Linux-Advocacy Digest #684, Volume #26           Thu, 25 May 00 11:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Installing Linux Mandrake 7.0 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Can/ When Will Linux Run on Hand Helds? (Krist van Besien)
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Linux good choice for home desktop. (Dave Rolfe)
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? (Chris Wenham)
  Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Windows by Day, Linux by Night ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software (Chris Wenham)
  Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers. ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software (Chris Wenham)
  Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux (Leslie Mikesell)
  Linux ("Sandi Taylor")
  Linux, Is it good? ("Sandi Taylor")
  Who is Linux hurting the most ("Sandi Taylor")
  A new way to look at Linux ("Sandi Taylor")
  You have never seen Linux like this ("Sandi Taylor")
  Re: Can/ When Will Linux Run on Hand Helds? ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: You have never seen Linux like this (Tim Kelley)

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:11:34 -0400

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> "Colin R. Day" wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > > Never mind it IS free of charge on the internet. If you look at the
> > > Redhat page, you will notice that you can download the current version
> > > of Redhat for FREE, BUT, you do NOT get the SUPPORT that comes with the
> > > version you can purchase. So, what you are buying is SUPPORT.
> >
> > True, there is that. But I need the need the CD's more than I need
> > the support.
>
> Burn your own!

a) I don't have a CD-writer.

b) I would still need to download the files to be burned onto
the CD in the first place.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Installing Linux Mandrake 7.0
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:12:35 GMT

They don't beleive you because they live in their own fantasy land and
any negative comment about Linux is not allowed.

------------------------------

From: Krist van Besien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can/ When Will Linux Run on Hand Helds?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:24:15 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a Windows CE hand held and wanted to know if Linux could be
> ported to them.

I think that www.LinuxCE.org might answer most of your questions.

Krist

--
UNIX was half a billion (500000000) seconds old on
Tue Nov  5 00:53:20 1985 GMT (measuring since the time(2) epoch).

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: 25 May 2000 14:12:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
:> And I'll tell you something else .. there is no regression suite for
:> the hardware they're driving either :-). Those chips change
:> arbitrarily, and break in new and interesting ways at every minor
:> redesign or component change.

: That's just another argument in favour of test suites, then. That way,
: when the hardware changes, you can identify the change with the test
: suite, instead of wondering whether it was your latest change that broke
: the code.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't know even with the test suite. Was it you?
Was it the rest of the kernel? Was it a bad chip? Is it a bad batch of
chips? Will it change back again next week? Was it the mobo? Was it
a timing problem (that's happened several times, when the kernel
has changed the definition of "nano_delay()"). Is it that the change
has broken the test suite? Not the driver?

You cannot control the variables as you would like.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Dave Rolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux good choice for home desktop.
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:15:04 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Frank Rizzo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote on Wed, 24 May 2000 19:04:45 GMT
> <hJVW4.38357$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> [snip]
>
> It depends on the user.
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here

I agree! I know some folks that think windoze is impossibly difficult to
use. My suspicion is that about 15% of computers in homes just sit there
being unused because the owner cannot figure out how to do anything with
the machine.
And of course, I know folks who have 3 or 4 operating systems installed.
But, I do think that linux is getting very close to being in the ball
park for many users. The install procedure and customization stuff is
still a tad difficult ... but how many folks actually install windows?
If you bought a machine set up as mine is now, I think you could use it
without much trouble.
For myself, the "killer app" was lyx! From time to time I write some
technical stuff, and nothing I know of comes close to what lyx can do.
But that is me.

Dave

Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
From: Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:20:01 GMT

Illya Vaes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Chris Wenham wrote:
>
> >If you strike them down they will become more powerful than you can
> >possibly imagine.
>
> "The Force" is something coming from the imagination of George Lucas, it's of
> no use to MS (and BTW, it was used to be able to talke about "good" and "bad"
> in an interesting way; guess which side of The Force would be...).

 Let me guess, Bill Joy is Luke Skywalker?

Regards,

Chris Wenham

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:20:08 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Fucking idiot. The guy's printer works under the most popular OS on
> the planet, you expect it to work under a ner-do-well piece of shit OS
> like Linux?

        Troll.

--
Da Katt
[This space for rent]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Windows by Day, Linux by Night
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:21:39 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Espen) writes:

> I am still working on my book: "101 Pasta Recipes for Linux Users Who
> Have to Make Their Own Dinner at Night".  I am posting this in the
> Linux Advocacy groups cause it's aimed at Linux users who are forced
> to cook for themselves.  I'll announce when the book is done and the
> first 1000 people to try one of my recipes will get a great meal.

        Nice one, but I think your satire is lost on them.

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:26:22 -0400

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >         The result was that not only was Germany divided by its
> > conquerors, those conquerors then created regimes in their likenesses --
> > and even annexed the far eastern parts of Germany. Adolf Hitler's bunker
> > suicide could well have been a merciful act for him.
> >
> >         These misjudgments started in the summer of 1941, when Hitler got
> > involved in Yugoslavia out of pique that some of his friends there were
> > losing out. This cost the invasion of the USSR 6 weeks of time, which
> > made it that much closer in time to the cold Russian winters. If Hitler
> > had controlled himself about Yugoslavia, he could have had much more
> > success conquering the USSR.
> >
> >         Another misjudgment was his treatment of conquered western-USSR
> > areas. His armies had invaded under the slogan of "Liberation from
> > Bolshevism", but they acted like anything but liberators. If they did,
> > then his armies would have had a much easier time conquering the USSR.
> >
> >         But before then, Hitler's career was a masterpiece of deceptive
> > politics, in which he was more than willing to throw his former allies to
> > the wolves. In the early days, the Nazi party had some genuine
> > anti-capitalists like Gottfried Feder, opponent of "interest slavery",
> > and also some organizations of homosexual men. As he rose to power,
> > however, Hitler started making friends with the bankers, and afterwards,
> > he declared homosexuals to be "gender traitors". Likewise, he also turned
> > on the old Nazi militia, the SA, when it became expedient to do so.
> >
> >         He got to power by persuading some old-line bring-back-old-Prussia
> > conservatives that he would maintain order and put the Commies in their
> > place, but when he took over, those conservatives lamely put their
> > (metaphorical) tails between their legs and quit politics.
> >
> >         In the mid-1930's, he made an alliance with the leaders of Italy
> > and Japan which he called the "anti-Comintern pact", but when he made his
> > nonagression deal with Stalin, he said that this was just to "frighten
> > the British bankers". That deal followed the infamous appeasement episode
> > over Czechoslovakia, which had a very interesting feature: the USSR had
> > been left out of the deal, as if Hitler's appeasers had been hoping that
> > Hitler would attack the USSR.
> >
> >         After that nonaggression pact, Hitler attacked his appeasers,
> > showing remarkably little gratitude. His relationship with Stalin was not
> > the happiest of ones, with Hitler calling Stalin a "cold-blooded
> > blackmailer" in a dispute over zones of influence, but Stalin had a
> > curious trust of him, dismantling some fortifications and not bothering to
> > march on Berlin when Hitler's troops were occupied to the west. This trust
> > cost Stalin dearly, and he had supposedly had a nervous breakdown when
> > Hitler's forces invaded the USSR.
> >
> >         I'm sure that some will call this an example of Godwin's Law, but
>
> SCREW GODWIN, his declaration is sheer idiocy.
>
> Anybody who claims that a discussion of historical examples is

Well said, Aaron.

Colin Day

comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software
From: Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:32:38 GMT

Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What I found particularly strange is how you refer to the fixpack process as
> awkward and annoying.  Have you done an RSU installation?  That's the
> smoothest type of system update I've ever seen in my life.  You browse on over
> to IBM's site, find the fixpack, click on it, walk away, and a few minutes
> later, your system is up to date.  "(boggle!)"

 ...if the .rsu is not broken, if the FTP transfer doesn't fail on
 package 9 of "1 through F", if the FTP site is reachable, if the FTP
 site is doing better than .5k per sec, if RSUINST is the right
 version, if you have a copy of the right version of the Rexx FTP
 library installed, if you have enough disk space for the C:\BACKUP to
 hold the 20 megabytes of old files you need to store to fix the 100
 kilobyte bug you only need to have patched, if you have two hours to
 wait for 95% of the same code you've already downloaded and installed
 in last quarter's fixpack, if you can remember which funny-named
 directory on your hard drive has the Rexx script you run from the
 command line to resume downloading because it's faster than going
 through the web based system that re-downloads the same "kicker" file
 each time, then yes, RSU is very smooth.

 But I wish there was a more granular update mechanism.

Regards,

Chris Wenham

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:34:55 -0400

Bloody Viking wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : That's known as ghostscript, and is probably included with your
> : Linux distribution.  RedHat gives you a nice fill-out-the-form
> : setup.  With other systems you may have to glue the filter
> : commands into the printcap file yourself.
>
> Can you use Ghostscript from the command line? (provided of course you
> have a Poscript file to print) I never tried Ghostscript as so far I never
> had to print a Postscript file.

You can invoke ghostview, gv file.ps, (assuming that you have a postscript
file)
and print from there.

From: Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:36:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> To *get* the damned fixpack you've got to get to IBM's WWW site.  To
> get there, you need a modern browser, because I had horrendous errors
> and "Type .NSF isn't known; save to disk?" errors when I tried with
> WebExplorer 1.2 (which IBM includes).  However, to get that modern
> browser (Netscape 4.61, which I could navigate to on IBM's WWW site,
> after 5 minutes of searching - grumble) you need FixPack 5.  However,
> to get FixPack 5, you need to be able to navigate on IBM's WWW site.

 I wouldn't fault them for requiring a modern browser. The mechanism
 needs features that aren't in first generation products.

 This is only a secondary method. The primary (diskette based) method
 works fine. Or at least it did in the old Warp 3 days when Fixpack 5
 only used five floppies. And two kicker disks :-)

Regards,

Chris Wenham

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 25 May 2000 09:38:44 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Colin R. Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > True, there is that. But I need the need the CD's more than I need
>> > the support.
>>
>> Burn your own!
>
>a) I don't have a CD-writer.
>
>b) I would still need to download the files to be burned onto
>the CD in the first place.

There are any number of places selling the cheap knock-off CD's
if you don't want support or the commercial demos that come
on the official versions.  A Mandrake 7.0 disk is included
with a magazine that should still be available.

From: "Sandi Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:41:17 GMT

I am looking for Linux programmers.  If anyone can help locate some that
would be great let me know.

Thanks,

Stephen Barton
Xpedition Company, L.P.
512-327-9172
888-842-9172
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax 512-327-1725

------------------------------

From: "Sandi Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux, Is it good?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:43:24 GMT

I am looking for Linux programmers.  We will pay $1000 referral fees if we
hire any person you refer to us.  Let me know.

Thanks,

Stephen Barton
Xpedition Company, L.P.
512-327-9172
888-842-9172
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax 512-327-1725

------------------------------

From: "Sandi Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Who is Linux hurting the most
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:44:37 GMT

I am looking for Linux programmers.  I will pay $1000 referral fees for
anybody you refer and we hire them.

Thanks,

Stephen Barton
Xpedition Company, L.P.
512-327-9172
888-842-9172
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax 512-327-1725

------------------------------

From: "Sandi Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A new way to look at Linux
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:45:48 GMT

I am looking for Linux programmers.  I will pay $1000 referral fees for
anybody referred that gets hired.

Thanks,

Stephen Barton
Xpedition Company, L.P.
512-327-9172
888-842-9172
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax 512-327-1725

------------------------------

From: "Sandi Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: You have never seen Linux like this
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:46:45 GMT

I am looking for Linux programmers.  I will pay $1000 referral fees for
anyone referred that gets hired.

Thanks,

Stephen Barton
Xpedition Company, L.P.
512-327-9172
888-842-9172
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax 512-327-1725

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:47:27 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a Windows CE hand held and wanted to know if Linux could be
> ported to them, such as on a 32 MG flash card, and then have it dual
> boot with CE and Linux.  I know it depends on the processor (mine is a
> Hitachi SH3 7709 100 MHz.), but it was so stupid or deliberate for
> Microsoft to not put a command prompt (at least an early version of
> DOS) so that you could Telnet or FTP or even run a C complier).
> Microsoft recently released some Networking Utilites (nslookup, ping),
> but Linux would be great.  I heard Compaq is making something, though
> it looks very propriatary; what we need is Linux on an HP Jornada, LG
> Phenom, or whatever.  Is anyone doing a porting Linux project or beta
> test on this?

Linux has been ported to Palm Pilots. see www.uclinux.org

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You have never seen Linux like this
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:59:50 -0500

Sandi Taylor wrote:

> I am looking for Linux programmers.  I will pay $1000 referral fees for
> anyone referred that gets hired.

you're not going to reach any linux programmers by getting into
their killfiles ... which you've just done.

--

Tim Kelley