From: Brian Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I regretfully conclude that Linux is a piece of CRAP.
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 22:11:34 -0700

On 26 Mar 2001 03:29:56 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David
Steinberg) wrote:

>Brian Rourke ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 19:50:24 -0500, "Masha Ku' Inanna"
>: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: >You might want to try to use PM to create a small partition using the first
>: >32MB of the hard drive, and label that as /boot for Linux.
>
>: This looks like good advice, thanks.  Right now, I only have the
>: PartitionMagic utility that came with Mandrake, so I can't control
>: where the different partitions go on the drive.
>
>I'm not so sure about that advice.  It sounds to me like you're saying
>that the kernel is booting from the CD or floppy, the installation is
>starting, but is dying BEFORE you even get the chance to partition the
>disk (not in Partition Magic, but in the installation program under
>Linux).   Is that correct?  If so, I wouldn't think it has anything to do
>with 1024 cylinder limit.  The limit is only a problem until the kernel
>has booted.  One the kernel is running, it should be able to access the
>whole hard drive.  In other words, people don't experience this problem
>until after they've completed in the installation and attempt to boot
>Linux off the hard drive.

That makes sense.  I've been puzzled by this, though I thought maybe
it was trying to install the kernel in part of the drive that it can't
access.  But no, as you say it seems as though even though the kernel
is booting from the cd it can't see my hard drive at all.

>It sounds more like your hard drive controller isn't supported at all by
>the kernel you're attempting to boot.  You really should try to find out
>more details about your controller than "Ultra ATA Controller for
>Windows."  If your PC didn't come with documentation that specifies the
>manufacturer and model of the controller, you should try to find out from
>Gateway.

Yes, I think this is the problem too.  I've been trying to get the
information from Gateway today, and they're site is the typical
dumbed-down thing.  The amount of documentation they provide is
pathetic.  It doesn't occur to them that their customers might want to
know all of the product specs, I suppose.

>Once you find out what kind of controller it is, we can figure out if it
>is supported by the kernel on your installation media.  What version of
>Mandrake are you using?

I've been using 7.0, but I have given up on them.  All I'll say online
is that they promised to do certain basic things to help solve my
problems and never followed through.

This time I've been using a copy of RedHat 7.0 that I can return if
necessary.  It's going back tomorrow, I think.

>If this is the problem, it is a bit of a nasty one.  Since Linux can't see
>your hard drive, you don't have a lot of room to fix things.  You really
>have to find and use someone else's solution.  Usually, there is a
>solution to be found.
>
>Honestly, this is the kind of problem that the distribution should be
>dealing with.  Why not give the tech support another try?  They could
>probably help you figure out if it is a hardware problem, and they might
>even have an installation disk with a patched kernel.  If it won't support
>your hard drive, and they can't help you, I think you are totally within
>your rights to demand your money back.

I agree, of course.  If they would just work with me on this, I
wouldn't even demand my money back.  But they're just a bunch of
clowns.  They don't do anything they say they will do.  Just getting a
response is nearly impossible.

>I do know that Debian has a boot disk that's patched to support more
>new hard drive controllers.  I don't know what Mandrake and Red Hat are
>like in this respect because, when I was using them, I had a standard
>controller that didn't need special support.

I'll look into Debain as well, thanks.

>Anyways, I think the place to start is finding out what kind of controller
>you've got.

According to the specs I received from Gateway, my hard drive is a
Quantum Fireball Ultra ATA/66.  This model apparently has "an embedded
hard disk controller," which has a proprietary sound to it and
suggests I may be screwed.  Well, I'll keep trying, thanks.

Thanks very much for your help.

Brian

The late spring sunshine flooded,
like a bursted tepid star,
the pink Boulevard.  The people
beneath crawled like wounded insects
of cloth.

Wyndham Lewis

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kulkis not Chad, Gates (was Re Unix/Linux Professionalism)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:03:20 -0500

Brent R wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> > >
> > > Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 22 Mar 2001

> > > So you're not just a schizophrenic, you're a paranoid schizophrenic.
> > > Please, Aaron, go see a psychiatrist.
> >
> > See my other post in this thread about the USEFUL lessons to be
> > learned from a character who is a schizophrenic.
> >
> > And for the record, no, I am not a schizophrenic.
> Yeah and of course if a schizophrenic tells you he's not a schizophrenic
> then he surely can't be a schizophrenic.

If you can't tell the difference between totally losing control of your
identity, vs. learning to have total control over your own mind...

then there's no point in trying to reason with you

> --
> - Brent
>
> http://rotten168.home.att.net

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dying
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:04:08 -0500

GreyCloud wrote:

> Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > "Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > quarter,

> > > Since Microsoft has lost about 52% of its value since reaching
> > > it 52-week high of 115 (about one year ago), you are probably
> > > not suggesting that these stock values are much of an indication
> > > of the health of the company.  Right?
> >
> > ANY company making profits in the 10 digit range is as healthy as I can
> > imagine!
> >
> > Considering MS has OVER $24,000,000,000 in _CASH_ reserves, I'd say they are
> > capable of losing another 50% of their value and still not even notice.
> >
> > Then again, MS hasn't announced it's quarterlies yet - expect they've beat
> > estimations is what the little birdy I know tells me.
>
> Do you also see rainbows and fairies as well?

Every Mafia$oft ad is filled with them.

The problem is...idiots like you who believe in them.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 26 Mar 2001 05:03:23 GMT

Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "." wrote:
>>
>> Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > The best hope right now is BeOS, have you tried it? It installs onto fat
>> > partitions and is pretty usable. The desktop is a little hard on the
>> > eyes.
>>
>> Are you insane?  Be has all but abandoned beos development in favor of
>> BeAI.  BeOS is an incredibly niche operating system and will never, ever
>> see anything but video streaming and the errant desktop or two.

> Really? I didn't know that. Honestly I've only used BeOS literally 3
> times, I was offering it as a suggestion.

> Incidentally, what is BeAI?

Its the operating environment that apparantly all forthcoming Sony
entertainment hardware will be running.  They just signed a huge contract.

=====.

--
"The city's all wrapped up in plastic like an electronic cocoon;
if you lay in the street you can hear it humming"

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software  <gloat!>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:05:59 -0500

GreyCloud wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Jon Johanson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > employee

> > > No, it's neither. It's a joke.
> >
> > ALL of Mafia$oft's code is a JOKE.
> >

> Who is this Johanson character?  He's spreading propaganda in an
> advocacy group.  He acts like some klingon... like a dingle berry or
> something.
> It sure appears he knows very little of UNIX.

His behavior is typical of paid Mafia$oft fudsters.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:03:36 -0800

Sorry for all the flak in here.

You thing you can do, depending on where you live, is to check around
for a linux users group.  If you find one they will help install it for
you.

Ok!  I see it now.  I've added up what you have reported for the various
partitions.
The problem falls in the partition table.  You have C:,D:,E:, & F:.  For
some reason,
the distros have problems with these.
In my opinion, and most will disagree with this one, and have all your
apps backed up, is to blow windows off the hard drive completely.... but
before you do make DAMN sure you have made a Win98 boot disk.  This
diskette is then booted...

A.  run the ms fdisk.
B.  remove all partitions.
C.  start making partitions starting with C: and set the necessary size
you need.
D.  you can make a 4GB partition by not doing anything for linux, just
keep this figure in mind so that the HD has that much room left over.
E.  exit fdisk.
F.  format /sys c:
G.  install your win98 in the C: part... windows will now happily use
that space.
H.  Test your win98 installation.
I.  now boot the linux CD.

In our install fests we run into this a lot.  Red Hat should install now
without any difficulties.  The only other snag point has to do with the
video card.  By rights the ATI board should be recognized by the
installation program.  Even the new sun workstation uses the ATI chip
for video.  I have an ATI chip in my IBM and have installed many
different linux distros and ATI has worked with them.

Now, let the rest of those dig in and pick apart or improve on this
installation.
Partition magic never worked for me and its not written by linux people
that I'm aware of.  When MS released Win95 linux would refuse to install
saying that there were no usable space to install.  Partition magic
couldn't create or resize a win95 partition.  The problem was discovered
that MS put at the very end of hard drive space a few blocks tag
"Unmoveable" making the hard drive look 'FULL'.  By repartitioning the
HD using MS own fdisk and re-installing win95 was the only solution at
that time.  This particular installation problem appears to one related
to the partition table.  Once linux is installed correctly you can then
use the linux tools to better manage partitions.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Mar 2001 22:07:02 -0700

http://www.cluetrain.org

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:07:48 -0500

Roy Culley wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck) writes:
> > On 24 Mar 2001 15:38:10 -0600, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > You know, "Jan", I think one of the reasons that it is traditional to
> > put the quote at the top and the new content at the bottom is to reduce
> > the temptation to just quote the whole damn thing in order to add one
> > line.
>
> There are excellent guides on usenet etiquette. Most news readers I've
> ever used (Unix only so can't say about readers for any other OS)
> automatically subscribe you to a couple of newsgroups for this very
> purpose. Two of the basic guidelines are to snip what isn't relevant
> to your followup and enter your remarks AFTER the text you are
> replying to. Sadly many of the anti-Microsoft appear to be ignorant of
> these simple and basic guidelines. AK just breaks all conventions of
> course.

Yes, but you have no understanding of my work.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:08:34 -0500

Roy Culley wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > You have to realize that Jon has given propaganda, not facts with cross
> > references.
>
> He always asks people to provide documentary evidence for their claims
> but never gives any to support his own. Just how much do Microsoft pay
> these people?

Apparently not enough to motivate them to put forth the necessary
effort to falsify whatever evidence they need.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:10:04 -0500

mmnnoo wrote:

> I really prefer the response to be *before* the quoted material,
> since many readers have just read the previous message and
> shouldn't need to scroll down, while those coming along after
> the fact or reading the message in isolation can still get the
> context of my comments.

Yeah, it's always easier to read the response before you have
even the slightest fucking clue what the hell they are responding too.

This is typical Mafia$oft cart-before-the-horse thinking.

> If that isn't 'proper netiquette', then netiquette is just wrong.
>
> "Roy Culley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snip>
> > There are excellent guides on usenet etiquette. Most news readers I've
> > ever used (Unix only so can't say about readers for any other OS)
> > automatically subscribe you to a couple of newsgroups for this very
> > purpose. Two of the basic guidelines are to snip what isn't relevant
> > to your followup and enter your remarks AFTER the text you are
> > replying to. Sadly many of the anti-Microsoft appear to be ignorant of
> > these simple and basic guidelines. AK just breaks all conventions of
> > course.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.