Linux-Advocacy Digest #523, Volume #33           Wed, 11 Apr 01 20:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis (Donn Miller)
  Re: Baseball (Anonymous)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("billh")
  Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message (".")
  Re: make config ("spicerun")
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft (Donn Miller)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft (Donn Miller)
  Re: Baseball (Jim Ledford)
  Re: Article:  Windows XP won't support USB 2.0 (Dave Martel)
  Re: So much for modules in Linux! (Tim Kelley)
  Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  New directions for kernel development  (Linus Torvalds)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor (Dave Martel)
  Re: What Linux console? (Dave Martel)
  Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor (Hansang Bae)
  Re: What Linux console? (Nigel Feltham)
  Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message (Anonymous)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:37:56 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2001 21:43:47 GMT, Peter da Silva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Even gates admits that the original MS BASIC interpreters came
> >> from the BASIC interpreter for the PDP-11 which just happened to
> >> be on the surplus tapes he purchased from them.
> >
> >I think we would all be interested in your providing a reference for this.
> >

> Me too.  According to an extensive interview with Bill Gates for the Smithsonian
> Institute that I just read:
>
>         http://americanhistory.si.edu/csr/comphist/gates.htm#tc20
>
> Bill Gates and Paul Allen did it all.

Considering that they're both a lying sacks of shit, caught red-handed
committing perjury in Federal Court....let's just say that i don't
trust a word they say.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:54:03 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Camoflauge!

I guess the "organization" line is really camoflauge also.  See, you
cleverly made it look like you're a consultant, when really, you're in
your mother's basement.

> > OUTED!  LOL!
>
> In your dreams.

LOL, we couldn't be THAT lucky.

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:07:20 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Baseball
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett) wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:56:07 -0600, Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >aaron wrote:

>once?

> >> Gnome
> >> KDE
> >> Common Desktop Environment
> >> SunWindows (obsolete, but STILL easier to use than Mafia$oft windows).
> >
> >the fact you list more than one is itself part of the problem
> >if you catch my meaning.
> >                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman
> >

> No way.  It's what makes computing so much fun.

for most people computing is something they endure to get things done.

> Or would you have everyone
> driving EXACTLY that same crappy car (or bike) just to make things easier.

actually most bikes and cars have more in common than not. i've yet to
get in a car and be thwarted by an inability to locate the steering wheel,
gas pedal or brake.
though i'll admit they haven't quite worked out where to put the bloody
wiper control.

> Or would you have everyone
> driving EXACTLY that same crappy car (or bike) just to make things easier.

has it ever occurred to you that it is microsoft's competitors who went
to the jackbooted thugs to destroy by force that which they could not
outcompete not the other way around?
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:09:03 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis"

> Tell us again your fairy tale about how the Germans, Japanese,
> North Koreans, Chinese, Viet Cong, and North Vietnamese never
> shot at red-cross emblazoned American medical personnel.

Yawn.

------------------------------

From: "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:15:52 +1200

> > What systems came with this?  It's funny, but I can't get it on 98 (no
help
> > command...  I might check the oldmsdos directory...)
>
> I just made it up a typical statement that illustrates the utter
> uselessness of Mafia$oft's Windows help.
>
> The fact that you thought it was genuine proves my point about
> the utter lack of information in Windows Help.

Unfortunately, it just shows that I'm willing to believe it's possible.  The
fact that I couldn't find it prompted me to ask...  shit like this gets
mentioned a lot, but I don't believe it until I've verified it myself.

------------------------------

From: "spicerun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: make config
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:40:48 -0500

In article <9b1nsj$188m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "ja" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> my system redhat7.0
> kernel 2.2.16
>
> I extract pcmcia-cs-3.1.15 at /usr/src/linux make config why can I input
> "/usr/src/linux" as my linux source directory?
>
> configuration failed appear~
>
> why?????????

probably because pcmcia needs to know where to put the modules in the
/lib/modules library.  I assume that /usr/src/linux is only a link to your
real src directory (ex: linux->llinux-2.4.3).  If not, you need to move
your existing linux directory to linux-X where X is the version of the
linux kernel, then set a soft link to linux-X.  Then you can specify the
linux-X directory to pcmcia.

Example:  specifying /usr/src/linux-2.4.3 will have pcmcia install its
modules somewhere in /lib/modules/2.4.3.

Good luck!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:24:58 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Brent R wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean. BASH/CYGWIN is available for Windows, as is
> sed & awk, batch files (ok they do suck but they can do *some* large
> scale things fast), the Windows Scripting Host (although I haven't tried
> this one out) and some limited DOS console stuff that can do scripting
> pretty easily.

Ah, yes, but bash/cygwin only give you a momentary respite.  There's
other obstacles, such as the horrible performance of the FAT
filesystem.  Also, doing parallel builds ala make -j don't work with
Windows 9X, because the FAT FS is unable to store both last modified and
last accessed timestamps.  Also, I think gcc/cygwin is a great and very
nifty compiler.  But the Cygwin version of bash sometimes causes make to
hang during long compiles.  So far I have found Cygwin very frustrating
for big projects.  But, yes, it sure is nice to have a command line
under Windows.  I find it more convenient to issue "df" at the Cygwin
command line than to fire up Windows Explorer to see how much disk space
I've got left.

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:26:41 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Brent R wrote:

> Exactly, I wanted to like Linux better than Windows so much but
> apparently MS is the only company that can write a decent browser.

What about KDE 2.1's Konqueror?  Decent, but doesn't work with all
sites.

From: Jim Ledford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:34:01 -0400

tokeman wrote:

> Chad Everett wrote:

> > Or would you have everyone
> > driving EXACTLY that same crappy car (or bike) just to make things easier.
>
> actually most bikes and cars have more in common than not. i've yet to
> get in a car and be thwarted by an inability to locate the steering wheel,
> gas pedal or brake.
> though i'll admit they haven't quite worked out where to put the bloody
> wiper control.

they hide them close to the light switch.

> > Or would you have everyone
> > driving EXACTLY that same crappy car (or bike) just to make things easier.
>
> has it ever occurred to you that it is microsoft's competitors who went
> to the jackbooted thugs to destroy by force that which they could not
> outcompete not the other way around?
>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman

kind of sort-a like waco with no fire show.

Jim Ledford

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Article:  Windows XP won't support USB 2.0
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:26:16 -0600

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:28:36 -0500, "Erik Funkenbusch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> Microsoft says it's a quality issue, which is nonsense (what -
>> Microsoft, concerned with quality? <g>). A Register article a few
>> weeks ago asserted that MS's real reason is that USB doesn't offer a
>> content-control mechanism, and 1394 does.
>
>What BS.  Because you don't percieve that MS isn't concerned about quality,
>they can't possibly be really concerned about it?

Exactly.

>MS will support USB 2 when motherboards and devices that support USB 2 are
>shipping.  They can't possibly test their systems with a USB 2.0 driver
>today because final systems will probably be different.

Excuses, excuses...

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:37:19 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Ridiculous! The modules load just fine. Unfortunately if DHCP is loaded
> first, then they don't. This is a documented _feature_ of SuSE 7.1

The boot process loads kernel modules before any daemons start up ... well
I don't know how SuSE does things but that is sorta silly.

Windows is definitey not free of things like this, on our network at work
the novell netware client loads before some services it depends on, causing
it not error out unless you wait a few seconds to log in.

--
Tim Kelley

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:46:01 -0500

> > Yer right - look at that. Proof from a linvocate - sorry, that caught me
off
> > guard.
> >
> > big deal - you don't really consider those commands significant to the
rest
> > of W2K do you?
>
> FTP isn't significant?

Few people use the command line program.  Either they use IE, which uses
WinInet (not the FTP command) or they use a program like WS_FTP or CuteFTP.
None of which use the FTP command.

> Clue for the clueless--that's the protocol used for pushing all
> the files every time you browse a web page.

Looks like you're the clueless one.  Web pages use HTTP for file transfers
(you know, downloading images, or Java code, or whatever).  Not FTP, and
even when a page links to an FTP site, Neither IE or Netscape make use of
the FTP command.

> rcp... remote copy.  similar needs

Never used by 99.999% of users.

> rsh... remote command execution... foundation-level tool used in web
interactions.

Same as rcp. RSH is *NEVER* used in web interactions.  Ever.

> nslookup... very important..that's how you translate symbolic hostnames
> (like www.google.com) into numeric IP addresses

No, nslookup is not used by any application to do this.  It is only useful
for a user to look up an IP address themselves.  Something few people ever
do.

------------------------------

From: Linus Torvalds <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: New directions for kernel development
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:49:58 -0700

Hi all,

        Recently, I've been thinking a lot about where Linux development should
head now that 2.4 is out. Specifically, I've been thinking about how we
ought to make some cultural changes as well as technical changes. Now I'm
not *entirely* sure what directions we should head in as we move towards
3.0, but I'd like to point out a few areas that need to be addressed as well
as propose some possible solutions. Nothing is set in stone yet, but these
are definitely issues we need to work on.

        First off, I don't like a lot of the elitism that does on among Linux
hackers. Just because you can tell what the following script does without
executing it, doesn't mean that you're some kind of god.

#! /usr/bin/perl
@k = unpack "a"x5,'x_,d@';@o = unpack "a"x19,'Q8>tUxLm\@`Y%N@cIq]';
while ($i<19){print chr((ord($o[$i])-ord($k[$i++%5])+91)%91+32);}

        Learning to hack Un*x is an impressive accomplishment, but it's closer
kin
to solving a Rubik’s cube than scaling Everest. If you think using Un*x
makes you some kind of super genius who should be feared by mere mortals and
end users, either get over it or start using *BSD. *BSD users (and
developers) are all complete jackasses, so you'll fit right in.

        Secondly, I'd like to address the issue of cleanliness. Quite frankly,
the
standards of personal hygiene practiced by many members of this community
are simply unacceptable. As you all know, I am a fairly clean cut,
well-kempt person (I know, I have a bit of a gut, but compared to Maddog,
Nick Petreley or ESR, I'm a modern Adonis.), and in the Linux community that
is something of an anomaly. Virtually all users of Linux (and all other
forms of Un*x) are unkempt, longhaired, beast-bearded dirty GNU hippies, and
I am sick and tired of having to deal with them.

        The person I have the greatest problem with is that (in)famous
communist
RMS. Now, RMS may have been responsible for GNU, the GPL, GCC and many
other contributions to the computing community, but his stance, as well as
stench, displayed in his essays and actions, nauseates me. I mean, with
that filth-ridden beard of his, where does he have room to demand that
people refer to Linux as GNU / Linux? When he is as clean-shaven as I, he
may claim that right, but until then, he should go back to playing his
little flute and dropping acid like there’s no tomorrow. Honestly, if he
doesn’t shut his mouth and go back to reading Marx, I’m going to shut it for
him. I am sorry to sound so harsh, but a little hygiene every once in a
while is a Good Thing(TM). Makes me wish I'd gone with a closed source
license back in the day.

worst thorn in my side, is Alan Cox, the primary coder of my kernel's TCP/IP
stack (ha, what a joke!) and all around dirty GNU hippy. Alan views
toothpaste the same way a vampire views garlic. The man's wife (who I spent
a few years with at the University of Helsinki) often calls me crying in the
middle of the night to complain of the rank, unbearable stench the man
exudes after sex. On several occasions at trade shows, exhibitions and beer
bashes, I have nearly fainted from the torrent of rotten odor that pours
from every inch of his toxic person. Along with the typical GNU hygiene
(mis)habits he practices, he also bitches and whines about... well,
everything. He lies a lot too; evidence for this can be seen in the fact he
almost always wears cheap black sunglasses when talking to people he knows
are better than him (such as myself).

        And then we come to ESR. I won't reiterate the sewer-dweller like
cleansing
habits he practices as well, but I would like to focus on his general
lifestyle. I like to refer to ESR as AGB or “Arrogant Gas Baron.” The man’
s flatulence is legendary. I honestly believe that given a meal of refried
beans and a match, he could reach low earth orbit. If you have to meet with
ESR for any reason, arrange for the meeting to be outdoors and try to stay
upwind. And his flatulence isn’t limited to his posterior either.
Frequently it comes out his mouth or even out of his keyboard. (Those of
you who have read “The Cathedral and the Bazaar” or “Meditations of Sudden
Wealth” will know exactly what I’m talking about here.) Additionally, he
is a complete hillbilly. You know, the kind that goes to inner-city
computer stores and buys 386s to set up as servers all over his house, with
cigarette smoke-stained 14" monitors piled high upon his kitchen table. He
has neither grace nor charm and can't last 15 seconds in conversation with
educated company without drifting into a tirade on gun rights or the best
methods for tanning road kill. Couple the above facts with his ruddy
complexion (from drinking Jagermeister like it’s water) and his
child-molester mustache and you’ve got the makings of one more person who
pisses me off.

Well, that's it for now. Hopefully with these feelings off my chest and into
the Open Source community, things will change for the better. I'd like just
once to talk to a Linux user or advocate who washes and changes their
clothes at least weekly. Until then, I will be rejecting patches from anyone
whose grooming standards do not measure up.

Also, I have submitted this to slashdot with the title "A Proposed Remedy
Involving Lingering Fud and Organizational Objections to Linux Systems." Be
on the lookout for it.

Thank you,
--Linus Torvalds

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:50:42 -0500

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message > Java and
C++ are very similar languages.  What you are complaining about
> is the difference between whether the code is compiled into a binary or
> whether it is compiled to "byte-code" and "interpreted" at run time.
> If you compile Java code to machine code executables the way you
> do with your C++ code the preformance issues end up becoming equal.
> It's the JVM you're complaining about, not the language.

Even compiled Java suffers many drawbacks over C++.  For instance, Java's
garbage collection makes any application that frequently allocates and
deletes objects much less efficient than C++ which allows much better
handling of memory.

> >People buy MS products because they get something out of it. Ever tried
> >use Borland products ?
>
> Borland makes grep IDEs...much better than MS Visual Studio that's for
darn
> sure.  Borland compilers are much superior to Microsoft's.

Actually, Borland's IDE is quite buggy and error prone.  It lacks key
useability features.  For instance, there is no way to easily manage all the
windows opened up by BCB, and there isn't any way to split code windows to
see two parts of the code at the same time.  The only way to do it is to
open two seperate edit windows.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:51:22 -0500

> > How can you compare PDP-11 assembler to 8080 assembler?
> > The evidence is in seeing the same reserved words that DEC uses in
> > comparison to ANSI basic.  North Star also wrote their basic, but never
> > patterned it after DEC like Gates did.  MS basic then was so close to
> > DECs that its a wonder DEC didn't sue him.
>
> Especially for the CTRL-Z for end of file.
>
> That right there is the smoking gun.

Uhh.. Ctrl-Z is the ASCII definition of EOF.

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:43:01 -0600

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:42:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer)
wrote:

>As for features like syntax highlighting -- sure, gvim
>supports this very well. But say you're editing 20,000-line
>Fortran 77 codes, day after day, month after month. The
>syntax highlighting gets burned into your retina; it
>becomes unbearable. I have to leave it turned off. This
>feature just isn't that useful to me anymore, in any editor.
>Neither are any features having to do with mouseclicks.

Technicolor text drives me nuts. I do like comments in a different
color, but that's my limit.

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Linux console?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:44:56 -0600

On 11 Apr 2001 19:36:30 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
wrote:

>I think Microsoft is insane to get into the console gaming
>market. If SEGA, a company with decades of experience in the
>field cannot do it right, what makes Microsoft think that *they*
>can do it?

They made billions on a useless OS, didn't they?

------------------------------

From: Hansang Bae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:59:39 GMT

In article <2I0B6.81278$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> If vi cost money, I'd buy a license.

I would as well....

> Right. Which is why so many of us prefer vi. When you
> have to sit there editing stuff for hours and hours,
> you eventually get tired of playing chords (Emacs) or
> using a mouse (GUI-based editors like UltraEdit, TextPad).
> You start wishing you just had an editor that would let you
> do things as efficiently as possible, with the least amount
> of carpal-tunnel abuse.

For some things, editing with a rodent can actually save some time.

> As for features like syntax highlighting -- sure, gvim
> supports this very well. But say you're editing 20,000-line
> Fortran 77 codes, day after day, month after month. The
> syntax highlighting gets burned into your retina; it
> becomes unbearable. I have to leave it turned off. This

I too find syntax highlighting very intrusive.  Never got used to it
since (when I use to write programs) green or amber was the only option.

> It's not an ideological issue. People like vi because
> it's a great editor. Who the hell wants to edit text
> with a GUI editor? It's plain nuts. Think about it.
> It's like using a GUI to drive your car.

vi is like Reverse Polish Notation.  It has a steeper learning curve but
once you learn it, there's no going back.  I was a die-hard user of EDT
(funny, no one has mentioned it yet).  I was a PFx hitting fool!!  My
Procomm 2.4.2 was programmed with all my favorite PF combos.  Until I saw
my prof edit my program with 'vi'.  I kept asking, "hey, how'd you do
that so fast???"

I took my first HP41CV back to the store because (said I) RPN SUCKS!! AND
WHERE THE HELL's THE ENTER KEY!!!!

Then I sat there as my classmates breezed through problem after problem
while I was stuck in the (((())))) world.  Went back, learned RPN and
NEVER looked back.

I've been using vi for quite a while and my .exrc is not even that
complicated.  It centers, it has block cuts, it replaces hard tabs with
spaces and a few other creature comforts.

Sometimes I use UltraEdit because it's right for the job.  Sometimes I
use "DOS EDIT" because it's right for the job.  But mostly, I love my vi

:ZZ

--
"Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding"  Calvin
reply to emails sent to my account.  Please post a followup instead.

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 01:14:10 +0100

> Microsoft has one advantage that Sega didn't.  It will be a breeze for
> developers to port between the X-Box and Windows (and vice versa).  This
> will be very attractive to many game makers, since they can kill two birds
> with one stone.

Doesn't the Dreamcast run WinCE then as often reported?

Don't forget that if you buy an X-Box you don't need to run windows on it -
I am sure someone will produce an X-box Linux distro, why waste money
designing your own hardware when you can just port your OS to someone
else's hardware (just like MS have been doing for years).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:01:39 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

aaron wrote:
> "." wrote:
> >
> > > Clue for the clueless:
> > >
> > > Help defrag
> > >
> > > "Defrag defrags your hard drive.  Run defrag to defragment your hard
> > drive"
> >
> > What systems came with this?  It's funny, but I can't get it on 98 (no help
> > command...  I might check the oldmsdos directory...)
>

> I just made it up

nofurtherquestionsyeronner