From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Windows(tm) is prerequisite for Linux on-line seminar
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 11:18:55 GMT

Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> [...]
> > > or NT" and similary non-sense.  And this was not for some of the Linux
> > > on Windows type of distributions, but for SuSE, Red Hat, Slackware,
> > > etc....
> > >
> > > I believe the entire of idea of any bit of software not requiring
> > > Windows in some form or another is completely foriegn to some people.
> > > And when the see Linux OS on a box, they just assume that means it's
> > > software and all software requires Windows.  Unfortunately, this is the
> > > type of logic that reigns in the world about computers in general.
> > > Windows=computers and computers=Windows.  Some people even have troubles
> > > believing that a Mac doesn't use Windows.  I've heard a few stories of
> > > people being upset when the buy a Windows upgrade and then can't install
> > > it on their iMac.
> > >
> > > Cars require a bit of education to drive, but with a computer, everyone
> > > expects it to be a toaster.  I just don't understand.  (I realize I have
> > > opened myself up to the flammers that proclaim a computer should be a
> > > toaster.  But why, oh why, should something this complicated be
> > > considered on the same level as any kitchen appliance?)
> >
> > [unnamed] customer support: Hello?
> > Cluless Customer: Hello, my computer doesn't work.
> > Support: What doesn't work?
> > Customer: Nothing works.
> > S: What does the screen show
> > C: Nothing, it won't turn on
> > S: Is your system plugged in?
> > C: I don't know
> > S: Can you check to see if the system is plugged in
> > C: OK
> > [fumbling sounds]
> > C: Um, I can't tell, it's too dark
> > S: What's too dark?
> > C: The room, it's too dark.  The power is out.
> > S: OK...here's what you do.  Pack up all of the parts of your
> >         computer in the boxes they came in.
> > C: OK
> > S:..and then, send the entire system back to [us], attention
> >         [some name]
> > C: And you'll send me a new computer?
> > S: No sir, we will send you a refund.
> > C: Why won't you send me a new computer?
> > S: Because you're too stupid to figure out that a computer
> >         doesnt work in the middle of a black out.
> >
> > Reminds me one time when I was at my grandma's house, and the
> > TV went off when the power failed...and she went over to the
> > radio and said, "let's listen to the radio and find out what's
> > happening," forgetting that the radio also relied on wall-socket
> > current.
> >
> > I think that about sums it up.
> >

> How about a web site dedicated to similar stories:
>
> http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid
>
> They have a BUNCH of stupid tech support stories.  Of course, in the
> case I described above it was more about the fact that even the
> "sellers" of software don't have a clue, I think a lot of the stupidity
> can be seen as a result of the same flaw in human nature.  "If I don't
> know it, it must not exist."  Reminds me of some other people I've seen

I just read some of the stories in there. Really funny! :-))

--
     You have changed the signature included in your e-mail.
For these changes to take effect, you must restart your computer!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Advocacy and Programmers...
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 02:41:39 +0200

It was the Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:17:37 GMT...
...and The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I haven't even messed around with tcl yet, but why bother when perl and
> >python are so easy?  Let's not pretend that vb is as multipurpose as
> >perl, even forgetting the fact that perl runs on everything from linux
> >to win32 to solaris to bsd to an os390 mainframe.
>
> TCL's a dog of a language; stick with Perl/TK.  (The only reason
> to use Tcl/TK is the TK part. :-) )

Tcl is quite a nice scripting language, and certainly conceptually
cleaner than Perl. When written by someone who really *understands*
the language, Tcl is great.

> That said... Tcl and Perl are both interpretive languages (note that
> Perl is compiled into an intermediate form).

So is Tcl. If you want to, you can even compile Tcl programs into
bytecode files explicitly, which saves you the compilation overhead at
execution. Great for CGI scripts.

mawa
--
ES REICHT

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: windows annoyances (again)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 08:25:51 -0400

Tim Kelley wrote:

> People complain about setup of linux distros?
>
> Today I was installing NT server, and required ethernet card
> drivers on a separate cd.
>
> After installing the drivers from the cd and placing the NT
> server cd in the drive again when prompted, the OS locked up.
> This happened twice, which was satisfactory for me to decide it
> was a confirmed NT fuck up.
>
> I wound up having to add a second CD rom to the machine to
> complete the install.
>
> This is the sort of thing MSCE's think is "normal" but linux
> users rightly think is absurd.
>
> Linux is a joy to install compared to any version of windows.

I have said many times, in many different words, you can't judge an OS
by the install. If I honestly say that for Linux, I should absolutely
cut Windows some slack there as well.

That being said, what you experienced makes sense, I suspect the NT
install never expects its CD to be removed.

Where I won't cut any version of Windows any slack, is the requirement
of rebooting after installing an application.  I'll grudgingly give it
some slack after installing a driver, but it shouldn't need to reboot
all the time.

But, a from scratch install? That is a hard thing to do, but although M$
is a huge enough company with enough resources and testers that should
have been found, but again, the install is not the OS. If it came
pre-loaded on your system you would never see it.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: "Slava Pestov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tinman digest, volume 2451736 (Tholen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 22:37:27 +1000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jacques Guy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Slava Pestov wrote:
>
>> > Your first name is a dead give-away, Slava, a reference to your
>> > inventor and builder, Karel Capek.
>
>> "Slava Pestov" is my real name. I was born in Russia.
>
> More proof of what I advance: they made much better bots there than at
> Cornell; but they had no access to any computing power to speak of.
> (True: there is a series of algorithms, published in Russia in the
> 1960-70s, and only the simplest ones were implemented on computers
> -- a BESM... forgot the number. The more complex ones
> were checked... by hand!)

Incorrect. Your lack of culture is showing, Jacques.

> <mode = "tholenbot>I see no proof there, Pestova.</mode>

Illogical. Having trouble differentiating genders, eh Jacques?
As I am male, my last name is written as 'Pestov'. If I was female,
it would be 'Pestova'.

>> I live in Australia too.
>
> <mode ="improved tholenbot">How was lunch?</mode>

Irrelevant.

> (I am saving the "new! double improved tholenbot" mode
> for later)

Why?

------------------------------

From: "Slava Pestov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 22:38:01 +1000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Slava Pestov wrote:
>>
>> Are you implying that you have already lost all possible arguments?
>
> Yet another person who doesn't know the difference between an
> implication and an inference.

Jumping into discussion again, eh Marty?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: Mrs Drestin Black
Date: 22 Jul 2000 13:15:38 GMT

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:18:27 +0000, Jacques Guy wrote:
 >Copied and pasted from Mr Drestin Black's  URL:
 >
 >http://drestinb.ic.net/private.htm
 >
 >Not bad-looking at all, Osin, and... dressed in black!
 >
 >I am  a bit disappointed by that particular URL, though.
 >Although it was produced with  Microsoft Frontpage 4.0,
 >it lacks Dresden's dreaded profession of faith:
 >
 ><!-- Linux SUX -->
 >
 >which you can see at
 >
 >http://drestinb.ic.net/hideout.htm

There must be some mistake:  according to www.netcraft.com,
drestib.ic.net is running Apache on FreeBSD.  But then, so is
Microsoft's own www.hotmail.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:44:44 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Bob Tennent would say:
>On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:18:27 +0000, Jacques Guy wrote:
> >Copied and pasted from Mr Drestin Black's  URL:
> >
> >http://drestinb.ic.net/private.htm
> >
> >Not bad-looking at all, Osin, and... dressed in black!
> >
> >I am  a bit disappointed by that particular URL, though.
> >Although it was produced with  Microsoft Frontpage 4.0,
> >it lacks Dresden's dreaded profession of faith:
> >
> ><!-- Linux SUX -->
> >
> >which you can see at
> >
> >http://drestinb.ic.net/hideout.htm
> >

>There must be some mistake:  according to www.netcraft.com,
>drestib.ic.net is running Apache on FreeBSD.  But then, so is
>Microsoft's own www.hotmail.com.

Well, the flaming is only of _LINUX_, and of the people that
associate themselves with _LINUX_.

Evidently, FreeBSD isn't "worthy" of his criticism...
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linux.html>
"Objects keep things tidy, but don't accelerate growth: inheritance

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: I had a reality check today :(
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:55:12 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Palmer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 21 Jul 2000 03:52:06 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 12:44:32 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:31:40 -0400
>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[snip our stuff for brevity]

>    Full perphireal support for            No        Yes
>    adcanced periphealls like
>    scanners, printers, etc...
>
>    Automatic hardware dittection
>    that work's the first time,
>    flawlissly                             No        Yes

That's *IT*???

Timmy, you need to do your homework.  Surely you can find a
dozen things that Windows does right (*AND* prior to Unix).

Can't you?

Obviously, we (Aaron and I) have done ours. :-)

(Besides, Unix was doing printers since before you were
born, probably. :-)  Ever hear of a Printronix?
And that's a relatively recent one.)

[rest snipped]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 14:12:52 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Drestin Black
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 20 Jul 2000 16:07:05 -0500
<8RJd5.36990$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[snip slightly misconstrued programming example from Perry -- sorry
 Perry, wrong problem :-) ]

>This is my understanding of Big Endian and Little Endian:
>
>"On an Intel computer, the little end is stored first. This means a Hex word
>like 0x1234 is stored in memory as (0x34 0x12). The little end, or lower
>end, is stored first. The same is true for a four-byte value; for example,
>0x12345678 would be stored as (0x78 0x56 0x34 0x12). "Big End In" does this
>in the reverse fashion, so 0x1234 would be stored as (0x12 0x34) in memory.
>"
>
>So, I took it to mean inputting: 0x12345678 I should output: 0x78563412 -
>and so on.

You are more or less correct in that understanding.  VAXen,
for example, were also little endian; HPs and Suns, however,
are big endian.  (Gave us fits at my prior employer some years
back, when we first ported from Apollo, Sun, and HP, all of which
were big endian, to NT on ix86, which was little endian.)

>So... hows this?

[terrible programming example using BASIC strings snipped]

Ye gods; strings to do endianity flips?  Try this one:

        long endianFlip(long inp)
        {
                union
                {
                        long l;
                        char c[sizeof(long)];
                } u;
                int i, j;

                for(i=0, j=sizeof(long)-1; i>j; i++,j--)
                {
                        t = u.c[i]; u.c[i] = u.c[j]; u.c[j] = t;
                }

                return u.l;
        }

Or, if you prefer, try this one:

        #include <limits.h>

        long endianFlip(long inp)
        {
                long mask = ((1<<CHAR_BIT)-1);
                long ret = 0;
                int i;

                for(i=0;i<sizeof(long);i++)
                {
                        ret <<= CHAR_BIT;
                        ret |= (mask & inp);
                        inp >>= CHAR_BIT;
                }

                return ret;
        }

(CHAR_BIT is a system-dependent constant that is the number of
bits in a char.  Nowadays it's almost always 8, but using
Magic Numbers(tm) in one's code is almost always a Bad Thing(tm). :-) )

I'm not sure which one would be faster or is cleaner, but both would
beat your string handler.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- L$="FIRE TRUCK": MID$(L,2,7) = ""

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: From a Grove of Birch Trees It Came...
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:26:33 -0400

LENIN'S USEFUL IDIOT wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>         From a grove of birch trees it came...
> >Why do you feel it necessary to engage in a smear campaign
> >Are you afraid that people might realize that my observations are
> >accurate
>
>         Nobody else seems to agree with you except for the residents of

Spot Loren't insideous habit of mounting a smear campaign against
his opponents when he can't debate on rational grounds.

> certain groves of birch trees. A special kind of birch trees, of course :-)

And nobody thought Hitler was going to attack all of Europe.
So, like, what's your point?

> >>         The breakup of the USSR can hardly be called a simple
> >> restructuring. ...
> >It was all PLANNED OUT IN THE 1980's, you fool.
>
>         An absolute total absurdity. Scott Erb notes that the Soviet
> bureaucracy had been divided on what to do about Eastern Europe in the
> late 1980's, and Gorbachev had prevailed in letting Eastern Europe go,
> even though this meant losing East Germany to NATO. Yes, *LOSING* East
> Germany. That was despite some "Germanists" wanting some sort of
> officially-recognized respect for Soviet interests from Germany, at the
> very least.

I would take the words of defectors, whose other predictions have
also proven to be true FAR higher than the opinion of anybody from
the west, no matter how sincere their interest in finding the truth.

> >If you purposely take the body panels off of a car, that is hardly
> >comparable to suffering damage from a crash.
>
>         However, this is more like removing a car's carburetor or its
> spark plugs. Russia has had its biggest defeat since WWI, when Lenin
> signed a peace treaty handing over the Tsars' Eastern European empire to
> Germany.

The Warsaw Pact NO LONGER SERVES A PURPOSE.  For one, it's very
existance
was a GLARING reason for the US to have large military.

Now, 10 years later, our military has been cut in HALF, and the
Russian military is the same size AND MODERNIZED.

> >>         This makes Mikhail Gorbachev's achievements especially remarkable
> >> -- he was willing to sacrifice control over eastern Europe, even if that
> >> meant totally "losing" Germany. And after what Russia had suffered at
> >> Germany's hands some decades ago, that is truly a remarkable achievement.
> >You really have no understanding of people who put the goals of
> >"The Party" above all else, do you?
>
>         From a grove of birch trees it came...

LENIN'S USEFUL IDIOT engages in more smear tactics...

> >By the way, where do you think PhoneyFuck Gorbechev is getting all
> >of his money from???  Considering that the man doesn't work, how is
> >he able to afford a midtown Manhatten apartment??????
>
>         He delivers speeches, and collects big fees. He is to be
> congratulated for so gracefully ending the Soviet Union's Eastern
> European empire.

Collect big fees from who?  College kids who can barely afford pizza?
Not hardly...it's being funneled to him by communit university
administrators.

> >It's obvious that the Communist Party in Moscow is funnelling money
> >to him, so that he can sell his bullshit to slurping feebs like
> >yourself who lap it all up and beg for more.
>
>         Absurd. They'd prefer someone with better credentials, someone
> like Vladimir Zhirinovsky. Mr. Gorbachev is *not* highly regarded in
> Russia, since he had been unable to reverse its decline. He is much more
> highly regarded abroad, and the reason is that different people notice
> different things about him.

He's the front man for unilateral disarmament.

> >You are truly one of Lenin's USEFUL IDIOT'S
>
>         Spending too much time in groves of birch trees?
>
> >>         ROTFL. This "police state" has been *very* ineffective in
> >> suppressing criminal gangsters.
> >I talk in person with Russian immigrants who have family in Russian
> >and/or talk by telephone to Russian citizens in Russia several times
> >per month. ...
>
>         [Conspiracy theory about criminal gangsters being some
> Reichstag-Fire-type scam...]

Read Machiavelli and get back with us, USEFUL IDIOT.

>         I'm not impressed, because the Russian authorities are not
> bothering such conspiracy theorists very much.

That hardly constitutes proof of anything.

> --
> USEFUL IDIOT                            Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train
> My home page: http://www.petrich.com/home.html

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:27:11 -0400

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >
> > > Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Really?  Try doing a network install of RedHat on a machine with two
> > > ethernet cards installed (it's intended to be a firewall).
> >
> > Which is something QUITE different from having the CD in a local drive.
>
> I don't see how it's all that different.  In any event, you basically said
> that Linux couldn't have a similar problem and went on about how you had to
> swap hardware or jump through hoops to get Windows to install, and then
> implied that you would NEVER (your caps, not mine) have to do so with Linux.
>
> You are wrong.

That was Tim, not me

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron R. Kulkis' signature
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:27:45 -0400

Courageous wrote:

> > get over me.
>
> alt.romance surely did. You have an *obnoxious* signature, by the way.

Glad you like it.

> C/

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Linux = Yet Another Unix
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 14:41:49 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jeff Sturm
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:03:10 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Linux is for folks who would rather spend all day
>> RTFM instead of setting up their computer and
>> actually doing some productive work.
>
>And just what else would you recommend (that runs on my ALPHA
>processor)?

Well, you could run that ultra-new technology NT on it,
which is supported on no less than 3 platforms.
It's officially supported by Microsoft and Compaq...

*noise in the back of the room*

Hmm...hang on a second...

*more noises, one that suspiciously sounds like "Telegram"*

...OK, I'm back (opens envelope)...oh no...NT not supported
on Alpha?  *And* the PPC??

Dang.  I guess you'll just have to go back to that
extremely sucky zero-cost solution that scales from
a tiny 386 to an IBM S/390, has robust multitasking,
uptimes measurable in terms of years, an industry
standard set of GUIs, and millions, if not billions,
of lines of source code freely available.

On both of them.

Doesn't that just suck rocks?  :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- 100% recycled sarcasm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: alt.sad-people.microsoft.lovers,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Linux is blamed for users trolling-wish.
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 14:45:16 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 22 Jul 2000 00:28:06 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

[snip]

>> You are *not* good for my attitude, Aaron.
>
>Can I interest you in a sniper-grade AR-15....accurate to 1,000 yards...

Ye gods.  As if the anti-choicers weren't bad enough
in talk.abortion... :-)

Letting Billy boy rot in a jail cell is one thing, but shooting
him's probably over the line.

Of course, we could lock him in a white-walled room with a
table and a computer with "BOB" running on it, and he
can't .... exit .... it!

Fiendish torture!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- who, me manic?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Let me help Dresden
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:54:33 -0400

Jacques Guy wrote:

> Following your message of 10/25/1999 on
> alt.binaries.multimedia.erotica.d
> inquiring about Becky Sunshine videos,
> here, Dresden:
>
> http://www.beckysunshine.com/bsunfrm.htm
>
> Which would you like, Dresden?
>
> #10 Becky's tongue bath?
>
> or  would you prefer
>
> #13 Becky's Bald Beaver?
>
> For a computer guru since 1963, you are not
> too clued up as to how to use a search engine,
> Dresden.

And he still doesn't know C.   Why is that?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.