Linux-Advocacy Digest #436, Volume #28           Wed, 16 Aug 00 15:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Free Systems Phylosophy vs. Free Software Philosophy (Adam Shapira)
  Re: Microsoft MCSE ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform (void)
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform (void)
  Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous Windtrolls
and Authentic Linvocates) ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: The dusty Linux shelves at CompUSA (Brian Langenberger)
  Re: The dusty Linux shelves at CompUSA
  Re: The dusty Linux shelves at CompUSA ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: It's official, NT beats Linux (?) (mark)
  Re: FAQ for c.o.m.n.a Now Available! ("Robert Moir")
  Re: MCSE != Engineer (Was: Microsoft MCSE ("Gabriel Swanson")
  Re: So ya' wanna' run Linux?...I have a bridge for sale in Bklyn..... (mark)
  Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE) (The Ghost In The
Machine)
  Re: MCSE != Engineer (Was: Microsoft MCSE (Lugo)
  Re: MCSE != Engineer (Was: Microsoft MCSE (lilo)
  Re: It's official, NT beats Linux (?) (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Re: FAQ for c.o.m.n.a Now Available! (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  6 Need Developers ("Scott A. Vigil")
  Case study: Porting DB2 to Linux (fyi) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  7 Need Developers ("Scott A. Vigil")
  Re: Scheme == Beginners language (Greg Horne)
  Re: The dusty Linux shelves at CompUSA (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: It's official, NT beats Linux (?) (Bob Hauck)

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:26:32 -0400
From: Adam Shapira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Free Systems Phylosophy vs. Free Software Philosophy

I'm putting together a web-site about what I call
the "Free Systems Philosophy". Unlike the Free
Software Philosophy, the Free Systems Philosophy
is a lot less judgemental against developers who
have to write proprietary High-End applications to
support themselves ... but strongly maintains that
Operating Systems need to be free.

Here's what I have so far:
  http://www.vic.com/~vorlon/freeos/concept.html

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft MCSE
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:43:09 -0500

> >  The techniques you mention are impossible to implement in
> > these languages, thus a developer in those languages has no need to
> > understand them.
>
> Wrong.  IF a programmer's code TRIGGERS garbage collection, then
> he would be well advised to understand how it works.

Why?  In those langauges, it just works.  What need is there to understand
it?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (void)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: 16 Aug 2000 17:07:49 GMT

[Windows and Mac groups removed]

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 03:14:09 +1000, Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> Mind you, expecting a rank newbie to make this correspondence may
>> be a bit much.  (Ideally, chmod(1) would have a "see also"
>> to chmod(2).)
>
>But it does (at least my FreeBSD box's man pages do):

The GNU version doesn't.

--
 Ben

220 go.ahead.make.my.day ESMTP Postfix

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (void)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Date: 16 Aug 2000 16:48:35 GMT

[Windows and Mac groups removed]

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:42:41 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Mind you, expecting a rank newbie to make this correspondence may
>be a bit much.  (Ideally, chmod(1) would have a "see also"
>to chmod(2).)

On Solaris and FreeBSD, it does.

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous
Windtrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:47:24 -0500

No, you said:

> Other than support for "drag an drop" I am unaware of any service that
> Explorer provides that fvwm does not.  Even then most of the "drag and
> drop" is provided by shared libraries and explorer proper.

My reply to that was that explorer provided other features that fvwm did
not.

news:8ndhhj$ner$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The dusty Linux shelves at CompUSA
Date: 16 Aug 2000 17:33:07 GMT

OSguy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

:> A couple of weeks ago I did a little experiment at one of the NYC
:> CompUSA stores,

: Mistake #1:  Most serious computer people I know go to Best Buy for shelf
: items.....most would rather not step into CompUSA.

:> I counted the Linux boxes on the shelves and marked
:> each one with a fluorescent high lighter to track them.

: I bet CompUSA loved that.  Did you clear it with them?  Also, have you
: considered that most shoppers like me won't pick up an item that looks
: less than original manufacturer's packaging (including weird marks) for
: the simple reason that the item may have been a repackaged or reused item
: and therefore missing some contents?  I have seen, on some occasions,
: some CompUSA stores put items back on the shelves as though they are
: original packaging.

The whole story is pure fiction, obviously.  The troll's point of
insult is "Linux is not selling, therefore Linux is a failure"
and his method is to hone the fake "checked the boxes at CompUSA"
story until it works.  The last time he tried it, his story
was along the lines of:  "no boxes were missing in the Linux
aisle", but he neglected the fact that store operators quickly
restock after purchases.  So, in order to counter that, he's
added the new element of "I marked the boxes" - which is
completely ridiculous.

Of course, whether or not Linux sells has nothing to do with
whether or not people will use it or support it, but I'll
play along on the troll's terms.  To counter the claim,
ComputerWorld (June 2000) reports:

"It's getting to be old hat, but the Linux parade continues. Evans
 Marketing Services claims that the number of large corporations
 running Linux increased by 95 percent in the last half of 1999. That's
 a big jump, and it shows the continued trend toward Linux growth. Evans
 Marketing's survey also showed that the number of companies running
 Linux on more than 25 percent of their servers jumped
 from less than 2 percent in May 1999 to nearly 13 percent in
 December 1999. Running Linux on more than one-fourth of their
 servers is a big commitment for companies to make, and this shows
 quite startling growth in just six months."

from:  http://www.computeruser.com/articles/1906,4,8,1,0601,00.html

But facing this sort of reality tends to make the trolls very
unhappy.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:35:53 -0700

OSguy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Linux "The OS that needs CPR right out of the box"
>
> Why?  My distro installed perfectly (with only 1 reboot at the END of
> installation) and I didn't have to even buy it out of the box.  And,
> shudder, I actually put on a release candidate kernel (linux-2.4.0-test5)
> and it works perfectly!  I sure can't say 'perfectly' with Windows, but I
> have had to jump start Windows' installation many times.

That was a little misphrased, it should have read:

Linux "The OS the give CPR right out of the box"

Where CPR = Consistant Productive Results

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:44:23 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello deadpenguin/steve/simon/etc,
>
> You still have not posted and apology and retration of your dishonet and
> malicious assult on my credibility.  Until you have, your credibility is
> zero.

I notice that you carefully avoided saying that his credibility will rise
above zero if he does apologize and retract.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: It's official, NT beats Linux (?)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:37:03 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
>mark wrote:

>> >Get into books.  They are cheaper, they last longer, and nobody is
>> >throwing a hissy fit about buying the latest 'boy-band' type of book.
>>
>> Except if you _really_ want the next one from author x or y, you need
>> to shell out for the hardback, or if you can hold back, then the large-
>> page version, then, finally, sometime in the future, the standard
>> paperback.  It's not that much better.
>>
>> Or, watch out for the 'ASIMOV' that's really written by someone else.
>>
>> And so on.
>
>True enough, but a book will entertain you for a lot longer than a movie
>or an album.  And if you are careful, you can still get 'educational'
>entertainment from a book.  I'm not too sure about other forms of
>entertainment anymore.  (I've become a bit jaded to the concept of
>educational television, as most of it appears to be more oriented
>towards 'political education' which is actually a 'agree with me' type
>of brainwashing.  <sigh>)
>
>--

I do read loads of books and don't watch much telly, so I guess I agree
with you on this.  I do watch vids, but generally they're either SF or
Martial Arts ones (I like the Hong-Kong made ones... :).  I re-read all
the books that I find to be of at least vaguely acceptable quality.
I'm finding 'educational' tv to be becoming sound-bites of fact linked
by the kind of emotional language beloved of romance writers. - He
flared!  Maybe I'm just getting old?

--
Mark - remove any ham to reply.
"A compiler is a program that takes the pseudo-English gibberish produced

------------------------------

From: "Robert Moir" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FAQ for c.o.m.n.a Now Available!
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:59:16 +0100

> > Nope. Its me realising its not worth my time attempting to talk to you.
> > notice you don't even bother answering the rest of my post. Can I
assume,
> > then, that you are conceding the point about the value, or lack of it,
in
> > your posts?
>
> I concede that you are running away.

And I concede that you appear to be either dull witted or trolling. *plonk*

------------------------------

From: "Gabriel Swanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MCSE != Engineer (Was: Microsoft MCSE
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:47:04 -0600

Here's a comprehensive list
http://www.onramp.ca/~adb/asr/mcse.txt

Personal favorite - Minion of the Crappy Software Empire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: So ya' wanna' run Linux?...I have a bridge for sale in Bklyn.....
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:54:18 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Vester wrote:
>Hi
>Steve/Mike/Simon/teknite/keymaster/keys88/"S"/Sponge/Syphon/
>"Sewer Rat"/Sarek/steveno/scummer/McSwain/Swango/piddy/
>pickle_pete/wazzoo/"leg
>log"/mike_hunt/Heather/Amy/claire_lynn/
>susie_wong/Ishmeal_hafizi/"Saul Goldblatt"/Proculous/
>Tiberious/Jerry_Butler/"Tim Palmer"/BklynBoy/bison/Wobbles/
>screwbilk/deadpenguin/"%^$&&&&&&&&&&&&@!!!!!!!!!!!!!.com"/
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]/etc.

Mike - you forgot 'the cat/hepcat' for your list :)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:12:22 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Nathaniel Jay Lee
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:24:24 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Nathaniel Jay Lee
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  wrote
>> on Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:15:30 -0500
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> >Don't tell me, let me guess.  You're also the type of people that think
>> >any 'adult' that watches cartoons is automatically a complete idiot.
>>
>> Does Japanese anime count? :-)
>
>Absolutely.  I've watched my share of that as well.  Although as far as
>I'm concerned nothing beats the original Robotech series (and it's
>sequel series), and I've been told that those 'aren't real anime'.

Robotech looks like real enough anime to me, from what I've seen of anime.
I watched Robotech back in the 80's, although I remember very little
about it except for one scene where the alien spacecraft's lifters
decided to go up -- sans alien spacecraft.  Somebody then says
"Don't worry, we've got good old-fashioned Earth rockets" or somesuch.

I was thinking Tenchi Muyo, admittedly -- entertaining stuff,
but one wonders if they were in a hurry to write it. :-)  (Yeah,
sure, it makes perfect sense for a woman to be entombed for
700 years, want to kill her releaser, then fall in love with him...
happens every day...It gets stranger from there.)

>> >You'd be suprised how many people watch 'stupid' shows that have quite a
>> >bit of intelligence.  Dan Simmons (one of my favorite authors, and
>> >extremely intelligent) watches Mystery Science Theater 3000, and I don't
>> >think anyone would claim that is hi-brow entertainment :-).
>>
>> No, but it had some wonderful moments. :-)  My fave bad movie is
>> Prince In Space.  I guess it was that absolutely awful laugh.... :-)
>
>Oh gawd, that movie truly sucked.  But it was beautiful MST3K fodder.

Indeed, although Plan 9 was worse.  At least in Prince In Space
the lights blinked. :-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lugo)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:07:18 GMT

Sorry guys, but the the correct version is

MCSE = Minesweeper Consultant and Solitare Engineer

Lugo

------------------------------

From: lilo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:21:31 GMT

Lugo wrote:

> Sorry guys, but the the correct version is
>
> MCSE = Minesweeper Consultant and Solitare Engineer

No, your wrong. That should be Solitaire Expert.:)

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:15:55 -0500

mark wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
> >mark wrote:

> >> Except if you _really_ want the next one from author x or y, you need
> >> to shell out for the hardback, or if you can hold back, then the large-
> >> page version, then, finally, sometime in the future, the standard
> >> paperback.  It's not that much better.
> >>
> >> Or, watch out for the 'ASIMOV' that's really written by someone else.
> >>
> >> And so on.
> >
> >True enough, but a book will entertain you for a lot longer than a movie
> >or an album.  And if you are careful, you can still get 'educational'
> >entertainment from a book.  I'm not too sure about other forms of
> >entertainment anymore.  (I've become a bit jaded to the concept of
> >educational television, as most of it appears to be more oriented
> >towards 'political education' which is actually a 'agree with me' type
> >of brainwashing.  <sigh>)
> >
> >--
>
> I do read loads of books and don't watch much telly, so I guess I agree
> with you on this.  I do watch vids, but generally they're either SF or
> Martial Arts ones (I like the Hong-Kong made ones... :).  I re-read all
> the books that I find to be of at least vaguely acceptable quality.
> I'm finding 'educational' tv to be becoming sound-bites of fact linked
> by the kind of emotional language beloved of romance writers. - He
> flared!  Maybe I'm just getting old?

I'm wondering if that isn't part of my problem too.  I know, I'm 'only'
26, but I feel like I'm about four hundred and thirty-five sometimes.
I've done an awful lot for someone my age, and have aged considerably
during that time (yet haven't completely given up on fun, I still like
cartoons and toys:-).  But the older I get, the more knowledge I
consume, the less acceptable most TV and most other 'popular culture'
entertainment seems to me.  Not that I want to tell others it isn't OK
for them, but I just don't see the point of it for myself.  It must be
age.  Either that, or society is decaying faster every day.  I'd expect
either of them (or both) to be true.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:16:52 -0500

Robert Moir wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Nope. Its me realising its not worth my time attempting to talk to you.
> > > notice you don't even bother answering the rest of my post. Can I
> assume,
> > > then, that you are conceding the point about the value, or lack of it,
> in
> > > your posts?
> >
> > I concede that you are running away.
>
> And I concede that you appear to be either dull witted or trolling. *plonk*

Boy Aaron, you seem to have impressed a lot of people lately!

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: "Scott A. Vigil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.computer.consultant.ads,comp.software-eng,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.sys5.misc
Subject: 6 Need Developers
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:29:24 GMT

6

Hello Developers,

We have several consulting positions available for people interested in
helping our customers put databases in their embedded systems.  If
you have experience in one or more of the following and can handle up
to 25% travel, we may be interested in you.

o embedded C or C++
o real-time operating systems
o file systems
o databases

Centura Solutions is a consulting firm which specializes in providing
solutions to users of database, connectivity and integrated development
products.  We have implemented embedded solutions for companies such as
Lucent, Nortel and Hughes Networks.  Centura has the stability of an
established company and the excitement of an internet startup.

If such a faced paced, performance oriented environment sounds good to
you, we may have your dream job.  Send us your resume.

The opportunity is in Seattle.  However, if you really think you're hot
stuff but must stay in California or on the East coast, send in your resume
anyways.  We might be able to make a deal.

Send resume to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please do _not_ hit <reply>.
Also, please do not post reply to news group.

Centura Solutions
1111 3rd Avenue, twenty-eighth floor
Seattle, WA 98101
http://www.centurasolutions.com/solutions/whatwedo.asp
http://www.centurasoft.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Case study: Porting DB2 to Linux (fyi)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:23:17 GMT

I was at the Linux World conference and I ran across a non-IBM girls
who was yelling,  "I love DB2".  Yesterday IBM developerWorks Open
Source Zone posted a Case Study on the early developments of IBM DB2
for Linux.  In this piece members of the IBM dB2 team tell their story
and offer insights.   I just though some of you DB2 lovers may enjoy
this.

Case study: Porting DB2 to Linux:  Behind the scenes with IBM's DB2 team
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/db2/index.html?
open&l=253,t=gr,p=lDB2

From: Greg Horne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scheme == Beginners language
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:02:09 -0500

Scheme was used in a programming language theory course I took in university
to illustrate such concepts as variable scoping, expression evaluation, simple
parsing and code generation (and interpretation thereof), as well as some
basic data structures.  This course came after an introductory course using
SmallTalk.  Scheme is not the easiest language if you come from a procedural
language background but certainly no harder than learning SmallTalk, an truly
object-oriented language, after coming from a similar background.  In fact, I
have seen entire interpreters written in Scheme.

Gregory D. Horne
Systems Analyst

--

Gregory D. Horne          L I N U X       .~.
Systems Analyst          The  Choice      /V\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:51:00 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Nathaniel Jay Lee
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:59:25 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> I'll bet they sell 200 times that of PowderPuff Girls (a kids game for
>> Windows).... I saw 3 people on line buying that game the day I was
>> there.
>
>All your other stuff is pretty redundant, but you dare to bring up the
>PowderPuff Girls?  I'm outraged!

Pedant point.

POWERPuff.

(I watch 'em too. :-) )

>(For those that don't know I watch Cartoon Network on a regular basis
>and PowderPuff girls rock!  Also, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, I am
>Weasle (I. R. Baboon), Cow and Chicken, and of course the old Looney
>Tunes (can anybody ever get enough of them?).  And if you really think
>this is a strike against me, so be it.  You gots ta keep yo sense o'
>humor, and watching cartoons can be real relaxing.  Shut down the brain
>and watch the show.  Ahhhhhh.)

Like the one episode of Dexter's Lab where his brain shuts down
because of overheating, his sister dresses him up as a girl, and
he ends up kissing the butt of a duck.  (Or was it a goose?)

:-)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- "there's doom and gloom when things go boom..."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:02:47 GMT

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:15:55 -0500, Nathaniel Jay Lee
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>But the older I get, the more knowledge I consume, the less acceptable
>most TV and most other 'popular culture' entertainment seems to me.

>It must be age.

I think so.  Most popular culture is targeted to that 18-34 demographic
that supposedly spends a lot of money on entertainment.  As you get
near to and pass the upper end of that range, have kids, etc, it all
becomes less and less relevant to you.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.