Linux-Advocacy Digest #522, Volume #32           Tue, 27 Feb 01 10:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: Mircosoft Tax (mlw)
  Re: [OT] .sig (Mathew Hendry)
  Re: [OT] .sig (Mathew Hendry)
  Re: [OT] .sig (Joona I Palaste)
  Re: Something Seemingly Simple. (Richard Heathfield)
  Re: Linux--First Impressions from a semi-newbie ("Masha Ku'Inanna")
  Re: Mircosoft Tax ("cat  cola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
  Re: [OT] .sig ("Peter Pichler")
  Re: PI proposal for std lib (was: Something Seemingly Simple.) (Richard Heathfield)
  Re: [OT] .sig ("Peter Pichler")
  Re: Mircosoft Tax ("cat  cola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
  Re: State of linux distros ("Reefer")
  Re: Whistler predictions... (Per Abrahamsen)
  Re: why open source software is better (Dave Pearson)
  Re: Something Seemingly Simple. (Dan Pop)
  Re: Something Seemingly Simple. (Dan Pop)
  Ok i admit it, I am an arsehole (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: [OT] .sig (Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)
  Re: Ok i admit it, I am an arsehole (Ian Davey)
  Re: Something Seemingly Simple. (Dan Pop)
  Re: [OT] .sig (Aaron Kulkis)
  My long signature (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: [OT] .sig (Aaron Kulkis)

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:41:17 -0500

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> > >
> > > Besides doubts about the assumptions of the argument, the logic
> > > is equally absurd -- why *should* software become cheaper ?
> > > Are they saying that it should get cheaper because hardware
> > > is cheaper ? If that's the case, why not complain that milk isn't
> > > getting cheaper ?
> >
> > Incremental improvements are far cheaper than initial developments. So "next
> > versions" should be cheaper than new versions.
>
> You all are missing my point.  Microsoft was almost giving away the
> office products a few years ago.  Now they're gouging you for it.
> Monopoly power.

That was my point.

--
The majority of the stupid is invincible and guaranteed for all time.
The terror of their tyranny, however, is alleviated by their lack of

------------------------------

From: Mathew Hendry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:46:05 +0000

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:35:36 +0000, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>When was the last time you crawled under machine-gun fire, seeing the
>>>tracers flying literally within arm's reach of your head?
>>
>> I didn't know they were still using agent orange over there.
>
>Agent orange is still in widespread use as a weedkiller (a plant
>biologist informed me of this). I can't remember its name though.
>
>Just out of intrest, what do tracer bullits have to do with weed killer?
>
>I really can't figure that out.

IIRC agent orange has some unpleasant side-effects on fetal development,
including limbs appearing in the wrong place (or not at all).

-- Mat.

------------------------------

From: Mathew Hendry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:46:35 +0000

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 06:44:49 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Mathew Hendry wrote:

>> >When was the last time you crawled under machine-gun fire, seeing
>> >the tracers flying literally within arm's reach of your head?
>>
>> I didn't know they were still using agent orange over there.
>
>Answer the question!

I'm sure Zoran can answer it himself, if he hasn't killfiled you already. Since
I believe he hails from Yugoslavia, I wouldn't be too surprised if your childish
challenge falls flat.

-- Mat.

------------------------------

From: Joona I Palaste <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: 27 Feb 2001 13:45:34 GMT

Mathew Hendry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribbled the following
on comp.lang.c:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:35:08 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>When was the last time you crawled under machine-gun fire, seeing
>>the tracers flying literally within arm's reach of your head?

Why is it that every time some American prick like Aaron starts losing
an argument, he resorts to the old "I've got a big gun, so I can do
anything I bloody well want" excuse? This is no place for your sick gun
fetishes, Aaron.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ---------------------------\
| http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste       W++ B OP+                     |

"Keep shooting, sooner or later you're bound to hit something."
   - Misfire

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:45:17 +0000
From: Richard Heathfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.

Edward Rosten wrote:

<snip>

> For standard C, you need both a conformant C library and a conformant C
> compiler.
  ^^^^^^^^

Or interpreter. Or whatever.

--
Richard Heathfield
K&R Answers: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/index.html

------------------------------

From: "Masha Ku'Inanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux--First Impressions from a semi-newbie
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:52:32 -0500

<snip>

> Your safest bet is an external modem with a serial interface; serial
> interfaces can't handle the bandwidth needed for a winmodem, and such
> modems perforce must be controller-based.  Most (all?) USB modems will
> work if you have a 2.4 kernel.  Many ISA modems will work; Creative
> makes one of these that is specifically marketed as controller-based,
> right there on the box, and sells for about $70.  Most PCI modems
> won't work.
>
> See http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html for the best known
> compatibility list for modems.

Creative makes their ModemBlaster, ISA, marketted as a controller-based
modem for around 69.99, these days. Their PCI modem-blaster line is
comprised of winmodems for 39.00...

3Com/USRobotics make good controller-based modems, and a couple of them are
marketted specifically as such, for PCI and ISA. Roughly, they're about
89.00 and their winmodems are 49.99 or so. An external modem from 3Com is
around 120.00 depending on where you look.

------------------------------

From: "cat < nonsense > cola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:01:35 -0500

> > You all are missing my point.  Microsoft was almost giving away the
> > office products a few years ago.  Now they're gouging you for it.
> > Monopoly power.
>
> That was my point.

I'm a little confused here. When exactly was Microsoft "almost giving away "
the office products?
And if you can provide the when, can you also provide the price? Since you
have used 'you' as the gouge-e, I'm assuming that OEM's aren't in this set
of those being gouged. A few years ago, by my use of 'few', would equate to
the release of office 97. MS wasn't giving this product away by any stretch.
I should know, I purchased it.  Office 2000, the current version, is
comparably priced to the previous version. So, I have to ask, just what the
hell are you all arguing about? When was ms giving their cash cow (office)
away?

------------------------------

From: "Peter Pichler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:26:56 -0000

Aaron Kulkis wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Gergo Barany wrote:
>> Usenet, and "any other place", are not in the US, therefore US law
>> does not apply here.
>
>And your point is?

His point is that despite of what you might think, Usenet does /not/
belong to the U.S.A. and that Al Gore did /not/ invent Internet.

>*I* am still in the US of A.

Good for you. I am not. Good for me.

>My actions occur HERE, in the US of A.

Yes, but they can be seen in Russia, China, Southern Africa or Peru.
I hope that /at least/ some people over there are not going to come
to the conclusion that all American citizens are like you.

>If you don't like that, then you can go fuck yourself.

OK.

**** plonk! ****

--
Peter Pichler (Increment my "From:" address if your email bounces.)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:52:02 +0000
From: Richard Heathfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c,comp.std.c
Subject: Re: PI proposal for std lib (was: Something Seemingly Simple.)

[cross-posted to comp.std.c]

Edward Rosten wrote:

<snip>

> Has anyone proposed than a definition of PI should be included in the
> maths library?

Ed, this question is (only just) off-topic in comp.lang.c (and,
probably, in comp.os.linux.advocacy too).

I suspect, however, that it's /on/-topic in comp.std.c, and they are
certainly in a better position to answer your question anyway.

Followups set.

From: "Peter Pichler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:58:58 -0000

Rich Hanson wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>This message is *not* solicitation for contact via email or phone

Hey, I like it! Do you claim a copyright?

------------------------------

From: "cat < nonsense > cola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:06:00 -0500

> > I am
> > quite sure you didn't mean to say that, but that's the way your
statement
> > parses. Care to clarify a little? Otherwise you'd be flamebait for all
MS
> > haters who'll keep on harping that the various incarnations of Windows
> > keep getting slower for the same price.
>
> I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion?

As is widely reported, WinMe is slower than 98SE in any test run that
measures speed in regards to an OS.

------------------------------

From: "Reefer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: State of linux distros
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:06:52 GMT

"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Your reading comprehension problem does NOT connote a failure on my part.

You are getting less and less interesting for each new posting that you
do...how do you manage that?

------------------------------

From: Per Abrahamsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler predictions...
Date: 27 Feb 2001 15:09:36 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith) writes:

> Perhaps it is that way in your country (although I doubt this), but in
> the US and most of the rest of the world, neither copyright law nor
> precedent gives you a right to make even one backup.  Rather, what the
> law says is that making backups is not a violation of copyright.
>
> The EULA, if it is enforceable, is enforceable as a contract.  Even if
> you had a right to make backups under the law, you could give away that
> right in a contract.

According to Danish law, it is not possible to give up your right to
make a backup copy.  Nor is it possible to give up your right to
examine (decompile) the program in order to figure out how it work.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Pearson)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: why open source software is better
Date: 27 Feb 2001 14:09:14 GMT

* Craven Moorehead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I find this thread curious. Open source is better the closed ?

Here you're talking about quality.

> What it REALLY means to most people is free is better then paying for
> something.
>
> 50 million people use Napster, how many would if they had to pay
> commercial rates for the songs ? 1-2 million MAYBE and they would be very
> choosy in what they downloaded.

And here you talk about quantity. You're not really comparing like with
like.

> What do you hear all the time ? Linux guys downloading the latest ISO of
> Linux, clogging up the net with downloads.
>
> Would they do it if they had to pay a fee ? No, most would not.

And again, you're talking about quantity. You also don't offer any actual
explanation of why you know that nobody would purchase GNU/Linux
distributions.

> All Linux has got really going for it is that it is free.

I'm not quite sure how you'd back that up but it's pretty much missing the
point. For starters, plenty of people pay for GNU/Linux distributions in
many different ways, either by paying for with-support copies or simply by
investing time and effort in learning it fully.

The cost of purchasing most desktop operating systems is negligible compared
to the costs of learning and running them.

> You can crap on about the "AUTHOR him/herself agreeing to give out the
> source" rubbish. If everyone had to pay for Linux and the price was the
> same or more then Windows (the price of Windows could be very elastic if
> MS wants) it would be as dead as a Dodo from a popularity perspective.

Why?

> The only really bad thing about Windows is that it costs money. If it was
> free Linux would not even be heard from.

So, every free-of-cost operating system is really popular?

--
Dave Pearson:                   |     lbdb.el - LBDB interface.
http://www.davep.org/           |  sawfish.el - Sawfish mode.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Pop)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: 27 Feb 2001 14:09:09 GMT

In <97fsrp$675$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Well, this subthread *is* about PI's presence in C headers. And, it
>> turns out, an implementation that defines a PI macro violates the ISO C
>> Standard. And since the ISO C Standard and related issues are the topic
>> of comp.lang.c, this is rather significant.
>
>Out of curiosity, which part of the ISO standard does it violate?

    Each header declares and defines only those identifiers listed in its
    associated section.
    The header <math.h> declares several mathematical functions and
    defines one macro.  The functions take double-precision arguments and
    return double-precision values.  Integer arithmetic functions and
    conversion functions are discussed later.

       The macro defined is

             HUGE_VAL

    which expands to a positive double expression, not necessarily
    representable as a float.

The above quotes are from ANSI C89.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
CERN, IT Division

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Pop)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: 27 Feb 2001 14:11:47 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Mathew Hendry
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:42:53 +0000, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> Well, this subthread *is* about PI's presence in C headers. And, it
>>> turns out, an implementation that defines a PI macro violates the ISO C
>>> Standard. And since the ISO C Standard and related issues are the topic
>>> of comp.lang.c, this is rather significant.
>>
>>Out of curiosity, which part of the ISO standard does it violate?
>
>From the 3 Aug 1998 draft, 4 - Conformance
>
>| 6 [...] A conforming hosted implementation shall accept accept any strictly
>| conforming program. [...] A conforming implementation may have extensions
>| (including additional library functions), provided that they do not alter
>| the behavior of any strictly conforming program.)
>
>A footnote to that clause then says
>
>| This implies that a conforming implementation reserves no identifiers other
>| than those explicitly reserved in this International Standard.
>
>The following strictly conforming program
>
>  #include <stdio.h>
>
>  #ifndef PI
>  # define PI 123
>  #endif
>
>  int main(void) { printf("%d\n", PI); return 0; }
>
>would have its behavior altered if PI happened to be defined (to something other
>than 123 :) in <stdio.h>.

However, none of your quotes proves that <math.h> cannot define PI.

Dan

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ok i admit it, I am an arsehole
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:20:58 GMT

Ok i admit it, I am an arsehole

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:09:03 +0100

Mathew Hendry wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 06:44:49 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> >Answer the question!
>
> I'm sure Zoran can answer it himself, if he hasn't killfiled you already.
> Since I believe he hails from Yugoslavia, I wouldn't be too surprised if
> your childish challenge falls flat.

No, he posted from Germany. But I would not be overly surprised if he
has killfiled that jerk. I did killfile that bozo in the suck-stage, not
even in the newsreader. He is the only one currenlty to have achieved
something like that, although Chad Myers was a strong conetender at a
time. But Chad is just dumb, A R Kulkis is way beyond that.

Peter

--
Linux is simply a fad that has been generated by the media
We are Borg. Resistance is futile (Borg Gates)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Subject: Re: Ok i admit it, I am an arsehole
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:39:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ok i admit it, I am an arsehole

If you want to be convincing you need to forge Aaron's headers as well, not
just an email address...

> Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:20:58 GMT

ian.

 \ /
(@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
/(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
 | |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Pop)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: 27 Feb 2001 14:28:26 GMT

In <97g9vp$gdb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>> Yes it does (assuming "Standard C" means one of the incarnations of ISO
>>> 9899 in this context, which I strongly suspect).
>>
>> Wrong.  That's a definition of the STANDARD LIBRARY.
>>
>> Standard C does not define *ANY* functions.
>
>The compiler does not define any functions, they are all part of the
>libraries. However in the ISO definition of the C language, the libraries
>are part of the language.

And because the library is part of the language the compiler can
effectively generate inline code for certain library function calls.
gcc actually does this.

>>> Well, this subthread *is* about PI's presence in C headers. And, it
>>> turns out, an implementation that defines a PI macro violates the ISO C
>>> Standard. And since the ISO C Standard and related issues are the topic
>>> of comp.lang.c, this is rather significant.
>>
>> None of which is relevenant to whether or not a *COMPILER* is conformant
>> to standards or not.
>
>For standard C, you need both a conformant C library and a conformant C
>compiler.

The C standard defines the behaviour of the *implementation*.  This
includes compiler, library, headers, linker and the underlying operating
system and hardware.  For an implementation to be conforming, *all* these
components have to be conforming.

Dan

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:42:52 -0500

willem veenhoven wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> > But you *CANNOT* legally make me shut up.
> > And the more you try, the more I will deliberately annoy you.
>
> Right. In that case I suggest to all posters in clc not to respond to
> Mr. K. anymore. He is just another impudent rascal who is already quite
> famous in other groups for his continuous attacks on people who dare to
> disagree with him, as a quick search at deja/google learns.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You misspelled "slander him"

> willem
>
> --
>
> C: whoever disagrees with me :)
>
> B: Aaron K.
>
> A: Pertii L.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My long signature
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:45:15 GMT

Fuck you all
The signature will continue to grow at a rate of 1 user per day from now
on until you all get over it
This is your punishment for dissing me

L: "mooo" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:46:58 -0500

Robert Stankowic wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis schrieb:
> >
> > Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > >
> > > Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >

> [....]
>

> > I am acting within my rights as spelled out in the US Constitution
> > for ANY person on American soil.  *THAT* is American culture.
> >
> > Conversely *WHEN* I am overseas, I abide by local laws.
> >
> > As I am, right now, sitting quite serenely well within the
> > borders of the United States, I will damn well behave accordingly.
> >
> > If you don't like it, you can go fuck yourself.
>
> Man,
> obviously you are too stupid to understand that usenet is an
> _international_ medium.

And your point is?????

> Your stupid posts arrive at _my_ computer in
> _my_ country and I feel offended.

Big fucking deal.

> Please broadcast whatever sh*t you like in any medium local to the
> US, but not international

Call your local Bundeskriminalamt or Osterreich Polizei office and
have them come arrest me at once.

> *plonk*
>
> --
> Robert Stankowic
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> "The regular early morning yell of horror" - Douglas Adams

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.