Linux-Advocacy Digest #489, Volume #30           Tue, 28 Nov 00 04:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: Why Java? (Donn Miller)
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! (Mike Byrns)
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... (Mike Byrns)
  Ok, putting money where my mouth is... ("the_blur")
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Whistler review. ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Is design really that overrated? ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Whistler review. ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Whistler review. ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Whistler review. (J.C.)
  Re: Is design really that overrated? ("the_blur")
  Re: Whistler review. (Edward Rosten)
  Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job? (Ketil Z Malde)
  Re: Whistler review. (J.C.)
  Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Is design really that overrated? ("Frank Van Damme")
  Re: Whistler review. ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Is design really that overrated? ("Frank Van Damme")
  Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job? (Pete Goodwin)

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 02:08:18 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Java?

George Russell wrote:

> All this imho, and possibly biased by my 4th year of using Java.

OK.  May I ask how you're using Java on the job?  Just wondering.  When
I think of Java, the first thing that springs to my mind is e-commerce.
Also, I tend to think of applets in a browser.  Or, maybe e-commerce
applets in a browser. :-)  I do know that Java makes things a lot
simpler for internet programming.  It's also pretty easy to make a
streaming movie viewer in a web browser, like for example, a Java applet
streaming motion JPEG viewer.

My next question is: What good is a streaming M-JPEG viewer in a web
browser?  So far, the only applications I know that would use this are
porno sites, you know, those "live sex show" things.  I would think this
would be extremely easy to do in Java, but much harder in C++.

Also, I think we've only scratched the surface with the whole idea of
java applets in a browser.  In the future, if you're attending a
university, you may be able to one day see your professor giving a
lecture with one of those java streaming movie applets.  Of course, it
would have to have sound, no doubt.  (Those live sex show applets don't
need sound, if you know what I mean. :-)  But in a university context, I
could see supplemental course material in the form of a web site w/ java
applets for various examples.  Hey, it sure beats Flash.

Another example of Java applets would be a consultant who custom-designs
software for companies.  He would give that company a password so the
company's employees could log onto the web site, and use the software
via a Java applet.  Of course, an option where you could launch an
separate Java application window separate from the actual browser would
be useful.  (You might need the ability to resize the window to a large
size, for example.)  I don't think I would like using a Java app inside
a browser.  After all, if the browser crashed, you'd lose your app!

So, I think that's were the future of Java is headed:  internet apps.

Another application of Java would be embedded "internet appliances",
where the Java VM would also function as the embedded OS.  Sort of a
JavaOS concept with the Java VM and OS combined into one.

It's interesting the direction Java is headed.  At first, Sun wanted a
language (based on C++) which would run on anything.  But now, Java is
used almost exclusively in internet/networking applications, and is
hugely popular for web applets.

I don't see how Java being a proprietary product of Sun should be all
that bad.  It's based on a non-proprietary language, C++.  Plus, my
experience with Java programming has helped me understand C++ better,
which isn't proprietary.  I know there are differences, but they are
also very similar, too!

- Donn

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:08:30 GMT

"Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > You block everything you don't know you need.  I'm sure glad you don't
> > setup MY
> > > routers and firewalls.  And on the worstations you don't run NetBios
at
> > all.
> >
> > Why do you have a network if you don't let anyone use it for network
> > services?
>
> I just don't let *everyone* use it.  Segment the network into inside,
outside
> and DMZ if you have a web presence.  Inside interfaces get LAN networking.
> Outside interfaces don't.  Really quite simple.

Of course, but most places only have one or a few machines that aren't
protected by some firewall or filtering compared to many that are, so
the default of enabling services is likely to be correct.   And the ones
that are exposed to the internet are the ones that specifically need
services.

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:13:45 GMT

mark wrote:

> In article <8vqvqq$5f036$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Yeah, on windows trojan ports - as I said above.  I don't run
> >> windows so the trojans they're looking for are not on my
> >> machine.
> >
> >The most wide spread OS is?
> >Most trojans are written to what OS?
> >
> >Combine those two answer and you'll realize why you've a lot of port scans
> >to windows trojans
> >Not to mention that this is about the most inefficent way to do this.
>
> Doh.  How do you get a trojan onto a unix machine?

Ask the folks that used them for the widespread DDoS attacks on eBay et. al.
earlier this year.

Let me count the ways... http://www.cert.org/

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:15:55 GMT

Gary Hallock wrote:

> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>

> > Aren't there email programs for linux? Why do you've to use windows to check
> > your mail.
>
> Because we have Lotus Domino running on OS/390 for our mail servers and it has
> been mandated that we use Lotus Notes.    I used to have to remote log into
> Windows NT to use the Notes client to get my mail.   For a while, NT was so
> unreliable that much mail was lost or delayed.   I would routinely receive
> meeting notices a day or two after the meeting.  I used to tell those that
> really needed to contact me to send notes to my VM/CMS account.

Sounds like a Notes problem to me :-)

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 02:17:12 -0500

Ok guys, I'm trying to come up with a non-goofy pinguino (readers of my "Is
design really that overrated?" article will know what this means), I know
it's possible, because they are graceful and pretty when they swim.

Anyway (as a pet project), I'm coming up with an umbrella pinguino logo
(maybe to stamp on boxes of approved / compliant hardware)

After I finish this, I'm tackling that  water buffalo-looking thing the free
software foundation uses.

Here is the early "alpha source" =)

http://pages.infinit.net/outcasts/pinguinos.html

If anyone wants to lend me a hand, drop me a line.

NOTE: The usage of the spanish word pinguino is deliberate, to give that
latin charm to what otherwise would be a little, fat, clumsy, shuffling
creature of the antarctic climates. And don't try to tell me there are
pinguinos in the Galapagos! The prettiest are Rockhoppers and Emperors!
which sort attacked Linus BTW? Anyone know?=)

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:17:39 GMT

"Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > To bad you wouldn't have the time, what with all the arcane tasks
needed
> > > keep a UNIX healthy.
> >
> > That's funny, considering that many of us have unix boxes that have been
> > running for years with no maintenance at all.
>
> Then they don't do anything at all.

DNS, DHCP, email, web proxy, web server, file server, and probably another
dozen or so things I've forgotten...  Oh - one of them is my off-site backup
copy of some important files.  Off-site as in on another continent - rsync'd
nightly over frame relay.   It just keeps on working...

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:22:08 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:RptU5.25410$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > yep, only 2 crashes per day instead of 5, and only 5 employees angry for
> > their work being lost instead of 10 employees.
>
> You idiots are all the same. You used Windows back in the Win3.0 days,
> realized it was shit, and then never used another Windows again, but
> held every version to that standard.
>
> NT is far superior, Win2K even more, and Whistler just that much more.
>
> -Chad

You are the one who seems surprised that software should actually
work correctly and reliably compared to what you have been using.
Who is the idiot here?

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is design really that overrated?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:42:25 GMT

"the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:RBGU5.2955$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Hey, fucknut, I'm redesigning the Linux look on my own time. I'm going to
> release all the graphics/sketches and logos I come up with for this pet
> project as GPL "software". When was the last time you gave _ANYTHING_ to
the
> linux/unix community (other than dumbass ranting)?
>
> Just because you have no style, no life and no talent, doesn't mean that
> those who do can't put it to good use.

Is your taste really so warped that you can't find an existing theme
that you like?

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:39:48 GMT

"sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8vun8a$ei3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Why is an MS review in a Linux group???? <snip>

C'mon, give him a break!
Microsoft improvements are so few and far between!
There're probably posts just like this on alt.choirboy.buggery <g>

--
Tom Wilson
A Computer Programmer who wishes he'd chosen another vocation.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:39:49 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8vupqd$5an6e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3a22e1cf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Well you fuck off you GUI dependent mumma's boy.  So, not only you can
use
> > GUI but a mouse ooooooooooo you must very bright, you fucking nittwitt.
>
> As a note, Whistler should give you the option to turn off the GUI.
> Which is something that can be very useful for a server machine.
> I'm not sure if the workstation has it, or if it has, how to do this.

There's always switching the monitor off...<g>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.C.)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 28 Nov 2000 18:49:00 +1100

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 06:43:38 +0200, Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]

>> Just use it like the other 10,000 people did in
>> a business environment or with napster and
>> just watch that peice of shit bluescreen.
>
>Obscure statement, provide some proof.

"Napster crashes."

"Obscure statement"...

Hey, just nick off to Charlie's, and he'll show you Napster crashing, if it really
floats your boat (will that be ok w/you, charlie dear?)

>> Or you can read it in the reviews.
>
>Provide a proof.

How about you get some experience as a sysadmin? Try to get 2k boxes up to
(okay, sorry, somewhere-remotely-distantly-approaching) the stability and
security of unix boxes. If you succeed, _then_ report back to us. Until then...

I'll provide objective proof as soon as you can get the hands (legally) on the
2k source and turn it over to me, so I can fossick through it...

>None of the reviews I've seen on win2k (and I've seen many) "proved it to
>NOT be stable"

Oh, well, silly me and silly charlie. If a review didn't say it to be unstable...

--
J.C.
"The free flow of information along data highways being piped into our

                             -- 'The Thunder of Justice', pg. 264

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:04:06 -0500

> Is your taste really so warped that you can't find an existing theme
> that you like?
>
>       Les Mikesell
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Of course, there's quite a few themes that I like. It's not about that.
Right now, I'm concentrating on the logos and stuff...I think that any OS
that emulates the MacOS button positioning (whether by conscios adherence to
human interface design rules, or simple aping) is fine. As long as it's
flat-looking and medium grey by default. =)

------------------------------

From: Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:24:12 +0000

Matthew Soltysiak wrote:

> Aaron, get a life.  The guy likes Whislter, so be it.  Leave him alone.  In fact, i
>like
> it too.  My eng. buddies and I love it.  Beats the hell outta Linux for usability.
>Take a
> look a KDE2, ultimate bug shit edition.   GNOME, ultimate bloat-ware and bug shit
> edition.  Both segfault quite frequently.  So, what does this say about Whislter?

KDE and GNOME say nothing about Whistler.

More
> commercial software that beats the hell outta the free crap software available for
>Linux,
> and it will ensure the continues future of Windows' domination over the industry.
>'Nuff
> said.  Pay for software, yes, for people who don't pirate.  People who do, it's
>smooth
> sailing.

> Now i can almost see you refuting my statement.  Let me save you time.  Don't bother.
> You'll be wrong about 90 % of time.  Have a nice day.

There is nothing to refute. All you have made are claims about personal
opinion.

None of the stuff you've said really sounds like a good engineer
speaking. From an engineers point af iew, anyway :-)

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold | Edward
Rosten

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:25:25 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> It always amuses me that non-windows people seem to have stability
> problems with Windows, but Windows people don't, now why might that
> be?

Perhaps people who've been exposed to other systems realize there are
better things out there?

For some reason, there's a lot of people out there who will accept
paying for useless crap.  I wonder if that's unique to the IT
industry, or if it goes for any industry where the customer doesn't
have expert knowledge?

-kzm

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.C.)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 28 Nov 2000 19:25:49 +1100

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 02:30:51 +0200, Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]

>finally eliminated the 9x line.

>From one POS to another...

[snip]

it's not yet appropriate to talk about performace and
>stability yet.
           ^^^

Or ever...

[snip]

>similar to Windows 2000, blue screen in

... everything?

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 02:43:22 -0600

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7oHU5.25235$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:idiU5.10334$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > Who the hell cares?  The "average users" opinion on what is or is not
> > > core process is rather entirely meaningless, in terms of what is a
core
> > > process.
> >
> > And thus, we define the whole reason that Linux will likely never
displace
> > Windows or even MacOS in the desktop marketplace.
>
> You mean it is really just the glossy press release that matters instead
> of the real performance or reliability?

No, it means that Linux users like this don't give a rip about what
consumers want.

------------------------------

From: "Frank Van Damme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:47:48 +0000

In article <8vun4s$4ed$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Brian Langenberger"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Please, please, please don't design pages for IE5.  Design them for
> HTML4.x.  If you've written a page in standard HTML and Linux can't
> display it right, then that's our problem.  But if you've written it for
> IE5, it makes it a lot harder for us to do the Right Thing.

idd:just make 100% w3c compliant pages. That are standards, not ie5.

7.2 on an AMD K7 800 / 128.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:56:02 GMT

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <91IU5.152$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> >"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:RptU5.25410$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >"Ayende

> >good

> >> You idiots are all the same. You used Windows back in the Win3.0 days,
> >> realized it was shit, and then never used another Windows again, but
> >> held every version to that standard.
> >>
> >> NT is far superior, Win2K even more, and Whistler just that much more.
> >

> >You have to understand that a lot of these "idiots" are like me and have
> >used MS OS's since DOS 1.0. Their history of buggy software and terrible
> >developer support pre-dates Windows by  a number of years.
> >
> >I'm not above admitting that they've made some drastic improvements. A
lot
> >of Windows' problems had to do with supporting the MS-DOS legacy and I'm
> >sure it wasn't easy for them. I'm glad to see they've finally buried it.
> >Their developer support is MUCH better too.  Aside from its' occasional
> >brain-farts, I rather like NT for casual desktop use. It sure as hell
beats
> >95/98 as a development platform.
> >
> >For heavy-duty, mission-critical stuff, though - MS just hasn't cut the
> >mustard yet.
> >
> >When someone shows me an MS OS that doesn't inexplicably die after a week
of
> >heavy server activity - Or an MS workstation that doesn't BSOD several
times
> >a week - Or an MS OS that doesn't need restarted everytime an application
or
> >component (other than a service release) is added or removed,  I'll
consider
> >it a serious OS. Until then I and the other "idiots" won't be overly
> >impressed.
> >

> >--
> >Tom Wilson
> >A Computer Programmer who wishes he'd chosen another vocation.
> >

> I just wanted to say at abu nidall downstairs here want's
> PROOF!  GIVE ME PROOF!  OH GOD !   W2K bluescreening!
> Windows product unstable!
>
> I NEED PROOF!  OH GOD DUMP MY PANTIES I NEED PROOF HERE!
>

> So, I've saved you the trouble of typing it abu.

One word, Sparky.... Valium.

> I think Windows use on a PC creates a special energy
> wave of some kind which attracts led up from the
> ground into drinking water.

No, developing for and supporting it causes hypertension, though.

BTW, do you mean leAd as in the metal, or Led as in Zeppelin.

> No! I agree with you TOM.  Microsoft was originally
> in the business to provide home users with an operating
> system for the worlds first PC's.

Nope...
Microsoft was contracted to write the IBM-PC OS only because Digital
declined. The result was a cheap CP/M knockoff for a machine that was
marketed for and bought by businesses more than home users. The home user
really wasn't in the equation. Not until cheaper PC clones came out.

--
Tom Wilson
Registered Linux User #194021

They're operating systems...Not religions
GET A LIFE!

------------------------------

From: "Frank Van Damme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:56:16 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Exactly WHO gets a computer for the purpose of displaying splash
> screens????

It's not the purpose, it's just nice. I really likethe 'spotlight' effect in
kdm.

> NO-FUCKING-BODY!

Maybe you don't, but he's a d-e-s-i-g-n-e-r. He pays attention to things
like that, uc?

> If you want to get your mission accomplished, then choose the 1st and go
> with linux.
>
> If you want to make sure you die in style, then choose the 2nd and go
> with Microshaft.

Windows, style???? My computer has dies a 1000 times, but never in style.
--
Never underestimate the power of Linux-Mandrake
7.2 on an AMD K7 800 / 128.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:49:11 GMT

In article <_gIU5.25246$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Most Windows people buy their machines pre-loaded with the components
> and matching drivers selected by a team of experts on the vendor's
staff.
> Do the same with Linux and you will get even better results.

Perhaps.

I'm not most people. I put together my own machines. Yet I have less
trouble with Windows than I do with Linux. I'm hardly new to
hardware/software or alternate OS's, so you tell me what's wrong?

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:54:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Perhaps people who've been exposed to other systems realize there are
> better things out there?

Better than Windows or Linux, do you mean?

I've worked on RSX/11M, VAX/VMS, OpenVMS, Ultrix, Digital UNIX, RISC-OS
and a few others. I switched from RISC-OS at home (a far superior
desktop at the time) to Windows on Intel simply because it hardware
floating point. Shortly after that change Windows 95 arrived.

I accept Windows 95/98/ME is unstable but its desktop and hardware
support is currently better than Linux Mandrake + KDE 2.0.

> For some reason, there's a lot of people out there who will accept
> paying for useless crap.  I wonder if that's unique to the IT
> industry, or if it goes for any industry where the customer doesn't
> have expert knowledge?

I assume you're talking about Windows here? You know I could say the
same about Linux... if you're going to dismiss Windows as "useless
crap" then I see no reason why I can't do the same with Linux.

--
---
Pete