  Re: Linux faster than Windows? (Aaron Kulkis)

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: A cute linux song
Date: 7 Jul 2000 02:05:45 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> It's a fsking cult I tell you.......
> Now they have their own theme song.....
Well, it's better than the Microsoft's ``... makes grown man cry ...''.

[...]
>>(c)Copyright 2000 by Unicat
>>These lyrics are copyrighted to keep anyone else
>>from Copyrighting them. You may freely distribute or
>>reproduce these lyrics in any form you want
>>as long as you preserve this notice.
Political question: what about modifications?

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Don't go surfing in South Dakota for a while.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Uptime 6 months and counting.
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:14:04 -0400

Brian wrote:

> Hi Aaron:
>
> Aaron Kulkis wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >I've yet to see even a 400 VA battery backup that wasn't equipped
> >with a 30A wall cord.
>
> Sorry dude, apples and oranges.
>
> First of all, most UPS's are equipped with a 115V 15A wall cord.

Those cords will handle far more than 15 A, believe me.

> Second, a 400VA battery backup is capable of amazing short term power
> generation - limited only by the internal resistance of the batteries, the
> collective on-resistance of the power MOSFETs and the cumulative resistance
> of wire and solder.

Which is why a circuit breaker is built into every battery backup
system....to keep the batteries from sourcing more current than what
the other components can handle.

> Violation of any of the myriad rules of order at the alter of the mighty
> electron will release the magic smoke from the weakest links, often the most
> expensive components.

Only in poorly designed systems.  In properly designed systems,
the circuit breaker will trip before any magic smoke is released.

> Where is this thread going, anyway?

You tell me.

> Best regards,
>
> Brian

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Where did all my windows go?
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:14:09 -0400

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 02:02:18 GMT, Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> This is true. And special mention was made of the "my shit don't
>> stink" attitude of some of the Linux guys.
>
>As opposed to MS' modesty, ability to admit when they have a problem
>(and patch it quickly), etc...

I read the tests and the dude is correct, the Linux techies made quite an
impression on all who attended. Mostly bad.
>> >I've seen the results posted by PC World (I forget the exact name) where NT
>> >held up better than Linux.
>>
>> Don't remember that one. I don't usually read PCWorld though.
>
>I belive that was the one where a linux and NT box were setup to see
>which was hacked more.  They didn't apply any security patches to the
>Linux box saying that admins/users don't like to have to apply numerous
>patches.. and therefore left the box wide open.  Yet they seemed to have
>no problem applying all the NT SPs and other patches.  That was the
>lamest "test" I think I've ever seen.

If that is the case, then that is a highly unfair test. I don't support rigged
testing of any od and in fact my opinion is that the correct benchmark is one
that runs the users applications on each platform.

Let's face it a benchmark can be designed to make any os or application look
good....

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:19:21 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 03:07:20 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >wrote on Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:18:47 -0400 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >>Craig Kelley wrote:
> >
> >[snip]

> >>                               ^^^^^
> >>Lose32
> >
> >Now now, let's not insult the protocol.  Even if it does do
> >palettes in a peculiar manner [*], requires that a user register
> >a window class before actually opening a window, includes unrelated
> >crap such as "MulDiv()" (????), thinks in terms of thunks because of the
> >32-16 bit backward compatibility and horrible segmenting issues of
> >the ix86 processor, takes 10 (?) parameters to create a process when
> >none are really needed, can't handle a hung process properly [+],
> >doesn't know network transparency from a hole in the wall, is
> >restricted to at most three processor types (one of which is no
> >longer officially supported, and the other which is probably better
> >off running MacOS or Linux :-) ) and is different between WinCE, Win3.1,
> >Win95, Win98, Win98SE, WinNT3.51, WinNT4, and Win2K. :-)
>
> None of this mattars to the user.
>

> >Then again...hmm...maybe we *should* insult the protocol.... :-)
> >At least X11R6 doesn't mutate from Unix to Unix (although there are
> >different extensions).
>
> ..at least Windo's doesn't halve anny crap blakc-and-wite app's.
>
> At least Windo's doesant make you tipe commands in DOS boxes.

Neither does Unix.

However, WinDOS *DOES* force you to point and click EVERYTHING.

Unix lets you point-click or type.

Choice...what a horrible thing.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LIE-nux is SUPPOST to destroy data
Date: 7 Jul 2000 02:15:44 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> When a Wintroll says "Windows", it means "some fictitious Windows
> hybrid that should be called VaporWindows that is as stable as
> Unix, and twice as fast, runs all the Windows 98 SE software and
[...]
Aha, that's what the Scientologists call Clear, right?

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Experience is the worst teacher.  It always
gives the test first and the instruction afterward.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 18:48:25 -0700

Why do you use [EMAIL PROTECTED] when you don't have and account or
mailbox at Earthlink with the user name simon777?  If you want to use an
invalid email address to prevent direct emailing, why don't you use an
obviously invalid email address?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is just plain awful
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:29:20 -0400

Woofbert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Joel Barnett"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > <snipped the unimportant parts>
> >
> > Schools out for the Summer, eh ? Pretty unimaginative as trolls go,
> > i.e., obviously bogus storyline, stock Linux complaints,
>
> Oh, yes, there can't be anything to the story at all, especially
> considering that it only rehashes the same complaints you're already
> familiar with...
>
> Now is it just me or does that make no sense? Doesn't it seem as though
> someone ought to actually look into these complaints and try to fix the
> problem?
>
> From my own experience with Linux, Windows, and Macintosh, I can see how
> the complaints would make sense. The herd is stampeding to follow a new
> leader ... only Linux isn't as polished as Windows.

The problems mentioned were fixed YEARS AGO.

Hope that helps, dork.

> For development machines, servers, embedded apps, and tinker-toys, Linux
> is great. But is it really ready for commercial software?

Linux is more home-user friendly than Unix, and Unix systems have been
more workable as a desktop OS than LoseDOS ever was.

Unix had SEVERAL fully functional GUIs ***BEFORE*** LoseDOS 1.0

hope that also helps, dork.

> >etc. But keep trying, you might get better. Oh, in order to make a
> >good troll, it helps to know something more about Linux than what you
> >pickup in COLA.
> >
> > By the way, why did the lawyer lose data ??
> >
> > JBarntt
> >

> --
> Woofbert <woofbert at infernosoft dot com>, Datadroid, Infernosoft
> Putting the No in Innovation. www.infernosoft.com/woofbert/index.html
> Infernosoft: Putting the No in Innovation. http://www.infernosoft.com
> "It doesn't matter what I think." -- "Dr." Laura

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux faster than Windows?
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:31:03 -0400

"Tod D. Ihde" wrote:

> Will you all quit your whining? Who cares? People use what they use.
> Besides, ever since we moved away from 8-bit machines, nobody has
> given a darn about good code. Everyone got lazy when memory &
> CPU cycles got cheap.

You've never run systems that house corporate databases for a Fortune
50 company, have you....

I'm talking about... warehouse inventories
automotive CAD drawings,
Customer accounts at stock brokers, etc., etc..

> If you don't like a platform, don't work with it... But please, don't whine
> about it either.
>
>  *sigh*
>
>  Tod.
>
> Christian Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) writes:
> >> bobh{at}haucks{dot}org (Bob Hauck) wrote in

> >> I'm testing on Intel hardware. How is multiple platform support relevant to
> >> that?
> >>
> >> Yes, you're right, I'm testing the compiler. The same compiler that builds
> >> the OS, right?
> >>
> > Try this test.
> > Find a bubble sort algorithm, and compile it Windows using VCC.
> > Find a qsort algorithm, use qsort in libc, and compile it using GCC on *nix.
>
> > The code produced by VCC would probably be better then equivalent code on
> > GCC (by your own benchmarks.) But against the qsort compiled with GCC, it
> > won't stand a chance on a sorting benchmark, even one compiled with the
> > "inferior" GCC.
>
> > The point?
>
> > Don't compare OSes based on the compiler used to compile them. Linux is
> > fundamentally more efficient than Windows (Win9x, certainly) that the slight
> > drop in compiler speed is more than offset by efficiency in the code (just
> > like the bubbesort vs quick sort.)
>
> > Christian
>
> --
>
>  * All opinions expressed herein belong to Me. Tod D. Ihde. So there. *
>   *  HTTP://toon.jesus-crispie.com/   HTTP://www.jesus-crispie.com/  *
>    *            "I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees."            *
>     *                                             -Dr. Seuss       *

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.