From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:01:48 -0400

Mark Hall wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > knee-jerk altruism is the road to ruin.
> >
> >  http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632
>
> Oh me. Another delusion paranoid flapping in the wind. And what a gem of
> logic he has lobbed our way. He seems to enjoy hurling coiled and fetid
> rantings of lunacy. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll eat his own head as
> he walks on his breath.
> Check out the link he left us with. Joy to the world.
> If I did own a gun I'd have to swallow it after reading anymore of his
> posts.

Hey, Mark...how about you learn how to use a knife, so that you don't
have any more excuses for hanging around and wasting oxygen.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To all you WinTrolls
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 18:56:39 +0100

>As far as the other Unixes being better than Linux, I would agree...but I
won't
>agree with 'way better'.  I do know of some Unixes that are worse than
Linux
>(I'm thinking of the PC Version of SCO Unix......that was downright painful
for
>me to use, especially trying to make it cooperate with a Solaris machine).

Well that's no surprise as didn't SCO Unix start out as Microsoft Xenix?

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hotmail still runs BSD.
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 18:58:52 +0100

>At this rate, by 2080 they will have achieved the stability
>of the 2.0 Linux Kernel!

Doubt if they will get further than the stability of the 1.0.x kernels by
then assuming they aren't bankrupt well before then.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:04:27 -0400

Lars Träger wrote:

> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > "." wrote:
> > > Contraband laws are either idiotic, or for the purpose of amassing
> > > power.
> >
> > > They are pointless, as merely POSSESSING any thing causes no
> > > harm to anybody....but usually, the list of things which are
> > > banned are those which, if removed, allow certain parties
> > > (politicians) to amass power, or (drug companies) to amass wealth
> > > at the expense of others.
>
> What's bad about amassing wealth at the expense of others?

Amassing wealth AT THE EXPENSE of others is contrary to free-market principles.

In a free market, you amass wealth by AIDING others (mutually beneficial
exchange)...

> Are you a communist?

If you look at every communist country on the face of the earth, the
bottom-line practice is amassing wealth for the party elites at the
expense of the populace

You really ought to learn about how the world actually works before
spouting off your nonsense.

> Lars T.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:06:32 -0400

Lars Träger wrote:

> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Low-IQ correlates with low incomes and unemployment.
>
> So your unemployment is the reason you post so much?

False premise, several counts

Far from it.

Unemployment is definied as the inability to find work.
Whereas I oftentimes post from work.

Now...how one can post from work while supposedly unemployed
is something you're going to have to explain.

> Lars T.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:07:57 -0400

Lars Träger wrote:

> Loren Petrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > NO...it is NOT.
> > > If the child's own parents have no interest in feeding their own
> > > offspring...why should I?
> > > You see...YOUR method means STEALING MY RESOURCES so that they will
> > > be used for the benefit of the progeny of some lowlife scum sucking
> > > welfare whore and her equally contemptable alcoholic "boyfriends"
> >
> >    Given this sort of hateful venom toward welfare recipients, I'm
> > surprised that there have not been lots of firebombings of places where
> > they live.
> >
> >    Even if a lot of them *are* losers, I don't see how they are worth
> > that kind of venom.
>
> Aaron is probably impotent, and hates them because he can't have kids.
           ^^^^^^^^

Translation: Lars is pulling this ad hominem attack out of his ass.

Tell us, Lars...after pulling this vicious lie from your anus, did you
take care to lick it before spewing it all over USENET...

> Which is a good thing.
>
> Lars T.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.4!
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 19:03:19 +0100

>That means, anybody can submit results - the results are NOT audited in
>anyway.

Now read the full details of who submitted the tests on Dell Hardware - Yes
it was Dell themselves and they make a lot of profit selling windows based
servers so why would they fiddle the results to make their windows servers
look poor compared to their Linux servers?

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Sucks
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 19:07:14 +0100

Gardiner Family wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Richard, (or sore dick (dick hurts (hertz)), what planet are you from?
>What education background can you show me to prove your "great"
>analytical skills.   I have used Linux since Redhat 5.2, and yes, it is
>not like windows (and I am not complaining about that!), it is stable,
>reliable and built for those who like to use a UNIX like operating
>system.   I am sick to death of hearing uneducated, suburban white slobs
>crapping on, and on, and on, and on about everything should be completely
>idiot proof (aka Windows).  Before you write a uncomprehensive analysis
>of Linux, get some decent bloody experience (at least 4 years), then come
>back and stand on your soap box.

I agree - It shows why windows needs to be idiot proof ( a lot of users are
idiots).

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:15:18 -0400

Said Mike Byrns <"mike.byrns"@technologist,.com> in
comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
   [...]
>> Except you Mike.  I'm still half convinced you're an astro-turfer.
>
>Thanks Max :-)  That's a compliment coming from you (I think) :-)

No, its not.

>In a way I do get paid to do this stuff.  My knowledge pays my salary.  If people read
>every lie that's pinched from the mouths of the Apple and Linux faithful and there's
>no
>one around to rebutt it, truth or not it might start to sink in.  That's where I come
>in.  I've got the majority of this technical stuff down cold after over a decade of
>work.  I just expose bullshit as bullshit so people are not mislead.

Which is why it isn't a compliment when I call you an astro-turfer.  It
implies that you aren't really doing that at all, but merely spreading
bullshit to mislead people, in support of a criminal monopoly.

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:18:37 -0400

Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
   [...]
>It's as public as the server you connect to, but it just contains one
>group instead of 60,000.

Downstream, dude.  If it doesn't have a downstream, its simply
meaningless in this context.

>It would have quite a few more if it wasn't for
>the fact that it is hardly ever connected and isn't limited to 56kbps.
>The fact that it isn't even accesible half the time doesn't help.
>
>It is still subject to the same laws in question, which are basicly
>NONE! And especially not laws that you make up off the top of your head
>like you do. Such as
><paraphrase>
>"The administrator has no right to selectively delete posts of others
>without automatically becoming recognized (and liable) as the content
>creator for ALL posts, like a newspaper.
></paraphrase>

Those are libel and slander laws, which a common carrier is insulated
against only as long as they remain a common carrier.  This requires
limiting your redaction to 'good faith'.  It would go without saying
that if you are filtering only my messages on some pretense that they
are 'offensive or harassing', you are not acting in good faith.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:21:32 -0400

Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

>> >Your typical response to being proven a liar.
>>
>> My typical response to you, when you pretend to have 'proven me a liar'.
>
>Is that what you call it when your asked to cite an official reference
>to laws and facts you seem to make up off the top of your head.

Yes, because your question implies that there is a single concise law
which explicitly states a simple act which is unlawful, and if one can't
be provided, the activity is lawful.  This is a rather gross fallacy,
since the actions you ask about are neither simple nor singular, but
contextual representations of circumstance that are not directly
relevant to law.

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: The Power of the Future!
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 14:17:14 -0400

"Dolly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Mike Byrns wrote:
> >
> > Dolly wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Only problem is, according to IDC, Windows numbers
> > > are slipping backward... ie: -3%, -15%, -10% (9X/ME,
> > > IIShit, NT/2K) or perhaps the second one was -13%
> > > on iDC and -15% on some web server monitoring
> > > and stats page... and declining.
> >
> > You're going to post a link to back that claim up right?  I'd be
interested to see
> > their sources and methodologies and the sites sampled.  I think it's
funny that
> > with that kind of news to report, none of the media outlets have picked
it up.
> > Sounds like bullshit to me but I'll retract that when that link is
posted.

> Here's one link
>
> http://serverwatch.internet.com/netcraft/200009netcraft.html
>
> IIS had made 34% at one time... check the back links.
> Steadily declining (thank god!!!) Every month a little
> more downhill. I think you can still check Jan 1999
> directly on Netcraft's page...
>
> For the rest, go buy your own idc membership and
> have fun finding it. (ie: the link would do no
> good till then, I dont have membership, it was
> a "co-worker's" in another office, he printed it
> for me, and I have no reason to disbelieve him
> since everything seems to point to it being right
> (like ServerWatch, etc)...)
>
> Dolly

Well Dolly, it's common knowlege that more sites are running on Apache
especially since it seems to be the default offering from most webhosting
services.
I wouldn't correlate that with server quality since you have to go a little
more out of your way to get IIs hosting.  Although - according to the
Netcraft site Dell offers hosting with IIs by default and as such, IIS
hosting leads Apache 2:1. As a hosting customer I prefer Apache myself,
because everything I have is set up to run using perl. But since IIs 5.0 has
hit the market I haven't heard word-one about a security problem and I plan
to convert all my scripts to an asp based environment.

Watch for IIs to make gains. Oh- and MS is now offering free 180 day
evaluations of Advanced Server. I look for that to help out the numbers.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A wierd bit in linux
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:25:48 -0400

2:1 wrote:

> here's a wired one for you all:
>
> My linux box is configured to put up a splash screen on startup, using a
> SVGALib program. Usually, it runs OK, but occasionally, it says its not
> the owner of the current console and can't find a free one. Needless to
> say, it always runs as root.

You have a race condition of some sort.
Write a script to check the ownership of the console, and when it's
appropriate, then run your splash-screeen displayer.

> Any ideas?
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
> binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer
> first general purpose computer (the Z3) and the first   | u98ejr@
> commercial one (Z4).                                    | eng.ox.ac.uk

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 14:40:37 -0400

> Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>    [...]
> >It's as public as the server you connect to, but it just contains one
> >group instead of 60,000.
>
> Downstream, dude.  If it doesn't have a downstream, its simply
> meaningless in this context.
>
> >It would have quite a few more if it wasn't for
> >the fact that it is hardly ever connected and isn't limited to 56kbps.
> >The fact that it isn't even accesible half the time doesn't help.
> >
> >It is still subject to the same laws in question, which are basicly
> >NONE! And especially not laws that you make up off the top of your head
> >like you do. Such as
> ><paraphrase>
> >"The administrator has no right to selectively delete posts of others
> >without automatically becoming recognized (and liable) as the content
> >creator for ALL posts, like a newspaper.
> ></paraphrase>
>
> Those are libel and slander laws, which a common carrier is insulated
> against only as long as they remain a common carrier.  This requires
> limiting your redaction to 'good faith'.  It would go without saying
> that if you are filtering only my messages on some pretense that they
> are 'offensive or harassing', you are not acting in good faith.

It's a public server in the sense that it's open to public anonymous access.
And it's perfectly relevant for the discussiion at hand (whatever that is).
It isn't set up to send posts upstream to any news services, mainly because
there's nothing to send and I don't care to do it! news://news.dynip.com
see. And I have no desire to suck feeds into it because it would be like
trying to empty the ocean with a teaspoon (at 56kbps).

The editing laws are still the same though (non-existent), your dimness.