From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:39 GMT

Said Mike Byrns in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 23:11:39
>"Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Chad Myers wrote:
>> >
>> > Give me a break. You can't honestly sit there and tell me they're
>> > just "calling it as they see it". It's not professional at all,
>> > let alone tasteful. It's like a bunch of high-school adolescents wrote
>> > the documentation. Not unlike the code, though. I guess it all makes
>> > sense.
>>
>> If you mean the code they're commenting, you're right. Adolescent style
>> code deserves adolescent-style irony. You can't discuss Microsoft
>> implementation as if it were a professional thing. It isn't.
>
>First, we can discuss Microsoft implementations any way we se fit -- you and
>the rest of the Linux loonies have no say in what we do at all.

And you accuse some volunteer who writes a HOWTO of being adolescent?
What irony.

>Commenting
>code with "adolescent ironies" is decidedly poor coding practice -- perhaps
>they could have diverted those energies towards documenting their code
>rather than commenting on completely unrelated code that they've never even
>seen before.

Well, I know Giuliano is far too polite to say it, so I'll point out
that you're full of shit.  If you had the ability to comment on the
persons code, then you can do so.  Your consideration of the value of
validity of his comments, regardless, is really along the lines of "you
and the rest of the Microsoft loonies have no say in what we do at all."

>Microsoft's implementations are by definition
>"professional" -- that's what they do for a living.  Linux implementations
>are by definition "amateur" as they are done as a pastime rather than as a
>profession.  There are maybe a hundred or so folks that actually get paid to
>code linux (the kernel) and all the varied programs included in all the
>distros combined.  Hell, Torvalds doesn't even get paid to do the kernel --
>he gets paid to write microcode for the Transmeta chips and to write the
>currently CLOSED SOURCE Mobile Linux.

And yet Linux is decidedly kicking Microsoft's ass; when the government
finally ends their illegal behavior, they're really going to be up
against a wall.  Right now they're just really scared, and it is pretty
cool to watch.  ;-)

   [...]
>> Well if you're so proud of MSDN superb documentation, can you point me
>> where it is clearly specified that a scrolling window
>> will fill up until all available memory has been used and then freeze
>> the system (making even the Task Manager unavailable) if you attempt to
>> scroll it?
>
>Scrolling window?  Using those terms precisely would yeild a window with a
>scrollbar (perhaps two!) and no innate ability to have any content other
>than what can be drawn on it's device context.  It's up to your
>implementation to draw the particular segment of your content as appropriate
>for the position of the scrollbar thumb and window size.  If you could
>"until all available memory has been used" then you are doing two things
>wrong -- you've turned off virtual memory and your implementation caches
>everything in memory regardless of it's size instead of implementing a spool
>or diff file or using memory mapped files.  Perhaps a call to
>GlobalMemoryStatusEx could be used to determine the right amount of cache
>:-)  You also didn't specify what OS this is either, nor what allocation
>mechanism your implementation is using -- new/delete, malloc/free or the
>heap functions.  In fact you've said nothing to make anyone who has done any
>serious Windows programming believe a word you've said let alone be able to
>blame the OS for your ineptitude.

Actually, I believe he was referring to a specific problem he had with
Microsoft's code.  <*smirk*>

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:40 GMT

Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 23:58:45
   [...]
>I wonder how much influence Transmeta has over the direction of
>Linux.

About as much as any other of the millions of licensees which own a copy
of the GPL code.

   [...remainder of random Myers fluffery nixed...]

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:41 GMT

Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:10:31
>"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
   [...]
>> > $uptime
>> >    5:31pm  up 450 days, 22:56,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
>> >

>> That some individuals around here have molded this MS monstrosity into
>> their Golden Calf boggles the mind.
>
>That's a Linux server with 1 user and an average load of 0% CPU utilization.
>
>This is somehow "busier"? I could build a WinME box turn it on and never
>touch it and get that good of uptime too, that proves nothing.

No you could't.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:42 GMT

Said David Brown in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:08:42
>IBM has a solid record of turning out brilliant technology and hopeless
>marketing.  [...]

This oft-repeated bit of nonsense is so vapid as to be tiresome.  IBM
has a mixed record, as all business do, of both technology and
'marketing'.  The obvious flaw in this kind of second-guessing is the
assumption that whether a technology is worth the price is solely a
measure of how good the advertising is.

The failure of OS/2 is entirely and completely explained by Microsoft's
use of their illegal monopoly power to ensure it failed.  This said, IBM
made almost a billion dollars on it last year.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AARON R. KULKIS HAS NO LIFE AND ASSUMES NOBODY ELSE DOES EITHER
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:45 GMT

Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 11 Feb 2001
18:53:05 -0600;
>"Bloody Viking" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:966f3o$noo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> Erik Funkenbusch ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>>
>> : Some people have lives outside of usenet.
>>
>> Answer the question.
>
>I did answer it in another post, this response was to his idiotic
>impatience.

No, you didn't, though I'll admit you pretended to.

>Stop butting in when you don't know what's going on.

Stop being a butthead because you don't know what going on.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win2K - Minuses outweigh plusses
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:47 GMT

Said Jan Johanson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 11 Feb 2001 12:45:09
>"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Jan Johanson wrote:
>>
>> > He did not write well. He just made some crap up and spued it forth for
>> > those that are so vehmonently anti-MS that they'll believe ANYTHING that
>> > paints windows is a bad light. there is not a single shred of truth in his
>> > enitre article.
>>
>> The rage and confusion within the windows religion
>> is telling at times like this. "How dare these heretics
>> question the perfection of our beloved windows 2k?"
>>
>> They love to talk about "linux bigots", but see how they
>> riot when someone dares admit that windows is not
>> perfect?
>
>You are very far off the mark. I would never claim any OS was perfect.
>Never.

OK, so the discussion is to be on rational grounds, then.

>However, if someone was to write a "how I installed linux and it made my
>wife sterile" story, the guys at slashdot would send so many zombies to it,
>the bsd server it was running on would crash. And the author would be signed
>up to every lesbian pygmy bondage mailing list on the planet.

I'm sorry; now I'm confused.  As I mentioned, I was under the impression
you were speaking rationally.  Then you launch into this ludicrous
hyperbole.  What up widat?

>Look - the point is, here is an insanely inaccurate piece of crap being
>labeled as such and the author appropriate ridiculed for presenting such
>obvious crap as fact. Why would you defend such obvious lies? Even a linux
>user should be able to recognize obvious flaws in the bogus story...

Perhaps we read different stories.  There didn't seem to be anything
"insanely inaccurate", though it was larger on experiential impressions
than on facts.  I'll repeat J's request that you provide more specific
information about what part of it was "obvious crap", or I'll presume
you're just having fun learning the value of flagrant rhetoric as a
trolling method on Usenet.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:48 GMT

Said Jan Johanson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 11 Feb 2001 12:48:12
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> And calling a poster a liar does nothing to improve the image of Windows
>> users.
>
>I call them like I see them - the article was obviously made up.

I honestly have no idea why you say it was "made up".  The details
provided were more than sufficient to recognize that this person
actually did try to install W2K on his computer and had the experiences
described.  If you can't do anything more than continue foot-stomping,
then we'll assume the reason you aren't more specific about what parts
of his message makes you question its authenticity is because your full
of shit yourself.

>If you have
>so little knowledge of windows you can't spot the obvious errors then this
>is not worth debating with you any further.

Well, if they're obvious, pointing one or two out would be more
convincing to us that you're not full of shit.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux fails to deliver on the hype
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:49 GMT

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:01:08
>T. Max Devlin wrote:
>
>> >Where did you get that from? Your imagination? Where in my post do I
>> >"take such delight"?
>>
>> I would expect it was the apparent passive-aggressive message embodied
>> by your misrepresentation of the body of the article by your subject
>> line.  Not to mention the passive-aggressive responses which seem calm
>> but nonetheless resolutely enflame resentment in follow-up.
>
>That's an interpretation I do not see.

Well, that's the problem with passive-aggressive behavior.  Its
something of an unfalsifiable label, because someone being
passive-aggressive is obviously going to deny it.  For this reason I
resist labeling something as passive-aggressive unless its repetitive
and rather obvious.

>I was not gloating over the loss of
>30 peoples jobs. I still do not see how that connection was made, and your
>explanation sheds no light on it at all.

Perhaps you don't understand the idea of passive-aggressive behavior.
Do some research.  More casually, you might consider the concepts
"smarmy", "condescending", and "smart-ass".

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:51 GMT

Said Matthew Gardiner in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 12 Feb 2001
>I've been following this so-called Linux hype, and the companies who are
>actually backing it are hoping to use it as a replacement for NT on Medium
>and Low End Servers and once it has matured, on High-End Servers.  There
>have only been one or two mainstream hardware vendors actually trying to
>push it into the desktop arena, which, will not happen until serious GUI
>problems are fixed, such as the poor intergration between the GUI, kernel
>and hardware, which, will hopefully be addressed by the end of this year.

You have it backwards.  The GUI issues get fixed when the OEMs have a
revenue stream to fund improvement.  People don't adopt an alternative
because it improves on what the original was good at; they adopt it
because it is better in a way that the original isn't good at.  IOW,
Linux is attractive to OEMs and their customers because it is
inexpensive, easily and completely modifiable (and thus customizable)
and open source, so its guaranteed that it will never dry up and blow
away, or become a dead end, not because it has a slick GUI.  Still, OEMs
will definitely put a lot of money into improving the GUI, as will
after-market end-users.

Its really easy to invert the cause-and-effect in the marketplace, and
presume that supply causes demand.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Security bug in mozilla on multi user system [linux]
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:52 GMT

Said Thorsten Moellers in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 11 Feb 2001
>At Sun, 11 Feb 2001 00:48:58 GMT T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote in comp.os.linux.advocacy:
>
>> Said Thorsten Moellers in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 10 Feb 2001

>> >I typed 'su peek', followed by the password.
>> >Than I started mozilla as user peek.
>>
>> Try typing 'su - peek', and see if there is a difference.  With the
>> 'regular' su, you only get the permissions of the new account; using the
>> dash means you get the 'environment', as well as the permissions.  This
>> might make a difference.
>Yes, maybe, but the bookmark-file of user tmoeller has no reading-permission
>for other user, so if the permissions are changed, the new user
>should not have read-permission for that file.
>There are only two possibilitys I see:
>
>1. Linux filesystem etx2 has a bug, and there are possibilitys of any
>kind to read files without having the permission to do.
>I can't believe that, never heared about such a bug.
>
>2. The mozilla started by tmoeller grants access to the loaded bookmarks
>to any newer mozilla-process started later on.
>In my opinion this is much easier to believe; it might be intended,
>that the bookmarks are shared between different mozillas owned by the
>same user, and this routine has the bug not to check, if the second
>mozilla realy has the same user-id.

Precisely.  So like I said, you need to get the environment, not just
the permissions, of the new user.  So use 'su - user' instead of 'su
user', and see if it works.  If so, its a work-around, even if its
inconvenient or even simply annoying.

>If I forgot any other possibility wich might lead to this result, I
>would be very interested to hear about...

TBH, I'm not really following the details you're posting, but I think I
understand the basic issue you're describing, and it does seem odd
behavior.  Its just that, based on a few years experience with Unix, I'd
try 'su -' in this situation.  Let me know if it works.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:53 GMT

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:26:32
>T. Max Devlin wrote:
>
>> It was only until he was forced to recognize that his understanding of
>> 'printer driver' was woefully inadequate, apparently.  Perhaps a "cat"
>> as a 'test page', and then trying to dump a postscript file, wasn't the
>> most brilliant way to set things up.
>
>Which is precisely what I did _not_ do. I used the Linux Mandrake system of
>setting up the printer. Is it my fault it got it wrong?

No, Pete, actually its not.  Its your fault you called it a "Linux
'Oopsie'".

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:54 GMT

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:28:05
>T. Max Devlin wrote:
>
>> "No, I didn't fuck it up; it just did it by itself.  I didn't do
>> anything."
>
>Correct.
>
>> It might have been believable the first hundred or so times, dude.
>
>What you believe I couldn't care less about. It happened.

I never said it didn't.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:55 GMT

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:28:51
>T. Max Devlin wrote:
>
>> Not when you can ignore the fact you just made an idiot of yourself.
>
>And then I go and publish the URL's of the articles in question. Who's the
>fool now?

Other trolls usenet postings are of no interest to me; I have my hands
full as it is.  By "urls", I generally mean something a bit more
substantial, though I'm not the one who made the request.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:56 GMT

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:33:08
>T. Max Devlin wrote:
>
>> No, but you're successfully being more annoying than most others, for
>> some reason.
>>
>> Feel free to continue randomly trying distros pretending to look for
>> Windows, but spare us the updates, OK?
>
>So long as I keep finding these little "oopsies" in Linux, I think I'll
>continue. If that annoys you, then good!

How is a confusing default in Gimp (along with an apparently inept
operator) a "Linux oopsy"?  And its the distraction from discussing
actual Linux issues which you and your ilk present which I find
annoying, not the minor glitches you try to make a big deal out of.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:57 GMT

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:34:46
>Mart van de Wege wrote:
>
>> I just checked the gimp. It defaults to default printer queue,
>> but it uses the option -oraw.
>> It appears that Pete is right. The gimp does not use his defined
>> printer, but dumps raw PS to his Epson. This is
>> counterintuitive, as all other Linux programs generally take the
>> user-defined default queue.
>> It is however a gimp issue, not a Linux one.
>
>You're right, this is a Gimp issue, not Linux. I know I keep lumping this
>all on Linux's broad shoulders, but that's the way it'll be perceived by
>the majority - especially if they install a single distribution. It may be
>technically wrong, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

No, you're making an invalid presumption.  Despite your unstated
premise, computer users are not entirely ignorant of reality, and don't
expect that every piece of software installed on a system is from the
same original source.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:58 GMT

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:37:17
>T. Max Devlin wrote:
>
>> Well, that doesn't sound surprising.  The Gimp is a graphics package; it
>> wouldn't be unusual for it to have a more exacting printer
>> configuration.
>
>KDE's Konqueror had absolutely no problems printing a file to printer and
>getting it to work with the Epson driver. I could find out how many other
>applications that do work as well.

Gimp works perfectly fine, if you configure it correctly.  That it has a
'raw' mode isn't surprising, and is, in fact, an advantage, highlighting
the flexibility and power of Linux.  Windows has this kind of stuff,
too, like PageMaker, and even WordPerfect (at least in older versions).
But its generally quite problematic, nothing as simple and elegant as
merely using a system (or network-wide) printing system through a single
mechanism which is simple and reliable, unlike the single
all-encompassing and obfuscated Windows system.

>> It was.  It is not reasonable, however, to assume that all applications
>> are properly configured just because one is.  That isn't any more true
>> on Windows than on Linux.
>
>Except on Windows, all the applications I've used all seem to work. None of
>them spew forth postscript on my printer. I've not seen that kind of error
>on Windows for a _long_ time.

Well, like it or not, it happens.  Anyone who's ever worked in a large
office, in fact, has probably seen it happen, some more recently than
others.  More likely the printing just doesn't work at all, though, or
something else weird happens.  Most Unix systems have just as much
trouble, though, but usually because they aren't administered well
enough, since all the effort goes into trying to get Windows to work.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:59 GMT

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:38:20
+0000;
>T. Max Devlin wrote:
>
>> >When I installed Linux Mandrake 7.2 I installed CUPS and the
>> >driver/filter/whatever for the Epson printer. I naturally assumed that
>> >was all I needed to do.
>>
>> You assumed wrong, is all.  Lack of an illegal monopoly does inhibit the
>> support for 'brain-dead' mode, on the part of the user.  Thank god.
>> Just a few more months, and we'll be done with posers like you.
>
>I think I did what any reasonable minded person would do. Why do you
>attribute that to "brain-dead", I don't know.

Because you posted the experience of what some people might do, until
they learned better, under the subject line you did.  That doesn't make
you a reasonable minded person; it makes you a brain-dead poser.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:54:01 GMT

Said Peter Köhlmann in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 11 Feb 2001
>Pete Goodwin wrote:
>> Edward Rosten wrote:
>>
>> > Unless the hardware is very new, then RH6.2 should do. Even if the HW is
>> > new, it's no problem to upgrade GS, the Kernel and XFree.
>>
>> I checked at their website and they don't have the following: Linux 2.4,
>> XFree86 4.0.x and ReiserFS. SuSE 7.1 (out Monday) apparently does.
>
>Yep, right on all 3 counts.
>Running here SuSE 7.1 with XFree4.0.2, ReiserFS, kernel 2.4
>(in germany it was out Saturday, and they sold them really good)

I have hear a box in my hand of RedHat 7.0 Deluxe it does not have
kernel 2.4, but says its "2.4 ready".  It does have XFree86 4.0.1.  I
haven't opened the box yet, so I don't know if its got ReiserFS, but I
kind of doubt it.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:54:02 GMT

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:42:02
>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> >Because someone told me it was better than Windows?
>>
>> The term "better" in this context may depend on the speaker.
>> I admit it.  I'm an old Unix-head; I've been using the stuff since
>> the 1980's, in various forms (Aegis wasn't Unix, but it was close).
>> I've used X since about 1991, if not earlier, and experimented with
>> it before then (it was available on Apollos at one point).
>
>I'm still looking for a better OS. Windows isn't it, BTW.
>
>Since I used to work for Digital, I'm an OpenVMS fan. UNIX was something I
>came across but did not like.

Have you tried OS/2?

>> (Makes me sound like a druggee.  I'm addicted to Unix!  :-)  But
>> it's a better "drug" than some others out there.)
>
>It's out-lasted Digital and OpenVMS.

That's because it became competitive before it became a product.
OpenVMS might have lasted longer if it had been more Open and maybe less
VMS.

>> >Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2
>>
>> Why?  If you're having such problems, switch to another distro.
>> (Debian's old, RedHat's unstable, I've no idea what Slackware is
>> doing, and SuSE is having financial problems with its US operations. :-) )
>
>I'm thinking of trying SuSE, despite all the contradictory reports I've
>read. It has Linux 2.4, KDE2.0.1, ReiserFS and XFree98 4.0.x. Some of the
>distros you mention I don't believe have all those.

If you're trying to avoid instability, is going with the cutting edge
everything really what you want to do?