From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:40:04 -0400

void wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 20:42:09 GMT, Joe Ragosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Except Macs--where things just work.
>
> Tell that to my friend, who bought an iMac and had a hard time getting
> his SCSI Zip drive to work over USB.
>
> Now, my friend is pretty clueless, but he had someone more knowledgeable
> look at it, and they couldn't get it working either.
>
> I'm not anti-Mac, but be realistic.  Things do not "just work" 100% of
> the time on any hardware platform that I know of.
>
> --
>  Ben

Now, ahy are you blaming Apple for a non-supported peripheral not
working. How hard was it to connect a USB Zip to the iMac?

--
Rick
To reply by email remove the obvious from my address.

------------------------------

From: "Hacker's Corner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.conspiracy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Wasn't linux well established BEFORE antitrust action?
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 23:24:43 +0200

"Nathaniel Jay Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I wonder if maybe Microsoft has been hugely affected by the trial.  A
> few years ago (maybe only two) I expected to see a huge MS backlash to
> Linux.  The backlash I figured would happen (and still expect at any
> moment) is an attempt at MS Linux, which will completely and utterly
> suck.  What better way to destroy Linux?  Make a version of it that is
> buggy and slower than hell and market the piss out of it, then when it
> fails MS can say, "See?  Linux sucks, just like we said all along, now
> please come back to the Windows fold."
>
> Of course, this could backfire if they ever make the attempt to say they
> will support their version of Linux.  But I wouldn't look for that to
> happen.  After all, they don't support Windows (and never have as far as
> I can tell).  If you don't believe me, try calling a MS support line
> sometime.  I swear, you will recieve one of the canned responses:
>
> 1. It sounds like a hardware problem (number one response from MS
> techs).
> 2. It sounds like a software conflict caused by (insert third party
> software here).  You will need to format and re-install without (insert
> third party software here) and purchase (insert MS attempt to mimic
> third party software here) to have an "officially" supported system.
> (Note: I have actually heard this one myself.)
> 3. We don't support your copy of Windows.  Call your reseller (probably
> second only to you have a hardware problem.).
>
> And that's pretty much the only support MS will give on any product they
> ever sell.

I bought MS Office 98 for the Mac one year ago. I received the official
license agreement first, and the cd would come later as it was out of stock.
I called Microsoft with some question before I received the cdrom.
They refused to help me, they needed the serial from the cdrom, and would
not accept the registration number of the 50 user license agreement instead.
Quite ridiculous.

At the MSDN information desk they answer your phone call as follows :
"Microsoft Developer Network, may I have your name and telephone
number please ?". Never experienced a company which is that rude, and
I would *never* start a conversation with our own customers like that.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux lags behind Windows
Date: 7 Jul 2000 21:35:01 GMT

> As for multiplatform support, that's a tricky thing. I remember the
promise
 > of various toolkits that promised multiplatform support (XVT for one)
but
 > failed to deliver because they only supported the lowest common
 > denominator. Like Java did, in its first incarnations.

Multiplatform support for Linux is not an unproven theory as you seem to
want to believe.   In my office I have Linux running on my Thinkpad, and
Linux running on an S/390 G6.   The guy down the hall from me has Linux
running on his RS/6000.   These are production systems doing very real
work.  I also run Linux on my Aptiva at home and use it for both personal
and business.  So far, every program that I have moved from my Thinkpad to
the S/390 has worked perfectly with nothing more than a recompile.   And I
have been moving a LOT of code.  I am able to run Lotus notes on both my
Thinkpad and my Aptiva.
As a matter of fact, just for the fun of it, this post is being brought to
you by Lotus Notes 5.03 running on Linux on my Apivta at home.

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Sobol)
Crossposted-To: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Subject: Re: offering escape, Re: Three things not to say to spam victims...
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 21:38:08 GMT

>From 'Ron Ritzman':

>I'm not completely unfamiliar with nix. I broke my net teeth on
>shell accounts so I know my way around a command line. However, I
>found out that running nix on your own PC is a completely
>different thing from having a shell account on somebody elses
>box. I played around with Winlinux which simplified a lot of the
>setup issues that surround more traditional distros and even then
>I was amazed as to the hoops that one had to jump through just to
>do simple things such as getting the sound card working. Windows
>plug n pray had spoiled me.

PNP is available for Linux too, now. But there is still a learning curve.

>Another thing I found out was that all of the newest and sexiest
>services and applications are written for Windows first. (and
>sometimes Windows only)

Yup.

>Why is it that Netscape can develop its browsers for Windows,
>Mac, and nix concurrently but nobody else can?

Microsoft has IE for Solaris and a couple other versions of Unix now :)

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH  http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Steve Sobol, BOFH - President, Chief Website Architect and Janitor

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 21:45:03 GMT

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:02:04 -0500, Jason McNorton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (void) wrote:

>> > Tell that to my friend, who bought an iMac and had a hard time getting
>> > his SCSI Zip drive to work over USB.
>> >
>> > Now, my friend is pretty clueless, but he had someone more knowledgeable
>> > look at it, and they couldn't get it working either.
>> >
>> > I'm not anti-Mac, but be realistic.  Things do not "just work" 100% of
>> > the time on any hardware platform that I know of.
>>

>> Nope. Just vastly more often than any other platform.
>
>Then don't say it 'just works', cause it sure doesn't.

        This is quite likely a vendor support issue. USB isn't quite like
        ADB since it's not an Apple standard. With both the SCSI->USB host
        and the Zip itself you have to hope that the hardware vendor is
        supporting your platform of choice in a reasonable manner.

--

        It only takes a little bit of bad luck to negate the whole benefit
        of "runs everything" for a particualar end user.

------------------------------

From: Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: 07 Jul 2000 17:51:00 -0400

John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hyman Rosen wrote:
> > Of course this is a lie. The point of the GPL is to encourage
> > the development of free software.
> >
> That statement isn't consistant with the result, since the GPL
> isn't free.

Yes it is. In any case, the GPL certainly encourages the development
of more GPLed software.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: A MacOpinion of Open Source that REALLY HITS THE MARK
Date: 7 Jul 2000 16:50:31 -0500

Let me tell you, this guy Lewis has written a fantastic article that really
really hits the mark. He tells it like it is and manages to say it concisely
and without insulting anyone. He says all the things I wish I could say in a
newsgroup posting without being interrupted by zealots and fanatics with
their spue. I loved reading this and I hope you do too:

http://www.macopinion.com/columns/macskeptic/00/07/07/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 21:52:16 GMT

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:00:23 -0300, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:

>> >Please parse the sentence carefully.  The term 'free' and GPL are
>> >incompatible.
>>
>>         No they aren't. The GPL seeks to ensure certain end user
>>         freedoms in perpetuity. If anyone is lying here it is you.
>
>US XVIIIth century law seeked to ensure the right of the plantation
>owner to
>enslave certain specific humans in perpetuity. Is that free for you?

        That might have some point and not just be demogogery if
        it weren't for the fact that it is the GPL that seeks to
        extend liberties to more people rather than to restrict
        them for the many in order to benefit the few.

>The GPL seeks to ensure certain rights by denying certain others. That
>is
>not inherently bad or good, but it IS.
>
>This "the GPL is free" "it is not" debate is ludicrous, Noone has a
>freedometer.
>
>Freedom is not a number.

        Then why are you arguing as if it is such.

        The end of slavery increased the liberties of many while curtailing
        the liberties of a few. The rule of law in general does this. So does
        the GPL. Georgia is currently not "less free" or "unfree" just like
        GPL is not somehow "unfree".

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 21:54:20 GMT

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 14:26:03 -0500, John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hyman Rosen wrote:
>>
>> John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> > I suspect that you might be mislead...  They do expect their
>> > audience to be simpletons -- otherwise the myth of the
>> > software being free wouldn't have lasted...  It is a
>> > sad commentary on those who cannot critically think, but
>> > have a serial nature to their thought.
>>
>> What a classic sour grapes statement! Having failed to convince
>> anyone of your views, you attempt to justify your failure by
>> calling those people simpletons and incapable of critcal thought.
>>
>Those who understand the license and the law don't need convincing.
>Those who are religiously indocorinated don't care about reality.

        No, even those that consdier the viral nature of the GPL
        to be evil understand what is meant by free in it's context.

        It's only those that find some strange need to suck up to those
        that would allow gratis software to be exploited to the detriment
        of end users in general that find some need to whine about the GPL
or the 'dishonesty' of FSF rhetoric.

[deletia]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 21:56:52 GMT

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:55:14 -0300, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hyman Rosen escribió:
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>> > The LGPL does not have this problem.  Nor the one
>> > I mentioned.  But it doesn't serve the political
>> > agenda of the FSF - the point of the GPL really *is*
>> > to control and usurp the works of others.
>>
>> Of course this is a lie. The point of the GPL is to encourage
>> the development of free software.
>
>That only makes sense if you accept a priori that what the GPL
>calls free software actually is free software.
>
>According to some opinion's (say, Mr. Dyson's and lately, my own)
>the GPL is not free in several meaningful ways.

        It is not "free" in that it dissallows others to restrict
        the freedoms that they themselves have exploited. That is
        liberty versus anarchy that devolves into despotism.

[deletia]

        You support developers that trade security for a minor bit of
        convenience so your motivation to attack the GPL is quite clear.

From: Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 07 Jul 2000 17:58:32 -0400

John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Those other things that are free have few counterparts that are more free.
> In the case of GPL, there are certainly licenses that are MUCH MORE FREE.

Oh, certainly. I wouldn't argue otherwise. But just because there are
other licenses that are more free, that doesn't make the GPL not free.

The GPL takes certain freedoms away from those who would use code
licensed by it because it has a broader goal than simply allowing
one particular piece of software to be used in any way. Nevertheless,
the freedoms it does allow, over what normal copyright law forbids,
are sufficient to label code licensed by the GPL as "free".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 21:57:55 GMT

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:04:27 -0400, Austin Ziegler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 7 Jul 2000, Graham Murray wrote:
>> In gnu.misc.discuss, John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>> Your counter-example is fallacious.  An example of a GPL-like parking
>>> lot is that it is marked 'free parking', but that means that it is
>>> 'free' to park there.  However, a GPL-parking lot requires that you
>>> pay to leave the lot with your car.
>> How about another example.
>>
>> "A free man may not be enslaved, nor may his children".
>
>Debunked.
>
>Software is not a person. Children are not possessions. Slavery

        ...but end users are.

[deletia]

        Your debunking is merely dellsuion.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 21:59:30 GMT

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:15:23 -0400, Austin Ziegler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 7 Jul 2000, Steve Mading wrote:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>: You cannot steal something that has 1000's of copies already on the
>>: net.
>> Ahem - Kerberos.
>
>Spec problem, not copyright problem. NEXT?

        IOW, the specification much like a licence wasn't sufficiently
        structured with abusive Robber Baron's in mind.

        That sort of mistake is precisely why the GPL came into existence.

[deletia]

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is just plain awful
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:01:42 -0400

Uwe Böhme wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Uwe Böhme wrote:
> [snipped the fullquote]
> >> Also certifications from private
> >> companies like RH or SuSE can not be the final solution.
>
> > Uh oh.. a German talking about a Final Solution....
> > :-)
> Sorry, shouldn't have done that. As you clearly pointed out,

It's a JOKE man..
that's what the smiley face :-) is for.

> I'm no native talker. So you may excuse the fact, that my
> knowledge of historical english terms is quite small.
> What I wanted to say is:
> "entgültige Lösung"
> _NOT_
> "Endlösung".
>
> Maybe you are able to understand the difference (I think you
> could also figure out that there is a difference between
> >> final solutuion
> and
> > Final Solution
> Uh, maybe in english it's the same, even if my teacher used
> to tell me something diferent.
> I just guess you like Germans, not so :-)
>
> Ok, but don't you think finding standards is a real problem?

Standards will come about on their own.  Good ideas will
propagate to all distributions...lousy ideas will die...
sometimes stubbornly, sometimes quietly (like SCSI vs
IDE vs. MFM)

> --
> Uwe Böhme
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.bnhof.de/~uwe/

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Thorne digest, volume 2451733
From: EdWIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 14:59:24 -0700

The Tholenator tholed:
>Today's Thorne digest:
>
>1> Prove it, if you think you can.
>
>It's self-evident, Thorne.

Incorrect.

>You're looking at it.

On what basis do you make this claim?

>1> Typical lack of specificity.
>
>Incorrect, Thorne.

Balderdash.

>1> Balderdash.
>
>Incorrect, Thorne.

Balderdash.

>1> You're erroneously presupposing the existence of evidence.
>
>Incorrect, Thorne.

Balderdash.   Are you taking posting lessons from Eric "Master
of Balderdash" Bennett again?  How typical.

>1> Incorrect.
>
>Incorrect, Thorne.

Prove it, if you think you can.

>1> Prove it, if you think you can.
>
>I already did that, Thorne.

Incorrect.

> But it's easy to repeat the actual text:

Irrelevant.

>] 2> Typical lack of specificity.
>]
>] What is "specificity", Thorne?

Don't you know?

>1> Irrelevant.
>
>Incorrect, Thorne.

Prove it, if you think you can.

>1> Don't you know?
>
>I know that you altered what I wrote, Thorne.

What you know is irrelevant, what you can prove is relevant.

>1> Non sequitur.
>
>Incorrect, Thorne.

Balderdash.

>1> Note: no response.
>
>Incorrect, Thorne.

Prove it, if you think you can.

>1> Incorrect.
>
>Incorrect, Thorne.

Balderdash.

>1> Prove it, if you think you can.
>
>I already did that, Thorne.

Incorrect.

> But it's easy to repeat the actual text:

Irrelevant.

>] 2> Typical lack of specificity.
>]
>] What is "specificity", Thorne?

Don't you know?

>1> Irrelevant.
>
>Incorrect, Thorne.

Balderdash.

>1> Don't you know?
>
>I know that you altered what I wrote, Thorne.

What you know is irrelevant, what you can prove is relevant.

>1> Non sequitur.
>
>Incorrect, Thorne.

Balderdash.

>1> Note: no response.
>
>Incorrect, Thorne.

Prove it, if you think you can.

>1> Balderdash.
>
>Incorrect, Thorne.

Balderdash.

>1> I see you failed to answer the question.
>
>Incorrect, Thorne.

Prove it, if you think you can.

>1> No surprise there.
>
>No surprise that you're incorrect, Thorne.

Typical erroneous and unsubstantiated claim.  Meanwhile, where
is your logical argument?  Why, nowhere to be seen!

>1> On what basis do you make this claim?
>
>On the basis of the presence of my answer, Thorne.

You're erroneously presupposing the existence of an answer.

>1> You're erroneously presupposing my eyes aren't open.
>
>Incorrect, given your claim that you can't see the answer.

Illogical.  Are you taking illogic lessons from Joe "Master of
Illogic" Malloy again?  How typical.

>1> Classic invective, laced with irony.
>
>Where is the alleged invective or irony, Thorne?

Open your eyes, Dave.

>1> Incorrect.
>
>Why lie about it, Thorne?

You're erroneously presupposing the existence of "it."

>  You obviously did think wrong,

Prove it, if you think you can.

>given that I am responding to Eric Bennett,

Irrelevant.

> contrary to your thought.

Incorrect.

>1> Prove it, if you think you can.
>
>Simple:

Incorrect.

>your thought contradicts reality, Thorne.

Prove it, if you think you can.

>1> Don't you know?
>
>Why do you think I asked, Thorne?

I see you failed to answer the question.  No surprise there.
Are you taking posting lessons from Eric "Master of Failing to
Answer Questions" Bennett again?  How typical.

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.best,alt.linux.sucks,be.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ## HOT ## Microsoft software for Linux
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 19:43:28 +0200

It was the Fri, 07 Jul 2000 10:22:27 GMT...
...and Wouter Verhelst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Gert Vandelaer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in bericht
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > This is not the only Microsoft program for Linux.
> > > For a long time exists Microsoft Netshow (like realplayer) for Linux -
> check
> > > the microsoft site.
> >
> > I WILL MOST CERTAINLY DO NO SUCH THING !!!!
> > :-)
>
> Neither will I ;-)
> Still, there is even other software from M$ for Linux: Frontpage extensions
> to the Apache Webserver (Not really Linux, but more for Unix)
> However, as could be expected, there are several security issues in using
> this program...
> :-)))

The FrontPage extension module for Apache implements FrontPage
extensions, but that doesn't mean that it has been written by the same
people who have written FrontPage. (Hint: That module is *not*
Microsoft software AFAIK.)

mawa
--
Duuuude! (he was sure there was an unlaut in there somewhere)
                                                       -- Cary Sandvig

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: A e-mail client with Outlook-like functionality
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 19:45:01 +0200

It was the Fri, 7 Jul 2000 18:36:37 +1200...
...and Adam Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I didn't try kmail again recently because it appeared to previously eat
> data. But I did try (from memory) Mahogany, CSCMail, Pronto, Ishmail,
> XCMail, xfmail, Spruce, etc. I didn't try others that did not include
> filtering (e.g. I think Balsa, etc.).

Evolution is an Outlook clone and will do what you want and more, but
it's still very very alpha.

mawa

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:04:54 -0400

Jim Cameron wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip happens>

> >AHA152x: refused to auto install, had to add aha152x=0x340,11,7,1 to LILO.
>
> Some SCSI cards *ahem*Adaptec*ahem* don't auto-detect well. SCSI
> in general is notoriously difficult to get running if you don't
> have enough goats.

Strange.. .I use Adaptec EXCLUSIVELY for SCSI, and I've never
had the slightest problem.

Of course...I've never tried using one of those $25 cheapo cards
that comes with a scanner.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C# is a copy of java
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:07:17 -0400

Jim Cameron wrote:

> You've been told several times now, TRIM YOUR DAMN .SIG!

Who here is working on a 1200 buad or less line?

Who here is working on a system with less than 50 MB of disk space?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.