  Re: Communism confession

From: "Dan Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:58:12 -0700

However, having used both VSE and MultiEdit, I have to say that IMHO VSE has
little to offer over ME that justifies double the price.  Both have
excellent Brief emulation (which is why I use them), and intuitive syntax
highlighting.

VSE has a nice function browser and file browser, which ME lacks.  The
beautify function is also very well done, and ME lacks that as well.  OTOH,
ME handles tags MUCH more easily, and shows bookmarks on the editor screen
(which I *really* like).  Outside of these functions, the two are pretty
much equivalent.  Trial versions of both are downloadable.  But ME is around
$120 street, VSE is around $200.

And, at the risk of getting seriously flamed, *both* programs make XEmacs
look clutzy and arcane... but then, XEmacs is free...

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Rob Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:00:13 -0400

silverback wrote:

> Rob Robertson wrote:

<etc,... snip>

> >> wrong again  [Scott Erb = disingenuous fraud] under fascism the corporations
> >> are the government.
> >
> > Oh dear, this really is getting 'complex' now. Up above you say that "those
> >Iranian corporations are controlled by the religious allyotahs [sic]", which
> >to me means that the *political* leaders (the allosaurus's, or whatever) are
> >in control of the *business* leaders, not the other way around. That's what
> >I'd said to you many times,  as noted in the replays which you deleted (leftist
> >censorship in action again, eh Glen?).
>
> it figures that the simple minded lying [Scott Erb = disingenuous fraud] would
> be unable to understand.

 I've explained it to you many, many times over the past few months, Glen, and
I've explained and paraphrased it several times in this thread (and the proof
of that is in this very post). I think that you're just upset because I found
you eventually agreeing with me that fascism is the state-directed control of
the economy as you note with your 'Ayatollah Fascism' comment above, and that
I would connect that back to your fascist call for the government take-over of
the electricity industry in California.

 Not very good advertisement for your book _The Nazi Hydra_, Glen!

> > You repeat the claim that "the Ayatollahs own and control those corporations",
> >and at the risk of being redundant and repetitious, I'd note that Ayatollahs
> >are the *political* leaders. Now you contradict *yourself* (while leaving in
> >the evidence of the contradiction in your response, oddly enough) when you
> >claim that "the corporations are the government".

> >> i remember yer a lying [Scott Erb = disingenuous fraud].
> >>
> >> remainder of this lying [Scott Erb = disingenuous fraud]'s tripe snipped,.
> >> He doesn;t have a point and is prone to lying.
> >
> > Au contraire, mon frere. The point I've been trying to make all along has
> >been that fascism is the state-directed *control* of the economy as opposed
> >to communism's state *ownership* of industry. You echoed my sentiment above
> >with your 'fascist Iran' claim, and I'd also note the irony of your calls
> >for the government takeover of the California electricity industry, which
> >is much more like fascism than my calls for laissez-faire capitalism.
> >
> > Thank you for the pleasant discussion.

_
Rob Robertson

 Got freedom?

 http://www.lewRockwell.com

 http://www.free-market.net

 http://www.mises.org

 http://www.hazlitt.org

 http://www.antiwar.com

 http://www.unionsquarejournal.com

 http://www.libertocracy.com

 http://www.unknownideal.com

 http://www.self-gov.org

 http://www.lp.org

------------------------------

From: "Dan Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:01:31 -0700

"Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 14:29:14 -0700, "Dan Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> "Paul Kinnucan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >>
> >> I must throw in my vote for XEmacs/Emacs as well (XEmacs is just
> >> prettier); although a programmer's editor is much like a choice of
> >> underware:  use what's comfortable for you, and avoid the ones that
> >> rub you the wrong way.
> >>
> >So, you're recommending Brief??  It hasn't been available for awhile...
>
> Brief's the best programmer's editor I ever used. Despite
> compatability claims I've never found another editor that duplicates
> Brief's intuitiveness. Too bad Borland bought it up and then forgot
> about it.

I agree... I used Brief for over a decade, and *loved* it... it's still the
prototype for many of the capabilities that people expect to see in a
Dos/Windows editor.  I've always resented Borland's grab; if they didn't
want to use the program, why did they buy it and kill it??  It's not like
they were trying to protect turf for their editor, whatever it was called...

But then, Borland has often been confused about what direction it was
going...

------------------------------

From: "Dan Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:09:39 -0700

The vim variant supports syntax hiliting, but it's awkward to configure, and
transferring your configurations (especially custom color pallettes) to
other machines requires much more than just copying .vimrc (unfortunately).
I use the syntax hiliting on my main linux development machine, but on all
the other machines I just use default settings.  I know I can just set some
environment variables, but that hasn't worked consistently from machine to
machine.

OTOH, when I do serious development, I telnet the files to my Windows
machine and use a real editor!!

        Dan (the Windows drudge) Miller

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS and ISP's
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:10:45 GMT

Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 02:54:57
   [...]
>The only thing Microsoft has a monopoly on, it seems, is the brain
>power, the succesful management, and the competency to create a world-class
>OS in a corporate environment WHILE making money at the same time.

You know, if it weren't patently obvious to computer professionals that
this "world-class OS' is an unreliable piece of crap, you might have a
point there, Chad.  As it stands, though, it kind of blows your theory,
big time.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Skybuck)
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:04:21 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:34:07 GMT, Randall Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 22:41:02 GMT esteemed Skybuck did'st hold forth thusly:
>> Let me just say I love textpad 4.
>
>Is this free?

Absolutely :) Well the evaluation version anyway... you can just keep
using it.

>On what operating systems?

>From the site:

"Minimum requirements are Microsoft Windows 95 or NT 3.51, and TextPad
is supported on Windows 98, ME, NT 4 and 2000. "

>Where's it available from?

www.textpad.com

Can you believe it ? :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thore B. Karlsen)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:24:39 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:22:26 GMT, Randall Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Sure, Emacs is configurable, but only with a lot of work. And even then it
>> might not be the right editor for you, so it's not the right answer for
>> everyone.

>The reason I've never tried Emacs is that some of the people who have claim that
>it is hard to configure. Then you find people who say it is easy to configure
>but one has no way of knowing how long they've used it and how long it took them
>to get to the point where they'd call it easy.

It _is_ hard to configure, unless you happen to be so insane as to like the
emacs defaults. I don't. I don't dismiss emacs as being useless, but the
emacs defaults are so far off from anything I would consider useful that it
just takes too much work to get it to work _with_ me, instead of _against_
me. Emacs out of the box is just as annoying to me as the Microsoft Office
paper clip. It just tries to do too much. The difference is that the Office
assistant is intelligent enough to understand when it's not wanted, while
emacs isn't.

>I want to install an editor, go to a menu pop-down that is labelled something
>like "Key Mappings" and then get a dialog box that has radio buttons or a combo
>box that lets me select from a half dozen popular key mappings (vi, Brief, CUA,
>etc). If it requires downloading separate Lisp scripts and trying to understand
>the guts of hacked up Lisp macros to get it to work right then I'm really not
>interested.

vim is _very_ easy to configure. You have good help files that are easy to
maneuver, and the customization screens in emacs don't hold a candle to the
ease of use and maneuverability of the corresponding screens in vim.

--
"By the time we've finished with him, he won't know whether
he's Number Six or the cube root of infinity!"

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:14:53 -0600

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:58:12 -0700, "Dan Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>VSE has a nice function browser and file browser, which ME lacks.  The
>beautify function is also very well done, and ME lacks that as well.  OTOH,
>ME handles tags MUCH more easily, and shows bookmarks on the editor screen
>(which I *really* like).  Outside of these functions, the two are pretty
>much equivalent.  Trial versions of both are downloadable.  But ME is around
>$120 street, VSE is around $200.

I just checked and VSE is still $295 for a single-user linux license
at their website, don't know about the street price. Even $200 seems a
bit stratospheric in the face of so many free alternatives.

Multiedit is $129 but I don't believe they make a linux version. The
version number hasn't been changed for quite some time, leading me to
wonder if they're continuing to improve it.

>And, at the risk of getting seriously flamed, *both* programs make XEmacs
>look clutzy and arcane... but then, XEmacs is free...

Agreed. I'm still trying out the various linux editors and haven't
settled on a particular one yet. So far most seem more than adequate
to the task. It's incomprehensible to me that someone would pay $300
for a single-platform closed-source programmer's editor, when there
are so many good multi-platform open-source editors to be had for
free.

------------------------------

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:19:25 -0500

         +------------------------+
         |                        |
         | PLEASE                 |
         |                        |
         |    Do not feed the     |
         |       Wintroll.        |
         |                        |
         | Thank you.             |
         |         The Management |
         |                        |
         +----------+--+----------+
                    |  |
                    |  |
                    |  |
                    |  |
                    |  |
                    |  |
  *  @   @ ( ) * @ )|@ | / @ \ * * @* * +@
 _)_()_(_(_|(__)_)_(|(_|/__/__)(_(_))_(_/)_

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: REPOST: Re: Communism confession
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:33:31 GMT

   Aaron> Roberto Alsina wrote:

   >> >then you're a Communist.
   >>
   >> Excuse me, but to ne a communist, don't you have to agree with other
   >> communists?

   Aaron> Ahall edited it, and then did a rogue cancel on my original post.

You are a liar.  Did you actually go so far as to cancel your
original post (message id --- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
to cover up your failure to be able to read your own words?

What a cowardly lying forger you are.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:35:36 GMT

   Roberto> On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 14:17:09 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Anyone

   Aaron> Ah yes, the usual "that isn't *real* communism" lie.
   >>> >> >>
   Aaron> So...tell us, Mr Wise guy...why are there not *ANY* "real communist"
   Aaron> countries in existance....and why is every country which calls itself
   Aaron> Communist also a police state?
   >>> >> >>
   Aaron> Accuracy counts, so be precise.

   Aaron> Very good, but that's very general and vague.
   >>> >>
   Aaron> I said be precise.
   >>> >>
   Aaron> You know...name some Communist-style government policies that
   Aaron> you disagree with.

   Aaron> then you're a Communist.
   >>>
   >>> Because I do not agree with any of their policies?
   >>
   >> You just said that you can't think of any that you do disagree with.

   Roberto> Interestingly enough, there are two versions of the "can you find"
statement
   Roberto> in two posts. Yet, I can't find the original post that matches THIS ONE.

   Roberto> My guess, Aaron just edited the quoted part when replying.

That is exactly what the liar did.  The original had message id
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, and was on google/dejanews last
week.  Perhaps his craven cowardice was so great that he canceled
his post.

   Roberto> How ugly!

Pitiful and cowardly.  Rather than admit he could not read his
own words, he stoops to lying and forgery.  Pathetic.

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:35:07 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, WesTralia
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:12:23 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >>
> >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> >> >

> >[...]
> >> >

> >> Personally, it's still my favorite type of programming...
> >> followed by microcoding.
> >>
> >> Because elegance and efficiency are closely tied at that level.
> >>

> >I think I am going to be sick!
>
> Eh?  Please explain.  Unless it's related to some personal vendetta
> between you and Aaron, in which case don't bother. :-)

Well, it's like this, I am going to be sick in Aaron's case in the same
sense that I would become sick if I saw Barbara Striesand (Babs) preaching
foreign policy and energy conservation.

For a Wintendo98 DosLuser, Aaron and microcoding seem like strange bedfellows.
Translation: BS!

OUTED!  LOL!

Crossposted-To: misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:39:10 GMT

   The> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
   >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   The>  wrote
   The> on Mon, 02 Apr 2001 10:40:33 -0400
   >> 4$-__-$_-%$_---$$$@news.noc.cabal.int>:

   Aaron> Ah yes, the usual "that isn't *real* communism" lie.
   >>> >>
   Aaron> So...tell us, Mr Wise guy...why are there not *ANY* "real communist"
   Aaron> countries in existance....and why is every country which calls itself
   Aaron> Communist also a police state?
   >>> >>
   Aaron> Accuracy counts, so be precise.

   Aaron> Very good, but that's very general and vague.
   >>>
   Aaron> I said be precise.
   >>>
   Aaron> You know...name some Communist-style government policies that
   Aaron> you agree with.
   >>>
   >>> Can't think of any in the real world.
   >>
   >> then you're a Communist.
   >>
   >> Thank you for admitting that you are an enemy of the US Constitution.
   >>
   >> This fact will be recorded for posterity.
   >>
   >> Heheheheheheh

His original post is still on google/dejanews, search for message
id <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

He is a lying cowardly forger, and now you all know it too.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism confession
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:43:40 GMT

   Aaron> Wrong.  ahall is the one who committed the forgery.
   >>
   >> Liar.
   >>
   >> Anyone that wishes to see his forgery in action look
   >> up the following posts on google/dejanews
   >>
   >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   >>
   >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   >>
   >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   >>
   >> You are a cowardly, lying forger.

   Aaron> Whatever, commie.

Let me add stupid to the above list.

I am libertarian, you are totalitarian and an
enemy of freedom.

You are also a stupid, lying, cowardly forger.

And lots of other people know it now too.