From: Rex Ballard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: OEM Windows licenses not transferable to charities
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:34:01 GMT

==============E0D99F0EDFEF793AF4511F15

Dave Martel wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:54:55 -0500, "Erik Funkenbusch"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >To my knowledge (and my OEM license doesn't say so) MS does NOT void the
> >liscense if you give a machine to charity.  Just because someone writes it
> >on a web site doesn't mean it's true.
> >
> >If it's not in the EULA, then it's not in the license.

Actually, Eric is correct here.  In theory, a corporation may be able
to give the license with the machine.  Of course, if they have
purchased
new machines to replace old machines, they may have to choose between
including the license with the donated machine and forfeiting the
right
to discounted "Upgrades", or they may choose remove the license.

Very large corporations have restrictions on the licenses because they
have a set number of licenses for the corporation, say 100,000
licenses.
If the charity gets 5,0000 machines, the corporation must now purchase
new licenses to cover the new machines.  These corporate licenses are
governed by a negotiated contract rather than just the EULA.

Keep in mind that Microsoft doesn't want low volume users getting
corporate
discounts on their software.  In some cases, when it's politically
expedient,
such as when Bill Gates gets to stand next to the President, Microsoft
will
donate some Windows licenses, usually only a few hundred copies, so
that
they can appear to have donated several thousand dollars worth of
software
to these organizations.

> Just because a wintroll says it ain't true doesn't mean it isn't,
> either. We'll see if any linux people here can shed more light on the
> author's statement.

The terms of negotiated licenses are rarely, if ever made public.
It's part
of the terms for the negotiated agreement.  This usually also includes
giving
Microsoft complete control of all press releases that even mention
Microsoft.

For example, if a company tried Linux, and loved it, they could only
publish their favorable experience if they made absolutely NO mention
of Microsoft in a direct quote, and did not respond to any questions
about Microsoft usage.  Otherwise, Microsoft would have the option
of rewriting the article, or killing it entirely.

> Here's another good one. I haven't looked into the numbers but it's
> fun to contemplate:
>
> <http://www.aaxnet.com/topics/nightmare.html>

An interesting link.

> "Microsoft is widely thought to have no debt. This is very far from
> the truth, but this debt, due to a loophole in GAP (Generally Accepted
> Accounting Practices) is not on the books. It is, however, just as
> real."
>
> "Microsoft's debt is in the form of employee stock options. Through
> most of its history, Microsoft has paid employees much less than other
> companies, and made it up by issuing stock options. These options have
> made many Microsoft employees very wealthy - on paper."

This actually creates an interesting problem.  Since employees have
high
net worth, but no liquid assets, they have no trouble getting approved
for a Mercedes, but can quickly get buried under the burden of car
payments.

When you drive in the Seattle/Belleview area, you have to be very
clever
when making lane changes.  If you are driving a rental car, and you
signal
for a lane change, you will often see a very expensive car pulling up
right
next to the rear wheel of your car.  It's happened to me about 20
times.
The best I can figure is that the owner is sick of making car
payments,
figures that since you're driving a rental that your corporation will
cover the damage, and it will be nearly impossible to prove that you
were being cut-off instead of just turning into his lane.

> "The problem here is simple - eventually the stock options have to be
> paid off in Microsoft stock. Should the value of that stock be in
> decline, with little hope of recovering soon, employees who's options
> are vested would be wise to exercise them and cash out. Microsoft has
> barely enough cash reserves to cover that possibility."

Unfortunately, the shares are sold on the open market.  This dilutes
the
value of the stock, but only by a percentage of the whole price.
Bill,
Steve, and Paul all dumped millions of shares in 1998 and 1999, the
share
value dropped very slowly.  Most people blamed the DOJ, but the stock
was actually being diluted in value.

> "For a lot more material, including charts, check out the site of
> financial analyst Bill Parish, particularly Microsoft Financial
> Pyramid <http://www.billparish.com/msftfraudfacts.html>".
>
> "In the recent Microsoft stock slide, the company had to do something
> to keep this from happening. If they revalued the options, they would
> greatly anger outside investors who have no such protection, but if
> they didn't cover the loss in option value they could have a sell off,
> causing further decline in stock value, absorbing their cash reserves,
> and starting an exodus of key employees."

Actually, many key employees have liquidated already.  Many have even
left the company.  Paul Allen even gave up his seat on the Board of
Directors.

> "Microsoft compensated for loss of options value by issuing a lot more
> options to current option holders. While this staved off the immediate
> problem, it creates even more long term exposure."

Keep in mind that even if 1/2 the shares were sold on the open market,
the
price would logically drop by 1/2.  This actually happened to Red Hat
when
they went for a second IPO within months of their first.  It had the
same
effect as a stock split, but without giving the old investors two
shares
for their one.  The law of supply and demand is even in effect in the
stock
market.

--
Rex Ballard
It Architect

begin:vcard
n:Ballard;Rex
tel;cell:908-723-4008
tel;work:973-723-4008
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fn:Rex Ballard
end:vcard

==============E0D99F0EDFEF793AF4511F15==

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft and McCartheism
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:35:12 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:23:25 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Brent R wrote:

> >> Have you been taking USENET lessons from Kulkis?
> >>
> >> One of the first signs of an angry 30-something living in his mom's
> >> basement
> >

> >I moved out of the house at age 17.
>
> Court order

Really?  Do you have a docket number ?

> >I have been a productive citizen since the age of 10
>
> paper route

Damn straight.  Up every morning at 4:30 AM, even in the midst of
the some of the worst blizzards in Michigan (my first year, we had
3 blizzards in 2 months)

> >I owned oil company stock at the age of 12 (purchased with paper route money)
>
> "love" oil

Crystal Oil, Shreveport, Louisiana.

> >I've been in combat...have you?
> >

> Internal conflict: ID vs. SuperEgo

Gulf war. 1991

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux is paralyzed
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:49:57 +0100

> But I have never seen any computer being sold in a retail outlet "PC
> World"

This is for the same reason most companies who supply windows PC's won't
supply linux PC's - MS OEM agreements mean they have to pay MS for one copy
of windows for every PC sold - if they sell you a linux PC they still have
to pay MS for one copy of windows they didn't actually supply which makes
linux PC's more expensive (check prices for companies who supply both and
you will see - often they will even charge more for PC with no OS than for
windows). The only suppliers without this problem are the ones who don't
support windows and they can charge same for Linux, FreeBSD or no OS.

> The reason being its just too difficult to configure for retailers and I
> doubt if they could handle the problems that come with Linux.

See above.

> EIDE is just one of many problems that you encounter with Linux.
> EIDE based CD Writers cheaper and more common than SCSI  but all Linux
> distributions seem to only cater for SCSI.

Suse (and Redhat from experence) may have this problem but this doesn't
mean they all do - Mandrake works correctly straight after installing.

> This means you have to implement SCSI emulation..
> Why ?

Because this is the definition of ATAPI - SCSI commands being sent over IDE
bus. The emulation is done on the drive, not by the OS.

> Why can't this all be done for the user it's a known problem?

I agree - if mandrake can solve this then why can't SUSE or Redhat as
Mandrake have probably GPL'd their detection code anyway.

> This is just one of many problems with Linux and why it will die just like
> OS2.

There is one good reason why OS2 died - when Win95 was released MS refused
to give IBM an OEM licence until they stopped selling OS2 - they even
threatened to give IBM an audit and charge them a lot of money for any
copies of DOS and WIN3.1 that IBM supplied but they couldn't account for
properly. MS also used the same trick to try to kill off IBM's Lotus
Smartsuite package - IBM had to Delay release of Smartsuite till certain
time after an MS office release to avoid losing OEM licence on the OS.

MS have also used this nasty business practice on apple - they threatened
to stop production of MS office for mac unless Apple installed IE on all
machines.

Subject: Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew J. Brehm)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 00:36:17 +0200

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Andrew J. Brehm" wrote:

> > The corporation that provides my phone line has the same power (and
> > right) to demand that I pay for it as the state that provides my
> > education, protection, and social security.
>

> Actually, they have more of a right.  You can CHOOSE to recieve their
> service, in exchange for payment, or not.

Yes.

> Conversely, the government comes and raids your paycheck regardless
> of whether they provide any useful benefit to you or not.

No. I can choose to live elsewhere and not use their services.

> > If I don't like the phone service I will either pick a different
> > corporation or move to some place where another corporation provides
> > phone lines.
>
> There's your solution.

I don't need it. I am satisfied.

Both both the government and the phone company.

--
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:36:56 -0400

Richard Thrippleton wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dave Martel wrote:
> <snip>
> >The register's so much fun though! Those guys write more in the
> >flaming spirit of Usenet.
> >
> >Whatever slant anyone puts on this story, there's still that
> >not-so-hidden threat that current MS customers who buy empty systems
> >so they can load them up with linux are risking the disruption and
> >possible expense of an MS audit of their Windows systems.
> >
>         Maybe I'm being a bit naive/ignorant here, but how do MS have the
> right to inspect anybody's PC just because they bought it without Windows??
> I was under the impression that only the police could obtain forced search
> rights.....

Personally, if I owned a business, and the BSA showed up to inspect
*my* equipment, then I would have ARMED security personnel detain
them until the police arrive to have them booked for tresspassing.

> Richard

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:37:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Edward Rosten
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 28 Apr 2001 11:03:08 +0100
<9ce0vb$qho$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>>Sorry. I stand corrected.
>>>
>>>Well, enev better :-)
>>
>> Erm, I seem to have missed something here....clusters of what?
>>
>> S/390 nodes?  Beowulf project?  Transputer??
>>
>> I'm genuinely curious now.
>
>I'm not sure. If you look in the top 500 you'll see clusters of Linux
>boxes in there. They might be Alpahs.
>
>IIRC, transputer was not a cluster, it was 7 tightly coupled processors.

It was Amiga-related, that much I remember -- but it was the only
name that came to mind for some reason. :-)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random Amiga product here
                    Use the source, Luke.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 00:15:15 +0100

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > Lyx beats Word ANY day of the week.  Granted, I'm biased, having done a
> > maths degree.  Ever tried putting equations/obscure mathematical symbols
> > into Word?
>
> Ever tried writing a simple letter with Lyx. It's far easier with Word.

ANY text editor will do for a simple letter.  I use vi.
--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 00:18:56 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > I agree that LaTeX may not be the right tool for an office environment,
> > but LyX definitely is. A half-competent sysadmin with an old LaTeX guide
> > can set up a house style in one monday morning. The beauty is that a LyX
> > house style _will_ be used by the drones (they simply have no other
> > choice
> > - and if one of them does find out: Fire the old sysadmin and replace
> > him
> > with the smarter drone).
>
> I believe you can embed plain TeX/LaTeX in to a LyX document. There is
> nothing to stop an idiot doing something like
>
> \parsep \-5ex
>
> at the beginning of the document :-)
>
> -Ed
Why would an idiot think to type that?

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The upgrade
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:38:21 -0400

WesTralia wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > jim wrote:
> > >

> > > Unix is for Physics Majors and Chemistry teachers.
> >
> > .........and everybody else who has better things to do than scare
> > at a fucking blue screen with cryptic error messages about which you
> > can't do anything anyways...
> >

> Oh come on Aaron, are you telling me that after all these years
> you still do not understand the message, "It is now safe to turn
> off your computer"?

Got a reading comprehension problem there, WesTralia?

Error in VXD blah blah blah   is NOT "it is now save to turn off your computer"

> Is your Wintendo98 box just too much horsepower for ya?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux has one chance left.........
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:40:31 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> and it is a slim chance at that.
>
> The tide is changing rapidly and Linux had better get it's act
> together quickly or it runs the risk of being a has been real fast.
>
> While Win2k was very slow out of the starting gate, support and
> interest in this OS has been building steadily for the past year or so
> and in anticipation of XP people are now taking a second look at
> Win2k.
>
> In the DAW world the WDM drivers have reduced the Sound Card latency
> to 2ms or less which allows real time input monitoring including
> effects etc.

2 milliseconds latency for a card running on a 50 MHz bus is pitiful.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.