From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message
Date: 11 Apr 2001 21:10:57 GMT

WGAF ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: > Dave Martel wrote:
: >
: > > On Sat, 07 Apr 2001 03:45:47 GMT, "WGAF" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > >
: > > >You'd have hard time naming some commercial
: > > >grade application for Linux. Even if you do, they won't be free.
: > >
: > > TCLPro, Corel PhotoPaint, WordPerfect, Snif+, not to mention the usual
: > > apps like GIMP and XEmacs. There's bunches more but it's been a long
: > > day.
: >
: > Sorry, for  a win-advocate (such as WGAF), unless Microsoft produces an
: > application for Linux, then everything else that runs on it must be
: > sub-standard!

: As oppose to a lin-advocate for whom quality doesn't matter as long as the
: software isn't from Microsoft, right?

Actually since the keys are in your hands, the quality doesn't matter as long
as it's free b/c it will always be evolving and getting better.  Those who
bitch about the level of quality in the free sw community should do something about it
or go buy win. Bitching is a waste of time. If you buy something then it better be
perfect and have free support. Many free apps all ready have this,
BTW.

: Otto

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:11:41 +0000 (UTC)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jonas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hm.

: To wish for another Big IBM as a qritique against microsoft isn't sufficient
: to open up the market in a competitive state.

: MS Office offer alot that no one else offer. The overall interaction between
: Microsoft products is the strenght of the company.

A lot of companies also offer fragile proprietary file formats.

: Linux isn't gonna be free bucks. They're gonna squeeze you for money.

That'll be a cute trick.  Must be that hidden "squeeze you for money"
clause in the GPL that I was unaware of.

: You can tailor your own programs to work with MS Office and other MS Suites.

When I can preview LaTeX DVIs in Word, let me know.

: When Sun talked about distributed objects MS implemented it at a proper
: time.

When, exactly, is the "proper time" for distributed objects?

: The Java language is just an overstated, idiotic system the serves no one
: with efficiency in mind. C++ just do everything faster, more flexible, and
: more efficient. Why would you ever wan't Java if you standardize your
: company on Windows machines.

Why would I want to standardize on Windows machines?
Will Windows run well on Sparc chips?

: Oracle just boosted the DB prices with their per processor licensing model
: which MS took after. Blame Oracle for all that's bad with prices on DB and
: the internet interaction, concerning prices of course.

All these tangents are making me dizzy.  So we have to blame Oracle
because Microsoft *raised* its RDBMS prices?

: People buy MS products because they get something out of it. Ever tried to
: use Borland products ?

And here I thought they were buying MS products just because they
were nice people and wanted to donate to Bill's retirement fund...

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:16:08 GMT

Goldhammer wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:46:30 GMT, Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >He's almost as funny as Derek Smart.
>
> I hear Derek is busy porting BC3000AD and
> BC Millenium over to Linux.
>
> --
> Don't think you are. Know you are.

I hadn't heard that. Derek seems to be a Microsoft fanatic (read his
rants on Direct X) and he doesn't believe in supporting any gear that
isn't mainstream by his standards (BCM will support NO video cards that
are over a year old) so I'm not sure if I would believe that. It could
be possible though.
--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Linux console?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:19:52 -0500

"Neil Cerutti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I think Microsoft is insane to get into the console gaming
> market. If SEGA, a company with decades of experience in the
> field cannot do it right, what makes Microsoft think that *they*
> can do it?

Microsoft has one advantage that Sega didn't.  It will be a breeze for
developers to port between the X-Box and Windows (and vice versa).  This
will be very attractive to many game makers, since they can kill two birds
with one stone.

> In any case, if history is any indication, Microsoft's first try
> at the Xbox will fail. It remains to be seen if they will make
> enough money from it to release the next version of the Xbox.

MS has a long history of continuing products for years even if they aren't
making a lot of money.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: 11 Apr 2001 16:13:35 -0500

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:42:50 GMT, Jonas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hm.
>
>The Java language is just an overstated, idiotic system the serves no one
>with efficiency in mind. C++ just do everything faster, more flexible, and
>more efficient. Why would you ever wan't Java if you standardize your
>company on Windows machines.

Java and C++ are very similar languages.  What you are complaining about
is the difference between whether the code is compiled into a binary or
whether it is compiled to "byte-code" and "interpreted" at run time.
If you compile Java code to machine code executables the way you
do with your C++ code the preformance issues end up becoming equal.
It's the JVM you're complaining about, not the language.

>People buy MS products because they get something out of it. Ever tried to
>use Borland products ?

Borland makes grep IDEs...much better than MS Visual Studio that's for darn
sure.  Borland compilers are much superior to Microsoft's.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: 11 Apr 2001 15:27:08 -0600

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Craig Kelley wrote:
>
> >> Did you try loading the modules manually at the command line to see if
> >> they work?  Perhaps your kernel and modules are out of sync.
> >
> > You're going *way* over his head by asking him to do something so
> > difficult.  If he can't drag it around in KDE then it's lost on him.
> > It's the TV generation's mentalitiy to everything:  If I can't solve
> > it in 30 minutes, intersperced with handy 4-minute breaks, then it's
> > too difficult and I must whine about my patience-challenged
> > personality in public.
>
> Ridiculous! The modules load just fine. Unfortunately if DHCP is loaded
> first, then they don't. This is a documented _feature_ of SuSE 7.1

Would you really like me to enummerate the documented "features" of
Windows that I don't care for?

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:29:13 GMT

GreyCloud wrote:

> Pete Goodwin wrote:
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18233.html
> >
> > Another Linux venture bites the dust.
> >
> > --
> > ---
> > Pete Goodwin
> > All your no fly zone are belong to us
> > My opinions are my own
>
> It reads more like it lacked funding due to the way the markets are
> going down.
> No company is really having any luck attracting investments.

Yeah, exactly. It failed.
--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: 11 Apr 2001 16:25:57 -0500

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:52:03 -0400, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Given access to the source code, which is a given, you need only change
>> a few lines of code and recompile.  I don't understand why even the
>> UNIX guys are having trouble with this concept.
>
>Yes, but that's Mozilla,  I'm talkin' Netscape 4.76, and there is no
>source code for that branch.  Mozilla is not Netscape;  it is a totally
>re-vamped open source version of Netscape.  Netscape 4.76 is
>closed-source.

OK...you're correct that it would be very hard to get the source code for
netscape 4.6 or 4.7x.

but the POINT is that it is very easy to modify a different newsreader (slrn,
mozilla, etc) and make headers look EXACTLY like those generated by netscape 4.6
or 4.7x

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Inktomi Webmap -- Apache has 60% now.
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:40:09 -0500

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.ols2.software-acq.compaq.com+

> > Unix,
> > >
> > > Well, it may not seem accurate, but an intrusion is an intrusion.
> >
> > I'm not sure I follow you.  The article claims that it was NT4 that was
> > breached, yet Netcraft seems to indicate that at the time of the attack,
> > they were running Tru64 (and Apache).  Clearly one must call into
question
> > the validity of the article at all if they can't even get what OS the
> > computer was running correct.
>
> "The two sub domain servers, both running hackers' favourite
> Microsoft IIS 4 on NT, were hit overnight."
>
> This is the part above.

Note also that it says which web servers were hit:

"One of the defacements on www.ols2.software-acq.compaq.com by
Antihackerlink appears to have used the well documented Unicode exploit "

And again, look at the link I provided:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.ols2.software-acq.compaq.com+

It shows that www.ols2.software-acq.compaq.com was running Tru64 with Apache
at about the time the article claims.

> "Compaq's main site, Compaq.com, runs the less attacked Apache web
> server on
> Compaq's own flavour of Unix, Tru64."
>
> I would say by all of this that MS draws more attention to hackers and
> that hackers do breach the security.  If UNIX was the target, I'd say
> they would have a more difficult time. Not impossible, just difficult.

Which is completely irrelevant to the point here.  At least one of the
breached computers was apparently actually running Unix, and not NT4 like
the article claims.  That brings the entire article into doubt.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefaan A Eeckels)
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Crossposted-To:
comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:14:22 +0200

In article <9avi9f$hd4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Dan Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> OTOH, when I do serious development, I telnet the files to my Windows
> machine and use a real editor!!

Since when does telnet support file copies?
Or Windows include a telnet server?

--
Stefaan
--

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Article:  Windows XP won't support USB 2.0
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:47:04 -0500

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> > > Didn't MS ever consider all of those USB devices people purchased??
> > > Some enterprising company will make adapter cards and drivers for
these
> > > orphaned products.
> >
> > USB 1.1 is still supported, USB 2.0 isn't because USB 2.0 isn't done
yet.

> What is MSs' intentions then?

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5558916.html

"Microsoft "recognizes the importance of USB 2.0 as a newly emerging
standard and is evaluating the best mechanism for making it available to
Windows XP users after the initial release," the representative wrote in an
e-mail. "

"But MicroDesign Resources analyst Peter Glaskowsky believes Microsoft will
be able to add USB 2.0 support to Windows XP fairly easily. "The vast
majority of code is already in the (operating system), so all that is really
needed are new drivers," he said. "

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:41:07 -0400

Jon Johanson wrote:

> "Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On 2 Apr 2001 18:43:06 -0500, Jon Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >I don't believe you. How about showing us one?
> > >

> > Hey Everybody!  It's Jon!  Hi Jon!
> >
> > You asked, so here ya go:
> >
> > Here are some files from a Windows 2000 Professional system along with
> > the copyright strings that are contained in them:
> >
> > C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\finger.exe
> > @(#) Copyright (c) 1980 The Regents of the University of California.
> > C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\nslookup.exe
> > @(#) Copyright (c) 1985,1989 Regents of the University of California.
> > C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\rcp.exe
> > @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
> > C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\rsh.exe
> > @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
> > C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\FTP.EXE
> > @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
> >

> Yer right - look at that. Proof from a linvocate - sorry, that caught me off
> guard.
>
> big deal - you don't really consider those commands significant to the rest
> of W2K do you?

FTP isn't significant?

Clue for the clueless--that's the protocol used for pushing all
the files every time you browse a web page.

rcp... remote copy.  similar needs

rsh... remote command execution... foundation-level tool used in web interactions.

nslookup... very important..that's how you translate symbolic hostnames
(like www.google.com) into numeric IP addresses

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 11 Apr 2001 16:37:36 -0500

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:14:22 +0200, Stefaan A Eeckels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <9avi9f$hd4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       "Dan Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> OTOH, when I do serious development, I telnet the files to my Windows
>> machine and use a real editor!!
>
>Since when does telnet support file copies?
>Or Windows include a telnet server?

Windows 2K Pro now comes with a telnet server that allows one
simultaneous login.  The latest issue of Windows 2000 has an
article about telnet that reads like it was written for 5
year olds (and JS PL).  Passwords are still plaintext over
the network though...unless you use the included proprietary
MS encryption format...but then of course you can only telnet
from another W2K box.  What a joke!

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:43:15 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> Eric Smith wrote:
> >
> > Peter da Silva wrote:
> > > As for Microsoft running out of ideas... Microsoft hasn't been much of
> > > an innovator in their entire history. They started out producing
> > > competant software development tools for CP/M and a mediocre but well
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > You mispelled "BASIC interpreters stolend from DEC"
> >
> > Having seen the source code for both DEC's and MS's BASIC interpreters,
> > I've seen no evidence that MS stole any of DEC's code.
> >
> > And you misspelled "misspelled" and "stolen".
>
> How can you compare PDP-11 assembler to 8080 assembler?
> The evidence is in seeing the same reserved words that DEC uses in
> comparison to ANSI basic.  North Star also wrote their basic, but never
> patterned it after DEC like Gates did.  MS basic then was so close to
> DECs that its a wonder DEC didn't sue him.

Especially for the CTRL-Z for end of file.

That right there is the smoking gun.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.