From: Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: democracy?
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:59:51 +0100

"Andrew N. McGuire" wrote:

> Well, for example you have the majority who believe that as of
> January 1st, we started a new millenium.  Then you have those
> of us who are smart enough to realize that there was no year 0.

January 1st did start a new millenium. It just didn't happen to be the
third one after the purported birth of Jesus. :)

Seriously, all this means is that the majority of people think the
rollover to 2000 is more interesting and significant to them than the
arithmetic facts. Does it really matter? To them (and to me), the real
'idiot' is someone who thinks this is important.

> You have the majority that believes that Windows is the best OS
> ever to rear its head

The majority thinks no such thing. They have no experience with any
other OS, nor do they want any (the majority is quite intelligent in not
wanting to recompile a kernel simply so that Doom makes sounds on their
machine). So to say that the majority believe Windows is the best is
rather...idiotic.

>... Then you have those who know better.
> You have the majority of Usenetters who reply to posts jeopardy
> style, then you have the good Usenauts who don't.  etc, etc, etc...

Of course, there are people who are smarter than average, and I think
Usenetters in general fall into that category. But just because I
(err--we) are smarter than average doesn't mean the average is low. It
just means that we're quite smart. :)

------------------------------

Subject: Re: The Linux Fortress
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:27:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (sandrews) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Pete Goodwin wrote:
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sandrews) wrote in
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>
>> >So the point is?
>> >
>> >Let me guess, you hav`nt passed remedial reading????
>> >Or are you one that can`t follow directions??
>> >Or your just too damn lazy?
>>
>> No actually I haven't passed my psi exams for guessing what the
>> designers were talking about. "Remedial PSI" I suppose you'd call it.
>>
>> As for following directions, I followed the Diagnosis text file and
>> came unstuck. It made no mention of the encrypted nature of passwords.
>>
>> So, what was your point? Just to demonstrate how much superior you are
>> by using insults? Is that the best you Linux guys can do!
>
>I just get tired of all the holyier than thou Win Lusers comming in the
>linux news group spouting their bullshit as if ms is the only thing that
>exists.  I detect it in you as well as my bullshit meter is off the
>scale as I have read most of your posts here.

Your bullshit meter is faulty then. Your insults demonstrate how much you
do not wish to hear what I might say.

>Linux is easy, you just need to follow the HOWTO`s man pages and do a
>little work.

If only that were true. Linux, like UNIX, or OpenVMS, takes a while to
figure out. A little reading becomes hours of studying manuals and reading
HOWTO's. If it were done by a well designed GUI, then it would need hardly
any reading at all.

To give you an example - my AHA1520 SCSI card. The documentation claims it
should be auto detected. For some reason it never was. Long ago, I had read
the source code for the driver and descovered there the magic string
"aha152x=0x340,11,7" and this worked, but no amount of reading ever
produced this important string. The Linux documentation is broken, big
time. Documents refer to other documents that aren't there - for instance
Samba.conf refers to four that for some reason aren't on my system.

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:31:40 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>On Sun, 28 May 2000 20:08:16 GMT, Pete Goodwin wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Heininger) wrote in
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>

>>It's so well documented it refers to files I was unable to find.
>>
>># You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
>># ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the samba documentation.
>># Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
>>
>>I could not find any of ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt. If
>>Linux had a halfway decent HELP system, maybe I would.
>
>One doesn't use the "help system" on Linux, one simply looks up the
>files then reads them. It sounds to me like part of the problem is that
>you're not that familiar with Linux.

How can I read something if it is not there?

>For example, either:
>rpm -ql samba | grep ENCRYPT

I understand most of this line. -ql is a typical cryptic command which I
would guess is 'query' 'list'. If only it was:

rpm /query /list samba | grep ENCRYPT

I might start to like the cli. Or does

rpm --query --list samba | grep ENCRYPT

work?

>or for the GUI-only crowd, pull out gnorpm, and click on the samba
>package, and list the files.
>
>BTW, I could rant all day about how hopelessly ineffective Microsoft's
>"network troubleshooter" is ... the reason why the samba server gives
>me less trouble than the client is that at least samba has some decent
>docs.

I rarely read documentation on Windows. Funny that, isn't it.

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:32:56 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <8gsa8l$pjo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) writes:
>
>>It's so well documented it refers to files I was unable to find.
>
>># You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
>># ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the samba documentation.
>># Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
>
>>I could not find any of ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt. If
>>Linux had a halfway decent HELP system, maybe I would.
>
>Hmmm --- locate is your friend. Took me 2 seconds to find the files.

And if they are not on my system, what then? Will locate find them for me?

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:35:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I guess that depends on your background.  I learned to read and type
>long before I'd ever seen a mouse.

You had to learn to read and type did you not. Before that, did you not
recognised simple objects and associate actions with them?

That's what a GUI can do for you, if it's designed right. Typing implies
you know what you're doing, whilst a GUI tells you as you go along.

>If you can't read & type then your
>use for a PC is probably fairly limited.

Sounds like another insult to me.

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:40:05 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>On Sun, 28 May 2000 20:19:29 GMT, Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
>>How do you configure a share with Samba. You edit the smb.conf file.
>
>If you're a GUI bigot, you can use one of the several GUI
>configurators.

There was only one I could see that was part of Linuxconf. Did you know you
have to make sure Gnome libraries are installed before you can use
linuxconf BTW? The Samba configurator had a help button that took me to a
window with a LONG stream of text with no hot links or anything. Even HTML
would have been better. The cobfigurator looked to me to offer every
feature you could set in the script - but not what I was after - setup
Samba to run with Windows 95 and some simple shares.

>BTW I think you can also use a KDE tool for the samba service. You
>certainly can configure the file manager as a samba browser.

Any idea which one?

Pete

------------------------------

From: lis@ec
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: 28 May 2000 23:50:21 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>And if we were talking about just one project you might have a point.

he was. It was the kernel.

We know you are stupid, now we know you can not read also.

Each large software project will have its own bug tracking system.

Go learn something about software engineering first.

------------------------------

From: h@p
Subject: Re: linuxcare failure - more proof of how OSS fails
Date: 28 May 2000 23:56:43 -0700

In article <BcoY4.4194$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Boris" says...

>Who uses that crap anyway (I mean Linux)? I've never seen any business using
>linux.

Linux is used alot in in server type of business, ISP's, web servers, etc...

What kind of business that you usually see? How do see those businesses? do
you just walk in asking to see what computers they use?

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Don't run Windows.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:50:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mlw) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Windows is a prison, a cage. You are trapped into Microsoft's way of
>doing things. You will never be free of proprietary standards for which
>you must pay cash to use. Every dollar you spend on Windows and Windows
>products furthers your future expense. Every Windows user is one more
>brick in Microsoft's monopolistic wall of anti competitive behavior.

My prison is actually quite pleasant, thank you. It does what I want, it
gives me what I need, and evety now and then the walls fall off. Well, you
can't have everything!

>The average computer user is in the "death spiral" of Microsoft
>monopolism. The justification of "I need Microsoft Windows to buy
>Windows to be able to do ..." just makes doing "..." even more keyed to
>Windows.

I see no death spiral in my cage. The odd wall collapse is easily fixed
with scandisk, and if that doesn't work you reinstall your system and start
again!

>For the good of the computer industry, we need more early adopters. We
>need more app developers. We need more people to make and use Linux (or
>alternate operating systems). We need more push in the industry to
>reject MS Office documents as standards.

I can just hear the groans and cries of "don't do it" as I start to develop
apps for Linux...

>This may sound like a rah! rah! speech, and perhaps it is, but we need
>to make sure that Microsoft is not the one setting standards because
>Microsoft sets standards designed to protect its monopoly, not offer
>end-users choice. Without the end users having access to choice, real
>innovation in computers and software will not happen.

Microsoft need to have their knuckles rapped. I mean, they're doing things
to tie my feet to them, I don't want that. If they didn't force OEM's to
ship just Windows or IE5, I could carry on using my crashing Netscape much
more.

Pete

------------------------------

From: Martijn Bruns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux kernal - mode GUI?
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 10:08:29 +0200

CAguy schreef:

> To quote a Microsoft researcher:
>
> "In early versions of Windows NT [Custer 92], Microsoft implemented
> the Win32 GUI subsystem as a user-level process. With version 4.0,
> Microsoft moved the GUI subsystem into the kernel address space to
> improve performance. The differences between the two environments,
> particularly the semantic differences between system calls and IPC,
> necessitated a partial redesign of the GUI subsystem. It took ten
> months to stabilize the resulting system, longer than any previous NT
> release, although many other factors (for example, switching to the
> Windows 95 user interface) also contributed to this delay [Cutler
> 97]."
>
> Is there any on-going Linux project to do the same? or is this viewed
> in the Linux community as a Bad Thing to do?
>
> IMHO it's a good thing for a comsumer type of OS (for speed) and
> a non-issue for a server OS. Unless you believe that a GUI system
> in kernal mode makes the system inherently unstable.
>
> I think Microsoft made a wise choice.
>
> James

Actually, there is.

In the development-kernel (pre 2.4) there's a project aiming at
improving rendering speed in X, called DRI. (which stands for
Direct Rendering Interface) The X-interface get a significant
hook into the kernel with this technique.

If you wish to try it, you'll need one of the 2.3.99-preX-kernels
and XFree86 4.0. Because of the development state, it doesn't
work on many graphics-board as of yet. (only voodoo-cards and one
or two others, if i remember correctly)

I tried it with a Banshee-board, and the performance increase is
*overwhelming*! Windows and dialogs just -fly- around the screen!
(PII-300 with 96MB)
(I'm not sure if this last one has something to do with DRI, or
if it's just the difference between X4.0 and X3.3.6, though)

------------------------------

From: fungus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.lang.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Windows 2000 is finally stable....
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 08:39:31 GMT

Check it out:

http://msdnnews.microsoft.com/default.asp?masterfolder=directx

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals.
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 03:57:28 -0500

Adams Klaus-Georg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Adams Klaus-Georg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Please try to get this into your head:
> > > If an application, however buggy it is, can crash an OS, it is the
> > > OSes fault.
> >
> > I don't think anyone argues that having the ability to crash the OS is a
> > fault of the OS.
>
> If I parse that sentence correctly, you agree with me?

Yes, I agree with you.  That should read "I don't think anyone argues that
having the ability to crash the OS is not a fault of the OS".

> I will even swallow part of what I said:
> If an application _running with User Privileges_ can crash an OS, the
> OS is buggy.

Agreed.  However, bugs exist in all OS's.

> However, the quotes from the MS site you snipped seem to be not that
> clear. Let me requote from their Website at

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q195/8/57.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=g
n&FR=0

The MS website is it's knowledge base, which is designed to provide
immediate solutions and workarounds to problems.

>    RESOLUTION
>
>    To resolve this problem, the application has to be modified to
>    close the registry key when it is done with it.
>
> Nowhere do they say the OS has to be modified, although by our common
> definition it is buggy.

I think MS realizes that this is a legitimate problem with the OS, however
it is also a problem with the application.  The *SOLUTION* to the problem
with the *APPLICATION* is to fix the application.  The solution to the
problem of allowing the crash is to fix the OS.

Knowledge base entries can be anything from official bug statements,
workaround reports, how-to's, and general problem FYI's.  This particular
knowledge base entry is a general is the last, a problem FYI (as noted by
the keyword kbprb.  That doesn't mean that it's not a bug, just that this
entry is not an official bug statement.

> Looks like spindoctoring to me.

MS admits much worse problems as bugs.  Why choose something as simple as
this to spindoctor?

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.lang.basic,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: QB 4.5 in Win 2000
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 11:12:00 +0200

Roger wrote:

> On Fri, 26 May 2000 11:50:02 -0400, someone claiming to be T. Max
> Devlin wrote:
>
> >I've never understood why Windows seems to care about the details of the
> >motherboard, given the whole concept of the PC architecture.  Isn't
> >that, as well as the hard drive, the purpose of a BIOS?
>
> Says the man whose job it is to know more about the industry than
> anyone else.
>
> This would be the case if the BIOS presented a standard interface for
> all of it's functions.  It doesn't.  Things like plug and play and
> power management vary non-trivially from one BIOS to the next.

Then a non-trivial OS should be able to cope with it.

--
Ing. Giuliano Colla
Direttore Tecnico

Tel. 051 53.46.92 - 0335 610.43.35
Fax 051 53.49.89

------------------------------

Subject: Let's whine about wine
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 09:12:38 GMT

I tried to use wine.

The package says it creates a wine.ini. No it doesn't. Also, wine.conf is
empty.

Using the badly written documentation, I put together a wine.conf file.
Then I tried:

wine sol.exe

Ah, file not found. OK, copy sol.exe to my /usr/local/wine/windows
directory. Try again.

Oh look, Solitaire is running on X!

Ah, let's try something I've written. A 3D scene editor for POVray.

wine model.exe

fixme:ole:LoadTypeLibEx registration of typelibs not supported yet!
fixme:ole:ITypeLib_fnRelease (0x40b673f0)->ref is 3:   stub
fixme:ole:ITypeLib_fnRelease (0x40b673f0)->ref is 4:   stub
fixme:ole:ITypeInfo_fnRelease (0x40b67558)->ref is 3:   stub
fixme:ole:RegisterTypeLib (0x40b673f0,"C:\\windows\\model.exe","C:\\windows
\\"): stub
fixme:ole:ITypeLib_fnRelease (0x40b673f0)->ref is 4:   stub
fixme:ole:ITypeLib_fnRelease (0x40b673f0)->ref is 4:   stub
fixme:ole:ITypeLib_fnRelease (0x40b673f0)->ref is 4:   stub
No handler for Win32 routine OLE32.173: CoResumeClassObjects (called from
0x4e9626)

Oh well.

Now let's try something else, a DirectSound application that handles 3D
sound.

wine d5sound.exe

fixme:commctrl:InitializeFlatSB stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollInfo stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollInfo stub
err:rebar:REBAR_WindowProc unknown msg be10 wp=079c0001 lp=0000079c
err:rebar:REBAR_WindowProc unknown msg 0405 wp=00000000 lp=40b3f282
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg be10 wp=083c0001 lp=0000083c
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg b036 wp=40e6631c lp=00000001
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg b036 wp=40e66604 lp=00000001
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg b036 wp=40e66940 lp=00000001
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg b036 wp=40e66c48 lp=00000001
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg b036 wp=40e66ee8 lp=00000001
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg be10 wp=083c0002 lp=0000083c
err:rebar:REBAR_WindowProc unknown msg be10 wp=079c0002 lp=0000079c
fixme:imagelist:ImageList_Read empty stub!
fixme:imagelist:ImageList_Read Magic: 0x4c49
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollInfo stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollInfo stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollInfo stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollInfo stub
fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundImpl_SetCooperativeLevel
(0x40b67424,000005d8,2):stub
No handler for Win32 routine DSOUND.6: DirectSoundCaptureCreate (called
from 0x4718a8)
err:dc:DCE_FreeWindowDCE [05d8] GetDC() without ReleaseDC()!

Oh well.

Finally, lets try a console application (this is a WIN32 command line
application)

wine povray31.exe

This correctly displays the POVray usage text.

So I tried

wine "povray31.exe -isimple.pov -osimple.tga +v -w640 -h480"

I got an error about file protection. Understandable.

So, I should move from Linux to Windows huh. Wine isn't really good enough
for me, I'm afraid.

Pete

------------------------------

From: kl@orp
Date: 29 May 2000 01:21:46 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>That's what a GUI can do for you, if it's designed right. Typing implies
>you know what you're doing, whilst a GUI tells you as you go along.

oh no, not another GUI vs CLI.

this has talked about to death many times. no point of going over
that again.

THere is a place and time for each. Use the right interface
for the right job. end of discussion.

------------------------------

From: DaxiD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 11:27:22 +0200

I did the same thing, but i got a superbe Linux disb. It was really
easy to configure.  I use it on my web server and fileserver.
check out www.trustix.net. It is, of course, for free.

------------------------------

From: Illya Vaes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 11:49:48 +0200

"Seán Ó Donnchadha" wrote:
>>>They can reverse a biased half-awake judge's interpretation of both
>>>those facts and the law - a law, mind you, that is unique in its
>>>vagueness, and notorious for being open to creative interpretation.
>>You were there?
>The way every minute of the trial was reported, I may as well have been.

If you haven't been there you are completely dependent on the reports and can
therefore make no informed judgement about the reliability and accurateness of
those same reports.
And you think you can be a better judge????

>>Even a half-awake judge (who can blame hime if you have to wade through
>>MS' baloney full time) knows more of the case as presented before him and
>>the legal implications than you.
>Yeah, yeah, I know. The judge agrees with your point of view, so now
>he's superhuman, infallible.

Maybe it works that way for you, but not for the adults.

>>They have to stick to the same story on appeal as the one they told now.
>I think demonstrating that Jackson pretty much closed his eyes and
>ears - and literally went to sleep - every time an MS witness got up
>on the stand should be enough.

The facts stand.
One could even say that counsel being so boring as to make the judge falling
asleep (*if* true, closing your eyes != asleep) forfeit a case. After all, if
even a colleague at law finds it so extremely boring, there must be no
real-life relevance in it...

>>>According to many observers,
>>ZD? MS Winvocates? Lackeys?
>Oooh!!! I just *LOVE* it when you categorize people like that.

I try to open your eyes to the possibility of categories of people that would
... bring information from the trial in ways that would suit their own needs.
ZD has a business relation with MS that endangers their bottom line if MS were
to lose it's stranglehold on the industry.
MS Winvocates are cheerleaders, plain and simple.
Lackeys have their own opportunistic motives ($$$$$).

But as long as those observers agree with your opinion... eh?

>>If you read his ruling for yourself, you'll see how he logically
>>concludes, based on facts, why certain _possibly_ applicable precedents
>>are in fact no applicable in this case.
>IMHO, it's becoming more obvious with each court appearance that His
>Narcolepsy can't see beyond the browser issue in this case. He's still
>pissed off at the overturning of his idiotic injunction - he *STILL*
>wants IE out of Windows. This senile nutcase wants it so badly that it
>took him about twenty seconds yesterday to decide to destroy one of
>the most important companies in the world. After the day's events, how
>can you possibly believe he's still thinking rationally? Every lawyer
>quoted in every one of yesterday's reports expressed shock at
>Jackson's behavior.

Why don't you take on the MS legal defense, I'm sure your well-spoken closing
will turn the tide.

Read the ruling by the judge for yourself and see some logic being applied.
Oh, and how many seconds *do* you need after wading through rehashes of the
same garbage for *months*?
I sure don't need to read more messages from you in order to determine whether
or not you're an MS Weenie, like so many that come from the woodwork any time
MS is under siege (because of their own behaviour).

--
Illya Vaes   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])        "Do...or do not, there is no 'try'" - Yoda
Holland Railconsult BV, Integral Management of Railprocess Systems