From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers.
Date: 25 May 2000 00:29:27 -0500

In article <VN1X4.45$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Bloody Viking  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>: That's known as ghostscript, and is probably included with your
>: Linux distribution.  RedHat gives you a nice fill-out-the-form
>: setup.  With other systems you may have to glue the filter
>: commands into the printcap file yourself.
>
>Can you use Ghostscript from the command line? (provided of course you
>have a Poscript file to print) I never tried Ghostscript as so far I never
>had to print a Postscript file.

Yes, if you use the -sDEVICE=printertype option, but normally the
invocation would be done by a filter in the lpr setup, probably
after auto-detecting the input data type so you don't have to muck
with it by hand.  You should just be able to print directly from
Netscape and similar programs that output postscript and the filter
should detect it and do the necessary conversions.  Redhat has
their own version but I think there is one called magicfilter
and maybe a few others.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Phipps)
Subject: Re: how to configure corel linux boot to GUI?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 05:31:12 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[sniped]

>>>this read that read everything to accomplish which would normally be
>>>an easy task.
>>
>>      This is rather Odd considering that you would have to go
>>      through the same sort of process to do the same sort of
>>      thing under WinDOS.
>
>Nope.. Plugin the card and fire up the diskette that came with it.
>Chances are 99.9999 percent it will work under WIndows/Dos. Linux?
>Good luck....
>
>Don't see Linux mentioned on the outside of the box do you?

actualy it's more like 50% ... and then theres the problem if
changed Cd-roms on a prioity{sp?} system and a the original
floppy doesn't suport the cd-rom that you hafta use for installing
windows{thank you for red hat then} I"ve actualy had more luck
with linux finding cd-roms then any windows system I"ve seen to
date...

and as for seeing linux on the box ... *picks up a random
hardware box sitting around the house* ahh a D-link DFE-530TX+
Nic listed in the comes compleate with list
1 10/100 PCI NIC
1 Wake-on-lan Cable {optional}
1 Driver Disk for Windows 3.11/95/98/NT3.51/NT4/DOS
  Packet Driver, Netware, NDIS, ODI
  _Linux_, and more!

and don't spot off that the card might say linux but it probley
doesn't actualy work in linux ... I"m using it right now
to connect to the internet {in linux sence it's the
only Operating system in my house now}

WhyteWolf

------------------------------

From: "Bob May" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.lang.basic,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: QB 4.5 in Win 2000
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:33:03 -0700

Roger,
>>Crashing daily.
>Not a bug, since it does not generically do so.  Must have been
>something in the environment.
Let me tell you about bugs in Win95 code!  How does going through a
computer and replacing parts until the problem stops sound to you?
The computer that I am typing this on has had every part changed with
different parts (including types) except for the monitor (running in
standard 640x480 VGA mode) and Win95 code!  I still get the computer
to just hang so solidly that the only thing that cures the problem is
a cold boot with either of the big red controls.  I have found over
time that sometimes the computer gives a slight warning in that it
suddenly decides that some program (not anything in the foreground but
something in the systray) will decide to access someplace that it's
not supposed to be at and I will have to close the program (which
oftentimes doesn't happen properly).  At that time, I have an unknown
amount of time before the computer crashes totally.  I don't always
get the warning so there are probably different mechanisms for the
crashing (what else is new) which act differently.  Sometimes the
mouse moves and sometimes it doesn't and what is more interesting is
that when the mouse moves, I can move to an area where it stops moving
for a while.  If you have a computer that never crashes then treasure
it as a lot of the computers with win9x die reliably in time, some
more than others.  I feel lucky that I haven't had a crash in the last
week and a half.  For reference, at one point in time I could turn the
computer on and see a crash about 5 minutes later.

--
Bob May

Don't subscribe to ACCESS1 for your webserver for the low prices.  The
service has
been lousy and has been poor for the last year.  Bob May

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Installing Linux Mandrake 7.0
Date: 25 May 2000 05:36:30 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Who needs nasty sound anyway. You are running Linux, the premier
> operating system. Sound is so far below your intellect level.

> Who needs nasty printing anyway. You are running Linux, the premier
> operating system. Printing is so far below your intellect level
> anyhow.

> Who needs nasty networking anyway. You are running Linux, the premier
> operating system. Networking is so far below your intellect level.

> Who needs good looking fonts anyway. You are running Linux, the
> premier operating system. Good looking fonts are so far below your
> intellect level. You mean you don't run green screen?

I am running linux, an operating system that a child can understand.
Comprehension is so far below your intellectual level.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Linux will never progress beyond geekdome
Date: 25 May 2000 05:38:53 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Linux will be dead in 2 years unless it does something dramatic, and
> that is highly unlikely.

Interesting to note that linux has been doing just fine for a number
of years without commercial success until recently.

Linux will continue to exist whether the market likes it or not,
quite literally.

> I mean they can't even give the garbage away...

This is clearly not the case.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Phipps)
Subject: Re: Linux good choice for home desktop.
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 05:43:10 GMT

In article <hJVW4.38357$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Frank Rizzo wrote:

[sniped empty space between Frank Rizzo's ears]

>Psych!

linux isn't a good os for the desktop *yet*
but it will be ... it just needs the people that
program decent software to set standards
for a desktop ...

I do use it as my personal desktop because I got
sick of finding the programs I like didn't like
windows ... and ushaly caused BSoDs or 50GPF's a
second .. I"ve seen GPFs get rid of everything but
mIRC  ... exiting mIRC rebooted the computer ...
now what kind of cheap ass shit was that?
at least I know if I close BitchX it's not going
to reboot my Linux box ...

WhyteWolf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Phipps)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 05:44:39 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Sure it is, if you are a programmer geek. If you are normal, Linux is
>worst choice you could possibly make for a desktop system.

works for me better then windows ever did ...
{and I don't program}

>I'd rather run a Commodore-64

then please do and shut up

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 25 May 2000 00:46:28 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>NetGear network configured but does not work. Works on Windows 98 SE.

NetGear has changed their chip since the Mandrake tulip driver
was done.  They do have a Linux driver you can download from
their web site.  I'm not sure if RedHat 6.2 has the new one
or not - my NetGears are all the old versions with the original
DEC chips.

>Fonts look terrible (but they always did on X - where's font anti
>aliasing?)

Are you running the highest video resolution you can and using
scaled outline fonts?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 00:50:51 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Full Name)
spake unto us, saying:

>Any serious administrator who reads this thread would have to discard
>Linux as a bad joke.

Anyone making a decision about Linux based solely on the contents of a
public Usenet conversation is probably not a loss to the community.

He's probably a detriment to his employer, though.  :-)

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Advocacy or Mental Illness ?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 05:57:02 GMT

On Thu, 25 May 2000 04:32:37 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 May 2000 03:30:09 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 25 May 2000 02:28:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>>It's amazing how twisted the folks around here are. Linux is a stone
>>>age system that quite frankly the public at large, at least in the
>>>USA, has ignored and continues to ignore.
>>
>>      That's rather perverse considering the one that has the
>>      CP/M & DOS heritage. There's nothing 'stone age' about
>>      Unix except for the fact that Win/DOS was in the stone
>>      age when Unix was running on hardware comparable to
>>      current machines.
>

>And DOS advanced and UNIX stayed put right in the stone age where it
>belongs. Oh yea BTW Linux is NOT Unix. Linux is Linux and it sucks.

        The 'stone age' where it was multi-tasking, mult-user,
        robust and 32bit. Today's PC buzzwords, those things that
        you think are so 'new' are just ancient history for Unix,
        or VMS, or MVS or any other serious workhorse OS.

>Don't try and compare it to REAL Unix, please.

        You aren't possesed of sufficient details to support that
        'comparison'.

>>>Think about it. Person goes into CompUSA with $100 and is confronted
>>>with Windows for $89.00 and Linux for $29.00 or better yet for free.
>>>Yet they go for Windows every time based on market share.
>>>
>>>They can't even GIVE LINUX AWAY!!!!
>>
>>      Those that track such numbers seem to think that Linux
>>      is doing quite well for itself in terms of sales.
>
>Sure they do. When they sell 10 copies of Linux in April and 20 copies
>in May you have a 100 percent increse. Get real already. Linux has not
>even made a chink in Windows armour.
>

>>[deletia]
>>
>>      How far into the 21st century will it be before DOS is finally
>>      killed off once and for all?
>

>Can't tell you. I don't run DOS. But Linux will be dead in 2 years or
>so. Unix will survive, but Linux will be dead.

        If you run consumer Windows, you ultimately still run DOS.

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux
Date: 25 May 2000 00:55:55 -0500

In article <8gh2c1$jqb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Fisher  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have been following this thread with some interest.  We are an all
>Microsoft shop.  We run NT servers for file and print sharing services,
>dhcp, and the ususal server duties, Exchange for email, IIS for web
>serving, SMS for inventory control/administrative duties.  Our clients
>run Win98SE.  We have had problems on the client side with 98SE with
>stability and quirks.  However, we have had nothing but rock solid
>performance from the NT servers.

You must have started later than sp3, then.

>I make these decisions, I think, in a sane and fair way.  We have a lot
>invested in our system and more importantly, our system works for us.
>I probably would never have posted here, except for the venom that was
>being spewed toward the heretic who wasn't embracing Linux.

Are you interested in how much your existing system follows
standards, or in knowing how much you are locked into using
everything from a single vendor?

>I'm happy to agree to disagree - just lose the anger toward Windows
>users, please.  What we do is not brain surgery.  Nobody dies.  All I'm
>saying is put some perspective on this.  It's not worth the anger.

It shouldn't be an all or nothing choice - networks are to make
systems interoperate.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 05:58:59 GMT

On Thu, 25 May 2000 04:34:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Fucking idiot. The guy's printer works under the most popular OS on

        So? Now are we, members of a free market, to only restrict
        ourselves to a singlular choice now as if we were captives
        in some Stalinesque regime?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 06:00:04 GMT

On Thu, 25 May 2000 04:37:28 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Thu, 25 May 2000 00:04:27 -0400, "Rich C"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>> And if it's not documented you are screwed...Typical Linoshit..Read
>>> this read that read everything to accomplish which would normally be
>>> an easy task.
>>>
>>> Linux is a waste of time.
>>>
>>Oh, and your presence in this ng isn't a waste of time? (yours AND ours.)
>>
>>If YOU spent half as much time learning Linux as you spend trashing it in
>>this ng, you would have a smooth running, highly tweaked system that would
>>be the envy of most Linux users; you would be praising Linux for the stable,
>>efficient, technically superior operating system that it is; and, best of
>>all, people would actually RESPECT your opinions.
>
>For what? To run half assed applications that are not even close to
>their WIndows counterparts? I think not....

        They are convincing enough in terms of output to fool the likes
        of you and that's all that really matters in the end.

[deletia]

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 06:00:00 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson) writes:

' >What do you do when two packages claim ownership of the same file?
'
' The only way you get this, is if you forced the install of one of the
' packages over the complaints of rpm. Do you meant what happens when two or
' more packages rely on a given file? if so, that's a different issue.

Yes, that is what I mean.  Perhaps that is not a problem?

<headers trimmed a bit>

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

All bits are significant.  Some bits are more significant than others.
        -- Charles Babbage Orwell

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 06:00:01 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) writes:

' >That's a good point.  But what is the value in real forking?  Do you
' >really want to have ten different major versions of GTK+ floating
' >around?  Or even two?  If an application says it uses GTK+ ver x.y,
'
'       YES.
'
'       It allows for other platforms to be supported.

I failed to consider that point.  Porting to other platforms,
maintaining abandoned code, etc, are all good reasons to be able to
fork.  At least the KDE Free Qt project has dealt with failure to
maintain the code.

<headers trimmed>

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

All bits are significant.  Some bits are more significant than others.
        -- Charles Babbage Orwell

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 06:00:01 GMT

Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

' I ask for someone to defend this ability when it comes to BSD-style
' licenses while at the same time railing AGAINST the practices of
' M$ in a similar manner.  They are doing what a BSD license permits.
' They make a practice of code forking to force users to use THEIR
' solutions rather than a competitors...but in the BSD license world
' this would be a good thing, fully supported by "the community"?

Double think has never worked well for me ;-)

This is why I prefer LGPL over BSD.  If I use BSD code, then I would
make my derivative work LGPL ( or GPL ), as that is legal, so that
changes to my fork are covered by LGPL ( or GPL ) and I can make use
of them.

<headers trimmed>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 06:02:59 GMT

On Thu, 25 May 2000 04:36:03 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Thu, 25 May 2000 03:33:34 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 25 May 2000 02:32:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>>And if it's not documented you are screwed...Typical Linoshit..Read
>>
>>      That's true of things in general. My peeve for the week
>>      is the ICL file format.
>
>I don't know what ICl is so I can't comment.
>
>>>this read that read everything to accomplish which would normally be
>>>an easy task.
>>
>>      This is rather Odd considering that you would have to go
>>      through the same sort of process to do the same sort of
>>      thing under WinDOS.
>
>Nope.. Plugin the card and fire up the diskette that came with it.

        No, you moron. That is not what is under discussion here.

>Chances are 99.9999 percent it will work under WIndows/Dos. Linux?
>Good luck....

        Actually, most of the major manufacturers claim support these
        days. This includes 3dfx, Matrox and Nvidia as well as S3 and
        ATI. So your information is a tad outdated.

>Don't see Linux mentioned on the outside of the box do you?

        Actually, I see Linux mentioned at 3dfx.com, nvidia.com,
        matrox.com,aureal.com,creative.com,3com.com,hauppauge.com,
        linksys.com,tekram.com as well as others.

[deletia]

        Being restricted to the 'printed material' is so 19th century...