Linux-Advocacy Digest #436, Volume #27            Mon, 3 Jul 00 04:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: I hope you trolls are happy... (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Uptime 6 months and counting. (Joachim Feise)
  Re: Linux not ready for primetime!!! ! (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Linux code going down hill (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner? (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: UNIX/Linux and DNA (Oliver Baker)
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform (Sascha Bohnenkamp)
  Re: Uptime 6 months and counting. (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm  not ready.)
(Darren Winsper)
  Re: Linux not ready for primetime!!! ! (Ben Walker)
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: We WANT different enviroments (Was: Linux, easy to use? (Pete Goodwin)

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I hope you trolls are happy...
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 02:00:08 -0400

Chris Shepherd wrote:

> > It supports the hardwere only after you force it to. In Windo's it just works. You
>half to >fight with LIE-nux to make it do annything.
>
> If only this were true. Do you know how long it took me to get windows
> to accept that my ancient 4mb pci S3 ViRGE 325 actually did do up to
> 1024*768? Seven and a half months, four reinstalls, two of those
> complete formats of the windows partition (who runs windows and is
> stupid enough to put their data on the same partition?), numerous calls

Absolutely.  Everyone thinks I'm nuts for keeping my C: around 1.5G
and dividing the remaining diskspace into 2-4G chunks.

But...when LoseDOS-files has yet another epileptic fit, and trashes
a filesystem...well, it only scorches a small portion of the system
and I always cross-copy my user data onto a seperate partition
(usually a seperate physical drive, if possible).

> to S3, fifteen driver downloads, etc., etc.. One of those was because
> someone from MS was telling me that my directx crashes were because I
> didn't have 7.0a. Unfortunately, 7.0a makes kernel changes to windows,
> and it was continually crashing on boot. So, that was one of the FFRs I
> had to do. The others were similar cases but because of the video
> drivers provided by Microshaft.
>
> In linux, I just entered in card number 326 (IIRC) and it worked. I
> reset my preferences to be at 1024*768 default, and edited the x file
> (in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin IIRC) and set it to run startx -- -bpp 16
> instead of just startx, and it worked beautifully.
>
> With some combinations Linux is way better.
>
> --
> Chris Shepherd
> Vice President, GDPS Computers
> Known in the SCA as William Silverlake
>
> When the sky is falling, the best place to be is underground.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

From: Joachim Feise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Uptime 6 months and counting.
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 22:56:01 -0700

> Microsoft Windows: The ONLY OS with a built-in BOFH.

Now *that* signature identifies a geek...
Who else would know what BOFH means ;-)

-Joe
--
"Bandwidth is a drug; once you're hooked, you only want more."
    March/April 2000 Technology Review

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux not ready for primetime!!! !
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 02:06:56 -0400

Ben Walker wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Nathaniel Jay Lee  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >leg log wrote:
> >>
> >> Linux as it stand now is STUPID!!!!!
> >>

> >Linux as it stands now is in a constant state of change and
> >development.  If you call that stupid, then that is your opinion.  But I
> >call locking users in and not really improving anything for the last
> >five years stupid.  Linux is improving.  Considering where it was about
> >five years ago, it's blowing a lot of people away.  Nothing starts on
> >top.  You have to start with a solid foundation (something MS has
> >screwed up twice, once with WinDOS and once with WinNT) and Linux now
> >has that foundation, and much of the work above it is already complete.
> >What isn't complete is because the work is being focused on the lower
> >parts first, getting it stable and solid.  You don't build a house from
> >the roof down.  You start with the foundation, build the walls and first
> >floor and work your way up.  The roof is the last part of the equation,
> >just like the eye candy that you are bitching for is the last part of
> >any good operating system (although BeOS is one that kind of leaves me
> >wondering about that).
>
> I agree with everything above.  I would just add that Linux and Microsoft
> have quite different philosophies and niches.  Microsoft's goal is
> domination, pure and simple.  Linux and the open source movement started
> out with a totally different objective:  produce quality non proprietary
> software to actually get things done.  Early on, software was produced
> primarally for programmers by programmers and other technically inclined
> folks.  Linux didn't start out with the intent of dominating the OS market.
> People used it because they liked it.  They liked the stability, control,
> and efficiency of the system.  Being able to run a stable UNIX like
> operating system on cheap PC hardware was a cool thing.  That is why I
> started running Linux in 1996.  I personally wouldn't mind if Linux had
> never gotten a lot of the attention and publicity it has had in the last
> couple of years.  It was nice when it was a little known secret.
>
> That being said, I really don't care if Linux becomes the dominant OS
> of the future.  I use it because I like it.  It does what I need it to do.
> It gives me stability, control, and low cost.  However, one nice thing
> about increased market share is better support for hardware.  With more
> Linux users, hardware vendors are more willing to release specs and even
> provide drivers in some cases.  I never understood why hardware vendors
> were so reluctant to release specs.  By making their product usable by
> more people, they stand to gain increased sales.
>
> I don't see Linux becoming a desktop substitute for Windows.  The desktop

Why not?

Solaris/HP-UX/IRIX have been the desktop OS for all of Ford and GM's
Engineers, Designers, Detailers, and CAM guys for a decade.

Similarly for Chrysler and AIX, as well as Boeing Aircraft (Chrysler
and Boeing use CATIA, which is only avialble on AIX).

> of KDE and Gnome has improved dramatically in the last year or so.  But I
> am not so sure I want to see nor do I think is really possible for Linux
> to look as much like Windows as possible.  This seems to be the direction
> things are heading.  But a Windows like desktop running atop Linux is
> of course better than running Windows.  At least I can choose which desktop
> and window manager to run.  I am not locked into what Microsoft forces me
> to use.
>
> Just my $.02.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux code going down hill
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 02:10:56 -0400

abraxas wrote:

> Sean LeBlanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Or make.
> >

> Actually, it doest come with make.  Its in /usr/ccs/bin.
>
> This is what happens when you come to believe that GNU *is* UNIX.
>
> Gnu is Not Unix.  Neither is Linux.  You are using a UNIX-*like*
> operating system, but there are quite alot of very important
> differences between linux (such as utter reliance on GNU code)
> and UNIX.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.  It's not.

With GNU code, if there's a bug, we have a hope of getting the
problem resolved quickly.  With vendor code, we're stuck waiting
for them to release a patch...and if their priorities happen to
be somewhat...different...than, say, my supervisors...then GNU
code beats vendor code, hands down.

 Linux meets or exceeds POSIX standards.

It fits the programming model FAR better than HP-UX, Solaris, IRIX
and especially AIX (with IBM's weirdo names and structures for
config files...)

> -----yttrx

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 02:17:25 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Shepherd
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote on Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:32:03 -0400
> >>
> >> Come across this: Windows 2000. It blo's LIE-nux away It blo's
> >> LIE-nux away It blo's LIE-nux away
> >
> >Yep, just hope you've updated your version or don't have over a 4 gig
> >drive (who doesn't nowadays?), and don't EVER run scandisk, otherwise
> >it'll blow your hard drive away, blow your hard drive away, blow your
> >hard drive away.
>
> Actually, I've yet to see anything that'll toast a hard drive.
> Now the data thereon is a different matter. :-)
>
> (I suppose some hacker could or has come out with a tool that
> makes the head seek seek seek until the stepper motor wears out
> or melts or blows up or something, just to prove me wrong. :-) )

Actually, you can write a program that slowly varies the delay
between back-and-forth head seeks, and eventually, you will hit
the harmonic frequency of the drive chassis, and the whole thing
will shake itself to death  (kind of like the Verazanno Narrows
bridge in Tacoma, Washington that lasted for all of three months...
it's the weirdest thing, watching movies of solid concrete flexing
like a long piece of white engineer's eraser (you know, the kind
in a long clicker, like Pentel and other make..)

> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Oliver Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UNIX/Linux and DNA
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 06:26:26 GMT

Oliver Baker wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > A little info on how Unix and Linux helped map human DNA...
> >
> > http://www.vnunet.com/News/1104919
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> That article doesn't lead me to think there's a whole lot of Linux going
> on at the Sanger Center.

They have a 48 node Linux Pentium cluster for doing searches of the
total DNA database, says one of the IT slides on the Sanger Web page.

.

.

.

.

------------------------------

From: Sascha Bohnenkamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 08:50:19 +0200

> > ok try a fresh install of NT4 on current hardware and THAN tell my that
> > it is easier than puting
> > suse (or something like this) on the same pc ...
>
> As a Linux distro from mid 1996 ?  It's certainly no *harder*....
even such old ones are ok, but MS has enough time to upgrade their
shipping products ... not only sending SP aroung to support 'huge'
HD (> 4GB etc.)

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 03:05:54 -0400

Jim Cameron wrote:

> In article <8jgl4e$mja$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >My server and other "mission critical" hosts have been up and running now
> >for more than six months!
>
> Congratulations.
>
> One of my colleagues here is fond of taunting me because "his" server
> (scientific number-crunching) has been up for more than a year while
> "mine" (everything else) has only been up for just under 4 months
> (largely because of an incident where the CD writer shat itself all
> over the SCSI bus on the morning of a conference ... waiting for an
> 18GB fsck to see whether everybody's presentations are still there is
> not fun, but I digress).
>
> Some of you will recall the recent hoo-ha about the security hole in
> wu-ftpd. I read about it on bugtraq, went to the source, patched it,
> recompiled and replaced. No downtime. No reboot. Not even an
> interruption in ftp service. What would I have done had it been NT?

Day of discovery:
M$: "Uh....there's no  bug!"

D + 2 weeks
M$: "We told you, there's no bug!"

D + 6 months
M$: Um, if you need that bug fixed, you can get it in the service pack.

D + 2 years
M$: If you need that bug PROPERLY patched, you can fork over another
        $600 for an upgrade.
D + 3 years
MS: There's no bug!

Repeat until you die, or Judge Jackson eviscerates the SOB's....

> jim
> --
> http://madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk/people/jim/
>   "Revenge is an integral part of forgiving and forgetting" -The BOFH

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm  not
ready.)
Date: 3 Jul 2000 07:14:44 GMT

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 14:50:10 GMT, Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gonzo wrote:
> >
> > Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > AMD is ok. Watch out for the K6-3D, though. Some stores have taken it
> > > out, because it would consistently slow down after about half an hour.
> >
> > Huh?  Where did you get that?
>
> I don't remember exactly where i read that. It was in some computer
> magazine several months ago. The problem mentioned something about
> temperature in insufficiently cooled rooms. It seems like normal room
> temperature was already too hot for the K6-3D.

I have a K6-III 400, and it does not exhibit this problem.

--
Darren Winsper (El Capitano) - ICQ #8899775
Stellar Legacy project member - http://stellarlegacy.sourceforge.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Walker)
Date: 3 Jul 2000 01:09:10 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Why not?
>
>Solaris/HP-UX/IRIX have been the desktop OS for all of Ford and GM's
>Engineers, Designers, Detailers, and CAM guys for a decade.
>
>Similarly for Chrysler and AIX, as well as Boeing Aircraft (Chrysler
>and Boeing use CATIA, which is only avialble on AIX).

These are technical users, or at least more technical than your average
Joe Sixpack.  Even with a nice desktop, some things can only be done on a
command line.  Most typical Windows users are scared to death of a command
line.  I suppose for casual users all the commonly used applications such
as web browser, office suites and such can be put on desktop menus.  A lot
of non technical people will only try Linux if it looks and behaves like the
point and drool system they are used to.  The current desktops don't do that
yet, anyway.  Also, most Windows users use Win 9X, and have no concept of
a multiuser OS, or any concept of a priveledged (sp?) user.  They are used
to being able to run anything or do anything under Windows, not having to
login as root to install software or do system configuration/administration.

I hope I am wrong.  I would love to see Linux seriously compete with
Windows in the desktop arena, but I really don't see that happening anytime
soon.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where did all my windows go?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:14:26 GMT

In article <8jm4sa$tnk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) wrote:
> You could have read the fucking manual.

The manual that came with Linux Mandrake 7.0 does not explain how to get
out of this situation. Any other manual (HOWTO etc) I could not access.
So, please o great one, tell me how I'm supposed to read something I had
no access to at the time?

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:16:13 GMT

In article <8jmhkn$4va$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> If it was W@K you would have had to reboot!

What is W@K?

If you mean Windows 98 SE, yes I agree.

If you mean Windows 2000, it would have told me what just died (which
Linux did not) and would have carried on as if nothing had happened.

This is one area Windows 2000 scores over Linux.

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:24:16 GMT

In article <8jok0r$82h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) wrote:
> What ive figured out is that you dont know what youre talking about,
at all.

That's an interesting conclusion.

> Another thing that ive figured out is that its painfully obvious that
> you have either A. never attempted to retain any information from
documentation
> on either KDE or linux, or B. have never attempted to actually find
any
> documentation on either linux or KDE, because if you had done either
of
> these things, you wouldnt be asking the incredibly stupid questions
that
> you have.

See above.

> So here we have a windows user who refuses to RTFM, tries linux,
breaks it,
> and then blames it on the operating system.

Dream on.

If a kernel oops is not a fault of the OS...
If a system hang is not a fault of the OS...

If a desktop hang is not a fault of the OS...

...then you are seriously up the creek without a paddle.

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:20:30 GMT

In article <8jooej$ilu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Very productive attitude! you asked and I replied. You have been
> MISUSING THE TERM LINUX! I have ben trying to Educate your to the
> difference but you continue to missuse the term linux to continue your
> trolling ways. As I said earlier, if you know the difference between
KDE
> and Linux continue to bash linux for a KDE problem then you are a
troll.
> thus, you are a troll plain and symple!

OK, let's take a look at this from another angle shall we.

When you say Windows, do you mean Windows 98 SE or Windows 2000? If you
don't specify, how do I know what you're talking about? The two systems
are different. What causes a crash on one system hardly causes a problem
on the other. Therefore I feel perfectly justified to use Linux where
maybe Linux desktop (KDE) might be better.

> The truly pathetic thing is that you whine when people call you stupid
> because you can not learn to communicate properly! Despite people
trying
> to correct your use of misuse of the term Linux, you continue to
misuse
> it. Probably because you know it is inflamitory. And *YOU* want to
treat
> me like a child???? Grow UP!

Fine. When I see Windows being correctly specified, I'll accord you guys
the same courtesy. So long as I see Windows being called WinSucks or
WinLose, and not Windows 98 SE or Windows 2000, I'll carry on using
Linux.

> C'ya Little boy!

Bye bye, let me know when you get out of Kindergarden!

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:29:31 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Funny that you never mention that explore.exe crashes all the time
> (even under Windows 2000)...

I'm aware of explorer crashing on Windows 98 SE but not on Windows 2000.
I did descover that some of the causes of explorer crashing were due to
it not handling exceptions very well, caused by other applications.

In any case, this is totally irrelevant to my usage of the expression
"Linux"

> I've seen BSODs under NT for no apparant reason at all.

I haven't.

> > (ii)        Freeze in postfix on shutdown
>
> I've seen the same thing happen under Windows (ie, "Please wait while
> NT finishes saving data to disk"  and you wait and wait and wait and
> wait...)

I've seen Windows 98 SE hang on shutdown - though not lately since I
installed a patch. I've never seen Windows NT hang on shutdown.

> Complain to iomega.

Somebody here claimed USB devices work. My system appears to recognise
the USB device, however it does not work.

> Sigh.  Give up and just use Windows.
>
> We won't care.  Honestly.  All your anecdotal evidence can be easily
> counterd with other anecdotal evidence.  Linux isn't perfect.  Windows
> isn't either.

I realise neither system isn't perfect. However, I object to statements
like "Linux is faster than Windows", and "The Linux desktop is as good
as Windows".

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:30:40 GMT

In article <8joolq$iv2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Grow up. SO many people who know far more than you about linux have
been
> critical of your use of the term Linux it's time you realized that you
> are wrong.

Fine, let everyone else start using the term Windows 98 SE or Windows
2000 and I'll consider it.

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:37:31 GMT

> When W2K bluescreens you have to re-boot.  When 98 bluescreens, you
re-boot.
> When NT blue screens, you re-boot.

When an application dies on Windows 98, it may cause a BSOD. When an
application dies on Windows 2000, you get an error dialog but not a
BSOD.

> There's no way to re-start anything on windows without re-booting it.
> Even applications which DIE and leave the OS intact OFTEN leave you
> re-booting the OS anyway due to the thrash and left over .DLL's they
leave
> lying
> around in memory.

Which Windows are you talking about here?

> See above = re-boot machine.

Nope. Close the error message and carry on.

> Well Pete,
>
> If we operated our machines such as you do and only wait for some
warning
> message
> to alert us something is wrong, then why did you have a problem with
KFM in
> the first
> place?  No warning message occured!

Huh? My point is I got no message after it occured. Nothing told me what
happened. Even the system logs seem to have no mention of it.

> It's because you are a total fool Pete.
> You continually blow the  Windows Horn as if they had a tommorrow!

Ahah, here comes the propaganda bit you are becoming famous for.

> It's as if you were a marketing executive for the doomed AMC motor
> corps and were planning your advertising comeback for 2001!

> You represent Microsoft, a corporation with a reputation lower than
snakes
> piss!

Ahah, here comes the standard "if you like Windows, you must be working
for them".

> Then you expect people to buy into your crap about Windows!
> Windows 2000 is an operating system which couldn't survive a month
> without re-booting, even if you were only using it for your bedroom
> nightlight!

Again more drivel.

> Linux on the other hand is an actual operating system with
> so much control and functionality, I'll say there is no other PC
> operating system which can match it in the last 5 years.

ROFL.

> This is why people call you moron and idiot Pete!

I'm starting to realise who the moron and idiot is here Charlie.

> It's because of your infantile messages of futility for
> Microsoft....

Your rants and raves are amazing.

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: We WANT different enviroments (Was: Linux, easy to use?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:44:06 GMT

In article <8jm4v4$tnk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) wrote:
> i.e. you want ten years worth of development done RIGHT NOW, because
> YOU NEED IT.

Ten years... my god is it really going to take that long? Blimey, I may
as well stick with Windows, it has it now!

> If you werent such a helpless putz, youd be helping create it.

Why should I help a bunch of people who call me names?

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:41:07 GMT

In article <8jlqhs$m5u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Many of the incosistancys your are whining about come from legacy
> applications. KDE and GNOME are both new. Applications are in
> developement that will take advantage of the desktops you are using.

So, Linux is still playing catchup then?

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:42:03 GMT

In article <8jluno$1m39$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote:
> Have you found something where the usual
> left-mouse select = snarf
> middle-mouse = barf
> doesn't work?

XV and XMovie.