From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 02:09:26 GMT

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:54:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>That's what helpdesks were invented for....
>Every company worht it's salt has one, contracted out or not....

        Yup, and they have better things to do with their time than
        run around to every machine in the company to effect upgrades.

[deletia]

                                                                       / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: What's wrong with StarOffice
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 01:55:56 GMT

Or you can reach into your purse and buy WordPerfect Office 2000 for
Linux; it has TrueType font support and at a whole helluva lot less
drachmas than MSOffice.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Why Linux should be #1 choice for students!
Date: 15 Jun 2000 10:12:29 +0800

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:22:28 GMT,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  No-Spam wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:17:14 GMT,
>>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> ><snip>
>> >
>> >Actually, Linux should be the number 1 choice for students because
>you
>> >never stop learning. <shudder>
>> Hahaha, curious people never WANT to stop learning.
>
>For the record, I'm a linux newbie, so I'm not coming up with counter-
>arguments just for the sake of spreading MS fud.
Ok.

>> >In all seriousness, you're going to have a hard time convincing the
>> >average person who doesn't need to do any tricky formatting that it's
>> >better to write reports with LaTex than with Word.
>> Who would anyone do that ????????
>
>Why would anyone do what?
"Tricky formatting".
With Lyx, its just not necessary.

>> I've just convinved a Word *hating* writer, that Lyx is the way to go.
>> She loves Lyx now, its fast, and bug free.
>
>Heh, so you managed to preach to the converted. Congratulations.
No I didnt, shes a Long time Windows/Word user.

> What
>made her hate Word?
Slow, buggy, crashes, etc.

>> (Lyx is a GUI frontend for LaTex, no LaTex knowledge necessary)
>>
>> Oh one other thing she likes, the Lyx docs are not full of passwords
>and irc
>> channel names, etc !!
>
>Passwords aren't usually a problem unless the person starts fscking
>around with the different options under the Tools menu, which isn't
>standard newbie behaviour. As for irc channel names, you'll have to
>enlighten me.
Hey its a mystery to both of us. I always strip Word docs to text to read her
stuff, and they were plain to see in the txt. At first she didnt believe me,
but when I sent her the proof, she did as she recognised the irc channel
that she'd been on in 1996.

>> > Bugginess with
>> >templates and macros notwithstanding, Word's a pretty decent program
>if
>> >all you need to do is write a double-spaced, Times 12, footnoted and
>> >endnoted, page-numbered report using two different styles (one for
>body
>> >text, one for quoted text),
>> Hahahahah
>> Lyx does this, on a 486/100 quickly, and for FREE!
>
>And I had an earlier version of Word that did all this on a 386/33,
>too. However, I'll grant that you can't find that version in the stores
>anymore... (one of the reasons I don't like MS very much)
The constant upgrade path ?

>> > which I'm willing to bet is all the average
>> >non-science-oriented person would need to do for their thesis.
>> I'd agree too.
>>
>> > Word
>> >does all these pretty well. You could do way worse than strive for
>> >Word's usability at this level.
>> No you couldn't. Word costs $$$
>
>This point is moot if they already have it, which most students who own
>a computer do.
Conceeded.

>> is bloated, 1k text often becomes 30k Word
>> bloat doc.
>
>Granted. I've had a few novel-sized documents bloat over a floppy
>disk's capacity. That sucked.
Yeah it would.
Here are a couple of files of the same thing, one in Lyx, the same one
exported to plain ascii text.
 259 lines   1210 words  (user_manual.txt)

12092 user_manual.lyx
8185 user_manual.txt

Bigger but nothing like Word_bloat.doc

> Still, neither of your points do anything
>to take away from Word's usability.
Perhaps but some of yours do ;-)

Then I should have made some points about the OS on which it runs ?
;-)

> Decent manuals about Word are one
>hell of a lot easier to find than decent manuals about LaTex etc.
Yes, I agree, however the Lyx HELP is very comprehensive, and easy to use.
Tutourials, references etc.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux
Date: 15 Jun 2000 10:16:09 +0800

On 14 Jun 2000 20:36:42 -0500, Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:16:13 GMT,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>And you are missing the fact that folks want an end result, the
>>>easiest path between two points.
>>
>>      His end result is actually better than your "end result".
>>
>>>Ecommerce, E-Web, E-banking are all examples.
>>>
>>>Linux is an example of an operating system getting in the way time and
>>>time again.
>>
>>      That's why he can access his faxes from anywhere on the planet
>>      and you can't.
>
>PC anywhere  blows the pants off some stupid-ass shell script.
Hahahahaha
Kid get a clue willya ???

Welcome to my kill file Palmer, your ignorance is overwhelming.

Kind Regards
Terry
--
**** To reach me, use [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ****
   My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux, and has been
 up 1 day 15 hours 53 minutes

From: Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Subject: Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 19:18:30 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:08:34 -0700, Alan Baker
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote:

>>>     Yet despite of this, you have to seek out particular special
>>>     purpose apps to demonstrate the utility of various attempts
>>>     to hybridize the GUI. IOW, the core GUI is still just as
>>>     lame as it always has been. You can't even point to replacements
>>>     for more general purpose parts of the GUI.
>>
>>I didn't seek them out. I just happened to be using a program that
>>illustrates that such hybridizations are possible. And the core GUI is
>>so "lame" as you put it that more people are able to do more with
>>computers than have ever been able to before. This would simply never
>>have happened if CLIs had remained the primary interface.
>
>       That never stopped all those people that insisted on buying
>       DOS based PC's over Macintoshes.
>

>>I don't have to point to replacements. My argument -- my only argument
>>-- is that anyone willing to state that computers will never be capable
>>of something is being more than a little foolish given the history of
>>the thing.
>
>       There you are just plain wrong. The history of computers shows
>       stagnation, and in the case of Windows and MacOS an EXTREME
>       aversion to anything different. The "consistency" mantra is a
>       rather visible aspect of this. In some cases, GUIs are actually
>       moving BACKWARDS.

So according to you there haven't been major changes in the ways and in
the scope with which we use the computer?

>>>     Stated willingess to choose is a bit hollow in the absense of
>>>     any choices.
>>
>>Not at all. I can't be responsible that "the next big thing" hasn't come
>>along yet. I don't develop software (let alone GUIs). I was merely
>>countering your specious argument that people "like me" (you meant "such
>>as" BTW) will forego anything new or different. It just ain't so.
>>

>>>[deletia]
>>>
>>>     Your counterexamples only support our skepticism.
>>
>>Apparently so much so that you couldn't actually counter them with
>>anything except "[deletia]". Are you saying that the history of
>>computers is not littered with people saying things with absolute
>>certainty that later turned out to be nonsense? (people with a lot more
>>credibility than you and Josiah?
>>
>>How about (IIRC) the president of IBM: "There isn't a market for more
>>than 5 computers in all of the United States"
>>
>>or the president of Digital Equipment Corporation: "Why anyone would
>>want a computer on their desk is beyond me."
>>
>>Or Bill Gates: "640K out to be enough for anybody."
>>
>>To which august company I now nominate Josiah Fizer:
>>
>>"However there is not now nor will there ever be a GUI way to do 'ping
>>131.161.50.1 | grep "is alive"' etc."
>>
>>Do try and remember that this is the rather nonsensical statement that
>>started all this.
>
>       The fellow is still right.
>
>       There might exist a way, given a special purpose tool that someone
>       just might have had the foresight to construct, to a particular
>       task. However, the ability for a mere end user to do new and
>       interesting things with a few basic tools is still sorely lacking
>       from GUIs.

That may be, but to state that no GUI ever will be able to offer tools
that will let the end user do what CLIs do is incredibly shortsighted
and dumb.

>       GUIs as they are now are aimed at simpletons who can't handle minor
>       cosmetic changes, nevermind arcana like regular expressions. An
>       interface that can replace the command shells will also require end
>       users to actually think. Most end users simply aren't interested
>       and most gui developers aren't either.

And here it comes: the rallying cry of the CLI elitist. Despite the fact
that the GUI has brought the computer to a place it's never been and is
being used by neophytes and powerusers alike, only "simpletons" could
possibly be interested in using one.

I'll grant you that most users aren't interested in improvements that
haven't yet been invented. Duh. But when someone comes up with something
that genuinely offers them an improvement, they get interested fast.

>       That tends to limit the 'mainstream' GUIs considerably and will do
>       so into the foreseeable future.

It's obvious you're letting your dislike for GUIs colour everything you
say.

It's pointless trying to argue with someone who'd defend as nonsensical
a statement as started this debate.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: 15 Jun 2000 02:19:44 GMT

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:10:22 -0400, Seán Ó Donnchadha wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote:
>

>>>No, it's called an illustration. This particular one is designed to
>>>illustrate the idiocy of your view that Microsoft must be punished
>>>because you can't get precisely the Windows configuration you want.
>>
>>      Actually it's a false strawman.
>>

>Did you read what was said, Jed? The guy complained about Windows
>including stuff he doesn't want. I said, "You can't always get what
>you want." Strawman my ass. The real problem is that you can't read
>beyond the point at which your knee starts jerking.

Actually, you started an irrelevant discourse about cars, and used it to
construct a strawman using the ancient strawman-by-analogy technique, which
goes something like this:

Suppose I make an assertion about foo. The strawman goes something like this:

(*)     statements about (foo) are equivalent to statements about cars.
=>      (assertion) is true for cars.
=>      (some absurd statement about cars)
=>      contradiction, so (assertion) is false for cars and hence false for (foo).

This is among other things a clever technique to misrepresent someone's
argument as a claim that (assertion) is somehow applicable to cars.

The obvious problem is that the first assumption (*) that you call on each
time you make an analogy is almost always false and simply doesn't stand
up to any sort of rigorous scrutiny. For this reason, I tend to reject
arguments that depend on such unsupportable assertions. Not only is such
an argument lacking in rigor, it also reflects badly on the arguers ability
to construct clear coherent arguments instead of using
"proof by smoke and mirrors"

BTW, I just checked Microsoft's stock info. Wayyyyy underrated IMO.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Microsoft W2K lack of goals.
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 02:07:29 GMT

In article <8i8rbl$apb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) wrote:
[snippity]
> Gee.  Just like you do with linux.  So now your two faced and
backhanded.
> That would make you a two faced, backhanded, retarded liar.
>
> -----yttrx

Show some class or butt the hell out.  You give Linux advocacy a bad
name.

Jeez, Drestin, I see what you mean.  Ouch!

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:23:29 +1000
From: stan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why not West Papua ? was: Canada invites Microsoft north now we are

Remember Australia produces 70% of it's own consumption and we're
still being dictated to by the oil cartels.

Just my AUD $0.02 worth

stan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:27:23 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boring

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> THink $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$   jedi....
>
> When IBM, figures out there is no money in Linux, and it won't be
> long, support will be dropped...

There is lots of money to be made from Linux.

> >>It will be gone in 2 years or less.
> >
> >       ...the voice of an armchair sysadmin.
>
> Nope, the voice of someone who visits IBM accounts on a daily basis.
>
> Nobody is interested in Linux, nobody that I speak with anyway.

You must lead a very lonely life then.   IBM customers are very interested in using
Linux.

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How many times, installation != usability.
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 02:19:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snippity]
> The argument that Linux sucks because it can't install on XYZ computer
> is nothing but a wasted argument.
[snip]

But the install is getting incrementally better with each release.  I
run Caldera's eDesktop 2.4 and it was as good as any Windows install
I've ever done.  There's even a very favorable writeup in one of the
WebMags about Caldera for newbies (look in LinuxToday, sorry I don't
have the link handy).  I just got a new hard drive a few months ago and
re-loading Caldera was a piece of cake compared to reinstalling my Win95
partition.  One reboot for Caldera; I quit counting when I got to eight
reboots for Windows.  Seems like each driver took me at least two and
sometimes three reboots before I was done.  W2K is supposed to cut that
number down, but at one reboot for Linux, MSFT has a long row to hoe.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 02:38:40 GMT

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 23:24:47 GMT, Daniel Johnson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>There is no reason for MS to spend effort on this kind of thing-
>the people who are complaining are never, ever going to
>be satisfied with NT- because it isn't Unix.

Maybe, maybe not.  What with the popularity of the Internet, lots of
users have found themselves having to use a Unix prompt for one thing
or another, typically quick edits to their web site.  I know that I
used to get calls about "why does vi/emacs/pico keep scrolling a couple
of lines off the screen".  Or "why doesn't highlighting work right", or
"why does less lose track of where it is"?

The answer was "use this working telnet program we've put on our ftp
site".

>> think that MS in all these years could have snagged the code if they
>> couldn't figure it out on their own.
>
>That would be illegal.

Only if it is under GPL.  There are other free licenses.

>It seems to me the complaint keeps shifting around, almost
>as if someone around here doesn't actually know what's
>wrong with MS telnet...

No, it is that there is more than one complaint.  Off the top of my
head, not having used the piece of junk in a while (I use PuTTY):

1.  Tells the remote side it is ansi, when it isn't.
2.  Doesn't tell the remote end the correct window size and can't
    change window sizes.
3.  Has bugs in handling highlighting (inverse video and such).

None of these are major.  I would think that all would be pretty easy
to fix.  But they are _really_ annoying, particularly when using
editors.

>Okay. But I seem to recall that Leslie was complain about
>how MS is forever implementing extensions to standards.

Saying you are an ansi emulator when you aren't isn't part of any
standard I can think of.

>> They could have designed their protocol so as to not require patches to
>> Apache for full functionality.

>This is heading for more boring conspiracy ranting, I can see it now.

So are you saying I'm lying?  That there aren't really any problems
with the FP server extensions and it's all in my mind?  That MS doesn't
tell ISP's that it'll all be great if they just put in IIS?  What?

I can't _prove_ that they wanted to force ISP's to NT, but I was
running one at the time and I sure got that impression.  I guess it was
just a coincidence that they did Frontpage the way they did, right at
the time they were putting on the hard sell to ISP's about switching to
NT.

After a while, explaining this kind of thing as an accident starts to
wear a little thin.

>After all, we all know that no MS product can ever succeed because
>the users *wanted* it. After all, no Linux product ever did... :P

The users did want FP, sure (well, until one of the numerous bugs ate
their site at least).  The ISP's didn't, not the way MS configured it.
The FP server extensions have a history of severe security bugs,
problematic installation, and administrative headaches.  And they
weren't really necessary in the first place if the thing had been
implemented a little differently.

But if you just put in IIS it'll all be great!  Heaven forbid that they
should just sell the damn product and make it easy for ISP's to support
it on their existing systems.  No, they had to resort to arm-twisting
via the ISP's customers.

I was there, and it pissed me off.  A lot.

>They could have implemented enough of the Unix APIs to be
>useful, yes, but there is no reason to do that- they aren't selling
>a Unix.

Then let's not pretend that POSIX on NT is anything but a marketing
sham.

>If you write software to these APIs, you gain nothing from running
>it on NT.

No, but you do gain the ability to change platforms.  Can't have that.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dealing with filesystem volumes
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:42:17 +1000

"Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Christopher Smith wrote:
>

> > Colin Day said
> > >
> > > And why would you copy files to an unmounted mount point?
> >
> > Because you *thought* it was mounted.
>
> I never did that accidentally, although I did it on purpose out of
> curiosity. It would be an annoyance, but you're not losing data.

Not being able to find your data is functionally the same as having lost it.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: vote on MS split-up
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 02:42:31 GMT

R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Clear, cogent, relevant, and understandable to anyone...
>>
>> You're not from around here, are you?
>
> Actually, I've posted over 20 articles a week (average) for
> nearly 15 years.

Still too few. ;-) (Take it as a hint)

> My personal archive (my postings and responses to them) on
> mailing lists, newsgroups, and message centers like ZDNet
> total over 10,000 pages.  I keep thinking I'd like to turn
> it into a book some day, but that would mean reporting on the
> past when I'd rather be causing the future.

If we don't know the past then how can we shape the future?
Knowing the problems of the past and the solutions to them
will help us avoid the same pitfalls.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Thinking of reading anything by simon777 ? Read this first before you do
Date: 15 Jun 2000 10:47:13 +0800

Would you take advice from a Ford salesman, trying to convince you
that Honda's were crap ?

What if he didn't actually know anything about cars anyway ?

How about if he was so ashamed of his real identity, being
a total liar and bs artist, that every time you went to that
particular car yard, he had changed his name ?

This is simon777, otherwise known as "Steve/Heather/Amy/Keys88" etc.

He has been posting here for 2 years, and its always the same Wintroll
stuff, clever but untrue.

Do yourself a favor if you're a lurker or a undecided Linux user :-

                    ** kill file him **!

If you do, you'll have a LOT less stuff to read, and will be able to get down
to the nitty gritty, of good old Linux advocacy, without the lies.

Is your time worth more than reading his lies ?

Kind Regards
Terry

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
really waya way OT
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:51:14 +1000

"stan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Remember Australia produces 70% of it's own consumption and we're
> still being dictated to by the oil cartels.

It's even worse with LPG.  We produce more LPG than we consume, yet our LPG
prices still rise ~30% (literally overnight) to bring them in line with the
rest of the world.

> Just my AUD $0.02 worth

Hmm, I wonder if opinions are GST exempt ? :D

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals.
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 02:55:22 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Gary Hallock wrote:
>Tim Palmer wrote:
>

>> What maiks you think that? Windows is everywhere. Version's of it run on home PC's
>and on large
>> corparate networks. The fastest sistem on the TPC/C list (the space shuttal) runs
>Windows 2000.
>> UNIX is used by a bunch of wining geeks on there old 386's (bycicals) because they
>do'nt think Bill
>> Gaits desserves the money they woud halve to spend on a computer that can run
>Windos.
>
>Really?   Windows in everywhere?  Not in my office.   I have a 64-bit dual processor
>RS/6000 workstation
>running AIX 4.3.  Next to it I have a Thinkpad running Linux.  I run Lotus Notes on
>Linux on my Thinkpad
>and redirect the display to my workstation.   There are about 1000 of these AIX boxes
>in my area.  Then we
>have a 12-way S/390 G6 running Linux on VM/ESA.  No Windows in sight.
>
>Gary

Ahhhh,
This sounds like heaven.

Can I go?

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 02:55:22 GMT

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Pete Goodwin wrote:

> {SNIP}
>
>Ah yes, so I am. I post topics reporting Linux is slower than Windows, that
>makes me a Linux advocate?
>
>Pete

Pete,

There are some 1,000 odd computer magazines world wide.
Go find me 10 of them which indicate by a performance graph
that Linux is slower than Windows.

Just 10 is all I ask.

You know, these magazines couldn't sell magazines if everybody thought
they were full of shit.

Further, they'd get sued.

So there you go Pete.

Walnuts to A-bombs, your wrong.