From: John Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: 25 Jul 2000 14:14:21 GMT

JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: > Microsoft leads the trend.  Microsoft is the trend.  I don't see any
: > other software vendors lying about their products

: Have you checked the screenshots of some of those games? And compared with
: the box picture?

Told by a computer software salesman:

Q: Know the difference between a used car salesman and a software
   salesman?

A: A user car salesman knows when he's lying.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rj friedman)
Subject: Re: Vacuum, void, null... .NET
Date: 25 Jul 2000 14:21:26 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 02:46:33 "2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

¯I see your "Joel" and raise you one Bertrand Meyer, one of the leading
¯lights of OO programming and the inventor of the Eiffel language, at
¯http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/PDC_eiffel.htm
¯
¯The .NET Platform is a move to a middleware platform, which has no doubt
¯been accelerated by the antitrust case...

What amazes me in the MS net [talk about an apt name] deal
is that no one has picked up on the fact that MS is lining
up ASPs with the same kind of lock-in contracts that they
used to establish their illegal monopoly in PC desktop
systems.

Instead of the gun to the head being the Windows [pseudo]
Operating System (that the OEMs had to have in order to
survive); now it will be the MS Office apps that only get
delivered via ASP, so that the ASP has to either buckle
under to the same tactics and treatment or else close up
shop.

They are doing the EXACT same thing - in the words of the
immortal Yogi Berra, "It's deja vu all over again." Cut the
rattlesnakes head off, and it grows another one.

Why is no one screaming blue murder over this?

[RJ]                 OS/2 - Live it, or live with it.
rj friedman          Team ABW
Taipei, Taiwan       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To send email - remove the `yyy'

From: Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:23:24 GMT

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> They cater to Microsoft, they pander to their customers /for/ Microsoft.

 Wrong twist. Go wash your mouth out with soap, then read this:

 Cater Ca"ter, v. i. imp. & p. p. Catered; p. pr. & vb. n.
   Catering. From Cater, n.
   1. To provide food; to buy, procure, or prepare provisions.

            He providently caters for the sparrow. --Shak.

   2. By extension: To supply what is needed or desired, at
      theatrical or musical entertainments; -- followed by for
      or to.

 Cater Ca"ter, n.
   A provider; a purveyor; a caterer. Obs. --Chaucer.

 Pander Pan"der, n. From Pandarus, a leader in the Trojan
   army, who is represented by Chaucer and Shakespeare as having
   procured for Troilus the possession of Cressida.
   1. A male bawd; a pimp; a procurer.

            Thou art the pander to her dishonor.  --Shak.

   2. Hence, one who ministers to the evil designs and passions
      of another.

            Those wicked panders to avarice and ambition.
                                                  --Burke.

 Dell and Compaq would be /catering/ to their customers who require
 computers, but /pandering/ to Microsoft's desire for a monopoly.

Regards,

Merriam Webster

------------------------------

From: "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tholen digest, volume 2451750.x74d^-.0000000000000000001
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:31:45 -0400

Ooh, Tholen tholens a "digest" of a single message; how daring he isn't!
Once again he ignores all the unresolved issues, such as his alleged
reciprocation, his pure illogic regarding his frequenting of "these
precincts", how he tries to speak for everyone else yet speaks for none, his
parroting -- the only thing he can do, given his lack of intellect -- the
chat with the "TPTB", his use of the word "necessarily" inappropriately, and
so on.  It must be a cold day in Hades because he's pretending not to
understand "TPTB" and therefore is falsely claiming that there was no "chat
with TPTB".  There are agencies with "TPTB" at UofH to have a chat with,
Tholen.  Your ignorance, real or otherwise, won't protect you from having
had a "chat" with them.

By the way, the digest proper has nothing worthwhile to report.  Again.
Typical Tholen.

Thanks for reading!
--

"USB, idiot, stands for Universal Serial Bus. There is no power on the
output socket of any USB port I have ever seen" - Bob Germer

------------------------------

From: John Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 25 Jul 2000 14:34:21 GMT

John C. Randolph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: >     "Assembling components to construct software holds great promise
: >      for the future of software engineering. But first, you must
: >      overcome the challenge of versioning and components."

: Another problem solved by NeXT, which solution has been inherited by
: Apple.  Mac OS X frameworks can have multiple versions resident, and an
: app can link against whichever one it wants (although most apps link to
: the latest version by default.)

: NeXT also supported versioning at the class level, so if you're reading
: instances out of an archive that was written by a previous version, you
: can detect and deal with the discrepancy.

NeXT was at least 10 years ahead on these things, and this sounds like a
very interesting solution.  I have heard though, that the *Step framework
required Apps to be recompiled periodically.  (As an example, I don't
believe Apps compiled on the recent Mac OS X Server bill be happy on the
new Mac OS X beta.) As a serious question (and not to cast stones), why
didn't NeXT have binary compatiblity for greater spans of time?

John

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Am I the only one that finds this just a little scary?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:38:40 -0500

Perry Pip wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:54:58 -0500,
> Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >And your bigotted
> >view of me doesn't really bother me.
>
> And calling me a bigot doesn't bother me. It doesn't change my opinion
> that a person who detaches himself from society, attributing all of
> society's problems to others and not understanding that he is a part
> of both society and society's problems has an antisocial attitude. So
> I call that person a sociopath. There are many like that here it Texas.

Implication being that I detach myself from society?  I detach myself
from government.  They are not the same thing.  I find that people
actively involved in anything (even the OS wars) see anyone that doesn't
consider their particular area of interest of the utmost importance in
their life to be completely beyond contempt.  It's really quite humorous
if you see beyond the attack in it.  I don't like the fact that humans
see things only from their little corner of the world, but again, trying
to change that is a losing battle.

I recently married.  My wife has a cousin that truly is a sociopath.
She never (and I mean *never*) leaves her house.  She has groceries
devlivered.  She leaves money in an envelope for the guy, takes the food
in after he has left, and never interacts with anyone she can avoid.
She keeps all shades closed, and all doors locked.  I don't know how she
earns money (never got that far in the conversations we've had about
her), but I know she will not leave the house.  She won't allow visitors
into the house, she won't answer the phone (in fact, only uses it to
*order* things), and she refuses any human interaction.  All she does
(from what I've been told) is read books and magazines of fiction that
she orders from catalogs she recieves.  This to me is a someone that
detached herself from society: a sociopath.

I go to work every day.  I do my job.  I interact with people in real
life, over the phone, through email, and any way I can.  I deal with
people every day, constantly.  I do what I can to improve the little bit
of the world I interact with.  I don't worry about the government
because, as I said, I feel it's pointless.  Now, I don't see that making
me a sociopath.  Maybe you still do?

> >Is it really necissary to tell every person in here that they are
> >wrong?  Everyone has a different strong suit.  Everyone has a different
> >veiwpoint.  Yes, I'm bowing out of the conversation.  Yes, I am
> >admitting that I lost the debate.  Why?  Because I wasn't trying to
> >debate.  I was expressing my viewpoint.  I don't understand why a
> >*different* view always has to be a *wrong* view.
>
> I wasn't responding to someone's view, but to his attitude.
>
> >Humanity on the whole has a swelled head.
>
> Your damned right about that, Nathaniel. Not just the assholes in our
> Government, but Humanity on the whole;-)

<philosophical rant>
Absolutely.  You know, I don't like admitting it very often, but
sometimes I just wish there would be a huge global catastrophe that
would make people realize that we aren't in control of *everything* and
that humanity is not its own god.  In other words: Armegedon.  I know it
sounds ugly, but I feel like humanity is on the brink of being too cocky
to continue.  We already feel we know it all.  We already feel like we
control the universes destiny.  While there are a select few of us that
question things, and try to move science forward, most are just content
with where we are.  I don't think we are in the best position for us (on
the whole) right now.  I think we need to keep moving forward.  We need
to keep questioning.  We need to keep learning.  You shut off that
little bit of your mind that allows you to *input* data, and your life
just as well be over.  If humanity keeps trying to stop science (look at
things like the space program to see what I mean), keeps trying to shut
up literary writers (they don't *show me the money* quite like
pop-culturists), keeps trying to stop positive images (the news makes
better ratings with *shock-rock* style cultural depictions), and keeps
trying to enhance our view of ourselves as a negative race (again, the
media focus on the shocking, negative, deadly, and evil underbelly of
society), we will stop moving forward.

It isn't just a government issue.  It's a humanity issue.  I focus on
areas other than government, because I feel the change we really need
(which would lead to a government shake-up) need to come from somewhere
deep in the heart of humanity on the whole.  There is my proposed
solution (and why I don't consider myself a sociopath).  I push people
to question, and to find the answer to their question.  I push myself to
learn more, to write more, to create the music that I love.  Now, I'm
not stupid or egotistical enough to consider myself to be the
*phase-shift* incarnate that humanity needs.  But if I touch enough
lives in just the right way, maybe one or more of the people I reach
will be a part of it.  It's a lot deeper than just government.  And I
feel starting with the government isn't the right tactic (maybe it is
for you, but not for me).  We have to start somwhere else.  We have to
start with something deeper, and more integral to humanity.

People as individuals still cherish the idea of the human spirit, the
idea that we each have a soul.  My number one question in life, and the
one I keep trying to find an answer to is this: What happened to the
idea of humanity's spirit?  Where is humanity's soul?  Where ever we
misplaced it, we must find it again.  And that isn't going to happen
because of a single person.  It isn't going to happen through a
government shake-up.  It's going to happen when enough people stop, look
around them, and ask: What are we?  Why are we here?  What will become
of us (as a race)?  Where do we go from here?

Yeah, I know, high-minded ideas.  And not something I can implement
myself.  But I sure as hell am going to try to at least get people
thinking about it when I can.  That's my contribution to society.
That's my attempt to break through.  Hopefully it will mean something.
But I do know that it gives me a sense of purpose.  It gives me the
feeling that I am accomplishing something.  And that is one thing that
is missing in too many lives right now.  It was missing in mine for
years.  As a teen I began to see these questions.  In my early twenties,
I began to put these questions forward in my mind.  Today, I'm still
asking them, but I'm asking them out-loud more and more.  Maybe someday
I'll find my answer.
</philosophical rant>

OK, waaaaaaay off topic, and perhaps not relevant completely to the
discussion at hand.  But you said that people that bitch and moan
without offering any possible solution are the ones you consider
sociopaths.  My solution isn't easy, but it isn't an easy problem.  It
goes way beyond government in my opinion.  And I feel we need to start
somewhere other than government.  That's my view.  Perhaps not the
happiest view in the world.  But putting up the happy face when you see
things suck isn't going to change it.  Questioning why it sucks, and
trying to fix it may....

> Perry

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: Mikey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: No wonder Hackers love Linux
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:50:48 -0400

Thus Sprake Steve:

> Thank you for supporting my findings with the
> technical knowledge that you have and I don't.
>
> I was merely pointing out, at a very basic level
> that a default Linux install leaves the end user
> wide open to attacks.

If you're so worried about attacks, then SELECT HIGH SECURITY for your
box, especially if you've got a cable modem or DSL.  If you select
"medium security" on a constant connection, then you probably deserve
the reaming you might get.  Try the high security setting and ask around
on how to secure your box instead of bitching because the setup program
doesn't hold wipe your butt for you.  That's a mom's job. :)

> To me, it seems quite simplistic. If a user is
> open to attack this is bad, and it is particularly
> bad if it is under the guise of a default "medium
> security" setting.

Would you also randomly press these buttons on an ATM too?  :)

Press 1 if you'd like to put your money in a higher interest SFHGIOONM
account
Press 2 if you'd like your money in Kildoneron Plagwaggies
Press 3 if you'd like to check your balance in Gaelic.

RTFM.  Figure out what low, medium, & high security means before poking
on a button so you will make a proper decision.

> Medium security under ZoneAlarm blocks so many
> incoming and outgoing traffic it actually gets
> annoying. Medium security under Mandrake 7.1
> leaves ports wide open for exploitation.

ZoneAlarm is not packaged with Windows.  It is specifically a security
program.  It is made by people who are clued about network security for
people who can't secure their boxen.  You can, if so inclined, secure
your Linux/Unix boxen in many ways.  Just ask.  Most Linux/Unix people
are willing to help.

> Big difference to a basic end user like me.

UNCLUED: Wahhhh!  My car won't start!

CLUED: Replace your battery.

UNCLUED: Can't it replace itself?
<rant>
Arrgghh!!!  Then just use Windows.  Why bother with Linux if you're not
going to put some effort into learning it?  Windows does everything you
want.  It holds your hand, you don't have to bother learning anything
(point & click), and (obviously) you'll never have to touch a grubby
manual.  Fine!  Just keep rebooting Windows, stop the clueless whining,
keep giving M$ a bunch of money, and (doing us all a favor)
don't_use_Linux!  It's made for people who know_how_to_use_computers!
</rant>
--
Since-beer-leekz,
Mikey

------------------------------

From: Douglas Boyne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.fan.bill-gates,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: If Microsoft starts renting apts (was: If Microsoft starts
renting    apps)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:46:58 +0100

On 25 Jul 2000, Stephen S. Edwards II wrote:

> You didn't copy the actual routine.  Just the format.

So you reckon he DID write it himself?  I don't think the fact that there
had been other offerings in that general vein was the issue under debate.

> http://i-want-a-website.com/about-microsoft/yamoo/jokes.html

Yep, that seems like a pretty big repository of anti-Microsoft jokes which
DOESN'T include Aaron's posting - the evidence seems to be mounting on his
side!  (cheers, BTW - I'll check it out in detail later ;) )

 > But most importantly... yours wasn't funny or clever.

I don't know - it had it's moments!  Went a bit astray now and then, but
most enjoyable, generally!

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:01:12 -0300

Gary Hallock escribió:

> "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>
> > I don't have a bias towards CMT.  I have a bias against the status quo.
> > Since PMT is the status quo, it looks quite similar from your
> > perspective.
>
> But CMT + PMT covers the entire universe of possible forms of multitasking.

Well, that I wouldn't dare say :-)
It covers the entire universe of implemented forms of multitasking, but
there *could* be a form we don't know.

For example, single-task CPUs in a multiple CPU system would be some
sort of multitasking, limiting yourself to as many tasks as the
number of CPUs, and no task would be preempted, and no task would
yield :-)

Or, say, clusters of CMT tasks running in preemptable sets. Sort
of like GNU Pth inside a process, only "pulled out" one level.

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451751
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:03:59 GMT

Here's today's Malloy digest.  Once again he ignores all the unresolved
issues, such as his alleged reciprocation, his illogic regarding his
frequenting of "these precincts", how he tried to speak for everyone
else, his parroting, the nonexistent chat with the "TPTB", his use of
the word "necessarily" inappropriately, and so on.  It must be a cold
day in Hades because the fact is that there was no "chat with TPTB".
There is no "TPTB" at UofH to have a chat with, Malloy's pontification
to the contrary notwithstanding.  Notice how he never produces any
evidence.

125> Never mind that, Tholen has made numerous typos in his messages and yet
125> likes to "throw them in your face" when an opponent does.  Such a hypocrite,
125> this Tholen!
125>
125> ***included message***
125> Tholen tholes some more:
125>
125> What's a "ressponse," Tholen?  Explanation, please.
125>
125> On the basis that it does and it's very rare from you.
125> ***voila!***

126> Tholen tholes again in vain:
126>
126> Umm, "Stupid?"
126>
126> Obviously not.

127> Ooh, Tholen tholens a "digest" of a single message; how daring he isn't!
127> Once again he ignores all the unresolved issues, such as his alleged
127> reciprocation, his pure illogic regarding his frequenting of "these
127> precincts", how he tries to speak for everyone else yet speaks for none, his
127> parroting -- the only thing he can do, given his lack of intellect -- the
127> chat with the "TPTB", his use of the word "necessarily" inappropriately, and
127> so on.  It must be a cold day in Hades because he's pretending not to
127> understand "TPTB" and therefore is falsely claiming that there was no "chat
127> with TPTB".  There are agencies with "TPTB" at UofH to have a chat with,
127> Tholen.  Your ignorance, real or otherwise, won't protect you from having
127> had a "chat" with them.
127>
127> By the way, the digest proper has nothing worthwhile to report.  Again.
127> Typical Tholen.
127>
127> Thanks for reading!