From: "javaduke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hullo, Claire, James? Here's another dork for you
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:40:59 GMT

I some times hear, like you, advocates hate (which is a pretty strong word)
Microsoft because it is Microsoft.  I, on the other hand dislike Microsoft
because of the lack of innovation.  VPN is an example of a technology that
closely resembles OpenSSH.  What I would like to see are products that are
not only easy use but when I need to upgrade I donot need to upgrade my
computer just to run the new version of the software at a decent level of
responsiveness. I do accept that I need to upgrade once and a while, but
when a program boloons from 300MB to 700MB, then you really have to ask who
is the master mind behind it?  Is it some sort of conspiracy between
Microsoft and hard disk manufcatures to that Maxtor and Seagate can sell
more drives? :)

I have run Lotus Smart Suite and have always found it superior to Microsoft
Office in that it is compact (around 200MB) and uses small amount of memory
when running it.  It would be nice is Lotus did port Smart Suite to Linux as
I would be one of the first to jump on the buying bandwagon, however, it is
very unlikely that they would port it.  I'll just have to wait until
OpenOffice 6 comes out of the thinktank.

javaduke

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Lance Togar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 17:39:19 -0500

says...
> Bruce Schuck wrote:
>
> > "Caldera OpenLinux User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >
> > > What happened to MS doesn't indicate a superior security model.  MS's
> > feature
> > > rich design puts too much empahsis on HUMAN decisions to enable security.
> >
> > Open Source = a wonderful opportunity to alter source and distribute
> > original source with binaries made from altered source.
>
> Oh yeah - mail me your version of LINUX and I'll run it (we'll call it
> SCHUCK-IUX).   Let's assume you've got the mental horespower to create one -
> how do you get a LINUX distributor like Caldera to blindly accept your code,
> compile it and distribute it to me?
>
> Let's keep our eye on the ball, MS has a flawed security model which is highly
> integrated and relies more than others OSs on human decisions.  No amount of
> FUD is going to reduce the hacks and losses caused by MS's weaker security
> model.  MS "I LOVE YOU".
..
Another WEB TVer joins the ranks of "freelance security expert".
..
..

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: so REALLY, what's the matter with Microsoft?
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 17:03:08 -0600

"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ti7n7$mv23f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> MS don't care about quality - Win95 was advertised as a new bugfree
> operating system

Where was Win95 advertised as a bug-free OS?  There's no such thing.  *NO*
Operating system is bug-free.  None.

> Win98 was advertised as having 3,000 bugs fixed from the
> previous supposedly bugfree version - Shouldn't this have made it a free
> service release and not something costing as much to replace as it cost to
> buy the previous version?

Win98 had new features, such as a new driver model, full USB support, and
new applications.  Whether it was worth what they charged is a different
argument, but Win98 wasn't just a bug-fix.

> Win2k was released with MS knowing about 64,000
> problems - how many of these are now causing major problems for some
users?

*EVERY* product is released with known problems.  Red Hat does it.  Caldera
does it.  Debian does it.  FreeBSD does it.

If the problems able to be worked around, or are cosmetic, then it's not
worth delaying the product.  And it's been stated, over and over again, that
the number was significantly less than 64,000, since that number included
duplicate entries, not-a-bugs, feature requests, and other issues which have
little to do with real problems.

> MS don't care about backwards compatibility - Try making an office 2000
word
> / access file to be read by a customer using office 97, it cannot be
> reliably done. Even upgrading your own system from office 97 to 2000
leaves
> some user documents only partially useable.

Sure it can be reliably done.  Just download the Word2000 import filter from
MS and install it on your Word97 computer.

> MS don't care if files created by their applications can be read by the
huge
> numbers of users who don't use their operating system as if Unix / FreeBSD
/
> Linux / Apple don't exist in MS's world.

If that were the case, you couldn't save Word documents in other formats.

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 14:48:21 -0800

"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ti7n7$mv23f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> MS don't care if files created by their applications can be read by the
huge
> numbers of users who don't use their operating system as if Unix / FreeBSD
/
> Linux / Apple don't exist in MS's world.

Whan was the last time the Unix world did anything to make life easier for
Microsoft?

Get real.

As for Apple, without Microsoft it would be dead, dead, dead. Without Word
and Excel there would have benn zero reasons for anyone in the business
world to allow Apples in.

And without Microsofts infusion of cash, Apple would be toast.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 17:06:45 -0600

"Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I actually meant the modifications that could have been done to M$'s code
> that M$ will never find.

And you know for a fact that this happened, and that it's impossible for MS
to find them if they did?

You've never heard of configuration management?

> Would you run your enterprise on a CD you bought at a fair or Ebay? No.
> You'd compile the source code yourself, and as a useful by-product you
> could modify the code to suit your particular needs.

Haha... I doubt you'd find 1% of the installations that do that.

> Depending on your level of paranoia, and because the compiler could have
> been got at, you might want to check out the its source, and recompile it,
> and check out the compiler you used to compile the compiler, etc, etc...

Who does that?

------------------------------

From: "javaduke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:49:38 GMT

that's pretty mean :) but it has made for a good laugh

javaduke

James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:39fb3615$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jackie,
>
> Sorry, cannot afford Win2k on your pension (and/or allowance) ...  Well I
> guess you will then have to stick to "free" software.
>
> James
>

> "James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:39fb3552$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Jacques,
> >
> > I seem to have hit a nerve in implying that you are acting like a spoilt
> > brat.  And maintain this is nothing that a good spanking cannot solve.
> > bet you still live with mummy & daddy - even though you tout yourself as
> > 56 year old senior citizen.
> >
> > BTW, any shithead - such as yourself - can surf the net looking for
> problems
> > with an OS.  How about making a DESKTOP comparison between Linux and
Win2k
> > yourself - and posting your own experience.
> >

> > James :-)
> >

> > "Jacques Guy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > >  Security?
> > >
> > > PC Week:
> > >  [ http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,2404702,00.html ]
C2

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2473689,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews
> > 01 ]
> > > Hackers got Bill Gates' credit card info
> > >
> > >  Assorted vulnerabilities
> > >
> > > CEGadgets:
> > >  [ http://www.cegadgets.com/artsusageP.htm ] CE's ActiveSync 2.x
Allows

 [ http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0%2C4586%2C2570727%2C00.html ]

 [ http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/10/03/nashaq.idg/index.html ]

 [ http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0%2C4586%2C2572469%2C00.html ]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Why don't I use Linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:54:53 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (2:1) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> And I write letters with it.
>>
>> And I write reports with it.
>
>I write letters and reports in LaTeX. Your point?

Your statement that Word is "fuck all use" is wrong.

>You make trollish claims about Linux (the one about cryptic names for
>instance) and ignore everyone who tells oyu about packages that you
>want. That's why I thought that. So far, you have given me no reason to
>change my thoughts.

Ah yes, Gimp is somehow better than PSP. Yet I've pointed out features that
PSP has that GIMP doesn't. Somehow, GIMP is supposed to be superior than
PSP?

Cryptic names are too common on Linux. Does a user know what 'cat' or 'ls'
or 'grep' or 'pwd' mean? As opposed to 'type', 'dir', 'find'?

And that makes me a "troll"? Sheesh!

--
Pete Goodwin
---

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Another MS Hack / Crack Thought.
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:48:32 -0000

MS Say that the sourcecode for office / windows was not seen.

It is also suspected that MS run *nix on a lot of their system.

Is it possible that each department using windows systems is linked by a
unix firewall and this is what stopped the trojan helping gain access to
source to released projects - they could hack their way around all the
department where the trojan entered as it is all running insecure windows
systems but were stopped going between departments by the unix machines in
between?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:56:09 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>For just viewing and slide showing, you should try Acdsee. They have a
>sharware version.

Yep, got that too. I was asked to indicate how PSP is superior to GIMP, so
I did exactly that.

--
Pete Goodwin
---

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: 2.4 Kernel Delays.
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:09:26 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:OtOK5.4881$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > There is no evidence to support this.  Netcraft does not count the
> number
> > of
> > > servers, it only counts the number of hosts.  A single server can have
> > > multiple, even 10's of thousands of hosts.
> >
> > But there is no reason other than your imagination to suggest that
> > Linux is so much more robust than the other systems that it would
> > be used to support an atypically high number of virtual hosts.
>
> So you agree that there is no evidence which supports the claim that there
> are more linux web servers on the net then, right?

No, while I do think that Linux is a robust choice for hosting, I have
no reason to think the Linux machines would have more that an
averag.netmber of vhosts.