From: David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Microsoft Stocks and your sanity...
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:14:17 +0100

[del]

>Then why are there more development tools for Windows than Linux? How is it

>I can buy a RAD tool on Windows but can't on Linux (not yet anyway).

JBuilder is RAD isn't it?
http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/foundation/download/linux.html

Privilege and Confidentiality Notice.
This e-mail and any attachments to it are intended only for the party to
whom they are addressed. They may contain privileged and/or confidential
information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and delete any digital copies and destroy any paper
copies.
Thank you.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Subject: Re: Linux advocate trapped inside a Windows Box
Date: 12 Jun 2000 22:41:10 GMT

On Sat, 10 Jun 2000 12:08:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>2.) My printer doesn't work!  I have a NEC SuperScript 870 (yes, one of
>those not-quite-postscript lasers) but I love it, and can't afford a
>true PS printer..

Mine works fine at 300x300 dpi (since that is what it can do in Laserjet II
emulation mode), but not at 600x600 (proprietary printer language).  I don't
love mine; I got stuck with it because the creeps I bought it from wouldn't
take it back.

Maybe the commercial version of CUPS has a driver.

Can't help you with the multimedia stuff as that kind of stuff doesn't
interest me much.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ohlsson)
Subject: Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux
Date: 14 Jun 2000 10:43:08 +0100

Pete Goodwin wrote:
>>Pete believes like I've said that Linux is going to wipe out Microsoft
>>soon. And it worries him.
>I don't believe that for one minute. Is this another ploy of Linux
>advocates - putting words into peoples mouths?

Some words of reality to all [l,w]invocates;
Linux is not going to wipe out Microsoft and Microsoft is not going
to wipe out Linux. Not in a long time if ever.

/Stefan
--
[ Stefan Ohlsson ] · http://www.mds.mdh.se/~dal95son/ · [ ICQ# 17519554 ]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ohlsson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Dealing with filesystem volumes
Date: 14 Jun 2000 11:07:41 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Try these:
>
>Why should the regular users have to know which volume contains their files.

You tell them? Just a thought...
"Home:" perhaps.

>If you have a volume that is being filled so you have to split the volume
>into three volumes.  Your current volume will remain and two additional
>volumes will be added and much of the contents of the old volume will be
>divided into the two new volumes.  With this volume identification method
>any and all references to the files that have been moved will have to be
>updated and you users would have to know were their files are now stored.

It might requre some extra thought, but with a good design it's hardly a
big problem.

[unix example snipped]

Example; the system disk is becoming full, I need to move all dynamic
libraries to another place (disk, partition, etc). I copy it over and
assign the new place the logical name (for example "LIBS:") and it's done.
I could also divide the place where the libraries reside and put all new
ones in the new place. Then I only have to assign the new place as LIBS:
also and the system will look in both places looking for a specific
library.
It's not just an idea, it's a system in use.

I have user the last option frequently not because of size issues, but for
the sake of modularity. When I installed a large package (IxEmul) with a
lot of libraries I installed everything in the same place and just added
references to it. That way I can 1) remove it by just deleting the entire
directory and remove the references and 2) upgrade it by just making a new
directory and install the new version there and alter the references. And
of course 3) disable it by just removing the references.

I'm not saying the unix way is bad, it's not, but I do say that other
solutions exist and they are not bad either.

>Using a name of a volume as part of a file spec, is a bad design with
>administration nightmares waiting in the wings.

Both (indeed all) methods have problems, deal with it.

/Stefan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ketil Nordstad)
Subject: Re: Run Linux on your desktop?  Why? I ask for proof, not advocacy  lies....
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:50:47 GMT

www.uniware.nl is running Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) PHP/3.0.14 on FreeBSD

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ketil Nordstad)
Subject: Re: Linux MUST be in TROUBLE
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:06:20 GMT

>The DTT 2500s have a DSP in them for surround expansion from a stero or
>front rear source. My issues with windows are when sometimes you drag a
>window and the sound suffers a very slight pause. I have been listening to
> music for a long time, so I notice it.
Yes, i know about this acustic functions in DTT2500. You can create
some sort delay/echo effects. Personaly i dont like this. And its not
surround in the movie/game meaning of the word.

>It is caused usually by a video
>card using automatic bus retries. I have contacted nvidia about this
>issues but they won't tell me how to disable that under windows. Under
>linux I do not have  that problem so the sound is a little cleaner due to
>that.

As we like to say to windows users. This is a hardware vendor issue,
not the OS. You may have this problem with your nvidia, my voodoo3
does not suffer from this issue. (as far as i remember, long time i
did use it in windows). Couple of years ago i had a problem like this
with a voodoo rush card. Luckily this issue was fixed with a later
driver release.

>The other problem under windows is a driver issue between my motherboard
>IDE controller and the soundblaster live dma features. Under heavy disk io
>the sound will start to crackle. I have found no fix for this under
>windows  except to disable dma. Under linux I don't have that problem. I
>have UDMA  enabled across all my drives and no sound distortation takes
>place under  high disk io. That is my other source for having cleaner
>sound.

I know. linux is great.. :)  This however has nothing to do with
clean/clear sound, like in better *quality*. Again a probably a
hardware issue, or a misconfiguration of windows.

>The driver I am currently using is the one that came with mandrake
>7.1 but, I will probably grab a new version from cvs soon and recompile it
>myself.

And that i can recomend. Im not sure if there is a new module since
mandrake 7.1 though. Since creative rename their snapshots everyday
its difficult to keep track on wheter these drivers are new or not.

The main thing about using live under linux is that my $200 sb live,
sound allmost the same as a $20 noname taiwan sb16 clone. Creatives
development has a long way to go before sblive sound the same under
windows and linux.

>I don't appreciate you saying my claims are untrue.

Since you didnt give a reason for your claims i assumed you very
making it up. I assumed wrong. Wont happen again.

>As you can see I have well reasoned opinions for why the sblive sounds
>better under linux then under windows under the load that I put it.
>Different people stress systems in different ways and on OS is not always
>the best OS in all conditions.

Windows 98 is a better gaming os that linux, no doubts about that.
Then again i rarly play games anymore so i prefer linux in everyway.
Also for the occational gaming session.

------------------------------

From: Martijn Bruns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Run Linux on your desktop?  Why? I ask for proof, not advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:14:56 +0200

Ketil Nordstad schreef:

> >Talk about ISP's.
> >I just made a homepage, and it had a false link in it. (I use a
> >plain-text editor :-) )
> >It looks like my ISP is using Apache/1.3.12! I wonder which OS
> >they use it with.
>
> www.uniware.nl is running Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) PHP/3.0.14 on FreeBSD

That's my homepage at work. How did you see that?
What does www.bart.nl run?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:18:54 +0200
From: Nico Coetzee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> So exactly how is Linux going to unseat the already 90 or more percent
> of home/SOHO/desktop users from Windows and entice them into running
> Linux?

Time... All in good time. Remember there is still plenty workstations
running Win3x. It is especially these machines that are likely to be
Linux condenders with X. The company will then have minimal hardware
upgrade concerns, but still recieve the latest and greatest Linux can
offer.

> How about Office suites?
>
> Sure StarOffice is free, it is free for Windows users also but
> virtually nobody uses it. Why is that? MSOffice carries a hefty price
> tag but is still the standard by which all office suites are gauged.
> Why is that?
> Figure it out for yourself.

The Office price tag will eventually be the reason for its fall. Even in
South Africa people are looking with new eyes at products like Corel
Office - which is now also available for Linux. Personally I have
installed various copies of StarOffice on peoples PC's. So far about 90%
of them sticks with the app. One reason is that they can still do all the
things they want. It is true that MS Office have features not yet
supported by other suites, but the reverse is also true.

> How about hardware support.
>
> Still using that Daisywheel printer? Dot-Matrix job you bought at an
> IBM fleamarket? I doubt it. Today's PC's come with state of the art
> hardware built in to the system. Sure some of it (modem?) might be Win
> hardware, but who really cares? It works...
>
> Try that same combination under Linux and see what happens.

Maybe you should have read my previous post in this ng before posting
this part... lol

> How about all that fine software that was included with the price of
> your Walmart special PC. Guess what!! It won't work with Linux!!!! So
> you have to try and acquire equivalent versions of everything near and
> dear to you.

SuSe, I hear, comes with over 4GB's worth of software on a DVD disk. So
if the SW on the Walmart PC don't work you just find a similar product
under Linux and install that.

> Let's talk ISP's.
>
> Talk to Earthlink, Worldnet, FreeWeb, AOL, Compuserv and see what they
> think of Linux.
>
> Try it yourself and see. Hint,,,,they are not happy......

I am sure they are not the only ISP's... Again we have the luxury to
choose.

> How about Napster, Digital Audio, Digital Video and so forth. Think
> the best programs and hardware are supported under Linux?
>
> Think again....
>
> Windows has all the major players and Linux has nothing but a pile of
> promises.
>
> Come to think about it Linux is all about promises and no
> deliveries....
>
> Point is there is absolutely no reason to run Linux on your desktop
> unless you are too cheap to buy a real operating system.
>
> And again, isn't your time worth something?
>
> Run Windows and come home to the family......

Happy computing on your WinCrash Box. I will stick to Linux, thank you!

Nico Coetzee

--
==============
The following signature was created automatically under Linux:

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: G4 in space!
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:12:27 +0100

>   Sounds like this StrongARM processor of yours is the right answer,
> regardless of the question or if it has already been answered. Coming
> from a non-UK address, it would have sparked my interest. From an UK
> address, it is perfectly understandable.

Actually, I don't (and,. unfortunately probably won't) own a strong arm
based computer. Mabey the processor will start to spread a bit now INTeL
is behind it.

-Ed

--
The day of judgement cometh. Join us O sinful one...

http://fuji.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/cult/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper)
Date: 14 Jun 2000 11:15:09 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:56:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So I type in Wordperfect and it works?
>

> I think not.......

I imagine Wordperfect Office 2000 installs links in the KDE menus.

> This is exactly the reason why Linux is dying fast...

If Linux is gaining market share, applications and games are being
ported to it, and distros are getting more and more powerful, how is it
possible that Linux is dying?  Oh, I forgot, we're talking Steve-logic
here.

--
Darren Winsper (El Capitano) - ICQ #8899775
Stellar Legacy project member - http://www.stellarlegacy.tsx.org

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:16:59 +0100

Jim wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Jim wrote:

> > > I love it when someone has the actual chutzpah to second guess folks
> > > who
> > > have obviously _done the research_ and _know what they are doing_  and
> > > are _backing it with their bucks_ to the point of calling it "a bit dim
> > > witted!" Nothing dim witted about that, is there, either as a response
> > > or as what must surely be the oxymoron of the day?
> >
> > Researchers do not always know best. I go to a university (look at my
> > e-mail address, it ends in .ac.uk),
>
> Thanks for the usenet lesson, but you don't need to go to a university
> in the .uk to know where you posted from.
>
> > and some researchers do some pretty
> > dim things once in a while.
>
> No argument there.
>
> [snip some irrelevant ancient history]
>
> And thirdly, if people don't question other peoples actions then who the
> hell will?
>
> I'll guess with you--chimps? Dolphin? I hear parrots are fairly
> intelligent.
My chioce goes with domestic pigs. it seems that they can be very
intelligent.

> Fourthly, can we agree that "a bit dim witted" is an oxymoron?
>
> Fifthly, you've _still_ said nothing which demonstrates that you did
> anything other than "shoot from the hip" to comment about something
> which _obviously_ is not "dim witted." Such potshots can occasionally
> come close to the mark, if the shooter has had lots of practice. You
> need a "bit" more.

It was more than shooting from the hip.
Satellites are best if they need less power. It meand they need fewer
batteries, and fewer solar panels. That reduces weight, so less fuel
needs to be carried. The satellite becomes lighter and cheaper.

It sounds to me (a bit) that this is a publicity stunt for Apple,
therefore it does not need to use the *best* stuff, only stuff that will
put apple in a good light.

-Ed

From: Brian Keener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 1st Linux PDA !!!:
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 07:17:58 -0400

Ingmar Greil wrote:

> Thus spake kd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > My 2 cents - Linux is a raging pain in the ass to get working right- its not
> > likely to have the right video drivers for x if you have a very new video
> > card
>
> Well. For _very_ new hardware, this might be correct, although new
> drivers usually are available very quickly. It's not quite fair,
> however, to eintirely blame this on linux -- they have to write their
> own drivers after all, lacking support from many hardware vendors
> (who, naturally, _do_ write windows drivers.)

Hell, it's getting to the point where brand-spanking-new video
cards/soundcards are a raging pain in the ass to get working right even
under WIndows, with crappy drivers and missing features right out of the
box...

Brian K

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:34:25 +0100

But it's such great hardware. Where else can you get an A20 gate style
thingy. They're absoloutly invaluable...

-Ed

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:40:43 +0100

.

> Congratulations! You've proved my point! Linux is lagging behind Windows!
> Linux is playing catchup! Thank you! Thank you!

You're such an idiot, you don't even know what you're saying! LOl!!
You said that linux was dead. You didn't say it was playing catchup.
Look in your sent-mail folder

-Ed

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:44:46 +0100

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cihl) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Note that these developments are mainly details. The main operation of
> >Linux is already far superior to anything Microsoft can offer. (not
> >that it's very hard to do that, but ok)
>
> That's a matter of opinion, and one I disagree with.
>
> >Linux development is proceeding MUCH, MUCH faster than Windows
> >development. Linux will overtake Windows sooner or later. There's no
> >way of stopping it.
>
> When?
>
> That is the big question. When is this miracle going to happen? Any time
> soon?
>
> Pete

It won't happen any time soon, in fact, now, it can never happen,
because it already has.

-Ed

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:50:22 +0100

Ketil Nordstad wrote:

> >The DTT 2500s have a DSP in them for surround expansion from a stero or
> >front rear source. My issues with windows are when sometimes you drag a
> >window and the sound suffers a very slight pause. I have been listening to
> > music for a long time, so I notice it.
> Yes, i know about this acustic functions in DTT2500. You can create
> some sort delay/echo effects. Personaly i dont like this. And its not
> surround in the movie/game meaning of the word.
>
> >It is caused usually by a video
> >card using automatic bus retries. I have contacted nvidia about this
> >issues but they won't tell me how to disable that under windows. Under
> >linux I do not have  that problem so the sound is a little cleaner due to
> >that.
>
> As we like to say to windows users. This is a hardware vendor issue,
> not the OS. You may have this problem with your nvidia, my voodoo3
> does not suffer from this issue. (as far as i remember, long time i
> did use it in windows). Couple of years ago i had a problem like this
> with a voodoo rush card. Luckily this issue was fixed with a later
> driver release.

Not exactly. the headware is at fault, yes. But with linux, he can get
around the faults, under windows he can't.

-Ed

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Windows WM
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:03:44 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I know I'll get flamed for this, but I really don't hate Microsoft.
> I've tried W2K, and while I think Linux is the more solid operating
> system, I think the W2K user interface is still the best in the
> business.  Gnome and KDE have gone a long way towards giving Linux
> people a slick, polished desktop environment to use, but overall, I
> think MS still has the edge as far as interface goes.  It's by far the
> most flexible,
       ^^^^^^^^
I don't agree with most of what you say, but those are just my opinions.
But as to flexibility, surely you are joking? The range of WMs for X
provides far more flexibility for an interface than Windows does. I
don't care much for bulky featureful WMs - I prefer lightweight ones
that get in the way as lillt as possible (which is why I like FVWM2).
Under an X system, you can configure it to be a nuce bulky featureful wm
(like Gnome), or a lightweight one like Fvwm. You don't have that
flexibility under windows.

-Ed

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:08:40 +0100

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Salvador Peralta) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >As for your benchmarks... I'm not sure what applications you are
> >running.  When it comes to server-side publishing chores, image
> >manipulation, filehandling/databasing, and data-extraction they are all
> >built better, faster, and cheaper with linux than nt.  I haven't seen
> >anything that outperform gnu / open source for vertical software for
> >enterprise or commercial software to handle log analysis, customer
> >response, mail-list management, hypertext document formatting, etc.
>
> POVray is a photo realistic scene generator. It uses floating point
> heavily. Dhrystone does heavy integer maths. Yet in both cases, Linux ran
> the same tests slower than Windows.

I'm guessing here, but I assume POVRay is a CPU bound process and does
little in the way of system calls. If this is the case, then it is the
compiler, not linux that is at fault. If it is important ot you then go
and buy a commercial compiler for linux, if it has better benchmarks.

The other thing may be that you have loads of processess running in the
background.
ps aux
and
kill -9