that they could be a bit
happier.  And what better to reinforce Linux successes than cheerful and
patience help for those who don't _yet_ use Linux?

John