From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Security in Open Source Software
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 02:48:19 GMT

"pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > An interesting article about security in Open Source projects.
> > http://webdeveloper.earthweb.com/websecu/article/0,,12013_621851,00.html
>
> This is interesting but silly.
>
> Open source is open -> people think people look at it -> false sense of
> security
>
> Open source is open -> people exploit code for there own gain ->
> exploits
>
> Open source is open -> people still don't find the bugs
>
> It just does not stand to any reason to argue that Open source is
> anything but MORE secure. It is like encryption algorithms : "my secret
> unbreakable code". It just makes simple sense.
>
> The only valid point is that just because software is opensource people
> should not *automatically* assume that it is secure. But is this not
> just common sense ?

More people looking, more bugs found. But the problem is, there is no
end to the bugs. More bugs get produced (a natual byproduct of humans
programming computers in closed and open source) and not enough
eyeballs are looking to solve all the problems before the next release.

The net effect is that more vulnerabilities are found in open source
and less in closed source.

Is this a good thing? Perhaps. But it's just more work for the admins.

Is less bugs being found in closed source a bad thing? Perhaps, but
in the end, and there is strong evidence to support this, the crackers
just end up using the known bugs anyhow, rather than looking for
new ones.

Keeping your server patched (with any OS) is the best, most safest
way to avoid being cracked.

With Open Source, this just means more work.

I know, the Open Source promise is a strong one, but in the real world,
it just doesn't pan out properly.

-c

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.retail.category.management,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux in Retail & Hospitality - What Every Retailer Should Know
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 03:03:41 GMT

"spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 13 May 2001 18:32:18 GMT, "Chad Myers"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >"Ayende Rahien" <Don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:9dmgsu$n0l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> That *is* surprising.
> >> Linux is small, it *has* where to grow.
> >> MS is huge, it has little where it can grow to, and yet it manage to be a
> >> seocnd? Impresive.
> >
> >BeOS grew from 5 users to 20. That was a 400% increase. BeOS has a higher
> >growth rate than Linux! BeOS will take over the world!
> >
> ></Penguinista mentality>
>
> Hey, it worked for MS with their press releases from NT's early years.
> They always hyped the growth rate stat.

But it wasn't false. NT had, and does still have, real growth. Real
numbers and real percentage points based on the whole.

Linux has neither.

-c

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: What does Linux need for the desktop?
Date: 15 May 2001 03:15:49 GMT

On Mon, 14 May 2001 21:49:31 -0400,
 pookoopookoo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Eww I think Star Office is a Pig!
>
> Sorry terry, but maybe your computer is a POS. Staroffice runs just fine on
> my machine. Maybe you should update your pre-cambrian hardware to something
> decent ;)

Just what's wrong with pre-cambrian hardware ????

I'm off the upgrade path (thank you Linux) now :)

Actually the last time I saw Staroffice was about 4 years ago
at a Linux group, and it was running on a 486DX2/66 and tho it
ran just fine, it was very slow.

I may be a bit unkind with Staroffice I'll admit, but I just
don't like monoliths.

Long live LYX!

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.retail.category.management,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 03:05:39 GMT

"Neil Cerutti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jon Johansan posted:
> >"Neil Cerutti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Ever heard the fable of the rice and the chess board?
> >
> >Right - it's a FABLE
>
> There are several lead-ins to the tale, but in the end, a poor
> beggar defeats a rich land-ownder in a game of chess. The rich
> land-owner is so impressed he allows the beggar to ask for
> anything in return. The beggar's small request: enough rice to
> cover one chess board in the following fashion: one kernel of
> rice on the first square, two on the second, four on the third, 8
> on the fourth, and so on.
>
> The greedy land-ownder agrees, thinking he is getting off easy
> with just a few bags of rice to pay.
>
> However, the land-ownder is astonished and humbled when he learns
> from his wise men's calculations that there is not enough rice in
> the entire kingdom to fulfil the beggar's request.
>
> I.e., A faster growth rate for Linux will allow it to easily
> catch up and surpass Microsoft's market share, not matter how
> great Microsoft's lead.
>
> But you can sit around being foolish, like the rich land-ownder, if
> you really must.

Yeah, that's if Linux had a sustained growth rate of 200% for
how many years?

Keep dreaming.

It's at its peak now and it's barely touched the market.

-c

------------------------------

From: kosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 21:26:22 -0600

Chad Myers wrote:

> "pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>> >
>> > An interesting article about security in Open Source projects.

http://webdeveloper.earthweb.com/websecu/article/0,,12013_621851,00.html

>> This is interesting but silly.
>>
>> Open source is open -> people think people look at it -> false sense of
>> security
>>
>> Open source is open -> people exploit code for there own gain ->
>> exploits
>>
>> Open source is open -> people still don't find the bugs
>>
>> It just does not stand to any reason to argue that Open source is
>> anything but MORE secure. It is like encryption algorithms : "my secret
>> unbreakable code". It just makes simple sense.
>>
>> The only valid point is that just because software is opensource people
>> should not *automatically* assume that it is secure. But is this not
>> just common sense ?
>
> More people looking, more bugs found. But the problem is, there is no
> end to the bugs. More bugs get produced (a natual byproduct of humans
> programming computers in closed and open source) and not enough
> eyeballs are looking to solve all the problems before the next release.
>
> The net effect is that more vulnerabilities are found in open source
> and less in closed source.
>
> Is this a good thing? Perhaps. But it's just more work for the admins.
>
> Is less bugs being found in closed source a bad thing? Perhaps, but
> in the end, and there is strong evidence to support this, the crackers
> just end up using the known bugs anyhow, rather than looking for
> new ones.
>
> Keeping your server patched (with any OS) is the best, most safest
> way to avoid being cracked.
>
> With Open Source, this just means more work.
>
> I know, the Open Source promise is a strong one, but in the real world,
> it just doesn't pan out properly.
>
> -c

Yeah apt-get update; apt-get upgrade --assume-yes  is a really hard thing
to put in a cron job for the server and have it run every 24 hours. The
machine will then check for updates to itself every 24 hours and apply
security updates that it finds.

What I have found is maintaining open source boxen is far easier then
maintaing windows or other unix boxen.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 23:49:26 -0400

Ray Fischer wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Ray Fischer wrote:

> >> No, it doesn't.  Sex is how AIDS is transmitted, but sex alone
> >> does not lead to AIDS any more than masturbation leads to hairy
> >> palms.
> >
> >Let's see...if you're a man, and you have sex with a female infected
> >with AIDS, your chances of contracting AIDS is....
>
> If you're a man, and your have sex with another man who does not have
> AIDS, your chance of getting AIDS is?

And you know that he's not infected with AIDS how, exactly?

Accuracy counts, so be precise.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 23:49:49 -0400

Ray Fischer wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> If you have really firm evidence that homosexualtiy is genetic, I suggest
> >> you publish.
> >
> >Then you admit that it's a choice.
>
> Why are bigots so often stupidly illiterate as well?

I have a right to judge other people by their CHOICES and BEHAVIOR.

> --
> Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.retail.category.management,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 00:00:02 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Neil Cerutti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Jon Johansan posted:
>> >
>> >Right - it's a FABLE
>>
>> There are several lead-ins to the tale, but in the end, a poor
>> beggar defeats a rich land-ownder in a game of chess. The rich
>> land-owner is so impressed he allows the beggar to ask for
>> anything in return. The beggar's small request: enough rice to
>> cover one chess board in the following fashion: one kernel of
>> rice on the first square, two on the second, four on the third, 8
>> on the fourth, and so on.
>>
>> The greedy land-ownder agrees, thinking he is getting off easy
>> with just a few bags of rice to pay.
>>
>> However, the land-ownder is astonished and humbled when he learns
>> from his wise men's calculations that there is not enough rice in
>> the entire kingdom to fulfil the beggar's request.
>>
>> I.e., A faster growth rate for Linux will allow it to easily
>> catch up and surpass Microsoft's market share, not matter how
>> great Microsoft's lead.
>>
>> But you can sit around being foolish, like the rich land-ownder, if
>> you really must.
>
> Yeah, that's if Linux had a sustained growth rate of 200% for
> how many years?
>
> Keep dreaming.
>
> It's at its peak now and it's barely touched the market.

Why would you say it is at it's peak? All evidence I can see is that it is
just starting to hit mainstream quite favorably.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 14:38:39 +1000
From: Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

pip wrote:

> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > An interesting article about security in Open Source projects.
> > http://webdeveloper.earthweb.com/websecu/article/0,,12013_621851,00.html
>
> This is interesting but silly.

[...]
> Open source is open -> people still don't find the bugs

This is a valid point, why should you doubt him?  He has the experience
to back it up.  Open source is better than closed source for security
but it's not god.

IanP

------------------------------

From: Shao Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.emacs.help,alt.religions.vim,alt.religion.emacs,fj.editor.vi,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Tired of XEMACS, moving to VIM
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 14:38:47 +1000

3FE wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:29:27 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> insisted:
> I like vim.  I started using it on a suse box recently.  I tried
> implementing colorization on my debian (potato) laptop and it doesn't
> work.  Is this a new feature?  debian generally holds itself to older
> versions, but no colorization?
>
> (0) eachep keeling /home/keeling_ dpkg -l | grep vim
> ii  vim             5.6.070-1       Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor
>
> Who needs drag and drop?  I've got X Window cut and paste.

apt-get install vim-rt

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 04:39:58 GMT

"Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Tom Wilson wrote:
>
> > around. Linux needs a bit of work and coaxing to get to where we want to
go
>                                        ^^^^^^^^
> > with it.
>
> Not true.  Linux will work with 10 Base-T cables as well as 10 Base 2.
> 8-)

Cute..<g>
Glad those days are over, BTW...
Doubly glad I don't have to mess with thicknet anymore!

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To Erik: What is Wordperfect missing?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 04:42:35 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:cOZL6.832$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > Personally, I think any word processing app, even Star Office, is
> probably
> > > fine for most people and don't see the NEED to have Office, however I
do
> > > prefer Office and would certainly WANT to have it.
> >
> > Earlier versions of Office were quite good (IMO). 2000 seems a bit
effects
> > laden and bloated. We use it at work primarily for Access as it makes it
> > easy to edit and proofread app-generated tables and the like. We also
use
> > Outlook for messaging out of  perverse humor (We're less than five steps
> > apart, yet will use internal e-mail as opposed to talking. The task
> feature
> > is quite useful at times, though)
>
> Actually, 2000 is *LESS* bloated than 97 was.  Yes, it has more features,
> but they spent a lot more time componentizing things and making it use
less
> memory.

Well.... I don't remember 97 being quite that bad, as far as bloat went. At
any rate, I'm stuck using 2000 until we switch gears and start working on
the Linux side of our current project. Not quite sure what options to
utilize yet. Who knows, maybe we'll communicate verbally again! <g>

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux too slow to emulate Microsoft
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 04:43:46 GMT

"Doug Ransom (usenet)"
<>-a?Qnjk6MSA9@m^5a1ܝ_Wֿ[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote in message news:TM%L6.356$qa5.5150@read1...
> But is is soooo useful than linux is basicaly obsolete.
>
> Linux is obsolete without a competetive run time object model to the
common
> language runtime.

Expect that to change shortly....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Promoting Distribution of Open Source Applications
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 04:53:25 GMT

There is a lot of Open-Source products out there.  Some are easy to
use,  Some more difficult.  Open Country  http://www.opencountry.org
is trying to build a new delivery mechanism by simplfying installation
and launch of these applications.  As one of our engineers said
recently:  What I am trying to do now within the [open-source]
movement is:

1. Expand the range and depth of development. Opening the doors of
Open Source to even more participants.

2. Create incentive to inovate.

3. Promote Open Source OS's as desktop/office/handheld OS of choice.

4. Take the best that the Cathedral has to offer and install it into
the bazaar.

5. Give business the "warm fuzzy" that it needs to promote the use of
Open Source software in thier day to day work (ie the desktop in the
cubicle)

6. Move the ability to use Open Source software from the geek to the
meek, in other words make it simple enough for my mother to use.

7. Create an organization that is as resposive to the community of
users as possible.

Did we succeed?

Use  the feedback forms at http://www.opencountry.org

------------------------------

From: Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 21:35:27 -0700

In msgid <3afb33c7$0$78412$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jan Johanson wrote: on
Thursday 10 May 2001 17:38

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

>> > And you'll void your warranty. But a car isn't software and this
> software is
>> > licensed not sold. Trying leasing that car and see what happens when
>> > you decide to swap out the motor and change in the interior...
>>
>> At least when I buy some Linux distro I own it outright.  No licenses
>> akin to the likes of MS at least.
>
> You think you can do whatever you'd like with that Linux setup eh?
>
> OK, change something.
>
> Try to keep it to yourself.
>
> Ooops you are in violation of the GPL - Stallman is gonna kick your little
> sisters butt if you don't share your efforts with everyone for free.

*BZZT*

Sorry Jan, wrong again. You can change anything you want, and if you don't
distribute the binary, you don't have to distribute the source, Simple as
that. But then, you didn't actually *read* the GPL, did you?

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 21:46:05 -0700

In msgid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bob Hauck wrote: on Sunday
13 May 2001 15:43

> On 13 May 2001 12:09:05 -0500, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I have to use caps cause lamers won't permit HTML in newsgroups so we
>> could use italics, bold and proper quoting styles so we're forced to use
>> something else.
>
> Some old-timer told me that it was /italics/, *bold*, and _underline_.

I have been playing with Knode, (I usually use slrn) and just noticed that
Knode rendered your markup correctly, sweet :) I though I had it in html
mode or something. But it groks the markup you used just fine...