From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:39:46 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> Really?  When I ventured into the arena of Engineering (which I promptly
> scurried away from...)  Everyone cross associated AutoDesk's AutoCAD
> software as a critical, modern engineering tool.

AutoCAD is 2nd-rate software, acceptable only by people who are
satisfied with 2nd-rate platforms (M$) that it runs on.

AutoCAD is a 2-Dimensional CAD system.  It's ok for designing cabinets
and houses, but completely UN-suitable for designing anything with moving parts.
Especially oddly shaped parts like crank shafts.

Corollary:  AutoCAD is good as a cheap LEARNING tool.

> Of course, if you weren't such a dumb, tight ass, you'd see past this
> childish, and obsessive minutia and see the "BIG PICTURE" that a lot of
> things just get cross associated, like AutoCAD, the concept of "CAD", and
> general engineering.

I have YEARS of experience supporting such environments.
You don't.

so solly.

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Kyle Jacobs wrote:
> > >
> > > Only because all that "wonderful" engineering software, and those 64bit
> > > processors to run the software only have UNIX platforms...
> >
> > CAD is *NOT* "engineering software," you dumbass.
> > CAD is DRAFTING software.
> >

> > Data can be exported into non-proprietary formats (IGES, etc.) for
> > exchange with other platforms.
> >
> > Now...answer this....Considering that Unigraphics runs on NT as well as
> > most Unix platforms, please explain why all CAD work is, if NT is
> > supposedly cheaper and easier to administrate, and easier to use for
> > Joe non-CS major (i.e. 99.999% of all automotive designers, detailers
> > and checkers), then why does General Motors ****NOT**** run UG on NT?
> >
> > I'll tell you why?
> >
> > Because using Unix, All of GM's 15,000 UG workstations can be
> administrated
> > from two small offices in Troy, Michigan by a handful of people.
> >
> > Conversely, doing it with NT would require a substantial number of
> > support personnel AT EVERY SITE.
> >

> > > CDE had FUNCTIONALITY in it, be it at the cost of some intuitiveness.
> As
> > > long as Sun stands behind GNOME for it's central UI system, I'll have no
> > > problem with it.  (It's Linux that bothers me with GNOME, or any other
> > > interface for that matter anyway).
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> that
> > > this
> > > be.

> Linux.com
> will
> > > be,

> > > fact,
> the
> industries...EVERYWHERE,

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A salutary lesson about open source
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:47:24 -0500

Bones wrote:

> > In article <3a5f5f0c$0$45783$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Conrad Rutherford wrote:
>
> > What good is there to have a 100% secret backdoor? If no one knows it's
> > there, it's not useful eh? Just like the Interbase thingy, it wasn't a
> > security threat UNTIL the open source folks published the backdoor. Since
> > then there has been a HUGE upswing in port scans for the port Interbase
> > exposes - gee, great.
>
> Uh oh, I see where this is headed...
>
>                 Open Source == Automatic Security Exploits
>
> Go and read http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,26611,00.html to get
> Borland's side of the story.
>
> So...
>
> I don't know about anyone else here, but if I was taking a crack at some
> lesser-known database box that happened to be accessible to me via a
> network, I wouldn't just scan a couple of ports and split, I would run the
> range from 1 to 64K (probably not all at once). How could a backdoor which
> has something listening on a TCP port *not* be discovered?
>
> > Guess we'll force people to patch it by making it accessible to every
> > script kiddie out there.
>
> Open Source "forcing patches" on people... heh heh, that's funny.
>
> Who is out there connecting database servers directly to the Internet?
> Answer: Mindless Purchasing Automatons who have total trust in the retail
> hype and no concept of system security. The assume "they wouldn't be selling
> the product if it wasn't secure right?" Wrong. Borland's engineers back me
> up on this one:
>
> "Like the original security scheme [Interbase Security] replaced, it was not
> designed for wide open Internet database access..."
>
> How many times does this have to happen before IT folk figure out that they
> can't trust a company's assessment of the security of their own product?

Depends if the IT folks in question have ever used Non-Mafiasoft
platforms or not.

> They *must* aggressively protect their service-boxen. Audit audit audit, log
> everything and backup often.
>
> ----
> Bones

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Linux *has* the EDGE!
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:00:27 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Fri, 12 Jan 2001 20:44:16 +0000
<u_J76.170312$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Yatima wrote:
>
>> >Going backwards?
>> >

>> How is it backwards? Just because GUI interfaces are more recent it does
>> not *automatically* make them better.
>
>I was being sarcastic. CLI's are from the '70's. That doesn't make them
>worse, just backward in time.

Modern CLIs have a few capabilities that the ones from the 70's simply
didn't have, such as command and file completion, and arrowkey history
(ksh did (does?) have "hjkl"-key history, though, if one hits ESC first).

Note that bash implements both arrowkey history and CSH-like
"bang"-history on Linux.

>--
>Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

                    The Usenet channel.  All messages, all the time.

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Do any software engineering jobs pay $800,000/year?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:48:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> jtnews wrote:
> >
> > Do any software engineering jobs pay $800,000/year
> > after taxes?
> >
> > I'd like to work on a software engineering job,
> > but I'd need that much to compensate for lost
> > income for what I'm doing now.
>
> What are you doing now? dealing drugs?

I think he takes them.

> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer
> DNRC Minister of all I survey
> ICQ # 3056642
>
> H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
>     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
>     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
>     you are lazy, stupid people"
>
> I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
>    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
>    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
>    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
> J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
>    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
>    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
>
> A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
>
> B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
>    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
>    direction that she doesn't like.
>
> C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
> D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
>    ...despite (C) above.
>
> E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
>    her behavior improves.
>
> F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues
against
>    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
> G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake 7.2 and the banana peel
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:51:38 GMT

I always like how people like this continualy claim to have problems
with Linux but when I review his posting history on Deja, not a single
post to a technical news group. Seems very odd to me.

In article <D2K76.170316$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Oopsie!
>
> I just rebuilt my 166MHz server with a 30GByte ATA66 drive and an
ATA100

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:56:24 GMT

In article <xaT76.31619$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> This gets better!
>
> I reinstalled because I wanted to use ReiserFS, the journaling file
system.
> That all went smoothly and everything seemed to be working.
>
> I moved the machine backup upstairs, plugged it into my network and
> *oopsie* can't talk to the other machine! I can see the lights
flashing on
> the hub but they can't see each other.
>
> Oh dear, now what I have done wrong?
>
> Linux is SO much better than Windows!

Snicker. Good, go back to it.

> --
> Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

Highly unlikely.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:59:08 GMT

In article <5iZ76.32174$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Well considering that you just have to enter the little
> > numbers into the little boxes much like you would do for
> > WinDOS or NT, the obvious conclusion would be operator
> > error.
>
> Nope, I checked with ifconfig. Everything was correct. Yet, unable to
see
> other machine. Most peculiar.

Better check to make sure the cable is pluged in. Based on your past
performance, I'll bet you're connecting an ethenet card to a token ring
network.

Why is it that you constanly bitch about problems but never ask
questions in a technical news group?

From: Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Office Porting to OS X--Linux Next?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:14:52 +0000

Craig Kelley wrote:

> Richard Storey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

>> "SAN FRANCISCO -- Apple's Mac OS X got a big boost on Wednesday when
>> Microsoft said it will ship its Office productivity suite for the new
>> operating system in the fall. "
>>
>> "A working version of the productivity suite, which includes the Word,
>> Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage applications, was demonstrated at a hotel
>> near the Macworld conference."
>>
>> excerpted from Wired article 2001/01/11.
>>
>> Well, I'm new to Linux and I'm no programmer so I hope to get some comments
>> here to answer the subject question by those who do know.  From my limited
>> knowledge I know that OS X is based on a version of the Mach kernel which
>> is a BSD version of Unix--right?  Therefore, would it not stand to reason
>> that a port to Linux or FreeBSD would be possible after OS X and would be
>> done with far less effort than the jump from Win-foo to OS X?
>

> Nope.  MacOS X uses Quartz.  Linux uses X11.  They are completely
> different.

So? One of the beauties of X is its portability. You can get X servers
for Windows and MacOS which run on top of the existing windowing system.
An X server would allow any apps to be very easily ported.

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold | Edward Rosten
weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?      | u98ejr

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:17:56 +0000

Mig wrote:

> Its amazing but wintrolls are the only ones that brag about how bad they
> are with computers.. Unbeliavable that some of them even consider
> themselves to be computer craftsmen and in the same post cant have
> anything work.

Who's bragging about how bad they are with computers? Not me!

I'm merely pointing out the weaknesses of this so called GREAT product
Linux.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:19:33 +0000

sfcybear wrote:

> Better check to make sure the cable is pluged in. Based on your past
> performance, I'll bet you're connecting an ethenet card to a token ring
> network.

That explains why the lights flash on the hub. You did READ what I posted
didn't you?

> Why is it that you constanly bitch about problems but never ask
> questions in a technical news group?

Because it's not about posting problems here, is it. I'm posting examples
of why Linux is not so great.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:21:59 +0000

sfcybear wrote:

> > Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2
>
> Highly unlikely.

Care to examine my message headers:

Path:nnrp3.clara.net!newspeer.clara.net!news.clara.net!nnrp4.clara.net.POSTED!not-for-mail
From:Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups:comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date:Sat, 13 Jan 2001 07:11:32 +0000
NNTP-Posting-Host:212.126.147.184
X-Complaints-To:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
X-Trace:nnrp4.clara.net 979369757 212.126.147.184 (Sat, 13 Jan 2001
07:09:17 GMT)
NNTP-Posting-Date:Sat, 13 Jan 2001 07:09:17 GMT
Xref:newspeer.clara.net comp.os.linux.advocacy:386867

Now what does it say - User Agent: KNode

KNode is part of KDE.

What does KDE run on?

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:22:34 +0000

sfcybear wrote:

> I always like how people like this continualy claim to have problems
> with Linux but when I review his posting history on Deja, not a single
> post to a technical news group. Seems very odd to me.

Just posting examples of how GREAT the Linux product is.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why does Win2k always fail in running time?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 13:28:52 -0500

Bones wrote:

> > In article <93h3n3$63q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Stuart Fox wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Crap.  Windows NT has been able to change the IP address without
> > rebooting since about SP4.
>
> I'm not trying to exacerbate the situation here, but honestly, what am I
> missing with an SP6 machine that refuses to change IPs on the fly? (No DNS
> or DHCP involved)

Do you know how to wave a dead chicken?

> BTW, I've tinkered with a Win2k Pro evaluation copy, and aside from it being
> painfully slow on a 64MB machine, it was nowhere near as unstable as the
> instigator of this thread claims. I think I'll break it out again, try to
> patch it with SP1 and see how long it runs, just for ha-has.
>
> ----
> Bones

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 02:47:17 +0200

"Mig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:93o02l$euj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
> > Actually, it shows how difficult it *IS* to find backdoors.
> >
> > It took them 6 months to find this backdoor, with thousands of people
> > looking at the source code.  Now, install a backdoor into open source
code
> > that only has few dozen people looking at it, and how long will it take
> > for
> > someone to find it?  Years, if at all.
>
> I too find the 6 months a long time.. but if the person that planted it
did
> a good job obfuscating the code then this could be a great achievment and
> proof of that "open source allways gets its man" :-).
> And i dont think that so many developers have been working on Interbase.
Or
> where did you get the thousands number?

It *wasn't* hidden.

It was something like this:

#define LOCKSMITH_USER "Politically"
#define LOCKSMITH_PASS "Correct"

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Email Lists
Date: 13 Jan 2001 11:42:13 -0700

"Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Craig Kelley wrote:
>
> > Somebody subscribed me to a bunch of Microsoft listserv lists.  I
> > imagine that it came from posting here...
>
> That's interesting.  Most *real* list servers require a confirmation
> originating from the actual address of the recipient.  I suppose MS has
> been "innovating" again, leaving out this critical step on their usual
> grounds of "ease of (ab)use".
>
> Either that, or you've been haxored.

I doubt someone would go to all the trouble just to subscribe me to
every single Microsoft Buisiness Newsletter, and considering my
experience with Exchange I'd probably figure the former.  :)

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Jan 2001 11:44:37 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) writes:

> Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Somebody subscribed me to a bunch of Microsoft listserv lists.  I
> > imagine that it came from posting here...
>
> > Anyone else had this problem?
>
> Post some headers of the request replies, and maybe we can figure out
> who did it.

I didn't recieve a request or confirmation, I just started getting
piles of "news" letters.  They are particularly funny, one of them is
from the "Freedom to Innovate" network, and talks about how Microsoft
is some sort of Robin Hood fighting the evil DOJ.

> Oooohhh, I hope hope hope hope HOPE it was flatfish.  :)

He would have done it years ago.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: 13 Jan 2001 11:46:34 -0700

"Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Fact: Current high Tux 2 score, 7500
> Fact: Current high IIS5 score, 7300
> Fact: 200 difference from 7500 is approx. 2.7%
> Fact: there are remedial math classes available

Good job!  Now you can pay more for *almost* as good performance!

:)

> Why not find some ancient IIS3 benchmark and declare Tux 2 beats it by
> 10000% - what's the value in that? Silly...

So, does this mean we can stop hearing about Mindcraft then?

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Jan 2001 11:48:23 -0700

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > Really? This must have been within the past month or two, because we
> > > were just having this debate about that time.
> >
> > Suse has been shipping reiser for several versions now.
> >
> > So, what would that be, at least a year?
>
> Ah... so the falacy comes to light.
>
> ReiserFS itself isn't shipping. It's still in beta, and it's
> still not stable.
>
> Suse, however, has been including the beta version in its
> distributions for people to mess with, but it's, in no way,
> the default FS because, of course, it's not stable.
>
> Why don't you just tell the truth, J Sloan?

Perhaps your time would be better spent finding cases in which
ReiserFS fell over in the last 9 months (if you can).

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]