Linux-Advocacy Digest #962, Volume #26            Wed, 7 Jun 00 20:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: 10 Months of my time wasted on Linux. Back to Microsoft for me! (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Canada invites Microsoft north (Alan Baker)
  Re: SVGALib (David Steinberg)
  Re: SVGALib (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: 10 Months of my time wasted on Linux. Back to Microsoft for me!
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SVGALib ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? (Marty)
  Re: Bob's Law ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: How many years for Linux to catch up to NT on the desktop ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Segmentation Fault? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Canada invites Microsoft north (Marty)
  Re: Please Advice Me ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SVGALib (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: windoze 9x, what a piece of shit! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SVGALib (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Bob's Law (Marty)
  Re: Linux is so stable... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day (Scott Dorsey)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: 10 Months of my time wasted on Linux. Back to Microsoft for me!
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:25:43 GMT

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:15:08 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:01:13 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 22:45:42 GMT, Tiberious <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>I run a small hardware / software consulting firm and being a
>>>businessman educated in solid business principles (Wharton if you must
>>[deletia]
>>>First we tried Wordperfect but it kept crashing far too much to be
>>>useful. The demo's were getting embarrassing. Then we tried StarOffice
>>>but even on decent hardware (Pentium II 450mhz with 256 meg) it ran like
>>
>>      This assertion seems suspect.
>Actually I hade the WOrdperfect suite crash on me a couple of times

        I was talking about the performance of StarOffice.

>under Linux, but truthfully the experience was no worse than
>Wordperfect (Corel variety) under Windows.
>
>The on screen fonts were painful though, but it did printout fine.
>

>>[deletia]
>>>explained the lack of anti-aliased fonts to me and that was the end of
>>>that. A person who has to look at a screen for 8 hours a day with jagged
>>>fonts is an OSHA lawsuit in the making.
>>
>>      This, I think, is the clincher. While I'll agree that there
>>      may be certain subjective aesthetic considerations to consider,
>>      this strikes me as much the same as certain OS advocates that
>>      look down on cheap 19" monitors for no other reason then that
>>      they are cheap.
>

>I saw osha come in and fine a client for not having wrist pads on
>their PC's because some user complained. I also saw them fine another

        There is a bit more science behind the claims regarding
        improper wrist support. I prefer to have good support all
        the way back to the elbow...

>client for having a coat hook too close to the bathroom door, meaning
>someone could hit their head on it.
>
>Nothing would surprise me with osha.

        OTOH, reading too much high resolution text (of the printed
        variety) can cause premature and extreme degredation in
        eyesight. This correlation can easily been seen amongst the
        ranks of lawyers and law students.

        So, I kind of chuckle when people complain about "poor quality"
        versus "good quality" screen fonts in this context.

[deletia]

                                                                       / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Canada invites Microsoft north
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 16:28:21 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> >How many? I find only 2 on the web.
>>
>> Perhaps you should look harder:
>> [snip]
>
>Aren't there some Matrox cards as well?

I didn't try and make a comprehensive list. Those were just the quickest
I could find.

>> >... REXX,
>>
>> Huh?
>
>An extremely powerful and versatile scripting language which is embedded
>into
>OS/2's command shell (and was historically developed and used extensively
>on
>IBM mainframes of yesteryear)

Ah. Compare and contrast with AppleScript, perhaps?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Subject: Re: SVGALib
Date: 7 Jun 2000 23:28:08 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Never said I did David. The guy wanted to do a screen dump. Someone
: suggested patching in *.c code.

: Is/was this necessary?

Apparently it was.

: If it was Linux is lame.

svgalib != Linux.  Moreover, there is nothing like svgalib in the Windows
world, so it is your comparison that is lame.

The only Windows comparison that makes sense is the comparison with
X.  That is why I pointed out that doing screenshots in X is easy.

--
David Steinberg                             -o)
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:32:13 GMT

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:09:29 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Never said I did David. The guy wanted to do a screen dump. Someone
>suggested patching in *.c code.
>
>Is/was this necessary?
>
>If it was Linux is lame.
>
>If not, how does one go about it.

        However the application programmer coded it. The only
        UI that exists in an SVGAlib app is the one the coder
        coded.

>That is it in a nutshell.
>
>On 07 Jun 2000 14:47:27 -0600, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>>
>>> Another example of Linux lacking. You have to insert code in order to
>>> take a screen dump...Pitiful this Linux is...Pitiful indeed...
>>
>>You obviously don't know what SVGAlib is.

        ...and you still don't get it.

        Besides, there are what? 2 or 3 SVGAlib apps to worry about in
        this respect?

                                                                       / | \

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:34:57 GMT

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:25:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:15:08 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:01:13 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>>wrote:

>>>[deletia]
>>>
>>>     This assertion seems suspect.
>>Actually I hade the WOrdperfect suite crash on me a couple of times
>
>       I was talking about the performance of StarOffice.
>
>>under Linux, but truthfully the experience was no worse than
>>Wordperfect (Corel variety) under Windows.
>>
>>The on screen fonts were painful though, but it did printout fine.
>>

>>>[deletia]
>>>
>>>     This, I think, is the clincher. While I'll agree that there
>>>     may be certain subjective aesthetic considerations to consider,
>>>     this strikes me as much the same as certain OS advocates that
>>>     look down on cheap 19" monitors for no other reason then that
>>>     they are cheap.
>>

>>I saw osha come in and fine a client for not having wrist pads on
>>their PC's because some user complained. I also saw them fine another
>
>       There is a bit more science behind the claims regarding
>       improper wrist support. I prefer to have good support all
>       the way back to the elbow...

This is true. I have several folks I know that have requested, and
gotten, high tech ergonimic chairs and workstation support facilities.
>>client for having a coat hook too close to the bathroom door, meaning
>>someone could hit their head on it.
>>
>>Nothing would surprise me with osha.
>
>       OTOH, reading too much high resolution text (of the printed
>       variety) can cause premature and extreme degredation in
>       eyesight. This correlation can easily been seen amongst the
>       ranks of lawyers and law students.

Super high res text is as bad or worse than fuzzy text. IMHO it's a
fine line, and an individual line, between what is comfortable.
Personally I prefer the smooth MS fonts and general look. Others may
differ.

I find a

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:36:31 GMT

Let's make this simple.

1. The guy wanted to do a screen shot.
2. If you are doing a screen shot the image is already on the screen
yes?
3. Why does one need *.c code to capture an image already on the
screen?

That is my question.

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:37:55 GMT

Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marty  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Leslie Mikesell wrote:
> >>
> >> Things that happen inside of only one box aren't much more
> >> interesting to me than things that happen inside of
> >> one application.  Perhaps I've missed the significance
> >> of why it should be.
> >
> >Things that happen inside of one box are more efficient with regard to data
> >transferrence.
>
> Yes, but if the data is already there, what interesting thing still
> need to happen to it?
>
> >Local access to storage is faster than access from a foreign
> >machine.
>
> And less interesting.  I already have that data.

Well, I certainly wouldn't engage in an argument about what does and doesn't
interest you, but home users in general are not terribly interested in firing
up several computers to accomplish a task.

> >In addition, home users are far more interested in what can be done
> >on a single standalone box because they can't afford (or don't want to buy)
> >extra equipment.
>
> So, the application can only deal with my own typing?

Not sure I follow...

> >The paradigm of favoring interoperability between systems as
> >opposed to interoperability between applications is clearly business and
> >large-task oriented and is a poor trade-off for home users.
>
> There is no trade off.  Programs that actually do interoperate
> don't mind running on the same machine if that is all you have.

But can they interact with other applications smoothly on the same box?  An
example of what I'm talking about is VoiceType Dictation/Navigation on OS/2.
None of my applications have any particular knowledge of this app, yet every
one of them can be voice-enabled.

> Besides, anybody posting here probably has more than one machine
> at home too.

How often are they doing anything non-trivial with more than one of them?

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Bob's Law
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:40:55 GMT

Mayor writes:

>>> Since when has logic had anything to do with Usenet?

>> Since I started posting.  Perhaps even before that.

> Typical pontification.

Since when does "perhaps" represent a pontification?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Subject: Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:40:19 GMT

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 19:16:49 -0500, James E. Freedle II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
>>
>> "James E. Freedle II" wrote:
[deletia]
>> opinion.  There are hundreds of thousands of Linux/Unix users out there
>> that left the Windows world to get a breath of fresh air and to get
>> access to a truly useful CLI shell.  Why would they (which are usually
>> the creators of new shells CLI or GUI) push to eradicate one of the
>> things that they consider the most useful?
>>
>> Nathaniel Jay Lee
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Command line will disappear once people get over the notion that they
>are neccessary. I only use one when I have to, and not by choice. I am a
>technical user, and I do not use the CLI unless there is no other way. I

        ...there you have it. Until GUI's can manage to fully replicate
        the functionality of the various command interpreters, they will
        always exist.

>see users everyday trip and fumble on CLI of the Sun server that we use
>everyday. The CLI is not very intuitive, because you have to visualize
>what to do next. The only people that think that the CLI is intuitive,

        This is the optimal way to do things even with a GUI.
        Otherwise you end up not fully exploiting the full
        potential of the interface.

>are the people how where told that they will learn it, and therefore
>they pass this on. This is not improvement, but putting off the
>invetable. The CLI will fade just like the dinosaurs! In my experence,
>scripts are neccessary when the program was written incorrectly. The
>correctly written program would function as the user needs, not as the
>programmer's think. User's dictate the usage of the program, not the
>programmer!

        IOW, we need to breed us a Kwisatch Haderach of app developers...

        In the meantime, command shells allow for relatively simple
        ad hoc programming when your imagination happens to exceed
        that of "real programmers".

                                                                       / | \

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How many years for Linux to catch up to NT on the desktop ?
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 19:57:36 -0400

On 7 Jun 2000 17:35:03 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>     You can't even grok Windows-isms in another enviroment, you
>>     can't be too bright or experienced.
>
>Yeah right. Your arrogance is astounding.
>
>>     ...and I did the same thing, except with at 4M PNG and Linux didn't
>>     so much as burp...
>
>Well bully for you. On my system I saw a definate slow down.

Same thing here, Print causes a virtual shutdown.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault?
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 19:59:15 -0400

You are running Linux.
Seg faults are normal operation for Linux.

See the SegFault How-To for information

Sponge

------------------------------

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:42:48 GMT

Alan Baker wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

> >> Perhaps you should look harder:
> >> [snip]
> >
> >Aren't there some Matrox cards as well?
>
> I didn't try and make a comprehensive list. Those were just the quickest
> I could find.

I was just curious.  I thought I heard that there were some.

> >> Huh?
> >
> >An extremely powerful and versatile scripting language which is embedded
> >into OS/2's command shell (and was historically developed and used
> >extensively on IBM mainframes of yesteryear)
>
> Ah. Compare and contrast with AppleScript, perhaps?

I know nothing of AppleScript.  REXX, however, can be used to do darn near
anything in OS/2, including GUI, multimedia, and TCP/IP applications, and can
be extended to use custom APIs of your own.  There's also an OO version in the
Warp 4 installation.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Please Advice Me
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 20:00:32 -0400

You're an idiot for even considering Linux. Is this what my tax dollars are
paying for?

take a look at the real world and see how much Linux is hated and then come
back.

Linux sucks the big one....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:44:50 GMT

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:21:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:13:53 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:08:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>>Do you ever speak english?
>>>
>>>The guy asked to do a screen dump?
>>
>>      ...while using an app coded in some lowlevel console based
>>      graphics rendering library, outside of X or any similar
>>      enviroment.
>
>Explain this to me?
>
>If something is on the screen, why can it not be dumped?

        It can be. It's just that the only interface present is
        a programmer's interface.

[deletia]

                                                                       / | \

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: windoze 9x, what a piece of shit!
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 20:01:27 -0400

Linux=Odd...

Linux sucks Pete, the sooner you figure it out for yourself the better.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:46:38 GMT

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:36:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Let's make this simple.
>
>1. The guy wanted to do a screen shot.
>2. If you are doing a screen shot the image is already on the screen
>yes?
>3. Why does one need *.c code to capture an image already on the
>screen?

        The API is what's in control of the relevant resource.

>That is my question.

        ...just like X is what's in control of the relevant resource
        if you are interested in doing a screen dump of an X app.

[deletia]

                                                                       / | \

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:47:06 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Since I started posting.  Perhaps even before that.
>
> > Typical pontification.
>
> Since when does "perhaps" represent a pontification?

Typical illogical assumption about which statement Mayor was referring to.
"Since I started posting" represents a pontification.

P1: "1 + 1 = 5.  I think it's a nice day."
P2: "Incorrect."
P1: "Prove that I don't think it's a nice day."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux is so stable...
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 20:04:34 -0400

Pete, you are dealing with a rabid, tunnel vision idiot.

He most likely weighs 400 lbs and has never been laid.

He runs Linux, need I say more?

You have tried Linux.
What do YOU think of it, honestly?

Da' Sponge has been there and back. Linux is butt a mere fart on the way to
nirvana. Win 2k IS nirvana, it so completely blows away Linshit it isn't even
funny.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:48:50 GMT

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:21:42 GMT, Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>JEDIDIAH wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 22:28:13 GMT, Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Leslie Mikesell wrote:
[deletia]
>> >opposed to interoperability between applications is clearly business and
>> >large-task oriented and is a poor trade-off for home users.
>>
>>         ...until they have to acquire some Robber Baron's bit of software
>>         just because "everyone else" is using it & it tries to be as
>>         incompatible with everything else as possible...
>
>True interoperability between applications on the same box doesn't stop at
>file formats in my book.

        Ultimately, that's all you have. The "file" could be streamed
        in a pipe or a socket but it's essentially the same in the end.

                                                                       / | \

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Dorsey)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Date: 7 Jun 2000 23:48:51 GMT

In article <1Me%4.2741$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
James E. Freedle II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I was really trying to make the point that Windows is much better to use.
>The reason that I say this, is that Windows is GUI.

I just want to say that when I read this, it made lapsang souchong come out
of my nose and that hurts.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra.  C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."