From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: System's analysis?  What does this person do ?
Date: 18 Dec 2000 21:13:23 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> peter wrote:
>>
>> I was looking through the paper the other day and I notice several
>> systems analysis jobs (for Unix, Linux, and NT)?
>>
>> What exactly does this person do ?

> Complete definition of ALL system hardware requirements AND
> COMPLETE program operational characteristics (from user interface
> to data storage strategies and manipulation techniques).

>> How do you train to be a systems analysis?

> 4-year college degree in computer systems engineering, or
> computer and electrical engineering.

Which are both actually entirely unessesary for this position in
the real world, and usually lead to systems analysts who implement
terrible strategems they read about in some microsoft book.

Try 5 years system administration and architecture experience,
with preference to over 2 years project management and network
planning experience.  School doesnt matter.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: swithching to linux
Date: 18 Dec 2000 21:19:25 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hell, I have a P100 with 72 meg of memory that I used to compile the world
> on FreeBSD and THAT was painful to use while it was doing that.

FreeBSD buildworld is very different from linux's straight up kernel compile.

It really is actually possible to compile a linux kernel in 4 megs of ram
(using swap) and do something on another console without too much trouble.

Now, this assumes that youre not doing much of anything else; you may
have a telnet session going on that other console or something, but god
help you if youre running any large services.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: 18 Dec 2000 21:27:20 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 16:56:51 GMT, "Chad Myers"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> >"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Oh yeah, the NYT has never posted anything false about the Republicans
>> >before.
>> >
>> >It should be called the Clinton Times.
>> >

>> Really? Then why did it push for a whitewater investigation early on
>> in Clinton's administration?

> And then socially assassinate Kenn Starr when he did?

Its the aliens, chad!  Theyre experimenting with mind control disguised as
american democrats!

> Give me a break.

Indeed.

=====.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows Stability
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:30:55 +0000

Adam Ruth wrote:

> This would be good for all of those junior admins out there to know, as
> well
> as some of the senior admins.  So please tell us, those of you that know,
> what are the secrets?

Which Windows?

Windows 9x is inherently unstable as is provides no memoryprotection
between applications. Windows NT/2000 ought to be the stable version of
Windows.

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: OS and Product Alternative Names - Idiocy in action
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:50:32 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Colin R. Day
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:19:33 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Colin R. Day
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  wrote
>> on Sat, 16 Dec 2000 13:41:15 -0500
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> >As long as they don't use NT on warships!
>>
>> The problem was not with NT, but with an application that couldn't
>> handle divide by zero, and ultimately disabled the ship for
>> various reasons.
>
>And FreeBSD wouldn't have handled that more robustly?

Unknown.  I was under the apprehension that the application died
precipitously; since the app was the one communicating to the
ship's systems (using NT's drivers such as serial drivers, or
Ethernet), the operating system could be up, but the ship dead
in the water.

I could be wrong -- but I doubt FreeBSD would have helped or hurt,
given that set of circumstances.  It is also possible that a naive
application in FreeBSD wouldn't have crashed because of a
/0 error, however -- I don't know since I don't have FreeBSD.
If that is the case, then a /0 error on NT could have very well
suspended the process, prior to killing it (did it show
a "critical application fault" dialog or something?) which would have
hung things.  A /0 on FreeBSD, by contrast, might give NaNs, which
may or may not have been harmful depending on how the result is used.

This is all of course pure speculation on my part.  Personally,
I think FreeBSD would be an excellent choice for industrial control
applications. :-)  Linux would be almost as good, and might
be easiler to sell (buzzwords, yuck).

NT?  It might make its way onto office-bound desktops, where
reliability is less of a concern and glitz is the top priority.
I hope the Navy isn't like that, though.

>Colin Day

                    up 84 days, 17:13, running Linux.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Windows an operating system like Linux?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:52:46 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > A small embedded ROM system can be an OS. The X window system, though
> > vastly more complicated, and in some ways similar to an OS, is not an
> > OS. The same goes for MS Windows.
>
> X Windows does not offer scheduling, memory management, file systems, etc...

Not relevant.

> > > Linux doesn't boot on it's own.  It needs a bootstrap loader, such as
> Lilo,
> > > or Loadlin or grub or even the NT bootloader.
> >
> > Actually that is not completely true. The Lilo loader is a convenience.
> > It is trickiy to get a system to boot without a loader, but linux does
> > not absolutely need lilo. Try using something like dd to copy the linux
> > kernel to a floppy. It will boot off that floppy with no loader.
>
> For floppies, sure.  But not for hard disks.

Yes for hard disks, you copy it to the right partition and it will work.

> > Besides, a loader is ephemeral, it goes away. DOS does not go away under
> > Windows.
>
> It is, however, chained, shackled, and stuffed into a cage (V86 session).

Lilo is overwritten once the kernel is loaded, it no longer exists in
memory.

> extender.
> > >
> > > Yes, it is a dos extender, in ADDITION to being an OS.  Just like OS/2
> is a
> > > dos extender (via the DPMI interface it provides).
> >
> > Windows is a DOS extender because the windows 386 executive is a DOS
> > extender which provides a DPMI interface. It is through this interface
> > Windows operates.
> >
> > OS/2 on the other hand is not based on DPMI, it is has its own APIs, but
> > it provides DPMI for DOS applications. It has no core DOS to extend.
>
> You seem to be confusing Windows 3.1 with Windows 9x.  While indeed, they
> have lots in common still, the kernels are radically different.

You seem to be confusing Windows 9x with NT. I refer you to Andrew
Schulman's book "Unauthorized Windows 95, Developers Resource Kit" or
"Inside Windows 95" by Adrian King. (MS Press). Or you could download
the Windows DDK and read the help files.

> > > Well, the Federal Standard, for instance:
> > >
> > > http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/fs-1037/dir-025/_3689.htm
> > >
> > > And I'm certain that Apple's OS experts would disagree that MacOS X was
> not
> > > an OS.
> >
> > This is very vague and simplistic. By this definition emacs is an OS.
> > Surely we can find a more precise definition. If we can officially call
> > emacs an OS, I think Windows is almost as capable.
>
> So because an authoratative source doesn't meet your needs, it's not valid.

No because by this definition emacs is an OS, thus, unless we accept
emacs as an operating system, we must question the validity of the
authority.

> in
> > >
> > > A "DPMI environment"?  What the hell is that supposed to mean?  Windows
> do
> > > *NOT* run in a virtual DOS machine, they run in unique 32 bit protected
> mode
> > > address spaces with certain portions of the system VMM mapped into those
> > > contexts.  Windows itself runs in what's called the "System VM" which is
> > > protected mode 32 bit address space of it's own.
> >
> > In DOS Windows, there is a system VM in which ALL windows programs run.
> > Take a look at the DDK. Separate DOS programs run in thier own VM, but
> > all Windows programs run in the same VM. They isolate programs' private
> > data by manipulating the page table, not but creating virtual machines.
> > This behavior is well documented, supported by Microsoft's own diagrams.
>
> This is not true in Windows 9x, except for 16 bit apps windows apps.

You are most completely wrong here. I direct you to any number of pieces
of documentation in the 9x DDKs, but the most handy reference is page 21
of Andrew Schulman's "Unauthorized Windows 95, a Developers Resource
Kit."

You are thinking about how NT runs Windows applications which is totally
different.

> > If you take the time to read about how to make DOS calls from a VxD, in
> > the DDK you will see you must make sure you are in the system VM before
> > you can make a DOS call.
>
> Again, irrelevant to Windows 9x.
>
> > Also, take a look at Andrew Schulman's book "Unauthorized Windows" which
> > tells of how DOS is in the system VM, and its extensive dependency on
> > DPMI.
>
> Again, irrelevant to Windows 9x, since Windows 9x's memory management is
> done in 32 bit protected mode and radically different from Windows 3.1's.

You are completely wrong here. The only major low level difference
between 3.11 and 9x was the addition of VxDs. The Windows 3.11 for
workgroups was, for all practical purposes, a technology preview of the
low level additions to be made in Windows for Chicago. Specifically VxD
FAT and 32bit networking.

The books to look at, should you want to have an informed discussion,
are:
Inside Windows 95, by Adrian King, Microsoft Press. (Page 64 has a good
picture)
Unauthorized Windows 95, Developers Resource Kit, (Page 21 has another)

You can look at the Windows 9x DDK if you like too. There is a lot to
wade through.

Clearly from your assertions, you are mistaking 9x and NT. That's an
easy thing to do if you are not a developer.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,alt.politics.libertarian
Subject: Calif. electricity shortage
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:47:45 -0500

Society wrote:

> [...]
> > I view it as an incredible Red Herring.  Most women
> > want kids.  They like blaming the men for "knocking
> > them up" and using that in a traditional fashion.
> > (Yes, I know this is what C4M is about.)
> >
> > Eliminating Roe V. Wade abortion would have the
> > following impact: NOTHING.
>
> Hmmm, interesting speculation, Mark. Of course,
> immediately after an overturning of _Roe v. Wade_,
> movement feminists would go nuts. Then, after the
> media panic finishes its 9-Day Wonder cycle, reality
> would set in and folks might see the Empress Of
> Feminism Has No Clothes. After the "one free grope"
> defense of clinton and the recent marriage of Gloria
> Steinem (to a man, no less!), a lot of people are
> starting to rub their eyes open already.
>
>    The crown jewel of the gender gap left, abortion, has
>    lost its luster. Fewer women now refer to themselves
>    as "pro-choice", and the overwhelming majority of them
>    agree with Democratic leaders like Tom Daschle and
>    Dick Gephardt that partial-birth abortion should be
>    outlawed. In a recent Los Angeles Times poll, an eye-
>    popping 61% of women agreed with the statement
>    "Abortion is murder."
>
>    Kellyanne Fitzpatrick, president of The Polling Company
>    http://www.politicalchicks.com/kellyannefitzpatrickoped/
>
> > It would more or less mean that women would sleep around
> > and have kids.  Like they do today.   In California and other
> > such states, abortion would be legal.  Even liberals would
> > have to confess that little had changed.  And the supreme
> > court would be free to make lots of other conservative decisions
> > that would escape attention because the liberals would be
> > gnashing their teeth over Roe V. Wade.
>
> Even passage of a ban on partial-birth abortion would do
> a lot to take that issue off the table, politically, to the
> annoyance of both extremes.
>
> > Another point I want to make: There is now hope.  The rules
> > really do apply to the left (at least sometimes) now.  That
> > must drive them insane.
>
> It does, it does. Oh, it does!  :-)

> Heh, heh. Soak The Rich populism and crying about
> Social Security just didn't have the ol' magic for algore.
> The environment has changed. IMO neither the political
> Left or Right has figured out the new 'rules'.

> > > Private sector?  I've heard that not only does Tennesse
> > > NOT want Alpha back but Tennessee Taco Bell has
> > > said they won't hire him.
> >
> > I'm sure he'll do lots of speeches for liberal colleges
> > talking about the wonders of $8 a gallon gasoline
> > and living in trees.
>
> No doubt. Meanwhile, there's not a lot of joy in California
> over the shortage of electricity and the jump in prices
> for natural gas and electricity. The author of _Earth In The
> Balance_ should be *ecstatic*. He didn't dare show it
> during the campaign though. Why not? Heh, heh. Gee,
> those industries with union workers need electricity.
> Even government employees get sent home during
> Stage 2 alerts where I live. Without pay. Makes 'em

Serves 'em right for supporting eco-fascists.

> > Someone has said that all new presidents will come out of
> > western and southern states.  New York, Pennsylvania, and
> > even California did not decide this election.  I'm sure
> > that's driving them crazy as well.
>
> California Governor Gray Davis, a Democrat, may already
> have a terminal case of the "I can be President" disease.
> We shall see. BTW, George Deukmejian was the only
> California Governor in my lifetime who *didn't* try running
> for President (tho' to be fair, Pat Brown ran as a favorite
> son candidate rather than as a serious contender for the
> nomination of his party). Out of all of 'em, only Ronald
> Reagan even got as far as winning his party nomination.
>
> > Ok, I gloat.  I fess up.
>
> Feels good, doesn't it?
>
> However, I'm telling my political friends, "Don't get
> carried away". It could all change with the coming
> collapse of the clinton economy.
>
> ---
>    God save capitalism from capitalism's defenders!
>    Nobody can defeat us now except the Republicans.
>
>    Ayn Rand
>    quoted by Chris Matthew Sciabarra in,
>    "Rand the Living" originally published in Reason
>    http://www.reasonmag.com/9511/RANDbk.html

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Serial port
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:57:14 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, mu6sys
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:23:36 +0200
<91iev4$87g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Linux, serial ports are labeled /dev/ttySn (n=0 to 3, or
even more), and can be opened much like any other file.
You'll also want to look at termios if you want to do fancy things.

One can also log into a serial port by using getty (by editing
/etc/inittab); 'man getty' for details.  It may be old
technology, but it's kinda cool, especially if one has an
old terminal lying around.

Or one can use minicom to dial out.

The Serial-HOWTO should be informative as to how to set all this up.
One thing it may have left out, though -- 16650s are 16550s, but
the one I have has a hardware-jumperable divisor; you'll have to
use setserial to reset the divisor speed or you'll get nothing useful,
if you set the jumper to something non-standard.  (I did and had
to tweak with this a bit.)

Anyway, good luck -- whatever your question was. :-)

                    up 84 days, 17:23, running Linux.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 23:37:06 +0200

"Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:91laut$1t0s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The lively uptimes discussion going on in another thread brought up a few
> questions for me that are best to be in another thread.  So here goes.
>
> I kept hearing Windows sys admins tell me that a properly setup server
with
> Windows is as stable as any Unix server.  Okay,  for sake of argument,
I'll
> accept that.  So the real question is, what constitutes a "properly setup"
> Windows server?

Don't get near the 9x line, for a start.

> Clearly, it isn't that way when installed just out of the
> box.  If that were there wouldn't be all of the problems that so many
> complain about.

That is hardly the case for server situations.
I can hardly think of a case beyond the most simple one where you don't
change server configurations to optimize it for your needs.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: i LOVE this- the auther is a genius
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 23:44:16 +0200

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:91ltuq$lp5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> based on my typing skills for the subject im not the 'auther' of the
> >> article, lol

> > <sigh> Gates doesn't have a conscience, huh?
>
> > Never mind the billions he's given away in the name
> > fo world heath standards and lessening the suffering
> > of millions around the world.
>
> He actually hasnt given away "billions".  Hes given away
> "millions", and lets be reminded that the entire thing was
> a tax deduction.
>
> > Let's also not mention that he has contributed hundreds
> > of millions to local childrens and children-benefit organizations
> > around the country to support inner-city and underprivileged children.
>
> It actually hasnt been hundreds of millions.  Chad, once again, has his
> figures completely incorrect.
>
> Lets see some numbers behind the statements chad, please?
>
> For once?

http://www.africanewswire.com/annews/categories/botswana/story3182.shtml
http://fdncenter.org/pnd/19980121/001901.html
http://www.iclinic.co.za/dec99/polio7.htm
http://www.sgn.org/Archives/sgn.5.14.99/
http://kids.infoplease.lycos.com/ce6/people/A0820311.html
http://allafrica.com/stories/200008180172.html

It's only what a quick search in Google turn out, but it sums in Billions
with a capital B.