From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake 7.2 and the banana peel
Date: 15 Jan 2001 15:10:11 -0700

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Aaron Ginn wrote:
>
> > *Boggle*
> >
> > Why are you selecting 'Development' for a server?  There is a 'Server'
> > install you know.
>
> Because I want to develop applications?

What, are you trying to improve the server source code or something?
Why on earth would you want to do software development on your server?
There's a very good reason why a server install installs minimal
applications.  Care to guess what it may be?

> Maybe *gasp* I want to build my own
> kernel?

OK, this is somewhat reasonable, but is there some reason the stock
kernel doesn't work for you?

> > No wonder you have so many problems.  You can't even read the install
> > program!
>
> If the install program did what it should do, then I'd have less problems.

The install program asked you if you wanted to do a server install.
You ignored it.  When you do things like that, expect some kind of
trouble.

--
Aaron J. Ginn                    Phone: 480-814-4463
Motorola SemiCustom Solutions    Pager: 877-586-2318

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Benchmark tests - who cares?
Date: 15 Jan 2001 22:33:39 GMT

Ian Davey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
:wrote:
:>
:>Basically, I'm wondering if some people in here are "bandwagon" Linux fans.
:>You know, they like it just because it performs well on benchmarks.  If
:>FreeBSD scored 100 worse than Windows on a webbench result, I would keep on
:>lovin' my OS!  It's because I know that it is an open source product, my
:>OS would have a tremendous future ahead of it.

: I think it's more of a reaction to all the benchmarks that have been used
: against Linux here in the past by the obsessive Windows users who keep
: posting in COLA. It's the old equivalent of rubbing their faces in it. Not
: that it's really necessary of course, but at the very least it might shut some
: of them up for a while.

I really don't think that's a good idea.  If Benchmarks are crap, and full of
decietful half-truths, then fighting benchmarks with more benchmarks just
makes the problem worse.  Don't give them any legitimacy by using them.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:17:32 +0100
From: Nils Zonneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux misery cont.

LINUX ANONYMOUSE wrote:

> It amases me every time that someone tends to object to linux that
> everyone insults him.  I personally use slackware linux and sometimes
> find it very annoying to configure as well.  As for the GUI I totally
> agree..... AKA IT SUCKS.  I have yet to find a GUI that is easy to
> configure linux, click and point easy, and very user friendly.  Every
> GUI I have ever encountered in linux has alway... yes I do mean always
> given me either hours of headaches or it very very very difficult to
> get to set up this is of course speaking of the source installation
> meathod.  I also find that there is a bunch of crackheads writing for
> linux.  Linux needs some sort of standardization in order to make it
> big with the standard non-techy user.

GUI's are not the strongest point of Linux (understatement), that's why
I use Macintosh as desktop computer. But as a server its quite
efficient. I find X-Windows too bloated and too bothersome to install on
my server (and why should a server have a GUI?). But the
configurationtools of Suse are easy to use, even from the commandline
interface. Despite my personal dislike of X-Windows, the fact that it is
quite diverse and configurable is a good thing. And calling all those
people, who have contributed to such a fine operating system for my
little server, 'crackheads' is not very polite. BTW: thanks too all
people who contribute to all kinds of Open Source Software like
PostgreSQL, which is an amazingly professional database server, I'm
utterly impressed by every new release.

> And Yes I do like linux because of its very fast and stable kernel.
> I'm just saying it could improve its looks.  Come on how can you
> honestly say that Gnome is a very good environmnet or KDE isn't that
> good ither.  yes they are very very fast and stable but they look
> terrible.  I think that is the reason why windows sells so good is
> because it hides the ugly background and poor system while wrapping it
> up in a pretty package so a child can use it.

The difficulty in making things userfriendly is that one has to find a
balance between ease of use and configurability and stability. Redhat
and Suse have improved the ease of use of Linux drastically, but at the
expense of the readability of the scripts and thus your control over the
system. Suse and Redhat come close to each other, but personally I think
Suse has found a better balance.

Besides that IMHO Linux is more a server OS than a desktop OS. So
Windows 95/98/ME, Mac OS and BeOS will always be better suited for the
desktop user. Why should there be the need to log in on a stand-alone
home computer? Despite the fact that efforts are made to bring Linux to
the desktop, it will always have the architecture of a server/network
OS, and as such much too complex for the average user.

Kind regards,

Nils Zonneveld

--
"Misschien is niets geheel waar, en zelfs dat niet"
Multatuli (Eduard Douwes Dekker) - Idee 1

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:40:23 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >Charlie Ebert wrote:

> >> Well that makes sense.
> >>
> >> What would a total dumbass who appearently can't even upgrade Linux
> >> without locking up his own system do with a large home partition?
> >
> >fill it full of porn.
> >

> I thought we gave the title of wet sock puppet to Chad.

Chad and Pete are two peas in a pod.

> >> Pete,
> >>       If you do this again I want you to purge your DNA from the
> >>       human geneome pool.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Charlie
> >

> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer
> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >ICQ # 3056642

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.linux.sucks,alt.linux.slakware
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it
does) )
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:38:32 GMT

"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93u4k5$9ce$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> If you want pendantic seriousness, then fine, here it is:
> There are many basics that I consider "better" than Visual Basic.
> There do exist some basics that are worse, but they aren't modern.
> Part of the reason for this is that I don't like embedded GUI
> toolkits and auto code generators, becuase they are a pain in the
> ass to maintain when you want to change what the tool generated,
> and yet still keep using the tool to edit it too.  So, all the
> GUI bells and whistles are irrelevant to me.  Once that's taken
> away, there isn't much left in Visual Basic that makes it good.
> In other words, the good stuff isn't technically part of the
> language at all.  It's part of the programming environment.  IMO,
> the programming tool should be independant of evaluating the
> language itself.  They should be seperated very clearly into two
> layers such than the GUI programming tool is a pluggably replacable
> by a third party.  This ensures that language and compiler design
> issues don't leak into the interface tool, and interface design issues
> don't leak into the compiler itself.

Yet, instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater (the "baby" in this
scenario is GUI's, code generators and other modern UI technology) how about
changing HOW those components work, and remove all those idiotic problems.

This is called "improvement".  But god forbid Linux should improve.

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:39:39 GMT

Way to argue petty semantics to disprove a point.

Moron.

news:93ujcu$5d4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Bill Gates MAD?!?!?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:42:25 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Steve Mading wrote:
> :>
> :> That just repeats what was already said.  My question was *why* this
> :> is the case.  I can't see it.
>
> : Gas pumpers' union?
>
> That seems odd to me, coming from a place where the last time I
> saw a full-service gas station was in the early 1980's, and even
> then it was considered a bit of a throwback that was only being
> done because the guy who owned the place liked doing things the
> old-fashioned way.
>
> I've always associated gas attendants with movies about the '50s.
> Was the practise revived in New Jersey, or is it something they've
> been doing all along and never dropped?  (New Jersey is a bit
> odd when it comes to automobiles.  When I was out there I couldn't
> understand the logic behind all those 'jughandle' intersections where
> you turn right to go left.  If it was an actual ramp then it makes
> sense, but when it merely results in a perpendicular crossing of
> the intersection instead of a left-turn use of the intersection it
> looks to me like it just makes things worse.)

We have a lot of those in Detroit....major thoroughfares are turned
into boulevards...and to make a left-turn ONTO one of them, you have
to do a right, and then do a U-turn through the median.

Actually, it does keep the throughput on the main roads quite high.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux.sucks
does) )
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:41:32 GMT

<The sound of two hands clapping...>

"Kevin Marshall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93uig2$a89$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I think that some of these counter-arguments I'm reading about the GUI not
> mattering all that much are a bit on the weak side. Let's face it, much of
> the reason we buy and use things relies upon the way they make us feel,
> that's what it's about! We wish to buy cars that look nice, clothes that
> make us look attractive, houses that are clean and well designed, etc.
Along

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:44:19 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 13 Jan 2001 14:27:29 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Jim Richardson wrote:
> >>
> >> On Tue, 09 Jan 2001 07:20:12 GMT,
> >>  [EMAIL PROTECTED], in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >>  brought forth the following words...:

> >> Force it how? with advocacy posts? pretty broad definition of "force" if you
> >> ask me.
> >>  So would you say that MicroSof~1 forced windows down your throat?

> >> Use what you want. Read the EULA, it's interesting reading.
> >>

> >The Office EULA is downright scary.  It basically says that when a document
> >or spread sheet or whatever is created with an Office product, the ownership
> >of the document (etc) is held by Microshaft, not the person sitting at the
> >computer.
> >
> >For example, you are NOT allowed to view a Word document with anything
> >other than Microsoft products....thus, doing a hex-dump of a .doc file
> >with unix-land "od" command is a violation of the EULA.
> >
> >I expect Microsoft WILL attempt to enforce this provision of the EULA
> >at some time...otherwise, why would they put it in.
>
> Ouch!
>
> Is this documented on a Website somewhere?

Not that I know of...no need to.  Just READ THE EULA.

> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- wonder what free speech issues this entails, too
> EAC code #191       3d:04h:10m actually running Linux.
>                     I was asleep at the switch the rest of the time.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:45:52 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> Of course, I should point out that Microsoft's EULA agreement is totally
> outside the bounds of the rights provided them by USC Title 18...
>
> Therefore, making the EULA unenforceable notwithstanding it's own
> provisions.
>
> Hence, Microsoft has no control over what you do with their software, so
> long as your actions are within the confines of the companies exclusive
> rights toward the intellectual property that IS Microsoft Office.

And yet, Microsoft's lawyers WROTE this stuff into the EULA.

Why would a lawyer write illegal provisions into a contract unless
it's for the purpose of intimidating those who have not read Title 18, USC?

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Jim Richardson wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue, 09 Jan 2001 07:20:12 GMT,
> > >  [EMAIL PROTECTED], in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > >  brought forth the following words...:

> the
> > >
> > > Force it how? with advocacy posts? pretty broad definition of "force" if
> you
> > > ask me.
> > >  So would you say that MicroSof~1 forced windows down your throat?

> have
> > >
> > > Use what you want. Read the EULA, it's interesting reading.
> > >

> > The Office EULA is downright scary.  It basically says that when a
> document
> > or spread sheet or whatever is created with an Office product, the
> ownership
> > of the document (etc) is held by Microshaft, not the person sitting at the
> > computer.
> >
> > For example, you are NOT allowed to view a Word document with anything
> > other than Microsoft products....thus, doing a hex-dump of a .doc file
> > with unix-land "od" command is a violation of the EULA.
> >
> > I expect Microsoft WILL attempt to enforce this provision of the EULA
> > at some time...otherwise, why would they put it in.

> that
> > >
> > > *some* do, most say, "so what? use what you want". Just like *some*
> windows
> > > advocates say stupid things, not all of them.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jim Richardson
> > >         Anarchist, pagan and proud of it
> > > WWW.eskimo.com/~warlock
> > >         Linux, because life's too short for a buggy OS.
> >

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel space? Who gives a @#$%
Date: 15 Jan 2001 16:48:18 -0600

"Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93vpvj$7d0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello Conrad,
>
> > > 3. The software is not available until March 2001. So how can the
> > > production, shipping IIS5 have done it? The SPECWeb results state that
> the
> > > HTTP SOFTWARE, OPERATING SYSTEM AND SUPPLEMENTAL
> > > SYSTEM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE IN MARCH 2001.
> > SWC 3, the cache, is not available until March 2001. Obviously IIS is
> > available now.
> >
> > AND.... SO WHAT?! For the sake of argument, assume that SWC is the
product
> > producing these results and not IIS - SO FUCKING WHAT?!
>
> If it is only SWC 3.0 beta that had lead to these enormous performance
gains
> (and that SWC 3.0 is just a standard application) why are the OPERATING
> SYSTEM and HTTP SOFTWARE going to be available in March 2001? It would
seem
> that the SWC 3 cache could be categorised as "Supplemental Software".

The operating system utilized Service Pack 2 beta, HTTP software includes
both the server and the cache and SWC 3 is also in beta.

------------------------------

From: "ono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: you dumb. and lazy.
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:38:49 +0100

> MFC40.DLL, I believe, didn't have DLL-Hell problem for a *long* time, not
> sure.
> There are several versions of this files, and the problem results (all
> DLL-Hell problems, acutally) from installers that doesn't check for
versions
> before they replace important files, this they remove the newer version
for
> an older version, and break other applications (and sometimes that OS)
that
> need the newer version of the DLL.
I think that's why ms introduced the installer service and 'system file
protection' so that the office people can't replace core components with the
installers anymore.
I counted more then 3000 dll's on my system and for that number I'm
surprised there is so little hell.

ps: I counted more then 70 mfc*.dll files. I think ms does what linux does
too: each program gets it's own version that it was tested with. (disks are
cheap nowadays!)

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:46:40 GMT

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Win32 is not the WinNT kernel.  Win32 is Windows 95, 98, and to a lesser
> > extent, Windows Me.
> >
> > 3dfx (what's left of em) supports the Voodoo Rush as reference drivers
for
> > Windows 95 & 98.
>
> You need to go back to Windows advocacy school.  Win32 is an
> application API that is available under Windows 3.11, Windows 95, 98,
> 98se, Me, NT3x, NT4x, and W2Kx.

Yes, Win32 was the special API for "32bit" special programs way back when
Win3.11 was out to give way to "new programs".  The Windows 95, and 98
systems are refered to as the Win32 systems because their kernels intertwine
legacy & 32bit code into their structure (making them somewhat unstable).
Whereas WinNT uses DVM to load legacy "modules" AS NEEDED.

Stop arguging semantics, and get back on track.

> > Although this device functions on the Windows 2000 Directdraw layer, it
MAY
> > be possible to use Win32 drivers under the Win2k system.
>
> May?
>
> Try running *any* of the GUI tools, including EXPLORER.EXE and Office
> 2000, without it.

What explorer and office have to do directly with the Windows directdraw
layer, I have NO idea.  But it MIGHT be possible to load a Win32 driver (in
this case, the video card) into Win2k.  DD level devices aren't scrutinized
like other device drivers are.

> Come back after you've actually had to support Windows in a real
> environment.

I'm back!

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: More Linux woes
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:48:48 GMT

"Jim Richardson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Of course, Linux improves day by day, it's good now, and it's only going
to get
> better.

The requiem of a crack addict?

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:52:17 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> You really are as stupid as he is. Its an application problem. The
> application is ripping so it can do cute visual effects.

Really?  Last I checked, visual effects could be done through monitoring the
dsp system, or querying a compatible sound system.  No DAE nessecary.

> Use a different app or disable ripping the app.

Finally, an answer.

> Try
> cdplay
>
> it doesn't do ripping.