Linux-Advocacy Digest #684, Volume #32            Wed, 7 Mar 01 05:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Computing Power to Peak SOON! (WAS: Moore's Law, continued...) (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Computing Power to Peak SOON! (WAS: Moore's Law, continued...) (Bloody Viking)
  Re: What does IQ measure? (Ian Davey)
  Re: The Double Fucking ala MS... (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Time for a Windows reinstall! (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Time for a Windows reinstall! (Bloody Viking)
  Re: MS Price Strategy  (was Microsoft Tax) (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Computing Power to Peak SOON! (WAS: Moore's Law, continued...) ("David Brown")
  Re: Mircosoft Tax (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Windows Owns Desktop, Extends Lead in Server Market ("Lorenzo Malaguti")
  Another great thing about Linux ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: I am looking for a newsreader ("Edward Rosten")
  Sun Blade 100 ("GreyCloud")
  Re: GPL Like patents. (Paul Colquhoun)
  Re: Mircosoft Tax (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/ ("GreyCloud")
  Re: Something Seemingly Simple. ("GreyCloud")
  Re: Mircosoft Tax ("David Brown")
  Re: Mircosoft Tax ("David Brown")
  Re: NT vs *nix performance ("GreyCloud")
  Re: Mircosoft Tax (Bloody Viking)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.microsoft.sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Computing Power to Peak SOON! (WAS: Moore's Law, continued...)
Date: 7 Mar 2001 08:29:02 GMT

dabean ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: And at that point some very interesting non main stream concepts such as
: lets see.

: SMT (Simultaneous Multi Threading) be used in future versions of the Alpha
: processor. In simple terms its the of making one processor look like several
: software applications. I can't be bothered to explain it further as
: http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/smt/index.html does a far better job
: then i ever could.

: multiple cores on a die. Adopted by IBM for POWER4 and Sun Microsystems for
: its MAJC processor

A fun problem with all these ideas that are apart from brute force cooling is
that EVERY bit (let alone byte) of old software goes out the window. Including
Window. All those superchips will be in servers running a port of Linux and
desktops stay at the plateau.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.microsoft.sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 7 Mar 2001 08:33:16 GMT

SoneoneElse (SomeoneElse) wrote:

: Last I looked PowerPCs at a comparable speed did not require
: the cooling that PII's did. The fact is that as bad as MS is at
: producing slow bloated software, so too is Intel at producing
: inefficient microprocessors.

And the bloatware compounds the problem. That hastens Moore's Peak.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Subject: Re: What does IQ measure?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 08:33:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Edward Rosten wrote:
>>
>> > A true IQ test would have to
>> > involve pictures and patterns, and perhaps  have some mathematical
>> > basis, because these are the only ideas that  translate well all over
>> > the world.
>>
>> I don't believe there is a true IQ test. People are good at different
>> thing.
>
>BULLSHIT.
>
>There is are VERY strong correlations between doing well on a well-designed
>IQ test, and the ability to quickly learn and perform well at any other
>randomly selected task.  (Quickly as compared to the rate at which
>an IQ 100 person [statistical mean] would learn).

There was an interesting series on in the UK a while back when they discussed
this. There has been some research done that developed a test that was aimed
at a different area of intelligence. People that have a low IQ did better in
it than those with a high IQ. If I remember rightly it was something to do
with problem solving, where people with a lower IQ were found to be highly
adept at solving certain kinds of problems.

ian.

 \ /
(@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
/(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
 | |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: The Double Fucking ala MS...
Date: 7 Mar 2001 08:48:05 GMT

Michael Vester ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: snoopygates wrote:

: > w2k just came out and they haven't sat down to fix the bugs. Now they are
: > forcing the new windows on us.  When will it ever stop?

: Not as long as the can make piles of money.

Actually a stop sign is in sight. The minute that Intel can no longer deliver
on faster chips to run the more bloated software, the upgrade-go-round will
collapse, and like yeast in a jug of fermenting grape juice swimming in their
own excrement, Microsoft will have to die off.

While Moore's Law is in effect, Microsoft could sell ever-growing bloat becuse
the computer power is growing. But Moore's Law is about to smash into a wall
thanks to the heat dissipation limit and computing power will peak. Without
the growth, Microsoft can't live.

: > and ram,  and doesn't ever lock up, or show the blue screen.  Why is this
: > such a problem for Microsoft to overcome??  Is it because they want to suck
: > out as much money possible from your purchases of their products?  Is that
: > all that is important to them?  It would appear so.

: Bingo.

See above about computers being the soon to stop growing jug of grape juice
with Microsoft being the yeast culture. Years ago, I posted a parody of an
eco-wacko with Microsoft being the butt of the joke. It looks like my joke was
a forecast.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Time for a Windows reinstall!
Date: 7 Mar 2001 08:58:56 GMT

Paolo Ciambotti ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Haha!  That sounds _SO_ familiar.  I have a 'cpio' archive of my Windoze
: drive saved off under Linux.  When MSFT takes a crap all over itself
: (which is a regular occurrence), I just FDISK the damned thing and dump
: the 'cpio' image back onto it.  Never fails.

: Linux: the ultimate Microshaft Windoze recovery tool.

Another method is with a big hard drive, you save a rawcopy of the Windows
partition, rawcopied onto a partition in a giant file. Sort of like:

cp /dev/hda1 winblows.partition.

To recover, merely:

cp windows.partition /dev/hda1

For best results, ensure you use a giant hard drive (a 40G will do) with a
spare partition big enough to hole the file image.

Too bad there's no rawread to match rawrite for Windows users to save the C
partition to a bigger one in a file to use a boot disk to recover with
rawrite.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Date: 7 Mar 2001 09:01:09 GMT

The Ghost In The Machine ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Paolo Ciambotti
: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
:  wrote
: on Mon, 05 Mar 2001 19:19:44 -0800
: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
: >Haha!  That sounds _SO_ familiar.  I have a 'cpio' archive of my Windoze
: >drive saved off under Linux.  When MSFT takes a crap all over itself
: >(which is a regular occurrence), I just FDISK the damned thing and dump
: >the 'cpio' image back onto it.  Never fails.

: Also doubles as a darned good defragmenter, as well. :-)

: >Linux: the ultimate Microshaft Windoze recovery tool.

Not to mention app uninstaller, if you have a bare95 tarball sitting around.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: MS Price Strategy  (was Microsoft Tax)
Date: 7 Mar 2001 09:08:18 GMT

riceman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Just tell 'em you have your own copy of windoze. If they won't take off the M$tax
:then
: look else where.

Tell them you are going to beta test XP. If you in fact are, make sure your
computer is in a room that is Tempest'd and running on battery power any time
the computer is on, charging up when the computer is off AND UNPLUGGED. Can't
be too careful with known spyware.

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.microsoft.sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:03:52 +0100

We can always hope that processor architectures and computer architectures
will diverge, so that computers are more efficient for the purposes for
which they were bought.  At the moment, there is this absurd "one style fits
all" philosophy - there is very little difference between computers bought
for games PCs, office PCs, or low-end servers.  While a good games PC needs
a powerful CPU and graphics card, a typical office machine will be as
productive with a P-200 as with a PIII-1G.  And servers should not be using
the x86 style at all.  Why should a web/mail/database/file/print server need
powerful floating point and SMD units?  Simpler CPUs, like the ARM (or
Intel's xScale), will do the same job with vastly better price/performance,
space/performance and heat/performance ratios - with SMP chipsets for ARM,
they would be ideal.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: 7 Mar 2001 09:22:03 GMT

Donovan Rebbechi ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Why should the operating system go down in price ? Has it
: become cheaper to design and write operating systems ?

Yes. Mass distribution and cheap H1-B imported labour.

From: "Lorenzo Malaguti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows Owns Desktop, Extends Lead in Server Market
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:22:03 +0100

go to every computer model page technical details and overview.
for all computers.

HP and Compaq do the same.

--
Lorenzo Malaguti

www.prodev.org - per sviluppatori, ricercatori  e professionisti dell'IT

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Another great thing about Linux
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:33:13 +0000

This is a linux advocacy group, so I'd thought I'd create a thread about
how great it was.

I had a bit of a crisis yesterday, my trusty Riva128 died. There was no
output to the scren at all.

After establishing that it wasn't the screen at fault I decided to let
the computer boot.

It booted fine. No problem at all. It even loaded xdm so I was able to
access my computer using my desktop from elsewhere. I was able to do all
the usual things like print and waste time on cola etc.

I tried a couple of tests:

cat /dev/tty0

Error device does not exist (or something like that)

and cat /proc/pci showed no card plugged in.

Well I thought that it was great to be able to happily boot and let me
use it w/o a graphics card. I could even shut it down remotely to save on
the fsck's.

Wonderful.

Now I have an unbranded SiS6362 which isn't so good. It can't do
1280x1024 at a decent refresh rate without putting temporary garbage on
the screen whilst drawing. Not great for games :-/
If you ever thnik of getting this card, then don't bother unless its for
a server. it's rotten for a desktop > 1024x768

-Ed

--
                                                     | Edward Rosten
                                                     | u98ejr@
             This argument is a beta version.        | ecs.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I am looking for a newsreader
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:34:53 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Brad Sims"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Knode is ok but I want something like Xnews, that I can run on  my linux
> partition (SuSE 7.0, KDE 2.1). I have tried krn and did  not like it
> either.

Tyr pan (like me :-)

It's still beat, but as long as you're careful, it's OK.

If you have a large number of threads in a group, let it finish loaing
and threading before you tell it to do something else.

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sun Blade 100
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:34:48 -0800

Has anybody looked into the new Sun Blade 100?? It's around $1K, 64-bit
sparc, 128M, 18Gb drive, Cd-rom.
Runs at 500 Mhz.  Uses ECC memory expandable to 2Gb.  Has Gnome available
for it bundled in along with the other gpl software.  It appears to be a
good buy, but I'll take a coffee break and see what others have to say about
it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Subject: Re: GPL Like patents.
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:48:12 GMT

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001 09:58:44 -0500, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|Roberto Alsina wrote:

|> > This is an invalid interpretation. I don't agree. In section 2, it clearly
|> > states what is derived work.
|>
|> The point is not "derived work" that is not defined by the GPL anyway, but
|> by copyright law. The GPL speaks of "a larger work".
|>
|> Read the GPL, as you said.
|>
|> >  Your interpretation of "one iota" is incorrect. If you statically
|> > incorporate GPL code into your program, then
|> > you do make a derived work, however, if you do not, and simply link to a
|> > shared library, then everything is fine. I think that is quite fair.
|>
|> The GPL says nothing about linking, either statically or dynamically. What
|> part of the GPL are you using to draw this line?
|
|Reasonable question:
|
|Answer:
|The first paragraph after (c) in section 2 states:
|>>>>>>>>>>>>
|(1) These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. (2)If
|identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program, and can be
|reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then this
|License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you distribute them
|as separate works. (3) But when you distribute the same sections as part of a
|whole which is a work based on the Program, the distribution of the whole must
|be on the terms of this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend
|to the entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote
|it.
|<<<<<<<<<<<<
|
|(1) Limits the GPL to a single modified work.
|(2) Indicates that if you keep the GPL code separate from yours and your code
|is not merely an extension, yours need not be GPL.
|(3) Indicates that if you incorporate GPL code INTO your work, you must make it
|GPL.
|
|In the simplest terms, if you dynamically link to GPL code it can be
|"reasonably considered independent."

|If you statically link code into your program, then your program contains GPL
|code. If you dynamically link to GPL code then your program does not contain
|GPL code.

If your code depends on the GPL code, and won't run without it, how
independent can it be?

If you want to link in dynamic libraries, check out the "Library GPL".

The LPGL was devised for just this purpose.

The glibc library (v2.2) on my Linux system is licensed under the LGPL.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: 7 Mar 2001 09:47:30 GMT

Donovan Rebbechi ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: No, the old versions are not expensive. I picked up Windows 3.1
: (shrink wrapped) for about $20 a year ago. Win95 is fairly cheap
: too -- the current market price seems to be less than $40- right now.

$40 for an OS without apps anymore? Sheesh!

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:44:55 -0800

"Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Peter Hayes wrote:
>
> > One place I worked in had everal thousand PCs. They were 386/486/low-end
> > pentiums. They ran Win3.1 and the better ones ran Win95.
> >
> > They threw them out, replacing them with PIIs with 16 or 32 Mb ram
running
> > Win95.
> >
> > They threw them out, replacing them with PIIIs with 128Mb ram and 20Gb
> > hdds. They run Win98.
> >
> > They're thinking of throwing them out, getting P4s and putting Win2000
on
> > them.
> >
> > What's all this endeavour in aid of? So we can run e-mail and write the
odd
> > memo.
> >
> > What a waste of resources. Millions wasted for new kit. More millions in
MS
> > licensing. Some people are completely mad.
>
> Don't tell the Winvocates this.  They'll tell you stories about how Win
> 2000 runs fine on old HW.  Hey, some of those older machines, like say a
> 486 DX4 would make an awesome X terminal that you can network to the
> newer machines.  Unfortunately, most Windows users think Windows is the
> only OS that will run on i86 machines.  They aren't aware of X, Linux,
> or BSD.  As an aside, most SunOS users probably don't know what to do
> with those old SPARC IPX's they have lying around.  Surely, they're too
> "outdated" to run the newer versions of Solaris, right?  Wrong!  Install
> NetBSD or Linux on those babies, and watch them fly!  Old PC HW isn't
> the only "oldie but goodie" computer HW out there.
>
> MS isn't the only company milking Moore's Law.

You got that right!  But I networked around and got an old vax 4000 for
free!  It had fortran and C on it and
it along with dec windows.  Its using the Rigel cpu.  Its good enough for
me!

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:47:39 -0800

"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:983k3e$him$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> That's a bit like saying "You are allowed
> :> to drive as fast as you feel like in the US", without mentioning the
> :> qualifier "In Montana, during the daylight."
>

> : Csn you? I sem to remember speed limits there?
>
> My example may be out of date.  When the federal government recently
> allowed states to set their own speed limits on some highways (removing
> the 65 mph federal limit), Montana, being a state with lots of open
> empty land, removed the speed limit altogether on some highways.  That
> was a few years ago.  I haven't kept up to date on what has happened
> since then.

They set the speed limit to 75.  Their roads aren't all that great for any
higher speeds.
Only I-90 was the place to take a bmw or corvet.
The State sure a had a lot of weasel words in the law in regards to a safe
and responsible manner.
If they didn't like what they saw you got nailed!

------------------------------

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:55:36 +0100

Erik Funkenbusch wrote in message ...

>> > Nowhere near HyperTerm.
>>
>> Bollocks.  Same app, just more evolution.  No different to wordpad, and
>> the improvements still don't justify the size increase.
>
>TCP/IP support, scolling ANSI support, various TAPI support, multiple
>terminal emulations.  Hell, there are programs that sell for hundreds of
>dollars that do just what Hyperterm does.

HyperTerm is a completly different app from the old Terminal - MS licenced
it from a third party, whereas Terminal is their own "innovation".  There is
no doubt that HyperTerm can do a lot more than the old Terminal, but there
is a major difference - Terminal works, HyperTerm frequently doesn't.  Very
few people really need HyperTerm, and for those that do, there are vastly
superior free programs available (like Tera Term Pro), and vastly superior
commercial programs that work much better.

>> > A wav and MIDI player/recorder.  Hardly the full featured audio/video
>applet
>> > that WMP is.
>>
>> Yet still more evolution.  They haven't really CHANGED anything, just
>> updated it.
>
>Have you even *LOOKED* at WMP?  Hell, the damn thing creates CD's in
version
>8.

What advantage is that?  Have you ever seen a Windows PC with a CD burner
that did not come with its own CD burning software?

------------------------------

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:58:24 +0100

Donovan Rebbechi wrote in message ...
>On Tue, 06 Mar 2001 23:21:05 GMT, Giuliano Colla wrote:
>>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>>>

>>> Those numbers add up pretty quickly, huh ? THe bottom line is that
>>> modern software requires space.
>>
>>You're right in principle. But what's modern in Windows?
>
>The applications and the development tools (including IE 5). The desktop
>functionality, which is comparable to that offered in KDE/GNOME. The core
OS in
>Win9x is a piece of junk, but in terms of dev tools for writing user
friendly
>applications, they're ahead, not behind.

I won't argue either way regarding the desktop functionality, but Windows
does not come with any apps (remember, IE is "part of the OS", and not an
app) and certainly does not have any development tools.

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT vs *nix performance
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 02:05:22 -0800

> If someone isn't aware of how to get Linux for free, is it really Linux's
> fault that these people shell out for a boxed set?  It doesn't make Linux
> any less free just because some people don't understand how the free part
> works.
>

> > Besides, what's the price of Windows $50 or $100....$200 maybe depending
on
> > what version you get? It's like....not much. It's worth $200 to me to
NOT
> > fuck with hardware finding all of a nice Saturday afternoon.
>
> I actually don't know what you're talking about here... in all my recent
> installations, I've never had to 'fuck with hardware' to get it running.
> When I had an OOOOOLD version of Linux, things were definitely pretty
> bad.  I was new to it, and all my hardware was new, including a matrox
> video card.  I had so much trouble with it that, yes, I gave up and went
> back to windows.  But since those dark days, I've never had a major
> problem I couldn't solve with five minutes checking on the net.

Well, I have had four different linux distros install flawlessly on my
machine until I bought OpenLinux
2.4 from Caldera.  I popped in the CD and all I got was a kernel panic!  I
was glad I had the manuals
that came with it and finally had to use the old Lizard install program to
get things going again.
The best distro I liked was from a book that had slackware linux 3.5 with
it.  The book was most
educational and explained quit a bit about how things worked together.  It
was an M & T book.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: 7 Mar 2001 10:09:53 GMT

cat    cola ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: of those being gouged. A few years ago, by my use of 'few', would equate to
: the release of office 97. MS wasn't giving this product away by any stretch.
: I should know, I purchased it.  Office 2000, the current version, is
: comparably priced to the previous version. So, I have to ask, just what the
: hell are you all arguing about? When was ms giving their cash cow (office)
: away?

Let me guess. You fell for the Office 97 Trojan, err... I mean demo and got
your files corrupted. Only Microsoft can get away with charging victims for a
copy of destructive software.

Curiosity killed the cat.