Linux-Advocacy Digest #923, Volume #27           Mon, 24 Jul 00 20:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451750 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: From a Grove of Birch Trees It Came... (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows? (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action (was:    Microsoft
Ruling Too Harsh (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious.... ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious.... ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  No wonder Hackers love Linux (Steve)
  Re: Some Miserable weekend with Windows :( (Steve)
  Re: Some Miserable weekend with Windows :( (Steve)
  Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action (was:       ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action (was:     ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: Leninist USEFUL IDIOT denies reality, attempts a smear campaign ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451750
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:35:22 GMT

Here's today's Malloy digest.  Once again he ignores all the unresolved
issues, such as his alleged reciprocation, his illogic regarding his
frequenting of "these precincts", how he tried to speak for everyone
else, his parroting, the nonexistent chat with the "TPTB", his use of
the word "necessarily" inappropriately, and so on.  It must be a cold
day in Hades because the fact is that there was no "chat with TPTB".
There is no "TPTB" at UofH to have a chat with.

124> Tholen does some substandard tholing (hey, waitaminit, *all* tholening
124> is substandard!):
124>
124> Tholen, you're just pontificating away as usual.  Your claptrap -- such
124> as the unwarranted inferences you made -- is hypocrital.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: From a Grove of Birch Trees It Came...
Date: 24 Jul 2000 23:36:02 GMT

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:30:10 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

>Because it's a violation of MY First Amendment rights.

How so ?

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: 24 Jul 2000 23:40:28 GMT

On 24 Jul 2000 16:40:19 -0500, Drestin Black wrote:

>> You need endian operations when (a) you write code that's portable across
>> hardware architectures which means that (b) networking code tends to
>> require endian operations. You should get out more.
>
>Donovan - shame on you.
>
>I write for the Windows OS - I have no need to be concerned with Endian
>operations.

Is the alpha big endian ? I take it you only write for *Wintel*, not
Windows.

BTW, if you want to connect to a big-endian server, then you should
care about endian-ness, even if you know your client is little endian.

Cheers,
--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action (was:
Microsoft Ruling Too Harsh
Date: 24 Jul 2000 23:45:29 GMT

On 24 Jul 2000 22:12:34 GMT, Loren Petrich wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>As for the employees, there's nothing stopping them from
>>becoming shareholders if the company is public.  In fact it's in the
>>interests of the employees as a group to own some company stock.
>
>       And it's in everybody's interest to create Utopia.

But creating utopia is unlikely to happen for a few reasons --

(1)     What *is* utopia anyway ? Can we agree on what it is ?
        ( apart from the fact that it doesn't exist by definition ! )

(2)     It's not (necessarily) always in the individual's interest
        to create "utopia".  However, there is often a clear advantage
        to owning stock.

(3)     THere's a problem with short and long term interests. Maybe
        "creating utopia" is too inconvenient in the short term.

Cheers,
--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious....
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:38:05 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > John Hall wrote:
> > >
> > > "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:LlId5.36590$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> large

> that
> > > is
> trouble
> > >
> > > VB has very poor error handling (well certainly the versions I've
> sed)  -
> > > it makes it very difficult to write large-scale, robust applciations.
> > >

> > The problem is fools like DB who have a trade-school education,
> > yet think they're in posession of PhD level knowledge.
> >

> oh give me a break - aaron you've demonstrated ZERO computer knowledge and
> even less programming skills. All you've done is insult.

I'm not the one claiming to be a "Drestin Black, Sooooper Programmer"

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:38:31 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > John Hall wrote:
> > >
> > > "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:LlId5.36590$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> large

> that
> > > is
> trouble
> > >
> > > VB has very poor error handling (well certainly the versions I've
> sed)  -
> > > it makes it very difficult to write large-scale, robust applciations.
> > >

> > The problem is fools like DB who have a trade-school education,
> > yet think they're in posession of PhD level knowledge.
> >

> oh give me a break - aaron you've demonstrated ZERO computer knowledge and
> even less programming skills. All you've done is insult.

Insulting people like you is not merely acceptable, it is a duty.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: No wonder Hackers love Linux
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:50:58 GMT

Just installed Mandrake 7.1 with medium security
setting and install option of everything.

Port 21 ftp WIDE OPEN.

Port 23 telnet WIDE OPEN

Port 110 pop3 WIDE OPEN

Port 113 ident Wide open....

Not to mention all of the other security holes due
to inetd running every service known to mankind.

Windows 98 se with ICS installed closes all of
those ports and several are in stealth mode.

No wonder the script kiddies seems to love
Linsux.....

Typical newbie will install it with defaults and
be hacked within a couple of hours.

BTW SuSE 6.4, Install Everything did somewhat
better in that only ports 80 and 113 were open.

I only checked via www.grc.com which does not
check all ports.

God only knows what else is wide open.....

Steven

------------------------------

From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some Miserable weekend with Windows :(
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:50:59 GMT

As far as ease of set-up the Linux solution and
Windows solution are on different planets.

I've been reading the Linux How-to's for the past
day or 2 and I can't imagine anyone other than a
Linux guru setting this stuff up.

The Windows solution?

Windows 98SE:

Control panel->Internet Connection Sharing
->enable.

Connect to the internet with the host computer
(this is the step I missed) and insert a floppy.

When it is done take the floppy to each computer
on the network and execute the program.

That's it.

As for a firewall, ZoneAlarm works good and is
free. Norton Firewall seems a lot nicer and is
extremely user friendly. It comes set up already
for Napster/Gnutella and other services that
should be benign but you can customize everything
very easily with the wizards, down to the port,
domain and ip address IF YOU WANT TO. Point is you
don't HAVE TO, it is set up already.

Now in my particular case I screwed up having
thought I un-installed my virus scanner and also
not being connected to the net when I made the
floppy. I have subsequently fixed those errors and
things work fine.

The Linux solution is most likely just as powerful
but lacks in the ease of use department.

Steve

------------------------------

From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:50:59 GMT

I am looking at them as we speak, and my steel
scale (made by General Instruments BTW) shows 1
and 1/4 inch thick of mostly out dated
techno-babble. The assumption of prior experience
is insulting and just the overall tone of the
documents (ie:you might try this, or you can try
that") is foolish. I want answers, cookbook
instructions, not some hit or miss set of
instructions that tries, and then fails to
encompass all of Linux.

I can't imagine anyone normal actually
understanding this stuff.

Commercial software vendors can make a killing in
Linux simply by pointing the clients to the
How-To's. When they totally give up they will be
ripe for the quality "you get what you pay for"
software instead of the free kiddie quality junk.

Steven

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:44:12 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Drestin Black wrote:
> >
> > > Actually - I never ever have need for this function in BASIC which is
> why i
> > > was unfamiliar with it so I just jotted out a brute force solution - the
> > > first thing to pop to mind. I didn't sit and dwell on it or spend more
> than
> > > a few seconds to pound out the code. Someone just said "couldn't be done
> in
> > > VB" - and I did. That's all.
> > >
> > > Your version from the C version is more efficient.
> >
> > So I guess you have never written a program that has to send data over a
> > network.
>
> Sigh... how on EARTH do you make that silly conclusion from what we're
> talking about. Gary, listen and I'll use small words: I just cranked out a
> quick solution for a silly problem someone threw out. That's it. Period.
        ^^^^^^^^

I know this might sound... UNUSUAL to a Microsft Droid like yourself.

but a SOLUTION is something that WORKS.

Your little bit of VB doggerel was not a solution, because it
Failed to SOLVE the problem.

Failure to demonstrate the ability to solve even a trivial (although
by no means "silly") task indicates that you are not NEARLY as
good of a programmer as what you fancy yourself to be.

A lot of inter-platform network communications RELY on conversions
between "big-endian" and "little-endian" formats.

The very fact that you consider this to be a "silly" problem
indicates that you have little or no experience with any
platform outside of Micro-shitware.

> Done.
>
> THIS is the reason whenver someone says: "prove you can program, write a
> program" I never take the bait and shouldn't have here. NO MATTER WHAT I
> WOULD HAVE WRITTEN it would have resulted in the same type of crap.
>
> Yes, I have written network applications. In fact, the very last large
> application I wrote involved a medical transcription package which was fully
> network multiuser. So, you have guessed wrong.

Was this at the same quality as your non-working Big<-->Little Endian
conversion code?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:45:21 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said Drestin Black in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >    [...]
> > >Actually - I never ever have need for this function in BASIC which is why
> > >was unfamiliar with it so I just jotted out a brute force solution - the
> > >first thing to pop to mind. I didn't sit and dwell on it or spend more
> than
> > >a few seconds to pound out the code. Someone just said "couldn't be done
> in
> > >VB" - and I did. That's all.
> > >
> > >Your version from the C version is more efficient.
> >

> > From what I heard, the version in C worked, and yours didn't.
>
> You heard wrong.

Yeah, right.

You even ADMITTED that you failed to test it.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:46:50 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said abraxas in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

> make
> the
> > >
> > >Then you are a horrible programmer.
> > >

> > >-----yttrx
> >

> > 'Abraxis', I've been greatly annoyed by your posts, over in
> > alt.destroy.microsoft, for some time.  You have never been as horrid as
> > Roger or some others, and were always pretty *incisive* in your
> > comments, if incorrect, in the context of the discussion.
> >
> > But I just want to say that we have common ground.  Because I completely
> > agree with your assessment of the matter here.
> >
> > I don't even think it matters which part of Mr. Black's communication
> > evinced the "then" which preceded your comment.  It could have been that
> > he actually used a string function for byte-level manipulation.  It
> > could have been that he didn't try to make the singular most efficient
> > function.  I might even have been that he hammered out the quickest way
> > he could think of, rather than dealing with the challenge
> > intellectually.  It doesn't even matter; you are right, as far as I'm
> > concerned.  Accurate.  Consistent.  And practical.
> >
> > Then he is a horrible programmer.
> >
> > Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.
> >

> Max - if you really want to sleep with him, you don't have to butter his
> buns so much - I'm sure you two can masterbate in your "anti-Drestin" easily
> without having to heap so much techobabble praise upon him - especially in
> light of the fact that both of you are non-programmers and haven't a clue
> what you are talking about. You are so desperate to formulate an insult that
> you don't even realize how stupid you make yourselves sound by endulging in
> this circle jerk. I mean... really... get a room girls...

If you don't like the "anti-Drestin" writings, you are free to

A) stop posting your idiocy to Usenet
B) get an education in the field, and then display that you actually
        have a fucking clue beyond Microsoft Propaganda.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:48:52 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Loren Petrich wrote:
>
> >>         That's horse manure, and *you* know it, Mr. Kulkis. If business
> >> turns bad, employees get laid off.
> >But not until the owners have actually bee LOSING MONEY while the
> >employees are STILL GETTING PAID.
>
>         The owners? That might be a problem for privately held companies,
> but publicly held ones have this wonderful government giveaway known as
> "limited liability". The only way a stockholder will lose is if the
> stock's price goes too low, and that's all a stockholder will lose.

So, when the price of IBM stock fell from $120/share down to $60/share,
they didn't lose value???

Loren, how bad is it in your world that you feel the need to smoke
large quantities of crack on a daily basis...

> --
> Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train
> My home page: http://www.petrich.com/home.html

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:50:12 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >As for the employees, there's nothing stopping them from
> >becoming shareholders if the company is public.  In fact it's in the
> >interests of the employees as a group to own some company stock.
>
>         And it's in everybody's interest to create Utopia.

Employee ownership under a capitalist system is the closest thing to it.

Why do you keep pushing communism when it's been shown to be an
absolute failure everywhere that it's implemented.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: Leninist USEFUL IDIOT denies reality, attempts a smear campaign
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:55:26 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Loren Petrich wrote:
>
> >>         And in the case of Poland, Solidarity operated out in the open for
> >> months before the Soviet Union's leaders got the Polish armed forces to do
> >> their dirty work for them.
>
> >Thus, you make my point for me.  If the Russians wanted to keep
> >him quiet, then they would have had him snagged the first night
> >he started making a nuisance of himself...BEFORE the western media
> >ever found out.
>
>         From a grove of birch trees it came. The Soviet Union's leaders

Lorenm, have you stopped stalking the women at work?

> were (1) not very happy with Solidarity and (2) unwilling to repeat their

If they were "not very happy" with Solidarity, they could have
arrested Walensa when he first started making noise publicly.
Do you honestly think that there were oodles of WESTERN reporters
hanging around the Gdansk shipyards, day after day, year after year,
waiting for an anti-communist massiah to come?

> interventions in Hungary and Czechoslovakia. And they did not intervene
> *directly*, as they had done earlier.

All they would have had to do is come and arrest Walensa and his
closest associates in the middle of the night in the early days of the
movement.  (i.e. LONG before it made the evening news in the USA)

> --
> Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train
> My home page: http://www.petrich.com/home.html

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.