Linux-Advocacy Digest #670, Volume #26           Wed, 24 May 00 19:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Microsoft W2K lack of goals. (abraxas)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Microsoft W2K lack of goals. (abraxas)
  Re: Microsoft W2K lack of goals. (abraxas)
  Re: Microsoft W2K lack of goals. (abraxas)
  Re: Goodwin's Law invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save
It?) (EdWIN)
  Re: Goodwin's Law invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$    Voluntary Split
Save It?) (EdWIN)
  Re: Tholen invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?)
("Joe Malloy")
  Re: Thorne digest, volume 2451689 ("Joe Malloy")
  Re: An honest attempt (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: Malloy invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?)
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Microsoft W2K lack of goals. (abraxas)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: Tholen invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?)
(EdWIN)
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? ("Shock Boy")
  Re: Microsoft W2K lack of goals. (Gary Hallock)
  Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Microsoft W2K lack of goals. ("Drestin Black")
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Microsoft W2K lack of goals. ("Drestin Black")
  Re: Microsoft W2K lack of goals. ("Drestin Black")
  Re: Microsoft W2K lack of goals. ("Drestin Black")
  Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software (tinman)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Microsoft W2K lack of goals.
Date: 24 May 2000 22:04:51 GMT

Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> you wish.

I *know*.  You have continued to show a consistent refusal to
back up your insinuation that you know anything at all about
linux at all, and tend to use the ever-brilliant "oh yeah, well
what do you know about windows?" argument.

I suggest not posting to COLA.  You were doing so well
there for a while.

=====yttrx

comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:05:03 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) writes:

>       Actually, Linux was forked several times in the process
>       of moving to new platforms and continues to be. Linus
>       himself even considers this a 'good thing'.

Because it usually gets merged back to the "official" Linux by the
next [0-9]\.[02468] release.

--
Eric P. McCoy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

non-combatant, n.  A dead Quaker.
        - Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 24 May 2000 22:06:39 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Excuse me but my copy of Beta 2 is on a UPS truck at this very second...
> would you care to debate further that THAT copy does also not exist?

Datacenter does not exist.

> Datacenter does exist and it's running on a machine I sit about 300 feet
> from.

It does not exist.

> As for the on-line book store... hint, it doesn't start with an "A" but is
> very very close in the alphabet. As for proof, well, I guess you'd just have
> to visit the data center as I have to see for yourself. Short of that,
> you'll find nothing official until the NDA is lifted.

Oh I see.  Your proof that datacenter is anything more than a nice
story is protected by an NDA.

I have a 1024 processor version of irix running in my colon, drestin.  Id
give you the specs, but theres a few dozen NDAs up there too.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 24 May 2000 22:07:58 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Where can YOU download it? I doubt anywhere.
> Where can JDP's and tech beta partners?? From MS, of course!

I actually have access to the same CDs that you do drestin, and
I still say that datacenter does not exist.

In the same way I could have said that W2K didnt exist two years
ago.  And it didnt.  It was something better. :)

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 24 May 2000 22:09:00 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> and before production versions of linux supported 32 processors it was a
> beta version of linux that did.

> just like datacenter now...

> quit being silly.

The versions of linux that support 32 processors are no longer in beta.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Goodwin's Law invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$ Voluntary
Split Save It?)
From: EdWIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 15:08:24 -0700

In article <53YW4.10754$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> Classic circular reasoning.
>
>> If A=B does not B=A?
>
>Typical inappropriate analogy.

Incorrect.

>I was doing the equivalent of asking for the value of A.

You're erroneously presupposed the existence of "A."

>Your response does nothing to provide me with that
>value.

Unnecessary.   Meanwhile, where is your logical argument?   Why,
nowhere to be seen!

Split Save It?)
From: EdWIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 15:09:58 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Josiah Fizer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Mayor wrote:
>
>> In article <0_WW4.10747$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> >Classic circular reasoning.
>> >
>> If A=B does not B=A?
>>

>Nope. Square = Rectange but Rectangle != Square, or at least
not all the time.

Posting for entertainment purposes again?   How typical.

From: "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tholen invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save
It?)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:11:11 -0400

Oww!  Tholen tholenates:

> > The Tholen tholens:
>
> Still using made-up words, eh Malloy?

Asked, answered and not-comprehended by Tholen.

> >> Who is "we"?
>
> > The *real* question is how sic [sic!] is Tholen?
>
> How ironic, coming from the person who just wrote that.

Not nearly as ironic as the sic [sic] "induhvidual" who just typed that!
--

"USB, idiot, stands for Universal Serial Bus. There is no power on the
output socket of any USB port I have ever seen" - Bob Germer

------------------------------

From: "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Thorne digest, volume 2451689
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:13:36 -0400

Gosh, a single, three-word "digest" and Tholen feels the need to tholen it:

Today's Tholen digest, in which everything of value written by Tholen for
the past 10 years is summarized:

[ ]

That's it!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: An honest attempt
Date: 24 May 2000 17:16:43 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It has nothing to do with DISPLAY. It's because I didn't install Gnome,
>only KDE, naturally assuming it was a complete desktop - it isn't. You need
>both Gnome and KDE installed for all the 'shiny' GUI apps. Bloated or what?

GUI's are bloated by definition - if you are going to use them you
might as well embrace the bloat, take everything, and enjoy it.
In some ways it is too bad motif wasn't free from the start but in
the long run it will likely result in better alternatives.  Meanwhile
you might want to put a dollar value on the space you saved to keep
things in perspective.  I think I saw a 10 gig drive on sale for
$99 at a retail store last week.  I can't help remembering 10 years
ago when just the base unix software cost more than $1,000 and
didn't include X, so I have trouble caring about a bit of bloat in
a free system today.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
It?)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:23:02 GMT

Joe Malloy writes:

> Oww!  Tholen tholenates:

Still using made-up words, eh Malloy?

>>> The Tholen tholens:

>> Still using made-up words, eh Malloy?

> Asked, answered

Incorrect, Malloy.

> and not-comprehended by Tholen.

I can't comprehend what isn't there to comprehend, Malloy.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 24 May 2000 22:29:46 GMT

abraxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> you wish.

> I *know*.  You have continued to show a consistent refusal to
> back up your insinuation that you know anything at all about
> linux at all, and tend to use the ever-brilliant "oh yeah, well
> what do you know about windows?" argument.

Pardon the redundancy, I quit drinking coffee last thursday.

:)

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 24 May 2000 17:20:24 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> If that hardware is present, then those packages are REQUIRED. If the
>> hardware isn't there then those packages are a waste of space (and on
>> the system I was complaining about, it was more than 1% of the available
>> disk space for ISDN4LINUX alone - that's space I can't spare).
>
>Well, you can always remove them.  I see your complaint, though.

This kind of stuff really should be done at boot-time, since you
can always install the card after you install the system.  Won't
kudzu notice and do something sensible?

It?)
From: EdWIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 15:36:28 -0700

In article <HTVW4.10729$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Joe Malloy writes:
>
>> The Tholen tholens:
>
>Still using made-up words, eh Malloy?

Prove it, if you think you can.

>>> Who is "we"?
>
>> The *real* question is how sic [sic!] is Tholen?
>
>How ironic, coming from the person who just wrote that.

On what basis do you make this claim?

From: "Shock Boy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:45:31 GMT

"Mark Robinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:G3jW4.37607$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <yEiW4.2672$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > R. Tang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8gc3dh$qt8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > justice,
> > win.
> >>
> >> Ummmm....lemmme guess...another newsgroup.lawyer, right?
> >
> > The appeals court has overturned *EVERY* decision this judge has made
> > against MS in the past.  A normal person might wonder how an objective
> > jurist might get that kind of record.
>
> Appeal courts should not be looking at past decisions of judges to decide
> whether to overturn.

Um, court precedent and case law has a very long and valid history.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:57:02 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Drestin Black wrote:

> The release of Datacenter has been delayed until July/August.
>
> Perhaps I can refer you to your dictionary on the meaning of the word
> "estimated"

Oh. I understand fully the meaning of the word estimated.  You are the one
that said it was available.  Microsoft disagrees.   At least as far as a
production level available to the general public.

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:06:18 -0500

<jansens_at_ibm_dot_net (Karel Jansens)> wrote in message
> > Yes, it is.  But Windows shipped a different version, and when you
install
> > Windows, it changes your config.sys to point to the version in the
windows
> > directory.
> >
> > Try again.
>
> So how come even this morning I was able to run a shop-bought copy of
> Windows 3.1 in an OS/2 (Warp 3) VDM without even knowing at that point
> about the himem.sys file that was supposed to have been changed?

I'm not sure how the conversation switched to this, but the original
argument was about the code that detected non-MS-DOS.  Since the warning
messages are disabled in the retail version of Windows 3.1, it wouldn't show
them.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:59:23 -0400

Datacenter Does Exist.

I have it in my hands this very second. Nice shiny CD.

I am staring at the CD for Datacenter.

It is running on a quad xeon server about 300 feet from me as we speak.

There are 100s of beta testers running it right now.

You can deny all you'd like but it is futile.

news:8ghjpf$s5s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: 24 May 2000 22:56:18 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <8ghffc$l6s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>: This is fine for the handful of people who are working to solve
:>: current bugs.  It is not so fine for the millions of people who
:>: are trying to work around what should be well understood bugs
:>: in released versions.
:>
:>They wouldn't know a bug if it bit them in the nose and deleted every file
:>whose name ends in "e".

: Beg your pardon?  Do you think no one cared about the e2fs bugs
: causing data to be lost on systems running 2.2.7 (or so, it is
: hard to get good info) to 2.2.10 kernels?

They would have cared if they had known what they were seeing or
even if they had seen it. Did any distro ship with 2.2.7? (I waited
till 2.2.10 before judging 2.2. was safe). If so, there's the distros
frontlining job ready and waiting to be done. If not, it's the experts
job, and they'll mail a bug report to the kernel list.

Note that "caring" is an idea introduced by you. I was talking
about noticing.

:>It's the kernel developers and maintainers who
:>are interested in the bugs ,and they're interested in _getting_ bug
:>reports, because that's the hard bit.

: Then a central repository would be a good thing.

Why? How does having a central repository increase the number of bug
reports received by maintainers? I'd be interested to know, since
part of your argument seemed to be that it would reduce the number.
Are you shifting your accounting methods? That's OK, but make it plain.

:>They contact the newsgroup defence line for their distro. Kernel
:>list lurkers  often answer there, if required, but 9999 times out of
:>ten thousand, they are looking at an application bug or a distro bug
:>or a configuration bug.

: Nice try.  How about NFS?

How about it. You are saying that no distro comes with NFS ready to go?
Well RH claims to, but we know that's not really so. Anyway - what's
wrong with NFS? I've been running NFS with fanouts of 40+ for 7
years now. Yeah, it's been slow, yeah it has strangenesses, but that's
nfs, not linux, by and large. The only bug I've seen lately is one
about creating a directory with perms 700 and then trying to run
chmod a+rx on it on the client! No dice.

:>You miss my point. I am saying that a kernel bug is INTRINSICALLY hard
:>to define. How do you know if the kernel is wrong? What is the standard
:>against which you are measuring it?

: The usual practice is to build regression tests for as much as
: possible so you actually have an answer for this.  The people

Unfortunately that does not tell you anything. Change is often
what was intended. The previous behaviour of the kernel is not
the standard for the future behaviour. The kernel has started
downing the whole interface when you down an alias of a net
interface, for example. Is this a bug? (I have been dealing with
this heavily today). Not according to most people on the kernel
lists.

: doing bug tracking then can also tell when it is fixed and
: close the problem.
:
:>It might be a legitimate behaviour,
:>and it might be the application that is broken. Nobody except a real
:>real expert can tell, and even then it's only an opinion. Lusers have
:>not a hope.

: Can you imagine the response if this particular comment appeared
: in a Microsoft knowlege base?

No. I honestly can't imagine philosphical or theoretical points
appearing in a M$ base. They appear to be about user perceptions.
Thus they don't rise above the intellectual level of an anthill.

: I think you underestimate the number of people who need this kind
: of answer or the time it would take to supply the correct ones.

I don't. I answer about 100 mails a day. Probably half of those dealing
directly with codes I maintain. Most of the rest are dealing with
conversations over other codes, other peoples bugs, projects past
and present, articles, etc. etc.

:>: And this is the list that you are suggesting that end users or
:>: administrators would use to see if a bug is already known?
:>
:>You are purloining my words and selling them cheaply, while mixing
:>my aphorisms ...  I am telling you that the end users can go dance in
:>hell, because you have a straw man there.

: Great.  Just don't suggest Linux as an alternative to supported
: systems without letting people know what they are getting into.
: I happen to enjoy a challenge myself, but that isn't true for
: everyone.

As you know, it's a very heavily supported system. You find a bug,
why, just mail the maintainer concerned. They'll be happy to help
you out. No walls of secrecy.

:>If they're real interested they can sign up to
:>the list or browse archives on deja.  At several hundred mails a day,
:>they'll be looking till kingdom come!  If they're less interested they
:>can ask on a newsgroup, and let somebody who is filtering the stuff
:>through his brain answer.  And they can check the newsgroup archives
:>too!  Have a look at c.o.l.s.  If they're really sure enough of
:>themselves to think they have detected a bug, they can post the mailing
:>list or the maintainer concerned.  It is usually polite to post the list
:>first to get general feedback.  If the resulting furore gets loud enough
:>the maintainer will pick it out of the kernel list noise and come
:>looking for you.

: Do you mind if I quote this the next time someone asks if Linux
: is suitable for some particular job?

Sure. It's an excellent recommendation. You have wonderful full
contact with the developers themselves! Wow! None of that dealing
with idiot desk staff.

: Once upon a time I tried to run a windows program under VMWare
: that listened to a network broadcast.  It didn't work.  Why
: was it impossible at the time for me to find out that there
: was a problem with the eepro100 and multicasts and thus
: didn't have anything to do with VMWare?  (I only know now because

It became known to those of us on the lists that the eepro100 has a
limit of three hardware-serviced addresses. Anything more needs
a firmware trick and there are firmware bugs connected with it.
I.e. you should limit the hardware filters to three by telling the
driver so. It took a looong time to discover the bug. And whose bug is
it? Intel's? Donald's?

The multicast problem is not necessarily due to the eepro100, BTW.
There has been a longstanding bug conected with bridging and multicast.

: I noticed the fix mentioned in a changelog sometime since, and
: it does work correctly now).

It's been getting more and more fixed for a long time, as the eepro100
behaviour becomes better understood. But the bug is not in the driver.

:>If you volunteer to host a bugtracker, btw, everyone will be happy.
:>It's no skin off anyone's back.  But getting people to actually
:>use it is a social problem you should solve!

: OK, the fact that no one wants to do it is a legitimate issue for
: an all-volunteer effort. But you could have admitted that in
: the first place instead of trying to claim that it is not
: needed or wanted.

It is not needed and not wanted. There! And the reason is not that nobody
wants to set it up, but that nobody wants to be constrained to use it.

Sure, start one up, but don't expect it to be used exclusively. I don't
kow what the effect would be. I think it wouldn't catch on.

:>The plain fact is that
:>point bugs are found and solved in hours .. way faster than a
:>bug tracking system can get in on.

: How many releases contained the e2fs bug?  I don't think any

I don't know. I never bothered to look at 2.2.* until I judged that
the bug-find rate had dropped to "safe".

: 2.2.x kernel has had kernel NFS right.  Bugs are going to crop up

It's fairly right. Clearly faster than 2.0.* NFS. I've managed
to make it more reliable than 2.0.* NFS by using the autofs to
unmount everything at first opportunity. The fact that the kernel
nfs daemon can't do as much as the old user space one is something
I work around by running 2.0.* servers and 2.2.* clients. It ain't
broke ..

: everywhere and people have to know about them to avoid and
: work around the problems.

But these are not kernel "problems". They are simply characteristics of
the present linux behaviour. They have to be learned in the same way as
always. Are you saying that the raw admin has no way of finding out that
the rest of the world doesn't trust knfsd? He also has no way of
finding out that admining solaris nis+ is a nightmare best left
untouched. Except that he has. And has. In both cases he can go and ask
on the newsgroups. Same as always.

:>And the n-n communication is part of
:>that. It's Linus' "all bugs are visible to many eyes" line. Put
:>up a bugtrack system and you reduce the coommunication to n-1. You
:>isolate the developers from each other. That's no good.

: Just the opposite.  I generally assume that there are enough other
: people reporting bugs and just try to work around them.  If there
: were a handy way to see the known bugs for any version, I would
: know when I hit something new and go to the effort of reporting it.

The known bugs for the kernel are listed by alan. The known bugs for
parts of the kernel are on the respective pages, usually. And nothing is
stopping YOU collecting the bug reports and listing them. Everyone
will thank you. They just won't rely on your list to be either truthful
or accurate or comprehensive or up to date.

Ask yourself "bugs known by WHOM"?

:   Les Mikesell
:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 19:01:24 -0400

"abraxas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ghjru$s5s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > Where can YOU download it? I doubt anywhere.
> > Where can JDP's and tech beta partners?? From MS, of course!
>
> I actually have access to the same CDs that you do drestin, and
> I still say that datacenter does not exist.

I seriously SERIOUSLY doubt that. Especially because if you did then you too
would be staring at your nice little data center CD. And you too would be
waiting for the nice UPS man to bring you the beta 2 build.

> In the same way I could have said that W2K didnt exist two years
> ago.  And it didnt.  It was something better. :)

You need to remind yourself what the word "exist" means. You wanna claim:
"Data Center has not been released to the public yet" - go ahead, I'd agree.
But to say it doesn't exist is foolish and supremely ignorant.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 19:01:34 -0400

that's nice...

news:8ghjts$s5s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 19:06:47 -0400

it is available.
in beta form to many people.
not production form to everyone.

there is a distinction and I made it, you just didn't quote it.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tinman)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 19:07:42 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=) wrote:

> tinman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Not to mention "Deutschelander" isn't a word....('
>
> But "Deutschlaender Wuerstchen" is a brand of wiener. Right back to the
> topic of Germer ;-)

The Deutschländer Wunderwürstling?

--
______