From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To Pete Goodwin: How Linux saved my lunch today!
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:51:46 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Bravo!  Bravo!
>
> One other thing I sometimes suggest to these kinds of people is: "If you
> have discovered that Linux is lacking ----- which you really think it needs,
> why don't you develop it.  If don't know how to program, then becoe the
> project coordinater and locate others that agree with you and together
> develop it."  If they come back with something like, "Why should I do that?
> I don't with Windows!"  I counter along the line of "if every one had that
> attitude, Linux would not even exist."

This is one point that I would disagree a little with.  I appreciate
that there are people out there that can dedicate time to programming
for nothing ( a labor of love).  And I appreciate that for some people
this is even fun, exciting and something extremely worthwhile.  But,
there are times when you just want to get something done.  During those
times, you want to get on with the project you have in mind.  You don't
want to dedicate three or four years to a sub-project to just get
started on what you wanted to do in the first place.  This is one of the
reasons I still have a Windows box at all.  The one area I find Linux
lacking is in multi-track recording software (yes, I know there are a
few projects out there working on this).  I have yet to find something
comparable to Cakewalk (which is what I use).  So, instead of dedicating
however many years of my life to a project to make such sotware (and the
number of years it would take to get myself familiar with audio software
creating in general), I use what I already know works for me.  I'm not
happy about it, as I don't much enjoy using Windows, but I have a
totally dedicated machine for it and all of the recordings are done on
network drives which are actually Linux Samba shares so I won't lose my
work (happened to me once back in the day).

I realize this pisses off a few of the more rabid Linux people.  But
when I have a song coursing through my head I really can't stop, set it
aside, write software for a few years, and then try to pull that idea
back up.  It just doesn't work.  Sometimes you need to get it down.
While I refuse to use MS software unless it is absolutely necissary, I
use it in that one instance.  Hopefully I can find some Mac software to
do this with soon.  I'm seriously considering purchasing a Mac sometime
after OS X is out and audio multi-tracking sounds like it would be right
in the domain of a Mac machine.  For anything else, Linux suites my
needs, but in this one little area I've thus far been disappointed.  I
realize this isn't a popular view in the Linux community.  Many times
when I first started using Linux the response to "how do I do this" was
often "write the program yourself".  I can code a bit, but it's not my
strong suite (yet).  I could coordinate a project, but I'm not a good
manager (and even if I was I wouldn't have the time).  So, for some of
us, your option isn't a valid one.

Just my opinion.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:53:24 -0400

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Proof that David James was correct when he said that all
> > of the intelligent people have left the UK.
>
> Still practicing your peppergun style of posting I see.
>
> So I made a mistake. I thought we were talking about desktops (KDE et
> al), when the conversation switched to virtual desktops.

Still doing nothing to display any signs to contradict the assessment
that you are, in fact, a complete moron, I see.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:54:34 -0400

Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> Darren Winsper wrote:

> > > damn, you're dense.
> >
> > Neutron stars have nothing on Tim.
> >

> How about a black hole?  You know, Timmy kind of sucks down anything of
> any substance in the surrounding area, just like a black hole.  Hmm, I
> may be on to something (or on something)....

Information goes in, but nothing comes out..

And anything that comes in the vacinity suffers from severe redshift.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: A cute linux song
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:55:59 -0400

Gary Hallock wrote:

> Tim Palmer wrote:
>
> NOTHING 13 times
>
> I suppose this is Tim Palmers lame attempt at a DoS attack.
>
> Gary

I wonder how many times he re-typed it!

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:56:57 -0400

Tore Lund wrote:

> Tim Palmer wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:22:13 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >rich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> [snip]
>
> Pssst...  Your SEND button is stuck.  I received this thing 11 times.

Nah... you ever see someone wiht Alzheimers...they keep repeating the
same things over and over, because they forget that they've already
told you the same idiotic thing 30 times last week and 10 times today?

> All the best,
> --
> Tore Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.sad-people.microsoft.lovers,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Linux is blamed for users trolling-wish.
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:00:24 -0400

Quoting Nathaniel Jay Lee from alt.destroy.microsoft; Thu, 13 Jul 2000
   [...]
>I guess the conceptual glitch in my head doesn't apply to Unix like OSes
>because at my current job (in the aforementioned Wood Working company) I
>run all Unix systems and don't have near the trouble that I had with
>Windows.

Bingo.  You're catching on.

Unix systems might appear to not do what we expect sometimes, but they
do not act (apparently) non-deterministically, and I must assume (sorry)
that it is because it is a solid design for an OS, which I don't believe
Windows is.  Unix does not crash *randomly*.  Windows does, apparently.

Now do you see why I've been saying that I wasn't criticizing you for
"defending Windows", but rather for your assumption that someone else
must be to blame (since you knew you weren't, and assumed that
competence could prevent crashes) when you stated, without even a hint
of reservation, that competent admin, users, and networks will
statistically decrease the number of Windows crashes?  More important,
do you understand why you didn't believe me when I said that?

Is it insane to think that Windows crashes are Windows fault, even if
they can be traced in retrospect to incompetent admin, network, or user?
The first two, I might be able to accept.  But that last one is too much
for me; I start asking questions.  And the answers don't seem to make
sense.

In any one case, you have a crash, and you may be able to prevent it
from happening again through administration.  But I've noticed that to
most people these days "proper administration" and "competent end-user"
equates to "knows how to avoid doing the things that make Windows tend
to crash", when the fact is that Windows isn't supposed to tend to crash
to begin with, any more than any other computer system.  All too often,
everybody ends up just waving dead chickens, proud of their voodoo power
to keep Windows from crashing.  Most of the trick to a successful
Windows experience is pure blind luck, as far as I can see.

And that is as much a problem of troubleshooting and system management
technique as it is crappy software, because a lot of people should have
picked up on this a lot sooner.  (Some might argue that many did, which
is why "reboot/reinstall" is the primary technique for dealing with
problematic Windows installations.)

Manager of Research & Educational Services
Managed Services
[A corporation which does not wish to be identified]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
   my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
    applicable licensing agreement]-

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Certifications on the internet by Brainbench?
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:59:08 -0400

"Paul E. Larson" wrote:

> In article <8kfe72$mgu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mmm007" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >A friend of mine just took the Linux Administrator certification exam by
> >Brainbench.  She said it was really hard.  have any of your taken these
> >exams?  What do you think of them?  I'd rather not take it unless it is
> >worthwhile.
> >

> Do they look nice on your resume, doubtful at this time.
>
> Are they a way of checking your skills? I would say probably, if taken without
> the use of suplimentary material(ie. only using your mind). I have three of
> the certificates if you want to know.

I'll admit I looked up a man page for one question..

> They maybe a way of checking your knowledge if you are going for the more
> recognized certificates.
>
> Paul
>
> --
>
> "Mr. Rusk you not wearing your tie." -- Frenzy 1972

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:01:49 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have two Brainbench certs.  The fact that someone you know told you it
> was a difficult test does much to validate its worthfulness as an
> accurate assessment of knowledge.
>
> Personally, I dislike certifications.  For one thing, there are too many
> "certification boot camps" attracting way too many rote memorizers.  The
> fact that there are no bootcamps for Brainbench's tests is a big plus
> for Brainbench.
>
> The downside of Brainbench is that their examination procedure is
> unsupervised, so theoretically you could invite all your Linux-savvy
> friends over for a few brewskies and a test, and no one would be the
> wiser when you aced that sucker out.

I think most people in the Unix world tend to have enough pride
in their own accomplishments that they aren't going to aid some
schmuck who refuses to acquire the knowledge for themselves.

I know I wouldn't it.

> I guess it's really no better or no worse than any other certification
> process.  If you want to honestly assess your own skill levels,
> Brainbench is better than most.  If you want to impress the human
> resources department of a future employer, its average.  If you're a
> dishonest scum who cheats his way into qualifying for a position, then
> Brainbench sucks.  Which is no different from the MCSE farce.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:05:02 GMT

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:09:09 -0400, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED] () from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Wed, 12
>>On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:20:00 -0400, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED] () from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Tue, 11
>>>   [...]
>>>Are you willing to consider, Jedi, being what I know to be a very bright
>>>and reasonable person, that the MacOS doesn't do this *wrong*, for its
>>>purposes?  Anyone who has ever been interrupted repetitively in the
>>
>>      Nope.
>
>That's a shame.  I though you would be willing to consider it, but I
>suppose you're too close to the subject.
>
>>      QNX is a great counterexample: genuine realtime OS.
>
>Never heard of it, and don't see what it has to do with desktop clients,
>where a "genuine realtime OS" is generally not necessary or indicated.

        Sure it is. There are plenty of things end users want to do with
        tight time constraints. The obvious example would be multimedia
        file decoding in realtime.

        Thus BeOS, a more 'real' OS that came out of the MacOS user culture.

[deletia]

        All it takes is a situation where an end user (plus the system) want
        to do more than one thing where one or more of those tasks have very
        stringent responsiveness requirements.

--
        Common Standards, Common Ownership.

        The alternative only leads to destructive anti-capitalist
        and anti-democratic monopolies.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:07:03 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Quoting Aaron Kulkis from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Wed, 12 Jul 2000
>    [...]
> >I disagree.  By eliminating pre-emtptive multitasking, you eliminate
> >the ability to do a renderining (CPU-bound) in the background while
> >running netscape (mostly user-input bound, occassionaly network bound).
>
> You don't *eliminate* it.  It gets much slower, potentially much much
> slower.  But that's OK; ITS IN THE BACKGROUND.  I don't *need* it right
> now.  What I *need* is for absolutely nothing on that system to slow
> down the *foreground* netscape from rendering.  And I don't care what

Actually, if you have ANY idle time, the *foreground* rendering and
the *background* printing are BOTH proceeding as quickly as possible.

Very few problems are actually CPU bound.

> bounds it, because I'm not here for the theoretical value.  I need to
> get a job done, and I want the computer to wait for me, not vice versa,
> regardless of the circumstances or what else the computer might be
> programmed to believe is important.
>
> How trivial would it be to configure the scheduler on Linux to give
> whatever window is on top of my display a priority orders of magnitude
> greater than everything else (unless I change it, of course)?  If this
> can be done, I'm going to want to do it.

If you have root access, it's easy.

use the "renice" command to give it a NEGATIVE nice value.

If you don't have root acces, you're stuck.

> And I'm going to expect that all the software is going to continue to
> function without screwing up because they assumed I'd give them a fair
> shot at the CPU.  From there perspective, it should look like they're
> just one of four million other processes that want time, right?  How
> prevalent is it for typical programs to get "choked to death" by lack of
> CPU time?  And how does a Mac manage to run a TCP/IP stack if CMT is so
> bad when it comes to background processes?
>
> Maybe I'm not as done with this topic as I thought...
>
> --
> T. Max Devlin
> Manager of Research & Educational Services
> Managed Services
> [A corporation which does not wish to be identified]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
>    my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
>     applicable licensing agreement]-

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.