Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 18:13:39 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > John Hasler wrote:

> >> Make that "_a_ dictionary definition": at best an approximation.  I (an
> >> atheist) prefer this definition: "one who denies the existence of your
> >> imaginary friend while not claiming to have one of his own".

> >> "Does not believe" is not "believes not".
>
> > Geeze, you're as dogmatic as the people you deride.
>
> Uh, fella, this is as basic a piece of modal logic as one can get.
>
> You seem to be unaware of the logic of modalities like belief, proof,
> necessity, obligation, and so on. Id normally direct you to the
> library, but let's try ...
>
> Basically the logical operators "belief" and "not" do not commute, OK?
> I gave you a clearer example of how that can happen using Goedels proof
> operator ("prove not" != "not prove"), but the same goes for modal
> operators like belief, obligation, and so on.
>
> Now you know what the subject area is called - it's an important and
> large one - you can look it up.

you can stop trying.  it is a lost cause.  as far i can determine,
aaron r kulkis is a write-only device.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Hank Barta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux is dieing
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 18:18:57 GMT

    Or perhaps more accurately, my hard drive is dieing. It began making
    loud whining sounds a couple of days ago. I tried to get one last
    backup, taring an image to the local disk to transfer to another
    system. But it was too late. There are too many disk errors to
    complete this.

    Surprisingly, the system is still up and running, providing
    firewalling and IP Masquerading services for my home LAN connection
    to the Internet. I wonder how long it can continue to operate? It has
    remounted the root file system read only (and the swap device is on
    the same drive.) I guess I'll have to wait and see. I'll get no more
    logging since the logs are on a RO file system. On the other hand,
    it should be a bit more secure since it will be *real* hard for an
    intruder to actually accomplish anything.

    The drive began failing when uptime was 28 days and it is now at 30
    days (and the whining has somewhat subsided.)

--
Hank Barta                              White Oak Software Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
From: G3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 18:19:22 GMT

in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Rick at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote
on 2/4/01 9:11 AM:

> Actually, the reason Jobs was fired was becasue he was destroying Apple
> from the inside. The Newton was developed without him, as well as the
> slooted MAcs and the color Macs. As fo Apples original originality, he
> didnt creatie it. He recognized and marketed it.

Not so my friend. He was fired because he was creating strife between the
then important Apple ][ division and the Mac division.  Scully saw him as a
loose cannon and sacrificed him to save his own ass.  Yes color came after
jobs (though I'm sure color would have been on his to do list), though
you're right that Jobs was against: Fans, Slots, Multibutton Mice.
(Interestingly the iMac has none of those...)  the first mac had no hard
drive not because Jobs didn't want mass storage, he didn't want a loud
annoying fan which the hard drive required. Had Apple at least been smart
enough to keep a stake in NeXT (which Jobs had offered them every chance to
do) then they would have killed Microsoft in 89 since NeXTStep did then
everything NT can just barely do now. (Yeah yeah color was STILL an issue
but NeXT did get into color eventually.)

>> Gates is hardly a visionary.  He stole a couple good ideas who's creators
>> didn't stick around long enough to fight him on it.  Now he has money and
>> when you have money everyone and their cat will SAY your a genius but the
>> fact is the guy got lucky.  MOST people doing what gates did would have
>> ended up in Jail.
>>
>> As for Michael Dell he is an arrogant idiot.  He is the same gentlemen who
>> said Apple should just give the money back to the share holders and call it
>> quits in 96.  Since then they've given a lot of money back to the investors
>> and none of it from closing its doors.  Also Dell continues to run itself
>> solely on the merits of INTELS success, every BAD quarter Dell has had has
>> been because INTEL couldn't ship them enough high end processors, Gateway
>> and Compaq have suffered the same, but have done a lot more to diversify
>> their business.  In 5-10 years Dell will be dead and little more than a
>> memory of the "Personal Computer Era".
>
> Dell dead soon? I dont think so. Dell is actively looking into other OS
> options (Linux is one).

Michael Dell is an arrogant sod.  He might be able to lead a successful
company during good times but I don't believe he has the smarts to do it in
an ear where the PC is changing dramatically.

Linux is a joke.  It lacks the consumer friendliness for consumers, and it
lacks the support of a Microsoft OS in the enterprise market.  It's a
programmers toy OS.  Now mac OS X is a different story, it has support AND
user friendliness AND all the UNIX warm fuzzies.  I'm quite optimistic about
it.

-G3

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: More Mandrake Fun :(
Date: 5 Feb 2001 04:21:38 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>>Fortunately, the things uses Netscape as a frontend, and thus the backend
>>creates simple HTML pages. So simply writing a small wrapper around that
>>backend, installing a web server on that Windows box, and putting the
>>wrapper into the cgi-bin directory means that I am *using* the EB from
>>linux. I just have to have a 486 box somewhere on the network running
>>Windows.

>Buy a program, then have to write a program so you can use it.
>Makes sense to me :(

I didn't buy a program. I bought the complete, unabridged text of one
of the best Encyclopedias in the world.

Also, not only can I now browse that encyclopedia, but I can do so
with any web browser I bloody damn well like. And as it happens, the
browser I tend to bloody damn well like is lynx, because for browsing
text it is very efficient and can be completely controlled with the
keyboard.

Overall, I am quite happy with both the purchase and the way I can use
it. For a couple of weeks, I was using it with Netscape under Windows,
the way a default install works --- the text was still great, but the
user interface plain sucked!

Of course, what I'd *really* like to have is a WAIS server that can handle
the EB files (which *are* a WAIS database). That would open the way to
considerably more flexible searches....

Bernie
--
Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with
    what happens to him.

------------------------------

From: Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler predictions...
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 13:52:02 -0500

>"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:

> | "Curtis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> | news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
| >> Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
| >>
| >>      «--snip--»
| >>
| >> I'm sure you're speaking about a recent version of Mandrake. Try Win2k
| >> and you'll be equally stunned.
> |
> | I run Win2K Professional and there's no comparison....
> | Mandrake wins, hands down, for hardware detection.

Do you still have to select your display adapter and monitor?

--
Curtis

|         ,__o
!___    _-\_<,    An egotist thinks he's in the groove
<(*)>--(*)/'(*)______________________ when he's in a rut.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   (ROT13 scrambled)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: reality check:  Linux, WAAAY  too much diddling
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 19:09:26 GMT

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 17:30:51 -0500, "Default User"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

>- Encrypted DVD's are still bitchy.
>
>- The install of OpenGL drivers was a real chore, quite a few system reinstalls here.
>Every 'read-me' was screwed up, including         Nvidia's. The RPM's did not work,
>but the .tar's did. Why was not these drivers shipped with RH7 ? If you have a
>GeForce you likely will be using OpenGL, or "GLX".
>
>- the nvidia driver install breaks the monitor setup utility.
>
>- changing my monitors refresh to 117 Hz has eluded me so far. 85 Hz default is
>marginal.
>
>+ Unreal Tournament runs (fine with only 40 - 50 % kernel, ( vs. 100% in win-DOS))
>after editing a hidden config file. FPS about the same.
>
>-  Quake3 runs a bit choppy, I had to get it out. I get 100 + FPS in win-DOS. No
>flexibility in choosing install location, it had to be /usr/games/...
>
>- I did not try to get the Promise card to work, as my Linux HDD is only a ATA-33.
>The PCI parameters ahs to be added manually to a config file. Hasn't anyone though of
>a shell-script that would automate this ?
>
>- I have "the better"  font-package but IE 5.50 still blows Netscape away.
>
>- A config file is needed to make the scroll mouse work, there's a web-site dedicated
>to this as well.
>
>- StarOffice 5.2 will not accept Sun's own Java runtime environment (under Linux)
>!!!. A MS WORD document with both pictures AND graphs AND text will get scrambled
>together, I guess the OLE is broken in StarOffice. StarOffice is slow to open,
>perhaps it opens too many apps at startup. With some polishing it could be a good
>office package.
>
>- reading helps a lot, but oftentimes the "read-me" are out of date, inapplicable to
>your distro, or jus plain wrong. I've been trying to install a new "back-end" for my
>USB-scanner, no read-me is even available. Most programmer for Linux assume everyone
>using Linux is another programmer. Check out all available headers on Linux news
>groups, I think you'll fine 17 million postings from people with desire to make this
>OS work.
>
>- bloatware, Bill Gates would envy this package, 1.1 gig for RH7.
>I don't have a modem, or ISDN terminal, why does the installer insist
>on putting a bunch of crap in ? Every video card driver under the >sun,
>Japanese and Vietnamese and who know what else pour in. Yes I can
>uninstall a bunch of it, but why have this shit in there and not the
>kernel source that's actually needed?
>
>- And yes I have had hard lock-ups in Linux from my sound-card just like in Windows,
>requiring a re-boot. A config file setting can fix this.
>= Two good things, Unreal Tournament may work better, the Gimp is a very nice,
>and free, photo-editing program.
>
>I have no problems with Win98 crashing,
>the people that do should blame the application that crashes. Keep
>"drwatson" running and trap the stack-dumps and send `em to the >program maker.
>

>AOL and Windows9x will be around for a looong time.

Welcome to the joy of Linux my friend.
Yes LINUX!!!
The operating system that has you do all the operating.

Hopefully you didn't waste too much time on it.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The 130MByte text file
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:16:02 +0000

. wrote:

> WHOOOAAAA youve got us all THERE, pete!
>
> Please, please put your intellect away before you hurt someone.

I'm so sharp, I cut myself sometimes. Oh, icky poo! Blood!!!

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:18:18 +0000

Mig wrote:

> > Ah yes, but of course! That's it! That's why a 130MByte text file loads
> > on Windows and hangs on Linux. Yes! That's it!
>
> Now youre lying... it did hang on Windows with wordpad... you wrote that!

Nope, I said WordPad crashed. Word thrashed away merely, but at no time did
it hang the system.

> If your intention was to say that Linux did hang then youre either stupid
> or dont understand the issues.. You also wrote that you had a ping reply
> from the Mandrake box. How could it reply when it was virtually dead?

How come FTP didn't respond?

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:20:38 +0000

Michael J. Burns wrote:

> This has been discussed before.  I tried to threaten and then recover my
> Caldera 1.1 system (released in spring of 1997) using that technique.  The
> system became quite slow, but was recoverable as follows.

As Mandrake places no limits on the number of processes, my system was very
flooded with forked children forking more children. Result - the console
prompt did not respond. So I had to reboot.

> 7. End the crisis by entering "killthis crash" in a console.
>
> I did not bother rebooting after this little exercise.  Aren't newer
> releases of Linux just as robust?

I couldn't type in any commands, the shell wasn't responding.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound a networks
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:26:50 +0000

Tom Wilson wrote:

> As a developer, tinkering comes as natural to me. There are times, though,
> that I like things to happen unassisted... It's just that when they do,
> under Windows, they happen in a way that's diametricaly opposed to the
> desired result. Windows has made me very paranoid.

I like to tinker on Windows, prodding the new 'features' they've added and
then wondering why they haven't understood KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

> And I do so hate that paper clip <g>

Since I'm cat mad, I like the animated cat. Completely pointless but highly
amusing.

> Hmmm, 7.2 recognized my SB16 PCI with no difficulties. Of course, I had to
> run soundconfig. No manual tweeking needed done, though. The same went for
> my older box with the SB16 ISA card. That was the thing that actually
> impressed me where Mandrake was concerned. It did a very thorough job of
> identifying all the bits and pieces. Even the ATA100 controller was
> recognized.

Yes, 7.2 recognised the SB16 I seem to remember. It did a better job on my
old machine recognising the ATA100 controller I added, unlike MSDOS that
couldn't use. Unfortunately, I couldn't make other things work, so I
installed Windows Millenium instead.

> I never really attempted to use it. The last "upgrade" I applied was the
> Win3.11 to Win95 one. That little experience pretty much cured me of
> upgrade installs. For grins and giggles, I may try to run 7.2's upgrade
> install over, say 6.0, just to see what happens. (Assuming free time
> permits)

Early Windows upgrades weren't particularly stable, but the later ones have
been pretty reasonable.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DOS2Unix
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:28:08 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >How can you not love Linux?
>
> Generally about an hour or so of using it is enough for most users to
> hate it.

I'm still using it, I don't hate it. But then I'm not in love with Windows
either.

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 20:48:02 +0100

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Mig wrote:
>
> > > Ah yes, but of course! That's it! That's why a 130MByte text file
> > > loads on Windows and hangs on Linux. Yes! That's it!
> >
> > Now youre lying... it did hang on Windows with wordpad... you wrote
> > that!
>
> Nope, I said WordPad crashed. Word thrashed away merely, but at no time
> did it hang the system.

You got ping replyes = system runs. Proof cannot be more clear than this
that Linux didnt hang. You should rather complain about XFree86 and not
Windows.

> > If your intention was to say that Linux did hang then youre either
> > stupid or dont understand the issues.. You also wrote that you had a
> > ping reply from the Mandrake box. How could it reply when it was
> > virtually dead?
>
> How come FTP didn't respond?

Have you a FTP server running? - I had to install one to do the test. You
wrote several times that it didnt install a telnet daemon and yet you
complained in another post ,that Linux hung your telnet client [running on
Windows]. You must admit that so many contradictions does not make you look
very truthfull.

Another problem is that you - a programmer /"IT professional" (Ahh... dont
forget Drestin :-) - do not seem to understand that a dead system CAN NOT
reply to pings or hang a telnet client on another machine. If it does then
it must be running.

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Desktop looks better on Win2k :-/
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 03:56:15 +0800

"Karel Jansens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Todd wrote:
> >
> > "Karel Jansens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Windows screen fonts do look better. The main reason for this is that
> > > both truetype fonts and the Windows font rasteriser are optimised for
> > > better screen performance.
> > >
> > > Linux (and UN*X in general) grew up with Type I fonts (*), which are
> > > hinted in favour of the hardcopy producing end. It's also probably
> > > related to X's distributed model: there really is no way of predicting
> > > on what kind of monitor the fonts will end up, so better play it safe
> > > and go for the lowest common denominator.
> > >
> > > If it is important to the user, there are ways to crank up linux
> > > screen fonts to (almost) the level of Windows. IIRC, Rod Smith has a
> > > couple of interesting web sites on that subject (I don't have the URLs
> > > here, but a Google search on his name should most likely turn them
> > > up).
> > >
> > > So in the end it boils down to a strategic decision: better looking
> > > screen or better looking printouts. As ever, take your pick and live
> > > long and prosper with it.
> >
> > Actually, no.
> >
> > Windows has built in fonts for printing, as well as the screen.  When
> > printing, Windows uses the 'print' fonts... so you still get superior
> > printouts as well.
> >

> That is a _very_ debatable statement. Personally, I find that TTF
> prints have a less finished look than Ghostscript output. Using
> Windows with ATM might be an improvement, but it's been a long time
> since I used that program (and that was in the days when HP's LaserJet
> II was a hot item). If you want the absolute, undisputed,
> use-it-and-forget-about-it best, ditch all of them and go for TeX.
>
> There is a reason why professional type artists hark a you when you
> mention TrueType.

Ummm... Windows doesn't necessarily *use* truetype when printing... re-read
my post.

-Todd

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 03:57:00 +0800

> Todd ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> >  <snip>
>
> Still doing the old intimidation routine, eh, Todd Needham?

Still getting my name wrong?

What a dumbass.

Try www.tkpowers.com

See the real todd.

Can't believe you have gotten this wrong so many damned times.

-Todd