From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Distribution reviews
Date: 6 Jul 2000 03:00:08 GMT

SamIam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Lynx (I think thats the name) fix's that but then you don't get all the
>pretty pictures.  But its great if all you're after is speed and the
>meat of the web page.

Another way, if Lynx doesn't suit you, is to turn off images in your
browser.  In Netscape, select Edit|Preferences from the menu, click on
Advanced, and uncheck the box that reads "Automatically load images and
other data types."

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Running Linsux on a Compaq?  Good luck!!!
Date: 6 Jul 2000 03:13:30 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Typical Linsux......
>
>And what was that about great hardware support of Linsux?
>

>http://infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/07/03/000703oppetreley.xml
>

>And this from a Linvocate, shame, shame.
>
>Well at least he is honest but based upon his history you have to
>wonder if he is really a Winvocate....
>
>He doesn't seem to have anything positive to say about Linsux.

Nothing positive?  You mean nothing positive like:

   "I know from experience that the most troublesome hardware for Linux
   comes from Compaq. Over the past few years, I have been able to install
   Linux quickly on just about any hardware -- from IBM laptops to bizarre
   no-name home-brew computers. But I've always had trouble getting Linux
   to run on a Compaq. Call it bad luck. Call it Compaq's fault. I don't
   know which, but it's the truth."

Nothing positive like "I have been able to install Linux quickly on just
about any hardware"?

Seems to be trashing Compaq more than Linux:  "The Compaq DVD drive seems
to have problems reading [Memorex CD-R] disks."

Guess I won't be buying Compaq....

>That's pretty much par for the course though.

All too typical WinFUD.  Par for the course indeed.

See what happens when you provide some actual facts instead of FUD?  Some
damn fool checks them out and shows you up for the liar and whiner that
you are.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: Simon, why are you here?
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 03:52:38 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Ray Chason would say:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>No I'm not, I'm simply saying that folks don't give a hoot about the
>>root cause of Linux's lack of hardware support. Chances are good they
>>own the hardware (pre-load) and may be curious about Linsux.
>>
>>When all that Win hardware or even (as in my case) non Win hardware
>>fails to function Linux will be deep sixed and the Linvocates can
>>argue over who is responsible till they are blue in the face. Won't
>>matter because they have lost another customer.
>
>Evidently not in your case, since you keep coming back here whining that
>Linux doesn't support your Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.
>
>Simon, NOBODY GIVES A MICRODAMN if Linux supports *your* hardware.  I care
>that Linux supports *my* hardware.  And it does, because companies that
>make Linux-supported hardware get my business, and companies that make
>LoseModems or other such crap don't.
>
>And frankly I can't be arsed to write a driver for an Illudium Q-36
>Explosive Space Modulator just because some Wintroll acts like a baby on
>Usenet.  Until I have an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator of my own,
>it just doesn't matter to me.
>
>If you want Linux to support your hardware, here are your options:
>
>    1) Check for Linux support before you buy;
>
>    2) Write the driver yourself; or
>
>    3) Be patient, and QUIT WHINING.
>
>(1) requires you to go to linuxdoc.org and RTF-HOWTOs.
>
>(2) requires some programming ability, and again you have to go to
>linuxdoc.org and RTF-HOWTOs.
>
>Since RTF-HOWTOs seems to be beyond you, all I can suggest is (3).

You missed another option...

4) Give someone something of value to encourage them to write a driver.
That could be money.  You might look at the Free Software Bazaar,
CoSource, and such...

Of course, it's fairly evident that Simon's purpose is to hang around and
"whine," which wouldn't fit well with any of the suggested options.

I don't think he's being "paid by Microsoft" or any such rot, but
it's certainly worthy of question just _why_ he wastes so much time
posting so much rubbish on the newsgroup.

It would be an entertaining exercise to write an AI program to
respond to *.advocacy postings in about as mindless a way; I have
a hard time believing anyone would seriously bother.  (Mind you,
I keep idly considering the option of creating a "Daniel Lavigne"
simulator to use in can.taxes...  Perhaps after I finish reading
Norvig's book on AI...)
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linux.html>

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux lags behind Windows
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 00:00:49 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Good for you.
>
> My mother thanks you.
> My father thanks you.
> And I thank you.

You should!

> On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 21:12:54 -0400, sandrews
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >simple [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>
> >> You'd love Linsux.
> >>
> >> Try it sometime....
> >
> >What`s Linsux???? a ms ripoff from Linux?  Only ms could break something
> >like Linux.
> >
> >I run Linux, versions:
> >       Redhat 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2.
> >       Suse 6.2, 6.3, 6.4.
> >       TurboLinux Server 6.01
> >       TurboLinux Workstation 6.01.
> >on as many machines.  That would be 11 machines if you can`t count.
> >
> >Notice no windows. Windows are only good when cut into walls, otherwise
> >windows are of no value.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 00:01:58 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 01:52:37 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 01:18:27 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> >>Why should he?
> >>
> >>Is he hitting a nerve or something?
> >
> >       Nope.
> >
> >       Some of us were successfully running X without any prior
> >       experience with VL systems and more primitive X configuration
> >       interfaces.
>
> Sure, and both of you were probably successful in running a 1975 AMC
> Pacer for 200k miles without a problem.

I have a 1989 Geo Spectrum with 180,00 that works fantastic.

Costs me approx $700/year in maintenance.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Subject: Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux
From: Sean LeBlanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:08:53 GMT

"Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Tim Palmer wrote:
>

> > >at random, Win32, results in late, buggy and bloated applications.
> > >This does matter very much to the user.

> > >Good one Tim. You mean it makes you come out in a rash?
> > >You must admit, this troll does have his moments.
> >
> > I mean its made good, not like LIE-nux that is maid by commy's and their all
>stoppid hippy's that cant' make a hole OS.
> >

> Are you saying that Windows is a hole OS?

In any case, whatever "hole OS" he is posting with, it seems
it has a broken spell-checker. I'm not sure I could spell
that badly if I tried posting after a night of partaking
at the local crack house.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth P. Turvey)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 18:42:22 -0500

On 05 Jul 2000 18:05:37 +0100, Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[Snip]

>        Indeed. But there is such thing as abusing a monopoly
>situation. And more generally I feel that consumers should be charged
>what is a reasonable charge for the services, rather than the cost
>that the market can bear.

Quick question... How does one determine what the reasonable charge for
a service is?  I agree that the market does not work well for some
industries, and I believe that large sporting leagues are probably one
of them, however there must be some alternative method of determining
the value of a good or service.  What would you suggest?

[On a side note, the Supreme Court of the United States specifically
excluded sporting monopolies from some provisions of our antitrust law.
Some day I will have to read the arguments.  I have always thought this
was stupid.  Now we have football teams blackmailing cities for new
stadiums.  Without monopoly power a lot of this kind of BS would stop.]

>And finally I feel that all aspects of our
>lives should be open to democratic control.

I don't.  Actually I find the will of the majority having no limits to
be a rather disturbing idea.

[Snip]
>  >> It may be true that government by the noisiest is not a terribly
>  >> good idea. As it happens I agree. But I also think that
>  >> government by the richest is an equally bad idea, and by and
>  >> large that is what we have at the moment.
>
>  Hyman> I disagree that that is what we have.
>
>        Well I have to accept that this is how you see things,
>although I do find it hard to understand.

I would also question this.  The rich certainly have much more power
than ordinary citizens.  I don't think this can realistically be denied.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  http://www.tranquility.net/~kturvey/resume/resume.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:10:20 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Ray Chason would say:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>Typical Linsux......
>>
>>And what was that about great hardware support of Linsux?
>>

>>http://infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/07/03/000703oppetreley.xml
>>

>>And this from a Linvocate, shame, shame.
>>
>>Well at least he is honest but based upon his history you have to
>>wonder if he is really a Winvocate....
>>
>>He doesn't seem to have anything positive to say about Linsux.
>
>Nothing positive?  You mean nothing positive like:
>
>   "I know from experience that the most troublesome hardware for Linux
>   comes from Compaq. Over the past few years, I have been able to install
>   Linux quickly on just about any hardware -- from IBM laptops to bizarre
>   no-name home-brew computers. But I've always had trouble getting Linux
>   to run on a Compaq. Call it bad luck. Call it Compaq's fault. I don't
>   know which, but it's the truth."
>
>Nothing positive like "I have been able to install Linux quickly on just
>about any hardware"?
>
>Seems to be trashing Compaq more than Linux:  "The Compaq DVD drive seems
>to have problems reading [Memorex CD-R] disks."
>
>Guess I won't be buying Compaq....

This isn't my day for saying nice things about Compaq; I've had a sick
Novell server that on the one hand is a "pretty spiffy Prolinea with
a nice case," but on the other hand, when time for repair comes, is a
"awfully-proprietary Prolinea where all the components need to be sold
by Compaq, as generic hardware just isn't compatible."
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
The Three Laws of Thermodynamics:

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 6 Jul 2000 03:20:22 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote:

>Windows is more popular than Linux, therefore vendors support it first.

OK, granted, if you insist on the latest k3w1est toys you'll have problems
with Linux.  Just answer me this:  why Voodoo 5?  Is there even one game
that really needs one, or benefits enough to justify spending US$300 on
one?

Bleeding edge hardware just doesn't make sense for most users.  And by the
time it's not bleeding edge -- by the time there's actually some
applications you can use with it -- there's a fair chance of Linux support,
and the card will be cheaper as well.

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CommyLinux vs Microsoft (was: Re: Windows98)
Date: 6 Jul 2000 03:23:28 GMT

Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Linux is the Commy.
>Bill is the cappitleist.

So you mean if we all use Linux, we'll all end up living in crumbling
lookalike concrete apartment buildings and looking over our shoulders for
the KGB?

Oh-kaaaaay....

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 6 Jul 2000 03:30:06 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Kelley) wrote:

>Bill G. is a perfectly well behaved capitalist.

Not that I'd ever consider Gates to be a perfectly well behaved *anything*,
but...there is essentially no difference between the Soviet Union under
Stalin (and successors to a lesser extent) and the kind of system that
capitalism would devolve into if one corporation managed to buy out all
the others.  That one corporation would for all intents and purposes *be*
the state.

Now of course all corporate captains, Gates included, would dearly love to
be the one that pulled this off.  Every capitalist wants to be Josef
Stalin.

Much of the point of antitrust laws is to make sure that doesn't happen.

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I had a reality check today :(
Date: 6 Jul 2000 03:40:57 GMT

Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In other werds: CommyLie-nuts must forgette about trying to inslave Windo's
>users with tiping commands
>in CommyLie-nux and axcept that Windo's is what peepal want.

Timmy-boy, I can understand perfectly well why you'd have trouble with a
command line.  *chuckle*

>It won't healp LIE-nux anny. Nobuddy want's to reed HOWTO after HOWTO after HOWTO.
>You alreddy have
>users reeding TOO HOWTO's PLUS the ones they alreddy half toreed to get the rest of
>CommyLie-nux working.

Can't you set up your Windoze-based newsreader so it doesn't spew these
mile-long lines?  What?  You may actually have to RTFM to figure out how
to do that?  Oh, and the spell checker.  Now you have to RTFM again.

Geez, and all this time I thought Windoze was just supposed to read your
mind and figure out what you want.

> ...accept LIE-nux software really is CHEEP, wile Window's software kick's ass.

...which is why nearly every Linux newsreader has a decent killfile,
unlike Lookout; why nearly every Linux newsreader honors user-
supplied margins, unlike Lookout; why no self-respecting Linux mail
client goes around spreading viruses, unlike Lookout....

Oh, but Orifice does have that cute little paper clip.  That paper clip
must fascinate you, doesn't it, Timmy-boy?

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft .Net
Date: 6 Jul 2000 03:48:16 GMT

Aravind Sadagopan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I happened to read all about the Microsoft .Net stuff. I am still
>unclear what are they tring to drive at
>Can somebody explain what it means clearly.  They a relying heavily on
>XML backend  to facilitate sharing among
>different people. Is that what its all about.?

So far it's all a lot of hype and vaporware, but near as I can tell they
want you to keep your data on their servers and pay for your applications
per-use instead of paying a one-time upfront fee.

I can think of few things more likely to send J. Random User ranting to
Red Hat.  Has Microsoft learned nothing from the failure of DIVX?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 5 Jul 2000 23:28:31 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>If you want Linux to support your hardware, here are your options:
>>
>>    1) Check for Linux support before you buy;
>>
>>    2) Write the driver yourself; or
>>
>>    3) Be patient, and QUIT WHINING.
>>
>>(1) requires you to go to linuxdoc.org and RTF-HOWTOs.
>>
>>(2) requires some programming ability, and again you have to go to
>>linuxdoc.org and RTF-HOWTOs.
>>
>>Since RTF-HOWTOs seems to be beyond you, all I can suggest is (3).
>
>You missed another option...
>
>4) Give someone something of value to encourage them to write a driver.
>That could be money.  You might look at the Free Software Bazaar,
>CoSource, and such...

And you all missed the most obvious option.

 1) Go to VALinux, Penguin, Dell, IBM or and of the other
    places that preinstall Linux, configure the system
    you want and
 2) Turn it on.

90% of the people running windows wouldn't be if they
had to install it themselves.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: So where ARE all of these supposed Linux users?
Date: 5 Jul 2000 23:36:10 -0500

>Yea and every violinist has written a concerto......
>
>The problem with you LinoScrews is that you have yet to realize that
>money drives everything.

Yes, that is the way windows got it's market share.  It was
cheaper than unix or a mac (all meanings of cheap apply...).
Now it has to compete with something free and will lose
that market share for exactly the reason you propose.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:43:44 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Kenneth P. Turvey would say:
>On 05 Jul 2000 18:05:37 +0100, Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[Snip]
>>
>>        Indeed. But there is such thing as abusing a monopoly
>>situation. And more generally I feel that consumers should be charged
>>what is a reasonable charge for the services, rather than the cost
>>that the market can bear.
>
>Quick question... How does one determine what the reasonable charge for
>a service is?  I agree that the market does not work well for some
>industries, and I believe that large sporting leagues are probably one
>of them, however there must be some alternative method of determining
>the value of a good or service.  What would you suggest?

Any time there isn't a market, something tends to get _more expensive_
than money.

For the sporting leagues, it is getting increasingly clear that the
control involved is the commodity "more expensive than money."

A city needs to be prepared to give impressive tax concessions on a
regular basis in order for the teams to not take their "ball and bat"
and go elsewhere.  And of course the _REAL_ money isn't in the sale of
tickets, but rather of merchandising of "team jerseys" and such.

>[On a side note, the Supreme Court of the United States specifically
>excluded sporting monopolies from some provisions of our antitrust law.
>Some day I will have to read the arguments.  I have always thought this
>was stupid.  Now we have football teams blackmailing cities for new
>stadiums.  Without monopoly power a lot of this kind of BS would stop.]

Well...  There are always unanticipated consequences...  There might be
football hooliganism in the US future...  Hooligans with concealed
handguns... "Sweet...  Not!"  :-)

>>And finally I feel that all aspects of our
>>lives should be open to democratic control.
>
>I don't.  Actually I find the will of the majority having no limits to
>be a rather disturbing idea.

Indeed.  Democracy is useful in ensuring that people have _some_
participation/"ownership" of governance, which, while valuable, is not
of _infinite_ value.

The other view of democracy is that it represents "mob rule," the "tyranny
of the majority."  If you can come up with a plurality in favor of a
given position, democracy can promote all sorts of things that aren't
necessarily beneficial to whatever minority they figure they can "screw."

>[Snip]
>>  >> It may be true that government by the noisiest is not a terribly
>>  >> good idea. As it happens I agree. But I also think that
>>  >> government by the richest is an equally bad idea, and by and
>>  >> large that is what we have at the moment.
>>
>>  Hyman> I disagree that that is what we have.
>>
>>        Well I have to accept that this is how you see things,
>>although I do find it hard to understand.
>
>I would also question this.  The rich certainly have much more power
>than ordinary citizens.  I don't think this can realistically be denied.

There's always some form of "coin" that may be traded for power, whether
that be money, popularity, or threats of injury.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/>
Rules of the Evil Overlord #40. "I will be neither chivalrous nor

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:57:22 GMT

On 5 Jul 2000 21:39:11 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Roger  <roger@.> wrote:
>
>>>So why doesn't Linux have IRQ problems?
>>
>>Tell us all Max:  How exactly would Linux handle a box with two comm
>>ports and an ISA modem jumpered to IRQ3?
>>
>>What's that?  You don't know?  Because you don't run Linux?
>
>In my case Linux works fine as long as the motherboard port is
>disabled in the bios - and so does win95 with a non pnp modem.
>However, with a particular ISA PNP modem, win95 kept moving
>it to IRQ15 killing my 2nd ide controller.  I could never
>find a way to control that under windows.  The modem would
>also work OK if I booted to dos instead of windows.

        ...puting things on IRQ15 in general is a bit of a no-no.

        An OS certainly shouldn't be pulling such shenanigans
        except under certain boundary conditions that I presume
        your system doesn't fall under...

--

        It only takes a little bit of bad luck to negate the whole benefit
        of "runs everything" for a particualar end user.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:44:03 GMT

On 6 Jul 2000 03:20:22 GMT, Ray Chason
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote:
>
>>Windows is more popular than Linux, therefore vendors support it first.
>
>OK, granted, if you insist on the latest k3w1est toys you'll have problems
>with Linux.  Just answer me this:  why Voodoo 5?  Is there even one game
>that really needs one, or benefits enough to justify spending US$300 on
>one?

        ...and if you are going to spend that much on a video card,
        then why not get one that is held in higher regard like the
        latest nvidia cards?

>Bleeding edge hardware just doesn't make sense for most users.  And by the
>time it's not bleeding edge -- by the time there's actually some
>applications you can use with it -- there's a fair chance of Linux support,
>and the card will be cheaper as well.

        ...not to mention NT drivers. <snicker>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 5 Jul 2000 23:43:07 -0500

>Actually I burn copies and give them away all the time. I've given
>some to the local library as well as the local high school. I get all
>of my blanks for free, or almost free, so it's just a time thing.
>
>I have yet to hear of one single person who has stuck with Linux,
>although many have tried it.

What would you like to hear?  I've been using it on multiple
machines since 1995 or so.

>Linux speaks for itself....

And very well, too.