From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:04:47 -0400

Joe Ragosta wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
>
> > Said Joe Ragosta in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> > >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >    [...]
> > >
> > >Lots of things. Lack of discipline. Lack of expectations. Lack of parent
> > >involvement. And so on.
> >
> > And how do you personally expect to tackle these 'problems' without
> > paying someone to deal with them?
>
> Yet another stupid T. Max non-sequitor.
>
> More money doesn't make those problems go away. Period.
>

> > >Some very, very poor kids in some very, very poor school districts do
> > >very well. And some very rich kids in expensive private schools do
> > >poorly.
> > >
> > >Money isn't always the answer.
> >
> > Money isn't ever the answer.  Education is always the answer, or at
> > least the best one we've got.  But education costs money.  Fascism, in
>
> True.
>
> But what makes you think that more money equals better education? That's
> what this discussion was about before you started polluting it.
>
> > the end, is much cheaper, which is why we see people like you and Aaron
>
> I see you still haven't learned how to read.
>
> Where have I ever favored any fascist attitudes?
>
> > Kulkis spewing this kind of regressive bullshit.  It is opportunity, not
>
> And where have I ever favored a regressive fund raising scheme? The
> scheme I favor is very progressive.
>
> But that won't stop you from spreading lies, I guess.
>
> > "discipline" or "expectations", which spur learning.
>
> I see. And how does throwing more money at the problem fix that?
>
> And you're wrong, anyway. There are plenty of studies that show that
> students learn better when expectations are high and discipline is
> maintained.
>
> But that doesn't fit your Robin Hood attitude.

Actually, Robin Hood stole from the TAX COLLECTORS and ***RETURNED***
the taxes to the people.

It's just like the Democrats to try to twist it into a class-envy story.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: 27 Aug 2000 19:11:59 GMT

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:54:59 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

>> I'd argue that the inclusiveness of both America and its education system
>> makes it look considerably worse than it really is. I'd conjecture that
>> if you were to take two children of *equal ability* and put one through
>> Japan's system and one through America's, there wouldn't be a substantial
>> difference in the end result.
>
>So, you are saying that the typical Japanese student is of
>higher ability than the typical American student...

If you're asking if the American kid doesn't perform as well on
international tests by the time they enter high school, my answer
is "yes". The American kids are already behind at this stage.

If you're asking if American kids are less "intelligent" than Japanese
kids, well I refer you to your bible (1)

>> The problem with these arguments that America's high schools are "poor
>> performers" is that by way of either deceit or ignorance, they misapply
>> statistics that do not in anyway control for the ability of incoming
>> students.
>
>If American high schools are doing such a good job, then why have
>American universities found it necessary to put larger and larger
>percentage of incoming freshman (AMERICAN CITIZENS, not foreign
>exchange students) through remedial english classes.

Your attempt at a counterargument here is both illogical and irrelevant.
The reason why is conjecturaly that American kids are behind by the time
they enter high school. It is certainly foolish to assume that they are
*not* behind at this stage. And that means that you have to control for
the ability of incoming students to get meaningful statistics.

>In fact, why is it RARE to find foreign-born students in collegiate
>remedial english classes?

Immigrants are self-selected. They are not a representative of those who
reside in their country of origin.

(1)     H&M argue that East Asians ( meaning Japanese and Chinese IIRC ) are
more intelligent ( in terms of median population IQ ) than anglo-saxon
whites. I don't recall seeing their estimate if any of the American population
median, but it's certainly true that America has large numbers of ethnic
minorities that have ( according to H&M ) a substantially lower population
median IQ. These minorities would no doubt shift the median somewhat, though
probably by only a few points. Note that H&M argue that while on an
individual basis, a difference of 3 IQ points is negligeable, two populations
that uniformly differ by the same margin will be very different.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:14:53 -0400

Said Joe Ragosta in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   [...]
>Then you need help. He's a real person -- even if you don't know his
>real name.

As much as you wish to insist that there is a real person behind the
pseudonym, you're just playing with amphiboly.

http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/amphib.htm

Or maybe I am.  Either way, "JS/PL is not a real person" is an accurate
and consistent (if ambiguous) statement, and further provides a
practical answer to whether or not I ever threatened the life of
whatever fellow's been posting here as "JS/PL".

   [...]
>> I'm afraid it does, as "JS/PL" trying to get me in trouble for speaking
>> honestly and without malice might well be considered harassment, and an
>> attempt to suppress free speech.
>
>Just as your telling him that you are going to kill him might well be
>considered a threat.

I never told anyone that I was going to kill anyone.  Check your quotes.
To save others the bother, I'll point out that said "I want to kill
JS/PL."

>He was justified in his action. If you feel that you've been harrassed,
>feel free to take action.

He was not justified in his actions, and whether or not I plan to take
action, I've always been aware that I am free to do so.  I've pointed
out that if I do choose to do so, I won't be wasting time posting to
Usenet about it.  I'll go further to remind you (and readers) that you
aren't a lawyer, and your assessment of whether anyone is justified in
his actions is not only irrelevant but is dubious in terms of guiding
wisdom.

  -- Such is my recollection of my reconstruction
   of events at the time, as I recall.  Consider it.
       Research assistance gladly accepted.  --

From: ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 19:14:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, bobh{at}haucks{dot}org
wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:04:00 -0400, JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> So...then, your idea is...
> >>
> >> Expand the number of ICBM's in the American arsenal, AND
> >> build large numbers of decoys, and blast China to hell if
> >> they launch even one missile.
>
> I think that is basically the current policy, isn't it, minus the
> decoys?  Anyway, Aaron, the only reason I saw this is because JS/PL
> replied and quoted it.  You are in my kill file.
>

> >Now if there was a way to stop missiles immediately after launch.....
>
> Yes, IF there were a way, that would be really cool.  A lot of other
> things would be really cool IF there were a way to do them.  I think
> non-technological solutions (i.e. arms reduction and a posture of
> reduced readiness to launch on all sides) are both less costly and more
> likely to actually work than SDI.

The Russians have proposed a joint ship-based system to intercept
missiles immediately after launch (before they leave the atmosphere). It
would be dramatically cheaper and more realistic.

The US won't hear of it, of course, because this SDI thing is really
just an excuse to give billions to dollars to the defense contractors
for the next few decades. A system that was cheap and could actually be
built in a reasonable period of time wouldn't allow for that.

--
This universe shipped by weight, not volume.  Some expansion may have
occurred during shipment.

ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | <http://znu.dhs.org>

------------------------------

From: Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 19:19:38 GMT

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> >The fact that we have so many "high school graduates" who cannot
> >even read, let alone solve simple algebra problems, nor correctly
> >identify "New Mexico" as being one of the 50 States of the United
> >States of America.
>
> The fact that some exist doesn't prove very much in itself.

The fact that _anyone_ can graduate from High School without basic skills like
reading shows that there's a serious problem.

> Japan don't have any minorities, due to their policy of racial exclusivism.
> Do you think that America's minorities would do substantially better if
> you just moved them to Japan ?

Japan also damn near drives their students insane with the pressure to succeed
at any cost.  Kids at the start of their school career already feel like
they've failed and won't get into a good college if they have one bad class.

--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc. - http://miguelito.org
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:18:27 -0400

> Said Joe Ragosta in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >>    [...]
> >>
> >> Yes, I'm afraid it would.  Certainly to the extent that you indicate.
> >> Every citizen has the right to have children if they desire, and a
> >> society which prevents them from doing so economically is no less
> >> unsatisfactory than one that does so through any other means.

You cannot economically prevent people from having kids. They are free to
have as many kids as they like, the fact that society doesn't feed their
existing kids doesn't stop anyone from having more (until being put in jail
when the kids start dying of starvation). How is your warped view of society
economically preventing anything?

> >So, IOW, the concept of personal responsibility means nothing to you.
>
> That depends on which concept of personal responsibility you are
> referring to.

How can you possibly argue on personal responsibility when you pretend not
to know or in fact do not know the meaning of it?
You have no clue about personal responsibility, you show that loud and clear
with each of your posts.

------------------------------

From: Eric Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:27:15 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chad
Irby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> bobh{at}haucks{dot}org wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:33:45 GMT, Chad Irby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >"First-world" nations have nuclear submarines that work, and don't
> > >screw
> > >around for a week before asking for help in rescuing the crew.
> >
> > The US has lost two nuclear subs over the years.  I don't know how long
> > they "screwed around" though.
>
> For the ten to twelve seconds that it took for the crews of those subs
> to die horribly?

Which is apparently what happened here?

--
Eric Bennett ( http://www.pobox.com/~ericb/ )
Cornell University / Chemistry & Chemical Biology

Anybody that wants the presidency so much that he'll spend two years organizing
and campaigning for it is not to be trusted with the office. -David Broder

------------------------------

From: Eric Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:30:25 -0400

> I don't believe you when you say that he says that, if that's what
> you're asking.  Adam Smith might be thought, in some ingenuous theory,
> to say that anti-trust laws are not necessary.  In that, alas, he was
> idealistic, if it is indeed the case.

Adam Smith didn't think antitrust laws were viable because he thought
that powerful monopolist lobbyists would be able to prevent any
government from ever enacting them.  Obviously he was wrong.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen S. Edwards II)
Subject: The Kulkis effect... (was Re: Just how dense is Aaron?)
Date: 27 Aug 2000 18:02:09 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Smith) wrote in
<8o5mng$4qi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Ed Cogburn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>> > My method is to keep the anti-Aaron trolling to a minimum by
>specifically
>> > naming them as trolls in my .sig.
>>

>> Where the hell are these "anti-Aaron" trolls Aaron?  Has ANYONE seen an
>> "anti-Aaron" troll in c.o.l.a.?  ANYONE?  ANYONE AT ALL?  No, Aaron, the
>> only "anti-Aaron" trolling is coming from people like me who are angry
>> and shocked by your behavior and attitude wrt your sig.  YOU ARE
>> *CREATING* "ANTI-AARON" TROLLS WITH YOUR SIG, NOT STOPPING THEM.  Are
>> you so dense, that you don't see that?
>
>Perhaps a more relevant question is how the fuck his .sig is supposed to
>stop the trolls _anyway_.

I don't think it's about stopping trolls at all.

You see, there are, and always have been since the dawn
of USENET, two schools of advocates.  The knowledgable
users who simply find their OS of choice to be a
fascinating environment to work with are merley
presenting their own viewpoints in matters that they
find are important, or that they seem to enjoy speaking
about.

All of the losers that are left over, who do not have
the intellectual capacity to discuss anything on a
useful level, use 'leetspeak, insults, and anti-whatever
baloney in order to compensate for their apparent lack
of an ability to have a coherent and logical discussion.

In short, Aaron is just another wannabe-techie, who is
trying to portray himself in a role in which he clearly
doesn't belong.
--
.-----.
|[_]  |  Stephen S. Edwards II | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount/
| =  :|  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|    -| "You are a waste of space; a disgrace to your profession;
|     |  both the one you claim and the kindergarten student you
|_..._|  act like..." -- Robert Moir to Aaron R. Kulkis in COMNA

------------------------------

From: Eric Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:35:54 -0400

> "See Rothery Storage & Van Co. v. Atlas Van Lines, Inc., 792 F.2d 210,
> 218 (D.C. Cir. 1986) ('Because the ability of consumers to turn to other
> suppliers restrains a firm from raising prices above the competitive
> level, the definition of the 'relevant market' rests on a determination
> of available substitutes.'). "
>
> Apple computers do not constitute an alternative supply of
> Intel-compatible PC operating systems.

Apple provides a different OS.  But there is a barrier to switching,
namely the cost of purchasing new hardware and software.  The question
is, does this barrier prevent so much switching that the barrier
effectively creates separate markets?  I'm not convinced that it does,
especially where corporate purchases are invovled.  Of course, even if
you include Apple in the relevant market, Microsoft still has market
share that leads directly to a conclusion of monopoly, so whether Apple
is included is irrelevant IMO.

> >If you're so inclined, you might check out U.S. v. DuPont (1956) for a
> >Supreme Court case that turned entirely on the definition of the
> >relevant market.  DuPont was sued for monopolization of the market for
> >cellophane.  DuPont argued this was not the relevant market, and they
> >won:
> >
> >http://caselaw.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=351&invol=377
>
> Yes, I've heard about the famous cellophane case, but only through
> popular wisdom.  Thanks for the source.  I'll be interested in reading
> the courts decision directly, as I can't see how cellophane ('round
> these parts, we just say "saran wrap") is not a market unto itself.

Then I assume you will side with the dissenting opinion, which does make
some excellent arguments.

From: Eric Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:37:19 -0400

> >How about if I draw a distinction between direct, intentional
> >maintenance through behaviors like dumping, vs. indirect maintenance
> >that comes about because of pro-competitive behavior, like providing
> >high-quality products.  Both of these result in the monopoly power being
> >preserved, and thus both can be described as "maintenace", but only the
> >former is illegal.
>
> You mean draw a distinction between, say, willful acquisition and
> maintenance of monopoly power, as distinguished from superior products,
> business acumen, or accident of history?

What I am saying is that under the popular (rather than legal)
definition of maintenance, the latter items also qualify as maintenance.

From: Eric Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:40:30 -0400

> >It forces the major candidates to fully justify all of their positions,
> >instead of just being able to ignore certain things because they assume
> >they have all the extremist voters locked up and don't need to defend
> >their moves toward the center.[...]
>
> I think you mean "locked out", not "locked up".

No, I meant locked up.  If Nader isn't around, Gore can be as
conservative as he wants, so long as he is less conservative than Bush,
and those at the extreme left will still have to vote for him over Bush.
With Nader around, that isn't the case, and Gore can't assume he's got
those people locked up.

From: Eric Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:43:40 -0400

> Said Joe Ragosta in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>    [...]
> >Actually, JS/PL's position would be that if Penn State didn't exist, the
> >private universities that would spring up would be less expensive and
> >better.
> >
> >I see libertarianism as a positive thing as long as it's a direction to
> >move from the current system. As soon as we got very close to the
> >Libertarian Manifesto, I'd be very concerned. But most of the time,
> >that's the direction we should be going.
> >
> >The trick is to know when to stop.    ;-)
>
> In general, I agree with your comments whole-heartedly.  As did Mark
> Twain, basically, when he wrote (paraphrased) "as soon as you find your
> opinion is that of the majority, its time to change your opinion".

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time
to reform (or pause and reflect)."

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Large disks still not supported on Linux?
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 19:43:45 GMT

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:17:40 +0200, RCS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I was wondering if the upcoming kernel 2.4 supports larger harddisks
>than previously?

I don't know what that means, given that ext2 can handle disks of
thousands of GB.  The 2.4 kernel in combination with an updated libc
will allow access to individual files > 2 GB as well.

> ( or maybe its lilo that needs to be updated for this?)

That makes more sense.  There is a problem with _booting_ from large
disks.  That is a BIOS issue, not an OS one, and the problem sizes
depend on the vintage of the BIOS in question.

There is a new version of LILO that supposedly can work around this,
and there are other boot loaders besides LILO.  GRUB claims to work
around the BIOS issues by using a multi-stage loader.

>As it is today, it is some hassle to install Windows and Linux on the
>same machine due to this.

It is some hassle to install any two operating systems on a PC.  This
isn't a Windows problem or a Linux problem, really.  It is a PC
architecture problem.  I've run into the same problems with NT when
putting large disks into older machines.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:40:48 -0400

> Said Joe Ragosta in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    [...]
> >Then you need help. He's a real person -- even if you don't know his
> >real name.
>
> As much as you wish to insist that there is a real person behind the
> pseudonym, you're just playing with amphiboly.
>
> http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/amphib.htm
>
> Or maybe I am.  Either way, "JS/PL is not a real person" is an accurate
> and consistent (if ambiguous) statement, and further provides a
> practical answer to whether or not I ever threatened the life of
> whatever fellow's been posting here as "JS/PL".
>
>    [...]
> >> I'm afraid it does, as "JS/PL" trying to get me in trouble for speaking
> >> honestly and without malice might well be considered harassment, and an
> >> attempt to suppress free speech.
> >
> >Just as your telling him that you are going to kill him might well be
> >considered a threat.
>
> I never told anyone that I was going to kill anyone.  Check your quotes.
> To save others the bother, I'll point out that said "I want to kill
> JS/PL."
>
> >He was justified in his action. If you feel that you've been harrassed,
> >feel free to take action.
>
> He was not justified in his actions, and whether or not I plan to take
> action, I've always been aware that I am free to do so.  I've pointed
> out that if I do choose to do so, I won't be wasting time posting to
> Usenet about it.  I'll go further to remind you (and readers) that you
> aren't a lawyer, and your assessment of whether anyone is justified in
> his actions is not only irrelevant but is dubious in terms of guiding
> wisdom.

How are you going to sue someone who according to you - isn't real?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: NETCRAFT: I'm confused
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 19:43:47 GMT

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:53:34 +0200, Nico Coetzee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Every now and then some M$ preacher refers to netcraft for this or that
>stat.

They seem to be about the only ones that have reliable data that you
don't have to pay big bucks for.

>Well, am I the only one that find it strange that Apache is the
>only platform currently with a obvious positive trendline?

No, not really.  Apache is winning big among ISP's for web hosting,
where it's excellent virtual-hosting capabilities, customizability, and
attractive licensing are important.  It is also the default choice if
you run your site on commercial Unix.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking