Linux-Advocacy Digest #523, Volume #27            Fri, 7 Jul 00 19:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Hyman Rosen)
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Hyman Rosen)
  Re: offering escape, Re: Three things not to say to spam victims...
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: OT, Re: offering escape, Re: Three things not to say to spam victims... (Scott
Dorsey)
  Re: Linux lags behind Windows (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: OT, Re: offering escape, Re: Three things not to say to spam victims...
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Linux lags behind Windows (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner? (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Linux lags behind Windows
  Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner? (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: A MacOpinion of Open Source that REALLY HITS THE MARK (John Jensen)
  Re: Linux is just plain awful (sandrews)
  Re: Linux is just plain awful (sandrews)
  Re: Running Linsux on a Compaq?  Good luck!!! (Bracy)
  Re: VM Ware looks cool. (sandrews)
  Re: OT, Re: offering escape, Re: Three things not to say to spam  (Aaron Kulkis)

From: Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: 07 Jul 2000 18:08:15 -0400

John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Your statement begs the issue of free software.  You continue
> to describe what you think but don't define it.  Since software,
> by default, isn't free, it is your job to prove it.
>
> I claim that the lie about being free is only deceptive.

Here is a list of what you are allowed to do with GPLed code.
I claim that this list is expansive enough so that calling
GPLed code free is justified. Aside from enumerating these
reasons, I don't understand what you mean by "proving" that
it's free. There is no axiom system underlying language that
allows such a proof.

If a program is covered by the GPL and has been distributed to you,
you may make copies of the program and redistribute them at will,
without any special permission.

If a program is covered by the GPL and has been distributed to you,
you may obtain the source code to the entire program for no more
than a nominal distribution fee.

You may modify the source code of the program at will.

If you do not intend to redistribute the results, you may combine the
program with code acquired from other sources at will, without any
restriction from the GPL.

You may redistribute a modified version of the program licensed
as a whole under the GPL.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 22:07:13 GMT

On 07 Jul 2000 17:51:00 -0400, Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Hyman Rosen wrote:
>> > Of course this is a lie. The point of the GPL is to encourage
>> > the development of free software.
>> >
>> That statement isn't consistant with the result, since the GPL
>> isn't free.

        GPL is free for the people it is meant to be free, the masses.
        That is a more important compelling interest than ensuring the
        interests of would be plantation masters or perpetrators of
        Jim Crow.

>Yes it is. In any case, the GPL certainly encourages the development
>of more GPLed software.

        Although, with a reasonably competent engineer it doesn't
        require it. Plus there is the LGPL for code that is more
        directly intended to be reused as a component.

        While some are whining that the L/GPL isn't really free,
        actual captains of industry are exploiting it to their
        benefit without the need to either expose their own work
        or create new competitive barriers.

--

        It only takes a little bit of bad luck to negate the whole benefit
        of "runs everything" for a particualar end user.

------------------------------

From: Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 07 Jul 2000 18:09:29 -0400

John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> More accurately, and honestly:
>       No, it is free with unnecessary and rather rude restrictions,
>       as so many other things are when they are lied about :-).
>
> If you are honest, then we can really talk.  I don't think that we
> have a basis to talk.

The restrictions are necessary because the GPL has the goal of promoting

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Subject: Re: offering escape, Re: Three things not to say to spam victims...
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 22:04:02 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Ron Ritzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not completely unfamiliar with nix. I broke my net teeth on
> shell accounts so I know my way around a command line. However, I
> found out that running nix on your own PC is a completely
> different thing from having a shell account on somebody elses
> box. I played around with Winlinux which simplified a lot of the
> setup issues that surround more traditional distros and even then
> I was amazed as to the hoops that one had to jump through just to
> do simple things such as getting the sound card working. Windows
> plug n pray had spoiled me.

<rant>
My experience with windoze has been that the things that I do awkwardly
with OS/2 I can't do at all with 'doze. My home machine has a Linux
system cohabitting with the OS/2 systems; it does not and will not have
'doze on it. I get enough m$ tsuris at work. Tell me again how user
friendly 'doze is; I forget every time that I have to use it :-(
</rant>

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

"A BIND is a terrible thing to waste"

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Dorsey)
Crossposted-To: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Date: 7 Jul 2000 22:14:48 GMT

Cameron L. Spitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>It's awful, and Red Hat and Corel are not helping by claiming
>otherwise.
>Linux is still half-baked for the non-technical desktop.
>Sound card installation support, X Window System configuration,
>and security are all still in a state which would not pass
>any respectable software quality assurance organization.
>The documentation is disorganized and contradictory.
>I've been very careful, in evangelizing, not to mislead.

The real problem is the documentation.  I run a lot of unix boxes, and
some of them (like some old Ultrix machines) just come with old xerox
copies of the Devil Books.  But even that is very preferable to the Linux
documentation.

Red Hat provides a lot of ingenious system configuration utilities that
prevent you from having to edit configuration files by hand.  However, they
often break, and when they do, the documentation doesn't always tell you
what files they were tampering with and how to do things by hand.

The clumsy X configuration can be lived with, the sound card support
can be lived with, and pretty much all of the technical problems with
the system can be dealt with, IF there is proper documentation to tell
how to do so.  And in a lot cases with Linux, there is not, or it's
difficult to find, or it's just plain incorrect.

I think some of that is due to the rapid update cycle, and I think when
things stabilize that they'll get better.  But some of it is just due to
the fact that people like to write code and not documentation for it.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra.  C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux lags behind Windows
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:24:00 -0400

Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> Pete Goodwin wrote:
> >
> > bobh{at}haucks{dot}org (Bob Hauck) wrote in
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> > >The real answer is that drivers are written to make the hardware
> > >usable.  Operating systems with larger market share get drivers first,
> > >because the hardware company wants to get the most sales possible.  As
> > >Linux increases market share, driver support will improve (has been
> > >improving) because having Linux support will add additional incremental
> > >sales of the hardware.  This is already evident in the server market,
> > >where all sorts of high-end scsi and nic products are well supported.
> >
> > Thank you. You accept the statement "Linux lags behind Windows".
> >
> > --
> > ------------
> > Pete Goodwin
>
> Pete, please state this as "Linux lags behind Windows in desktop
> hardware support."  I know you like the semantics games and stating
> context, but this is a situation where it isn't exactly clear.  Linux
> doesn't lag in all areas, and the specific area you are talking about is
> typical desktop hardware.  You aren't talking about mainframes or other
> areas where in fact Windows is lagging, you are talking about desktop
> hardware.

No.  He's talking about GAME-MACHINE hardware.

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Nathaniel Jay Lee

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 22:21:57 GMT

On 7 Jul 2000 22:14:48 GMT, Scott Dorsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Cameron L. Spitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>It's awful, and Red Hat and Corel are not helping by claiming
>>otherwise.
>>Linux is still half-baked for the non-technical desktop.
>>Sound card installation support, X Window System configuration,

        My sound cards have all installed in Linux pretty much the
        same way they would in the MarketLeaderOS. I can say the
        same of the various video cards I've used under Xfree since
        1995 including ISA, VL, PCI and AGP cards from Cirrus Logic,
        Realtek, S3, Intel and 3dfx.

>>and security are all still in a state which would not pass

        2 words: Back Orifice.

[deletia]

        Linux may be no VMS, but then again neither are any of the
        commonly used operating systems.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where did all my windows go?
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:28:44 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) writes:
>
> >I've seen results posted by Spec where the machines weren't exactly the
> >same (whoops!) and Linux runs faster than Windows.
>
> Would you be referring to the recent SpecWEB results? In that case, you'll
> have to explain how using *fewer* disks in a *software rather than hardware*
> RAID setup gave linux an unfair advantage....

Yeah.. Imagine if the Linux box had been blessed with the same
number of disks as the LoseDOS box, AND given a hardware RAID
controller.

Something tells me... M$ tried that...and the results were too
embarassing to let out...

ha HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

> I personally have a problem with those results due to the availability figures
> for the software involved. It's the same problem I had with MS's TPC-C
> results from the start of the year. Wasn't that stuff supposed to be available
> pretty much NOW? Where is it?
>
> Bernie
>
> --
> Older man declare war. But it is youth who must fight and die
> Herbert Hoover
> US President 1929-33
> At the Republican National Convention, 27 June 1944

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:30:29 -0400

Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> Pete Goodwin wrote:
> > X amount of devices supported by Linux, Y supported by Windows.
> >
> > Y > X, therefore Linux lags behind Windows.
> >
> > Pete
>
> You keep saying Linux lags behind Windows, but you are really arguing
> that Linux hardware support for common desktop hardware lags behind

common GAME HARDWARE.

Most business don't give a shit about 3-D video cards.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner?
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:32:46 -0400

"Paul E. Larson" wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:

> >> Why do we get afflicted with dweebs who can't spell?
> >
> >Because people who CAN spell don't like Microsloth.
> >
> So using the above line as a test. You must like Microsoft!

What part of my statement do you not understand?

> Paul

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 22:30:14 GMT

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:24:00 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
>>
>> Pete Goodwin wrote:
>> >
>> > bobh{at}haucks{dot}org (Bob Hauck) wrote in
>> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
[deletia]
>> > Thank you. You accept the statement "Linux lags behind Windows".
>> >
>> > --
>> > ------------
>> > Pete Goodwin
>>
>> Pete, please state this as "Linux lags behind Windows in desktop
>> hardware support."  I know you like the semantics games and stating
>> context, but this is a situation where it isn't exactly clear.  Linux
>> doesn't lag in all areas, and the specific area you are talking about is
>> typical desktop hardware.  You aren't talking about mainframes or other
>> areas where in fact Windows is lagging, you are talking about desktop
>> hardware.
>
>No.  He's talking about GAME-MACHINE hardware.

        Even then, his comments are more spin and rhetoric than a
        reflection of reality. THE game-machine hardware is officially
        supported under Linux and has quite respectable performance.

        Even the particular bit of hardware he's using to hark on is
        no worse supported under Linux right now than it is under the
        entirety of Windows.

        He's wrong coming and going...

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:35:39 -0400

"Paul E. Larson" wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan
>Rebbechi) wrote:

> >>So using the above line as a test. You must like Microsoft!
> >
> >You've applied the converse, not the above line. Nice try (-;
> >
> Unless you know a corporation with the name Microsloth, it is a misspelling
> even if it is "supposed" to be derogatory.

I *CAN* spell Microsoft... but Microsloth is more accurate.

> Paul
>
> --
> http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=67063&a=635208 - 1999 Hancock Airshow
>
> http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=67063&a=2618171 - National Warplane
>Museum

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: John Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: A MacOpinion of Open Source that REALLY HITS THE MARK
Date: 7 Jul 2000 22:35:38 GMT

Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: Let me tell you, this guy Lewis has written a fantastic article that really
: really hits the mark. He tells it like it is and manages to say it concisely
: and without insulting anyone. He says all the things I wish I could say in a
: newsgroup posting without being interrupted by zealots and fanatics with
: their spue. I loved reading this and I hope you do too:

: http://www.macopinion.com/columns/macskeptic/00/07/07/index.html

This article contains some truth, and IMO misses some.  Anybody with time
on Mac and Linux might try to balance the strengths of each.  The balance
varies with the values of the observer.

For another take, "Misadventures of a Linux Newbie from the Mac World":

  http://www.linuxnewbie.org/articles/macnewbie.html

John

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:32:37 -0400
From: sandrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is just plain awful

>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Jokes on you dude. It ain't me..
>
> Come on now Willy Wong there's no need to be shy. Just exactly
> what is wong with your willy? Of course, that's why you call yourself
> Heather! :-)

Oh My that was cruel NOT!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:35:43 -0400
From: sandrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Perry Pip wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 01:39:47 GMT,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >Jokes on you dude. It ain't me..
> >

> Yes it is. The wording too perfectly matches your heather69 posts. And
> you have another post today using [EMAIL PROTECTED], posted
> with your same version of agent - 1.8/32.548 , from the same dialup
> ISP - NewYork2.Level3.net, also using a prod.itd.earthlink.net news server
> exactly as your post here. You really are very terrible at hiding the
> connections between your different identities.

Hey that would be simple.simon7777 to you sir (straighten up would you)
:^].

------------------------------

From: Bracy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Running Linsux on a Compaq?  Good luck!!!
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 22:40:29 GMT

Jerry Pournelle has written about his mishaps with Windows
in Byte Magazine for a far longer period of time.

Bracy

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:41:57 -0400
From: sandrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VM Ware looks cool.

Laura Goodwin wrote:

> "Ferdinand V. Mendoza" wrote:
> >
> > Don't equate Laura with your poor mentality. She doesn't want
> > to do reboots just to use Winblows. Period.
>
> Well, that's correct, but there's a bit more to it.  I'd love to be able
> to run OSs side by side and compare them for various things.  I have to
> learn Linux first though.

        What would you like to know???

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Subject: Re: OT, Re: offering escape, Re: Three things not to say to spam
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:49:51 -0400

"Cameron L. Spitzer" wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ron Ritzman wrote:
> >On 7 Jul 2000 06:19:40 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L.
> >Spitzer) wrote:
> >
> >>Posed that way, it's not "Nyah, nyah, my OS is better than yours"
> >>any more, it's "welcome to my community, enter when you're ready,
> >>the door is open for you."  It's pure empowerment, not a put down.
> >
> >I was amazed as to the hoops that one had to jump through just to
> >do simple things such as getting the sound card working. Windows
> >plug n pray had spoiled me.
>
> It's awful, and Red Hat and Corel are not helping by claiming
> otherwise.
> Linux is still half-baked for the non-technical desktop.
> Sound card installation support, X Window System configuration,
> and security are all still in a state which would not pass
> any respectable software quality assurance organization.
> The documentation is disorganized and contradictory.
> I've been very careful, in evangelizing, not to mislead.
>
> >Another thing I found out was that all of the newest and sexiest
> >services and applications are written for Windows first. (and
> >sometimes Windows only) Want to make a call using dialpad.com?
> >Sorry, Windows only. Want to listen to a stream encoded with the
> >most recent release of Real Audio? You have to wait a year for
> >the Linux version to get to that release.
>
> I was most amazed that Linux caught on in corporate MIS departments
> before it did in the electronic CAD market.  Companies who really
> ought to know better, including Xilinx, Altera, and Cadence,
> develop on Microsoft and port, badly, to the other platforms.
> Pointy-haired Dilbert bosses rule that market, and their stupidity
> is contagious.

Maybe because the packages for *SERIOUS* CAD work are PDGS, I-DEAS,
UniGraphics and CATIA, all of which run on Unix, and the users are
already used to paying $30,000 for a Sun or HP-UX workstation.

> >Why is it that Netscape can develop its browsers for Windows,
> >Mac, and nix concurrently but nobody else can?
>
> Netscape develops on IRIX, last I heard, and then ports it to the others.
> But even Netscape's Linux support is poor.  Their Java runtime is pretty
> much unusable, they ignore (apparently) libc's resolver in favor of
> their own broken "DNS Helper," and they don't use the X color map
> reasonably.
>
> I use Linux because it's trustworthy, not because of latest and gratingest
> techno whiz bang features.

Exactly.

> Cameron

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.