Linux-Advocacy Digest #670, Volume #34           Mon, 21 May 01 17:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (Gregory L. Hansen)
  Re: It would be nice if ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: anti-MS FUD:  is there such a thing? Nope! ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: The nature of competition ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Who to install a .gz.tar file? ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Dell Meets Estimates ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) ("Gary Hallock")
  Re: Dell Meets Estimates (Shun Yan Cheung)
  Re: It would be nice if (kosh)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Linux on the desktop potential, suggestions needed (Jeff Cochran)
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) ("Gary Hallock")
  RIP the Linux desktop (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Linux Advocacy - Wintroll Mission  (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Linux Advocacy - Wintroll Mission (Pete Goodwin)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory L. Hansen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,sci.physics
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: 21 May 2001 19:18:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Roy Culley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Would one of you physicists like to comment garbage below.
>
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> Radio waves are not light!

It's electromagnetic radiation, same as light.

>> Radio waves have been measured by the NBS at
>> 88%.

Dunno what that means.  88% of what?

>> The speed of light has never been measured in a vacuum!

Sure it has.  _Physics Letters_ (12), 260, for one.

>> It has been measured, tho, in space that light without quantum packets
>> travels instantaneously.  Otherwise, the appearance of distant galaxies
>> would be totally distorted beyond recognition.

No, it hasn't.  Laser light bounced from retroreflectors on the Moon takes
a number of seconds to make a round trip.  And much of that trip is in a
good vacuum.

>> But this is all irrelavant.  Even if the speed of light were 1000 faster
>> than what we know... the million light years of distance and time of a
>> signal, let alone the attenuation of the inverse square of the distance
>> would render any signal unreadable, let alone detectable.

I don't know what kind of signal he's talking about, or what strength.
It's no mystery that we can see other stars when you consider their
output, the inverse square law, and Earthly optics.  But maybe that's not
the signal he's talking about.

>> Interstellar space is full of energies... and full of unseen
>> gravitational disturbances.

Maybe this makes more sense in context.

--
"'No user-serviceable parts inside.'  I'll be the judge of that!"

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: It would be nice if
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:21:54 +0100

> It would be nice if Red Hat 7 + KDE had an easier way to change monitor
> resolution than using Xconfigurate or manually editing an X
> configuration file ... or have I just confused my way into missing the
> easy way?

What's difficult about XConfigurator?

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s{15
}d f/t{240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage}d pop t

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: anti-MS FUD:  is there such a thing? Nope!
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:23:41 +0100

> The irony of this is that anti-Linux propagandists (such as UberDork and
> Penis Badlose) could very well be the ones hurling pebbles at a towering
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> giant.

who is that?

-ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The nature of competition
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:31:29 +0100

>> TPC is just a benchmark, not a real world measure. In the real world,
>> it is Linux, not Win2K that shows up at the top end of acalibility and
>> price/performance.
>
> Then why aren't we seeing any real world measurements?

But we have. Linux is used at the top end of scalibility, where
price/performance is really critical, since the costs are so high, ie
supercomputers. There are several Linux machines in the top500, there are
no Win2K or NT amchines in the top 500. A real supercomputer in real use
is the real world. A benchmark setup is not.

>> > It has?  How?  I've seen no verifiable studies that show Linux's
>> > uptime to be greater than anything else.
>>
>> 120 day MTTF, *with* nightly reboots.
>
> Really? There's Linux uptime studies that show this?  Or did you forget
> the question?

Linux's uptime isn't at the top end (Only OS/390 and VM are with a
guarnteed uptime of 35 years), but I'd wager that Linux can beat 120 days
with nightly reboots (ie Win2K's verified MTTF).

>> > Again, it has?  What do you call the 49 security bulletins in the
>> > last
>> > 6 months for Red Hat?
>>
>> Well that beats IIs by miles. And besifdes, RedHat != Linux. How many
>> issues has slackware or debian had?
>
> Actually, the Debian Security mailing list has 68 security bulletins,
> compared to Red Hat's 49.

Slackware?

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Who to install a .gz.tar file?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:34:22 +0100

> Mladen Gogala wrote:
>>
>> Voila! Mkisofs is installed into /usr/local/bin. Make sure that you do
>> not burn copyrighted music to your CDs as it is bad for your soul and
>> for the recording industry profits.
>
> FWIW, Canadians can now legally copy copyrighted music, for their own
> use.
>  The copyright owners get reimbersed through a levy the government
>  slapped
> on blank CDs, audio cassettes etc.

That's appauling. People should not have to pay a levy for backups and
people should not pay a levy on data CDs.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:40:54 +0100

>> I'm not sure exactly how at the moment, but I'll know within 3 weeks
>> since I have an exam on the subject.
>>

> Good luck with the exam!
> :-)

Thanks. I've got 7 of them.

-Ed

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 19:47:55 GMT

On Mon, 21 May 2001 19:08:37 GMT, T. Max Devlin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>This "but" is rather nonsensical.  Yes, that life may not be there
>anymore.  How would this change the fact that discovery of logical proof
>of extraterrestrial intelligence would be an unqualified scientific
>discovery of major proportions and widespread impact on the human
>condition?

>Thus, it is no longer a waste of money.  Congress, after all, is simply
>a waste of time, as they are unable to distinguish (and apparently you
>follow them in this error) between politics and science.  Your political
>argument against SETI does not rate as valid as theirs, however, since
>you are trying to argue (in various forms, a tell-tale that you may be
>trying in vain to come up with a reasonable argument) that it is
>scientifically fruitless, not merely politically "wasteful" of federal
>funds due to the speculative nature of the endeavor.
>
>Would that we could simply say "we're going to discover signs of
>extraterrestrial intelligence before this decade is over."  But plenty
>of people argued precisely the same cases as you are, against that.

Yawwwwnnnnn ho hum......

flatfish++++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Dell Meets Estimates
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:40:06 +0200

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9eb1ir$rrr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > If you're looking for a scalable system, that's the
> > ultimate: you can scale from a basic single processor server all the way
> > up to the high end machine, without much more work than putting in a new
> > machine. There is no equivalent to that in the Linux or Windows worlds,
> > and it gives Sun an important selling point: they scale further.
>
> That is in no way true. Linux scales from far lowre than solaris to
> nearly as high. Both will run on anything from a single processor machine
> (linux goes to lower ones) through mainframes up to supercomputers (where
> solaris goes slghtly higher).
>
> Linux is one of the most scalable OSs on the planet, along with solaris.

No, it isn't.
Once you got to high end, Solaris kicks Linux to the ground without even
trying.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:44:34 +0200

> Said GreyCloud in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 19 May 2001 11:39:40

> >> Radio waves travel *exactly* at the speed of light, since they're the
> >> same stuff.
> >>

> >The National Bureua of Standards has measured it to be about 88% of c.
> >It does not travel at the speed of light.  Neither do electrons in a
> >copper wire.
>
> Through air, maybe; through the vacuum of space, it's a lot closer to
> 100%.

So, you are ignorant about more then just computers, T. Max?

C is the speed of light in vacuum, it moves in 100% C in vacuum.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:58:15 +0200

"Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:4AcO6.16539$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9e9cro$2jv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > disk,
> > > >

> > > There is your problem - crappy netscape
> >
> > A real OS would have killed the process before it locked up the OS.
Linux
> > stops bad programs, why doesn't the $NZ800 Windows 2000 Pro do that?
> >
> Funny,  Win2K kill bad apps all the time,  when I running it.  The only
bad
> apps that seem to get by are Microsoft's,  I wonder why?   ;)

No, it kills MS applications just fine.
It just doesn't happen very often.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 20:06:27 GMT

   Aaron> If a car that I don't own, and I'm not riding in, crashes, killing all
aboard,
   Aaron> due to brake failure...
   >>
   Aaron> are you trying to imply that I should be prohibited from commenting that
   Aaron> the car was obviously defective in some way...

   Aaron> Personally, I wish all of these defective people would quit running around
   Aaron> demanding that I give them special rights, so that they can indulge in
   Aaron> their defective behavior.
   >>
   >> Can you name a single right being asked for that heterosexuals
   >> do not either already have,

   Yes> The PRIVILEGE of not allowing others to judge their behavior.

   Aaron> For example, *I* get judged on my behavior all the time.  Why should
   Aaron> homosexuals get a special exemption?

Who is asking for such a thing?

   >> or would have along with gays should
   >> the proposed item be passed into law?

   Aaron> They tried that in my home town just this week.

   Aaron> Although public opinion polls showed the special-rights-for-gays proposal
   Aaron> to have a slight majority....the ACTUAL VOTING TURNOUT was a landslide
   Aaron> defeat for the homsexuals.

Name one of the so-called special rights.

   Aaron> Imagine that.

   >> I will not hold my breath.
   >>
   >> There is nothing "special" about equal rights.

   Aaron> Homosexual already HAVE equal rights.

No, they are not allowed to marry the willing adult of their
choice, and are thus shut out of a large set of rights, privileges
and responsibilities.

   Aaron> Any additional laws are Special Privileges.

I have yet to see a single special right or privilege being
asked for.

You have, despite several challenges, failed to come up with
one.

Big surprise.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:29:34 +0200

T. Max Devlin wrote:

> You'd have to be pretty clueless, Gary, not to be aware of the duality
> of physics.  If radio waves were the same as light waves, how come we
> can't see them?

How come that we donīt see infrared?

I simply canīt believe this discussion. And that from americans, where the
world thought they are great engineers and scientists.
I think you should start making horseshoes again, because you will need
them badly in the next years. Just forget about electricity and such other
advanced stuff.

Peter

--
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

------------------------------

From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:13:18 +0000

> You'd have to be pretty clueless, Gary, not to be aware of the duality
> of physics.  If radio waves were the same as light waves, how come we
> can't see them?

One sees only what one wants to see.

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shun Yan Cheung)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Date: 21 May 2001 16:16:29 -0400

In article <9ebrta$6f6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Once you got to high end, Solaris kicks Linux to the ground without even
>trying.

To be fair, Solaris is highly optimized for SPARC only.
Linux is trying to run on everything on this planet...
There is no way Linux can match Solaris on the highend
without a major overhaul. But they were designed for
different purposes...

--
``Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly''

------------------------------

From: kosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:16:20 -0600

Jim wrote:

> It would be nice if Red Hat 7 + KDE had an easier way to change
> monitor resolution than using Xconfigurate or manually editing an X
> configuration file ... or have I just confused my way into missing the
> easy way?

I agree there is no reason it should not be easier to do that. Mandrake
includes a nice control panel that makes it easy to do that. There has been
some talk about building that kind of functionality into kde thought which
would be nice.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:28:14 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Aaron> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>    >>
>    >> >>>>> Aaron R Kulkis writes:
>    >>
>    Aaron> Roberto Pavan wrote:
>    >> >>
>    >> >> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>    >> >>
>    >> >> > You guys STILL have yet to demonstrate that homosexuality is
>    >> >> > anything OTHER than defective behavior.
>    >> >>
>    >> >> Why?  Seriously.  Why should they demonstrate anything?
>    >> >>
>    >> >> Seeing as it affects you not one whit whether someone chooses to have sex
>with
>    >> >> someone of the same gender, why should they have to prove anything to you
>at all
>    >> >> regarding this behaviour?  Why not go on wearing your tutu and playing with
>your
>    >>
>    Aaron> If a car that I don't own, and I'm not riding in, crashes, killing all
>aboard,
>    Aaron> due to brake failure...
>    >>
>    Aaron> are you trying to imply that I should be prohibited from commenting that
>    Aaron> the car was obviously defective in some way...
>    >>
>    >> >> sock while listening to Barry Manilow records and staring at pictures of
>flatulent
>    >> >> field mice and leave them the hell alone?  Both you and they will be ever
>so much
>    >> >> happier...
>    >>
>    Aaron> Personally, I wish all of these defective people would quit running around
>    Aaron> demanding that I give them special rights, so that they can indulge in
>    Aaron> their defective behavior.
>    >>
>    >> Can you name a single right being asked for that heterosexuals
>    >> do not either already have,
>
>    Yes> The PRIVILEGE of not allowing others to judge their behavior.
>
>    Aaron> For example, *I* get judged on my behavior all the time.  Why should
>    Aaron> homosexuals get a special exemption?
>
> Who is asking for such a thing?

The gay privileges lobby.

>    >> or would have along with gays should
>    >> the proposed item be passed into law?
>
>    Aaron> They tried that in my home town just this week.
>
>    Aaron> Although public opinion polls showed the special-rights-for-gays proposal
>    Aaron> to have a slight majority....the ACTUAL VOTING TURNOUT was a landslide
>    Aaron> defeat for the homsexuals.
>
> Name one of the so-called special rights.

The privilege to NOT bear the consequences of one's behavior.

>    Aaron> Imagine that.
>
>    >> I will not hold my breath.
>    >>
>    >> There is nothing "special" about equal rights.
>
>    Aaron> Homosexual already HAVE equal rights.
>
> No, they are not allowed to marry the willing adult of their
> choice, and are thus shut out of a large set of rights, privileges
> and responsibilities.

Any man is allowed to marry any woman whom he so chooses.
Any woman is allowed to marry any man whom she so chooses.

All gays have these rights, just like anybody else.

>    Aaron> Any additional laws are Special Privileges.
>
> I have yet to see a single special right or privilege being
> asked for.

You wish to escape the consequences of your deviancy.

> You have, despite several challenges, failed to come up with
> one.
>

> Big surprise.
>
> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: (Jeff Cochran)
Subject: Linux on the desktop potential, suggestions needed
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 20:36:04 GMT

I'm back to reviewing Linux for our desktops again, it's been a year
or so since we determined it was not an option in our case but things
may have changed.  Here are my major sticking points that I need
suggestions on:

I need a satisfactory substitute for MS Office 2000, with Word, Excel,
Access and PowerPoint, full file compatibility and that inexperienced
users can easily adapt to.  In other words, it has to be really close
to the MS Office in both functionality and actual use.

I need a substitute for Outlook/Exchange.  It has to have calendering
and contacts as well as e-mail functionality, and has to have shared
calendars.  It would be okay if this were a web-based solution, a
Linux server for this is a no brainer.  Some of the forms routing an
collaboration in Outlook/Exchange would be great, but I think we can
work around not having those functions.

I need a GUI that is reminiscent of 95/98/NT/2K that won't confuse
users.  There seem to be a number of them out there and I'll probably
have to wade through a bunch.  A substitute for Windows Explorer
should be easy, but I can't be retraining users for what are natural
tasks to them now.

We have a million other little programs we deal with, and I think
Windows emulation will solve some of them, others we'll migrate to
Linux solutions. The biggies are the Office/Outlook/Exchange issues.

I still can't migrate most of my servers that rely on MS-SQL, but this
would allow me to move the Exchange server, as well as a few of the
file/print servers to Linux as well.  We already use Linux for
web/internet functions, but that's been about the only area we could
justify it.  I already will need to retrain admins, some of whom were
tough to train in NT/2000 in the first place.  :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jeff

------------------------------

From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:33:05 +0000

> How embarrassing?  Light is radio waves, too; yet as waves, some
> frequencies travel slower than others.

That's only true when light or any other em travels through a physical
medium.   In a vacuum (which is how this whole conversation started) all
em waves travel at the same speed.

> I would have thought that people on technical newsgroups, even advocacy
> groups, would be aware of the duality of physics, and not waste time
> quibbling about these things as if Usenet discussion will prove
> conclusively something that all the great physicists in the world cannot
> yet sort out.

I'm well aware of the duality of physics.   I've gotten the impression
that GreyCloud may not be since he seems to want to treat radio em as
waves and visible light as particles when, in fact, they are both.  He
has said on a number of occasions now that light is not em. Pretty basic
physics to be disputing while providing no evidence.   The only thing he
has done so far is quote some unnamed source inside some secret DoD
department.  That's not science. Science requires openess and peer review.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RIP the Linux desktop
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 20:38:43 GMT

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/3387/1/

What's this! What's this!

"OK, it's official: Linux on the desktop is dead."

But it never even started! Giving up before even trying!

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Advocacy - Wintroll Mission
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 20:40:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> Thanks for comming clean Wintroll.

8)

Try reading my post Charlie.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 20:40:46 GMT

In article <9e9kuv$7ak$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> Whats even worse, when someone tries to help him (Pete), For exampe, I tried
> to find out why anti-aliasing wasn't working on his (Pete's) PeeCee, he
> totally ignores any follow up posts as it could actually fix the problem.
> Funny enough, anti-aliasing worked straight out of the box for me, why not
> for Pete? or does he (Pete) have a voodoo computer?

I never saw those follow up posts.

--
Pete