From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Coherency
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:24:59 +0200

It was the Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:24:53 +0100...
...and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Matthias Warkus wrote:
> >
> > It was the Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:25:20 +0100...
> > >
> > > That need not cause bloat. Linux already has the capability to let
> > > almost any app read almost any image file. The pnm utils.
> >
> > Dead slow if you need to read an entire menufull of icons.
>
> How big can a menu full of icons be? Icons are small.

Compressed, they are. In their internal representation, they're not
necessarily very small.

> Besides something
> like a WM (Fvwm2 task bar does this, afaik after step does also) will
> load the icons once, then use them from its own internal format (xpm or
> whatever) until its restarted.

There you go with a speed/memory tradeoff. That's why GNOME uses an
architecture of dlopened loaders and reloads menu icons on display
instead of keeping them in memory.

mawa
--
Jot 'Em Down, Texas   |  Unthanks, Virginia      |  Shittim Gulch,
Cut and Shoot, Texas  |  Tizzle Flats, Virginia  |  Washington

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So where ARE all of these supposed Linux users?
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 12:22:39 -0400

> They don't have to...
>
> Win2k, even WITHOUT advocating STILL has a far higher market share
> than Linsux....

you are insane.

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:37:36 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:44:19 -0700, Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >[deletia]
> >>If W2K is so wonderful, why isn't anyone advocating it? There
> >
> >       ...most notably: Microsoft themselves.
> >
> >>must be a few happy W2K users out there besides you and
> >>Dresdin.  C.O.L.A. gets far more traffic than C.O.M.N.A yet
> >>Microsoft has much more of the marketplace.  I guess most
> >>people abide by the principle, "If you can't say anything nice
> >>then don't say anything at all."
> >>
> >>There is no need to badmouth Microsoft. Everyone that uses
> >>Microsoft products knows all the shortcomings.  It would be
> >>stating the obvious.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 12:23:09 -0400

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:28:28 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:46:23 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> >>They don't have to...
> >>
> >>Win2k, even WITHOUT advocating STILL has a far higher market share
> >>than Linsux....
> >
> >       ...an interesting assertion considering that Microsoft
> >       itself is discouraging it's use as a general purpose
> >       desktop OS.
>
> Whatever. The fact remains that it still has far more marekt share
> than Linux...

Prove it.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Larry Tobosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: democracy?
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 16:21:34 GMT

>       Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Salvador Peralta wrote:
> >>
> >> let's remember that the United States is not now, nor has it ever
been a
> >> democracy.
> >
> > Yes it is. It's a representative democracy. The people do rule,
through
> > their elected officials (in theory, at least).
>
> Isn't ignorance bliss? The only thing that counts in America is money.
> Your politics are incredibly corrupt. Of course so is the politics of
most
> 1st world countries. The third world is worse for sure. But the USA
should
> set an example and it fails woefully. It appears that in the USA you
can
> fool most of the people most of the time. Very sad.
>
> With regard to the earlier comment, in a previous post, about the
average person
> being stupid, this is unfortunately true. They aren't born stupid but
develop the
> trait through crap educational systems and a life where thinking does
them no
> good at all. Who benefits from this. Institutional religion and big
business.
> Hmm, that desribes the USA perfectly.

I'd rather agree with all this (do you like reading Camus or Cioran by
the way?) but what has this to do with Linux ? Please conserve the
bandwidth. There should be other places for this topic as well !
--
Do you know what your software does?
Stay in control, support Free Software Foundation !

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 16:46:03 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> No, I admit I have not used utility #zxY.MnUi999 for Linsux...

Why not?! It's really useful!

:-))

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 12:50:40 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> No, I admit I have not used utility #zxY.MnUi999 for Linsux...

Well, of course you don't admit that you don't have a clue.  If you did
then you would have clue.

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Dealing with filesystem volumes
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 18:10:15 +0200

It was the Fri, 16 Jun 2000 18:11:04 +0200...
...and Lars Träger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Don't you have filename-completion?
> >
> > It's still easier to type
> > than
> > :Lo<tab>:Bin<tab>
> > because it doesn't require shifted characters or path separators.
>
> It does on a german keyboard ;-)

Don't tell me you actually type slashes in your shell! In 9 of 10
cases hitting <tab> throws in the slash if needed.

mawa
--
Q: What do Eskimos get from sitting on the ice too long?
A: Polaroids.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: One problem with Linux
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 18:15:57 +0200

It was the Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:10:29 GMT...
...and Steven Smolinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When you think computer books, think O'Reilly.  There's
> hardly a stinker in the bunch.

O'Reilly absolutely rule. They're a great company turning out great
books. I mean it (and they don't pay me to say that).

mawa
--
Papierstauentferner!
Partnerbefriediger!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Good Work Mozilla..
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 18:11:36 +0200

It was the Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:29:24 GMT...
...and Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> OSguy wrote:
> >
> > Mozilla is going to have a nice product when it is ready.
> > The Speed of the M16 Browser is the fastest I've seen yet,
> > and certainly makes IE look sick.
>
> You know of a changelog from the toppa your head? I don't feel like
> searching today.

Does anyone know why the Mozilla CVS is so frigging slow? My checkout
attempts always get stuck after a couple hundred files updated.

mawa
--
Q: What do Eskimos get from sitting on the ice too long?
A: Polaroids.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Claims of Windows supporting old applications are reflecting reality or
fantasy?
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 18:07:03 +0200

It was the Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:25:03 GMT...
...and John Wiltshire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:22:35 +0100, 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I also meant to say (but forgot) that the lifespan of other consumer
> >products is longer thasn 8 years. TVs, fridges etc can have lifespand
> >over 20 years. Technology may have improged, but they have become no
> >worse. Software is not different
>
> You don't expect to be able to drop a '00 Taurus engine into a '57
> Mustang do you?  Why should you expect to be able to run a program
> designed for the Windows 1.x engine on Windows 2000?

Car analogies are nearly always silly. I presume you know that?

mawa
--
Q: What's blue and white and sits on the bottom of the ocean ?
A: A fridge wearing a denim jacket.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:02:41 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote on Sat, 17 Jun 2000 11:36:38 -0400 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote on Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:18:47 -0400 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> >Craig Kelley wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>> >                               ^^^^^
>> >Lose32
>>
>> Now now, let's not insult the protocol.  Even if it does do
>
>Merely countering Microsoft's brainwashing campaign.
>
>Deal with it.

Indeed.

Nothing like a squeaky clean brain, devoid of ideas, bereft of sense,
to accept Microsoft software. :-)

"A clean brain is the sign of a sick mind". :-)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- but a dirty mind, ahh...that's a different thing :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark S. Bilk)
Subject: Re: Linux....The Cold Hard Truth....
Date: 17 Jun 2000 17:05:17 GMT

>My firm sponsors retail space for computer shows around NYC and the surrounding

What an amazing guy Steve/Mike is!  Last year he told us
he's a physician in NYC specializing in removing household
objects from gay men's rear ends.

And this year he said his company bought thousands of
new PCs for its employees (all using Microsoft Windows,
of course).  There must be a whole lot of computer shows
around NYC!

Partial list of his fake names:

Steve/Mike/Heather/Simon/teknite/keymaster/keys88/Sewer Rat/
"S"/Sponge/Sarek/piddy/McSwain/pickle_pete/Ishmeal_hafizi/
Proculous/Tiberious/Amy/...

------------------------------

From: abraxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is awesome!
Date: 17 Jun 2000 17:08:50 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Oh yea,

> I have LOT's of faith in that group...

Insinuating that you are qualified to assess "that group"...

I must admit that your bullshit is at times sublime, but bullshit
none the less.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: Trent Worthington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,free.uk.guns,alt.night-club.review.uk,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux,alt.linux.os,alt.startrek,alt.uk.teens.london,at.troll,alt.trentworthington.sucks
Subject: Re: An Abortion Horror Story
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 13:26:22 -0400

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 20:52:43 -0400, Mr.Right <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>        An Abortion Horror Story
>
>It's was the morning June 5th, 1984.  I was working at the Yarbury
>Clinic.  This young lady walked in and asked about our services.  I
>explained to her what we do here. She said, okay, and that it was her
>boyfriend that was making her do this.  I told to just fill out these
>forms and we can get started.  After the forms were filled out, we
>preceded.  About halfway through the procedure, this ugly, short, bald
>man walked into the room and said, "sweet, jesus, Martha, what are you
>doing here?"
>
>The woman replied, "But you told me to get an abortion"
>
>The man said, "No, no, no, I said, go to the auction..."
>
>"oh," the woman replied.
>
>Then the man looked at me and asked, "is it too late,"
>
>Seeing that this guy was a retard, I said, "no, it's not too late,
>here take it it's yours..".
>
>The man look upwards and said, "Trent, I'll call the little bugger
>Trent Worthington."

Another leg humper for my collection, cool! I OWN JOOO!!!!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Microsoft Stocks and your sanity...
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:41:38 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote on Sat, 17 Jun 2000 07:58:56 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <8if186$1lv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>>Um, well, Linux is installed on the newer and faster of my two disks.
>>>So... shouldn't it benefit from this slight speed advantage?
>>
>>Pete, *please* get it through your thick skull that your "print one
>>million 31 character strings to a file" test (I use the word loosely)
>>has nothing to do with the disk, and in fact not even with the OS
>>itself.
>
>Ah yes, it goes somewhere magical does it? Some alternate reality I've
>never heard of?
>
>Printing 31 million characters to a disk _does_ involve the disk, as that's
>where it ends up (who has a thick skull now huh?).

But not necessarily immediately.  An intelligent OS might let the program
run to completion without even touching the disk, then wait until the disk
is otherwise idle to flush out the pages generated thereby...a delayed
sync, if you will.

Or it might write out the pages using a different process or thread, while
the program is, say, waiting for something else to happen, such as
an incoming socket packet.

Or both.

Both Linux and Windows should have at least one of these capabilities.

[rest snipped]

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux MUST be in TROUBLE
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 13:54:57 -0400

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:22:35 GMT,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cihl) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >>Hello? Pete? Have you been paying attention at all? Linux does NOT
> >>belong to any business or (evil) corporation, it exists out of a
> >>community effort.
> >
> >There's one thing I've noticed about altruistic organisations - they tend
> >to disappear once the real world intrudes.
>
> Just like the Linux IPO's are dying one after the other now that the
> real world of the corporation has taken a good look at Linux and has
> deemed it a mess.
>
> >>Linux cannot die, ever! As a manner of speaking you could shoot Linus
> >>Torvalds, Alan Cox and Alexander Viro, and Linux development would
> >>STILL continue. There's NO WAY of stopping it, EVER. It's estimated
> >>that the Linux-effort has over 50.000 developers working on the
> >>various components at any given time!
> >
> >Oh it can die alright. When the next fad comes along and sweeps all the
> >Linux developers then you can kiss Linux bye bye.
>
> It's already dying. Along with BEOS, which Stienberg has withdrawn
> support and according to rumour Emagic is the next one.
> >>For instance, the graphical installation procedures have only even
> >>existed for the last 3 (three) months. Give it another year, and Linux
> >>will BLOW Windows AWAY for the installation.
> >
> >Another year...
>
> Linux is always behind. It has no future....

Linux runs on the following CPU families:

Intel x86
Motorola 68000
Sparc
Dec Alpha
PowerPC
PA-Risc
RS-6000
MIPS (SGI)

Given that it is based on the programming methodology of the
most-ported operating system ever (Unix), and that source
code is easily ported back and forth between Unix and Linux,
and that most EDUCATED people have a need for a Unix-like
operating system, then for what reason do you expect Linux
to die out?

Most big-name universities do project development on Unix, not
Losedows.  For that reason alone, the best-educated in the field
of computing all have VERY strong reason to put Linux on their
own computer while still underclassmen.

Conversely, Other than Intel x86, how many OTHER CPU's does Lose2k run
on?

[Gibberish bullshit deleted]

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raymond N Shwake)
Subject: Re: What UNIX is good for.
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:14:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine) writes:

>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote on Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:47:35 -0400 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>> wrote on 15 Jun 2000 10:56:18 -0500 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>[snip for brevity]

>>> "The"?
>>>
>>> Oh yeah, 1 Win2K server = 20 Solaris boxes.
>>
>>He got the ratio reversed.
>>
>> 20 Lose2K servers = 1 Solaris box.

>This wouldn't surprise me overly much.

>Mind you, those E10000s are fairly large boxes..... :-) :-)

        But one only needs to go with a UE 10000 if one's needs for CPU cycles
and I/O are substantial. IBM and HP have smaller and less costly boxes that'll
do almost as much. And before the Wintel folks start spouting off about
"cost/performance", there's nothing that says one can't run UNIX (Solaris or
UnixWare) on high-end Intel servers (e.g. IBM Netfinity, Dell PowerEdge, etc.).
Choice is just one more thing UNIX and Linux give you that Windows doesn't.