From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 07:31:35 -0500

kiwiunixman wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
> > Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> >> The trick is to filter out the dramatics. Personally, I can tolerate him for
> >> no longer than five minutes at a stretch. Then, I have to get up and pop an
> >> old VanHalen disc into the CD. Nothing helps you churn out code like classic
> >> VH!  Devo and Rush (The band, that is) are good too. Oh yeah, A Bunn loaded
> >> with fresh Kona coffee...gotta have that!
> >

> > I'm getting old and soft (except for soccer time!), so I'm more into
> > new agey type music, preferably lots of rhythm'n'percussion, for coding.
> > I don't listen to Devo much anymore, though they are one of my
> > favorites.  Smart patrol!  No where to go!  Suburban robots that monitor
> > reality!  Common stock!  We work around the clock!  We shove the poles
> > in the holes!  Shove it!
>
> I prefer 1960-70s Soul, Fuck (with the extremely heavy bass), Electric
> Light Orchestra, The Eagles, Little River Band, Barry White, Issac Hayes

I go to parties
        sometimes until four
It's hard to leave
        when you can't find the door

> (the guy who sang the theme to Shaft), Beatles, Queen and lots of other
> "classics".  I cannot stand the modern day five boy/girl, talent less,
> commercially driven groups that would not be able to play and instrument
> to save themselves groups, and for the record, I play the piano, so I do
> have knowledge in the area of playing instruments.
>
> kiwiunixman
>
> <snip>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 07:33:16 -0500

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> [snips]
>
> "Goldhammer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:MWgX5.57779$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >OK, it can barely edit text, but that's about it. For Christ's sake,
> > >there are less than 10 shortcut keys in the whole thing! You can't
> > >even use Ctrl+S to save. It's a good job I've got emacs for Windows.
> >

> > And here the MS advocates may choose to respond: "but the average
> > Joe User doesn't need shortcut keys..." or some such drivel.
>
> Don't know about advocates, but at least one user - me - might point out
> that I don't really expect a hell of a lot from the freebies tossed in with
> the OS, regardless of who makes it.  I didn't with HP, I didn't with OS/2, I
> don't with Windows.  That some OSen _may_ bundle more useful utilities is
> nice, but hardly significant; if this is the determining factor, you might
> want to try a Mac with a bundled office ensemble.

I don't know about you...but I expect a LOT from the "freebies"
on a Unix system.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 07:35:12 -0500

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> [snips]
>
> "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:90jned$1eo6g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > up to 63,000 bugs in win2k
>
> 63,000 bugs?  Got a cite for that?

It came direct from a Microsoft kernel programmer.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:36:14 GMT

Curtis wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>
> | The next time I boot to Win 2000, I will.  In the meantime, can you
> | tell me how to get rid of the embossing and compression of menu
> | feature while in Word 2000 (on my NT machine at work)?  It takes
> | me forever to navigate GUIs looking for intuitive menu entries.
>
> Tools -> Customize -> Options Tab -> disable "Menus show recently used
> commands first".

Thanks!  I'm going forward this tip to myself at work.

Here's a tip in return:  In Word 2000, avoid turning on change
tracking in a large document that has a table of contents.
It is so slow it's like your system froze.

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX ROCKS AND WINDOWS SUCKS
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 07:38:12 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 00:55:55 -0500,
> the_blur <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes and I bet you believe he will be PENNY LESS after this,
> >> joing the church and become a nun in India!
> >
> >Of course not, but charity being what it is, and capitalism being what it
> >is, never forget that he's giving a hell of a lot more than we are and
> >helping a hell of a lot more people than we are AND HE'S NOT OBLIGATED IN
> >ANY WAY TO DO SO. Get it? He gives because he's a nice guy. Trying to
> >dehumanize him because you don't have his money/power or whatever it is you
> >covet changes nothing. 21 billion is a large sum of money, no one said you
> >had to make yourself pennyless to be a charitable person.
> >
> >You can attack Windows all you want, but character assasination is assinine
> >and juvenile.
> >
> >> The fact he has this money from the sale of this crap
> >> just makes my stomach turn.  Can you believe he made
> >> that much money off people selling Windows?
> >
> >Who cares? That's not the point. Besides, Windows isn't bad, if it were we'd
> >be using something else. I use Linux man, I know "Linux is the Right Thing
> >To Do ®" but even I can see the glaring bugs in it. Ask me about using Linux
> >for graphic design someday so you can learn how unready for me linux really
> >is. Even Windows 98 / MacOS (cooperative multitasking and NO memory
> >protection) can beat Linux to a pulp in color calibration, postscript
> >output, imagesetter support, Graphic Design Application support, multiformat
> >cutting and pasting and most of all STABILITY in the desktop.
> >
> >> It's messages like this which only leave me to conclude
> >> that the U.S.A. is utterly doomed.
> >
> >I'm Canadian =)
> >

> Oh blather!
>
> Tell this crap to the guy's who made the movie Titanic!
> It was all done using Linux.

Correction...they did a few seconds with LoseNT, but they
were rapidly falling behind schedule.  Converting 2/3 of the
machines to Linux, they were able to implement a much faster
rendering engine, and met the producion deadline.

> Charlie

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:39:29 GMT

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> [snips]
>
> "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:90jned$1eo6g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > up to 63,000 bugs in win2k
>
> 63,000 bugs?  Got a cite for that?  Last I heard, there were 60,000-odd
> *issues*, but that's a different matter; those can range from actually fatal
> bugs to requests to have more font control in dialog boxes, or other equally
> un-buglike things.

Okay, Bill, we know this is you.  Well, you're not gonna just sweep
this set of bugs under the rug with your arrogant sweeping statements
about what users report.

Your ex-roomie,

Steve Ballmer

--

C:\> REFORMAT MICROSOFT

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 07:42:36 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 00:29:31 -0600,
> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:90jrr8$1ft1r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Win98? Weeks at a time?
> >> I'm impressed.
> >> Do call Guniess, you are a first.
> >
> >No, he's not.  I've run Win98 for weeks at a time as well.  My longest
> >uptime on 98SE was almost 2 months.  I ended up having to reboot because the
> >modem locked up and wouldn't dial (not a problem with Win9x, the modem was a
> >crappy old Cardinal modem that had that problem, even under FreeBSD.)
> >
> >There's no black magic involved with keeping 98 up and running.  It just
> >involves doing routine maintenance.  Defragging the drive, Optimizing the
> >registry (using RegClean or Norton's optimization wizard), and keeping the
> >DLL problems under control with SFC (system file checker).  Also, using
> >hardware with known good drivers.
> >
> >I'm not claiming that Win98SE is rock solid stable, just that it's not as
> >instable as people seem to think if it's properly maintained.
> >

> You forgot to mention the rabbits foot in your back pocket.

And the dead chicken...can't forget the Dead Chickens..

> And your totally full of shit here also EF.
>
> Charlie

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:43:39 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Well, Reform and Libertarians I'm sure feel the same way. But actions
> speak louder than words, and the Democrats' actions say that they
> would like to have every citizen as an employee to the Federal Government
> or relying on it for daily sustinance. One or the other. Which line are
> you in?

Neither.  And I don't appreciate you speaking for people other than
yourself.  (Hell, I don't even like the people I helped elect speaking
for me!)

> So that makes it ok that the rest of them are being taken advantage of
> by the liberals?

I must leave your fantasy-land now.

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 07:45:35 -0500

kiwiunixman wrote:

> A little story and lesson about life:
>
> There was once an old lady that went to church, when she went into the
> church, she gave alll she could afford, which was one penny.    A very rich
> man came in next and gave several hundred gold pieces, though he could have
> given more. Who really gave for the sake of helping the needy?  The only
> reason why Bill Gates is giving away the money is because he can afford it
> (I would be very interested at his contribution before becoming a
> billionaire) and because it is good PR for the naive mass's who very rarely
> look behind what being sugar coated.  An example of the naive mass's would
> be the free Tabet movement that is reved up by some sandle wearing, tree
> hugging, anti free-trade wankers. Little to they (protestors) know Tabet has
> alway's been part of China, hence there protest is based on pro-democratics
> movement, spin-doctor material.

Actually, this is interesting in that it is the first time in
decades that a youth-appeal movement has been organized
AGAINST a communist government.

> kiwiunixman
>
> <snip>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:20:29 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

>>> Translation: Anybody with a computer is likely to have previous
>>> experience with power switches from other electrical appliances.

>> Isn't that the whole idea behind intuitive design, to use something
>> familiar?

> No, you idiot.

But of course, given that nothing about a computer is intuitive,
according to you, then there can be no such thing as an intuitive
design.

> What is often *CALLED* intuitive is really just familiarity.

You have a problem with that?  You did, after all, reference a URL
that said made such a recommendation.

> To be TRULY "intuitive" as *IMPLIED* by the word, *ANYBODY*
> can figure it out, without explanation, because it does NOT
> rely upon previous experience.

I suggest you look up the definition of the word in a dictionary,
Aaron.

> That was the point of the whole damn article,

Incorrect.

> you non-comprehending shit-for-brains.

How ironic.

>>> Intuitive implies "you know how to use it because it's function
>>> is obvious from the first time you encounter it"

>> The obvious nature of the function comes from experience or
>> familiarity with similar features of other products.

> A wheeled cart is intuitive,

Incorrect, according to your own reasoning, because a six-month-old
won't know how to operate it.

> because no prior experience is needed to to understand how to use
> it.

Then why can't a six-month-old operate it?

> A modern automobile is not.

Irrelevant, given that I didn't say it is.

>>> However, the use of power switches are NOT obvious.

>> Why not?

> To start off, because the mechanism is usually invisible,

What do you consider the "mechanism"?

> and the ELECTRICITY is definitely invisible...especially
> when it's not flowing.

Irrelevant, given that electricity doesn't need to be visible
to know what to do with a power switch.

>>> For example...a WAGON is intuitive...

>> Not to a six-month-old baby.  Thus using your "primitive tribesman"
>> reasoning, we can conclude that a wagon is also not intuitive.

> Harking to the undeveloped mind of a 6-month old is NOT
> a winning strategy,

Precisely why your harking to the "primitive tribesman" was not a
winning strategy.  Too bad you didn't recognize it at the time you
used it.

> MORON.

Still relying on invective instead of a logical argument, I see.
No surprise there.

>>> you don't need instructions nor to witness examples of other
>>> people using it to quickly figure out how to use a wagon to
>>> transport goods.

>> You do need to know that a wagon is capable of movement.  Take
>> someone unfamiliar with the concept of a wheel.

> Easily learned.

Thus not intuitive.

>>> On the other hand...the power switch on many electronic devices
>>> (especially stereo equipment), that it is NOT immediately obvious
>>> to the uninitiated what it's function is.

>> Stereo equipment tends to have lots of buttons, thus the need to
>> label one of them "Power", or similarly.  Nevertheless, some
>> designers purposely make the power switch oversized and in the
>> corner to avoid that very problem and make it more intuitive.

> So, other than the word "power", what makes a power switch
> different from any other switch?

Did you comprehend what I just wrote, specifically the part about
being oversized and in the corner?

> Anwer: NOTHING

Obviously you're suffering from reading comprehension problems.

>>> Especially if the label "power" or "on/off" were removed from
>>> the vacinity of the power switches on many pieces of high-end
>>> audio equipment.

>> You mean the ones that tend to have lots of buttons on them?

> Could beeeeeeeee!

I have a television with a single button on the front.  Care to
guess what it does?

>>> Many of them have front panels with so many controls that even
>>> people with a "first-world standard of living" are bewildered
>>> by them.

>> Precisely why your analogy fails, and precisely why I chose to
>> use a television or a radio as a better example.

> Relying upon the degenerate case is not a winning stratgey,

Relying on a "primitive tribesman" is not a winning strategy.
Too bad you didn't realize at the time you used it.

> MORON.

Still relying on invective instead of a logical argument, I see.
No surprise there.

>>> If you were to remove all of the labels from this
>>> equipment, the average american would take a couple of tries
>>> to even determine which switch is, in fact, the power switch.

>> Precisely why your analogy fails, and precisely why I chose to
>> use a television or a radio as a better example.

> Relying on the degenerate case is not a winning strategy,

Relying on a "primitive tribesman" is not a winning strategy.
Too bad you didn't realize at the time you used it.

> moron.

Still relying on invective instead of a logical argument, I see.
No surprise there.

>>> Additionally, if it were not for labels, the power switch
>>> and the reset switch on most computers look identical.
>>
>> On what basis do you speak for "most computers"?  I have several,
>> and some of them don't even have a separate reset switch, and of
>> those that do, it's recessed and accessible only to the point of
>> a pen, for example.

> Relying upon special cases is not a winning stategy,

Relying on the special case of a "primitive tribesman" is not a
winning strategy.  Too bad you didn't realize at the time you used it.

> moron.

Still relying on invective instead of a logical argument, I see.
No surprise there.

>>> If two IDENTICAL switches have non-identical behavior, then
>>> how can the function of the switch itself be "intuitive"?

>> You're presupposing the existence of two identical switches.
>> Not at all computers are designed with two identical switches.

> So what?

So much for your presupposition.

> Suppose one switch is purple, and the other is blue.

Do you know of any such cases?

> Tell us, oh great master...which one is the power switch.

Irrelevant, unless you can identify such a case.