From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:52:29 -0400

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:zrzO6.22194$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > So were quite a few others, actually. There
> > > were a *lot* of different PCs available then.
> >
> > No. There NO other PC's then. There wasnt until teh IBM PC. The others
> > were personal computers.
>
> Errrr... you are aware of what the acronym
> "PC" stands for, right?
>
> Back then it was hardly the exclusive
> province of IBM's machines. THat had
> to wait until more software was
> available, and the IBM PC's graphics
> capabilities got better.
>
> > <snip>

> remember
> >
> > The IIgs came out in Fall of 1986
>
> Pretty late. Much *too* late; it was up
> against 80286s by then, and the 386 was not
> far off.

The only reason the GS was "too" late was Apple. Western digital could
have kept up refining the 65xxx family, but a a color computer that was
less expensive than the MAc would have cut into Mac sales.

> [snip]
> > The IIgs GUI conformed to the Apple Human Interface Guidelines. You
> > could run the original deskop on a IIe. Now... do you know how it
> > worked?
>
> Yes, I even programmed it once. It worked darned
> near exactly like the UI of a Macintosh, but in
> color.
>
> You could not ever use it on a //e however. There
> was a horrible bastardized thing involving a special
> font on the later Apple IIs, but it was not the
> same at all.

WHen the Apple IIgs came out, you could use the desktop on a IIe. You
say you'ver "programmed" the GS, yet you dont know about this. You have
0 Apple II credibility.
--
Rick

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 21:51:05 GMT

"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Daniel Johnson wrote:
> >
> > "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > [snip]

> > been

> > > Duh.
> > > I repeat:
> > > Pricing. The CP/M offered by IBM has hugely overpriced, as you have
been
> > > told.
> >
> > A pretty silly thing for Digitial Research
> > to do, I'm sure you'll agree.
> >

> DR didnt do it, dolt, IBM did.

What was the price IBM price of CP/M compared to the price IBM charged it
customers?

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:54:49 -0400

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said Daniel Johnson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 21 May 2001
> >    [...]
> > >That is also a consideration, but I don't see that Windows
> > >had a very large cost advantage then.
> >
> > I don't see why it should need to be very large at all.  The trick is
> > simply that it is maintained long enough to ensure that all competitors
> > have been taken out with other anti-competitive attacks.
>
> ... or competitive ones, for that matter. Yes?
>
> >  After that, of
> > course, you can maintain monopoly prices, and steadily ensure that
> > consumers pay more and more and more for the product over time, as MS
> > has done for the past twenty years or so.
>
> No, not really. Windows typically costs around $10-$20
> per computer, and it hasn't changed much since it took
> off.
>
> There's a reason for this; Microsoft knows that if they
> jack up prices enough, they will create an opportunity
> for a competitor to supplant them, even if that
> competing product is not as good.

Digital tried that. They died. Go died. Netscape died.

> If Windows becomes expensive enough, Linux on
> the desktop could actually succeed! Think of that,
> and tremble.

Microsoft is already expensive enough. Linux can be had for media costs.
No licensing fees. How much cheaper does it have to get?

> However, MS is not dumb enough to let this
> happen to them just because of some silly
> anti-trust theory.

This shows how ignorant and arrogant you really are.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 21:56:33 GMT

On Wed 23 May 2001 01:28, Donn Miller wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
>
>> They absorb enything that hist them, however, they do radiate as well.
>>
>> Black holes have to radiate to obey the 2nd law of thermodynamics. It's
>> calles Hawking radiation.
>
> It's something about matter becoming extremely superheated as it
> accelerates towards the singularity, which causes X-rays to radiate from
> the black hole.  (Let me guess - now someone will be saying X-rays are
> faster than light, right? 8-)

Hawking radiation has absolutely nothing to do with the X-rays produced by
infalling matter.  Because of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, the more
precisely the location of a particle is known (the singularity of the black
hole) the less precisely the velocity is known.  This uncertainty in
velocity increases as the size of the black hole shrinks and the location
of the singularity is known more exactly, to the point that any black hole
without a steady diet of new matter will eventually evaporate and explode
in a burst of gamma rays.

--
Chronos Tachyon
Guardian of Eristic Paraphernalia

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:05:54 -0400

Quantum Leaper wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > [snip]

> have
> > > been

> been
> > >
> > > A pretty silly thing for Digitial Research
> > > to do, I'm sure you'll agree.
> > >

> > DR didnt do it, dolt, IBM did.
> >
> What was the price IBM price of CP/M compared to the price IBM charged it
> customers?

What?
--
Rick

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:05:06 +0200

"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Quantum Leaper wrote:

> > > DR didnt do it, dolt, IBM did.
> > >
> > What was the price IBM price of CP/M compared to the price IBM charged
it
> > customers?
>
> What?

How much money did IBM had to pay for DR per each copy of CP/M that they
sold?
How much money did IBM charged from the customer per each copy of CP/M that
the customer bought?
What is the price difference?

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:15:42 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9eeh4u$98g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Indeed. The implied addressing ones take two cycles. These include
> >>
> >> TAX, TXA, T??..., NOP, INX, INY, etc
> >>
> >> Others take more, for instance
> >>
> >> LDA #XX
> >>
> >> Takes 3 since it has 2 memory fetches (I'm pretty sure it takes 3) Zero
> >> page ones take more and general memory address ones take more still.
> >>

> > Zero page and Immediate both took 2 cycles and Absolute took 3 cycles,
> > p416 C= programmer ref guide.  Zero page was always fast than Absolute
> > addressing.   The only reason I knew were the guide was,  I just got
> > done cleaning up all the old Commodore equipment,  I have to sort the
> > stuff.
>
> I can't remember the name, but LDA #xx (load accumulator with the literal
> xx) should be faster than LDA xx (where xx is a location in zero page)
> since the first has to fetch the instruction and the literal. The next
> must fetch the instruction, the literal address and the contents of the
> address.

I guess Commodore Programmers Refencence Guide is Wrong and your right?
LDA #xx - Immediate and took 2 cycles
LDA $xx - Zero Page and took 2 cycles
LDA $xxxx - Absolute and took 3 cycles

> The slowest one like this is LDA xxxx because it has to fetch 2 literal
> address bytes.

True,  it took 3 cycles,  compare 2 for the others.

------------------------------

From: Jan D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:35:35 GMT

In article <Rs3M6.18991$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Les Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Perl is often counted as GPL'd, yet the GPL was probably applied as an
> alternate license specifically to avoid the exclusion problem.

Well, considering that early perl (2 and 3) was GPL only, this is
not true.  The Artistic License wasn't invented back then.  The
Artistic License is the alternate license.

        Jan D.

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 16:28:14 -0600

On Wed, 23 May 2001 21:51:05 GMT, "Quantum Leaper"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Daniel Johnson wrote:
>> >
>> > "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > [snip]

>have
>> > been

>been
>> >
>> > A pretty silly thing for Digitial Research
>> > to do, I'm sure you'll agree.
>> >

>> DR didnt do it, dolt, IBM did.
>>
>What was the price IBM price of CP/M compared to the price IBM charged it
>customers?

Don't know about IBM, but I bought my copy from Digital Research for
$250. IIRC, they had two prices, $250 for hobbyists and $600 for
businesses. About a year after buying my copy I think the hobbyist
price dropped to around $120.

------------------------------

From: "David L. Moffitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:39:16 -0500

"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> David L. Moffitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> You are not a policeman, and you are not a soldier. You are a reservist.
> >> You are, though, a right wing nut, and if you did the above, it would be
> >> illegal.

> >> The police, yes. The army and the marines, no, because they are not
> >> law enforcement agencies. It is illegal for a soldier to enter
> >> your house without permission, is it not?
> >
> >%%%% They did at Waco.
>
> Those were not soldiers, they were federal law enforcement agencies.
> And they did have permission, in the form of a search warrant.

%%%% Military personnel were in the tanks, as advisors and flying the helicopters.

> >> And even a policeman will need a search warrant.
> >
> >%%%% They didn't at Waco.
> >

> And having guns did them a whole lot of good, to those Davidians,
> didn't it?

%%%% Not against flammable tear gas banned by the military it didn't. (resent release
of hidden information)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Dell Meets Estimates
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:42:11 -0400

cjt & trefoil wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Mike wrote:
> > >
> <snip>
> > > Sun isn't very competitive in the low end server market, and their volumes
> >
> > define "low end server" in a way that does NOT mean "providing a service
> > (such as printing)" which can't be handled on THE SAME MACHINE which is
> > providing high-end services?
> >
> ><snip>
>
> The print servers I encounter these days are usually just a card in the back
> of the printer, anyway.  Look how well HP is doing and decide whether you
> even want to play in that market.

good point.  But Mafia$oft needs a whole NT monster to handle this simple task.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:44:52 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > JS \\ PL wrote:
> >
> > > Well after half a day checking out the new XP OS, I have to say IT KICKS
> > > MANDRAKE ASS!!
> > > Internet connection stays when switching users!
> >
> > You mean you lose your internet connection whenever you log out? It's
> > the way you have KDE set up that is at fault, because kppp is exiting
> > when you logout.  But you should be able to login to your provider with
> > a command-line equivalent of ppp, so that your internet connection will
> > stay up once you start it, no matter who logs in or out.
>
> No, above he said that Mandrake DID keep the connection OPEN, and
> existing Windows did not.
>
> Windows XP DOES keep it open now as well.

As usual, Mafia$oft 25 years BEHIND the rest of the industry.

> -c

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:45:45 -0400

JS \\ PL wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > JS \\ PL wrote:
> > >
> > > I have to say, Linux Mandrake 8 was looking real damn good. Support for
> all
> > > my hardware (for once) easy set-up, even seting up networking and
> connection
> > > sharing was painless. Good newsreader - Knode, pretty stable OS. I even
> > > liked the fact that it stayed connected to the Internet when switching
> users
> >
> > this has been a fact of Unix family operating systems since they were
> > first networked (i.e. 1970's)
> >

> > > (unlike Win2K)
> >
> > Another admission that Mafia$oft is over 30 years behind in basic
> technology.
>
> I was wrong. It's a post install regedit in WINNT that I didn't know about.

And using regedit is all intuitive and newbie-friendly how, exactly?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: IBM to let Linux fans use mainframe--for free
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:48:23 -0400

fmc wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I found this info  at:
> >
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20010522/tc/ibm_to_let_linux_fans_use_mainfr
> ame--for_free_1.html
> >
> > Anyone knows how to get this access?
>
> Yes, read this:
>
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20010522/tc/ibm_to_let_linux_fans_use_mainfr
> ame--for_free_1.html

When posting long URL's please adjust your line length so that they don't
get fucked up

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20010522/tc/ibm_to_let_linux_fans_use_mainframe--for_free_1.html

> fm
>

> > Zalek