From: Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 00:13:31 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>programs)

>major

>what
>will
>states.
>is

>traditional

>usual

> >> Note:  still no response.
>
> Note:  still no response.

>thought.

>power

> >> Note:  still no response.
>
> Note:  still no response.

>the
>is
>have

>putting

>amps

> >> Note:  still no response.
>
> Note:  still no response.

> >> Note:  still no response.
>
> Note:  still no response.

> >> Note:  still no response.
>
> Note:  still no response.

> >> Note:  still no response.
>
> Note:  still no response.

> >> Note:  no response.
>
> Note:  still no response.

> >> Note:  no response.
>
> Note:  still no response.

> >> I already answered that question.  You erroneously declared my answer
> >> to be a definition.
>
> Note:  no response.

> >> You're erroneously presupposing that I ducked it previously.  From
> >> above:
> >>
> >> RL] OK, what is your intuitive concept of the operation of a power switch?
> >>   ]
> >> DT] One position is "on" and the other position is "off".
> >>
> >> Your claim that I ducked it is rather ironic, considering all the
> >> statements of mine that you've ducked.  For evidence, see above where
> >> I've written "Note:  no response."
>
> > Until you give an intuitive definition of a power switch, nothing you
> > say or ask has any meaning whatsoever.
>
> Then why did you ask for a concept first, Russ?
>
> > Therefore, it gets no response.
>
> How convenient for you, Russ.
ME : OK, what is your intuitive concept of the operation of a power
switch?

YOU: One position is "on" and the other position is "off".

Care to define what "is" is? Or would you like to duck the question?
Are you interested in a real debate or just making yourself look like
... OK, I won't say it. If you decide to give either your intuitive
"concept" or  "definition" of a power switch, we may continue.
--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: Kulkis digest, volume 2451894
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:14:22 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
> 09>    when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
> 09>    remember to slit lengthwise.
>
> 10> Tholen....
> 10>    it's YOU who should be apologizing.  Now remember Dave...
> 10>    when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
> 10>    remember to slit lengthwise.
>
> 11> Tholen....
> 11>    it's YOU who should be apologizing.  Now remember Dave...
> 11>    when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
> 11>    remember to slit lengthwise.
>
> 12> Tholen....
> 12>    it's YOU who should be apologizing.  Now remember Dave...
> 12>    when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
> 12>    remember to slit lengthwise.
>
> 13> Tholen....
> 13>    it's YOU who should be apologizing.  Now remember Dave...
> 13>    when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
> 13>    remember to slit lengthwise.
>
> 14> Tholen....
> 14>    it's YOU who should be apologizing.  Now remember Dave...
> 14>    when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
> 14>    remember to slit lengthwise.
>
> 15> Tholen....
> 15>    it's YOU who should be apologizing.  Now remember Dave...
> 15>    when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
> 15>    remember to slit lengthwise.
>
> Illogical Kulkis, given that you're the one spewing the invective,
> not me.
>
> 16> What Marty is saying is that, being the sub-standard in-duh-vidual
> 16> that you are, using you as an offering would be an insult to the gods.
>
> What I am saying is that your invective (and Marty's) gets you nowhere,
> Kulkis.
>
> 17> Tholen....
> 17>    it's YOU who should be apologizing.  Now remember Dave...
> 17>    when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
> 17>    remember to slit lengthwise.
>
> Illogical Kulkis, given that you're the one spewing the invective,
> not me.
>
> 18> Actually, Dave, I was quite serious.
>
> Your use of the past tense suggests that you're not serious anymore.
>
> 19> Tholen....
> 19>    it's YOU who should be apologizing.  Now remember Dave...
> 19>    when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
> 19>    remember to slit lengthwise.
>
> Illogical Kulkis, given that you're the one spewing the invective,
> not me.
>
> 20> You just just don't fucking get it, do you Tholen.
>
> How ironic.
>
> 20> You're a premier-grade moron.  A complete knee-biter.
>
> How ironic.
>
> 20> How's that book of yours coming along...
> 20> "How I turned $10,000,000 in real estate into $100 cold cash"
>
> Classic erroneous presupposition on your part.
>
> 21> Goddamn, Tholen... somebody offers you clever and helpful advice,

Tholen.
        YOu, personally, are a pollutant in the gene pool of life.
Remember to slit lengthwise, oxygen thief.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:16:31 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sun Microsystems and the end of Open Source

"Chad C. Mulligan" wrote:

> Not a big enough market.

In other words,  no one in their right mind would want to run NT on S/390.
But there are lots of people who want to run Linux on S/390.   I wonder why?

Gary

------------------------------

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: 18 Dec 2000 00:18:17 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> "AN Unix"? Is this a deliberate mistake?
>>You might say so.  The idea was they should've given proper credit instead
>>of bragging about `their' new innovative ideas.
> I was referring to the grammar.
Sorry, that was a completely undeliberate mistake.

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

We're all in this alone.
                -- Lily Tomlin

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:21:56 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Chad C. Mulligan" wrote:

> Nearly two years ago I downloaded the same version that is STILL the only
> version available at Sun.  That is two years of inactivity in my book.  BTW
> that version sucks.

So.  You have just given an example of how closed source is bad.    The 5.x
version was closed source and is still closed source.   On the other hand,
after only 2 months of the 6.x version being open source, there have been 3 new
updates which you can download.   How, in your convoluted mind, does this
demonstrate the end of open source?

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JoeX1029)
Date: 18 Dec 2000 00:31:40 GMT
Subject: Re: Linux is awful

try /var/tmp there should be like "rpmimstalllog" or something like that

------------------------------

From: LShaping <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 00:16:38 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Steve Mading wrote:

>> I suppose the notion that maybe they get mad because you are lying
>> about them never occurred to you.  Calling all left-wingers "socialists" is
>> like calling all right-wingers Fundamentalist wackos.  It's taking an
>> attribute of the fringe of the group and attributing it to the whole.
>> Use "socialist" when you are talking about that fringe that actually is
>> socialst, don't use it the rest of the time.

>I have yet to meet a (post-1970's American) "liberal" who wasn't also
>a closet-commie.

I saw a quote attributed (probably) to Will Rogers, went something
like this.
"I can remember a time when a liberal was someone generous with his
own money"
LShaping

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 02:23:16 +0200

"Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:913snq$pvc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Agreed, but defaulting to HKCU if you aren't sure about where this
setting
> > > should belong is never a bad idea, IMO.
> >
> > Well, I was partially wrong.
> > I tried to install LCC on my computer, to install, of course, I'd to
runas
> > admin, so I did.
> > It stuck critical program information in the HKCU of the admin, causing
the
> > program to fail when I tried to run it as another user.
> > My first thought was that it was another case of trying to write to
HKLM.
> > But it wasn't, since I couldn't find the key it was complaining about in
> > HKLM, I then tried to run it as admin, which worked flawlessly, then I
had
> > to run as regedit and search the admin's HKCU for lcc's node.
> > For some very strange reason, it shoved *all* the configurations in
HKCU.
> > That is *not* something that I see often.
> > I'd to export the admin's settings and import them as the user I'm
generally
> > using.
>
> It's possible that a bug in the program triggers a bug in the registry
> handling software.

No bug in the registry.
The program stored *essensial* information in HKCU, therfor, it crushed when
run under another user.

> Two basic software rules are to keep apart unrelated things, and to
> reuse existing mechanism as long as practical.
> This ensures you that a bug will not affect unrelated things (making
> debug very hard), and that you only need to debug the minimum amount of
> software. Registry violates both those rules because it keeps in a
> single structure settings concerning different programs and different
> users, and doesn't take advantage of the standard file system handling
> mechanism. It's just a Murphy's law case: if it may go wrong, it will.

Actually, the registry is built like a file system.
Or maybe it's the other way around, file systems are built like hierarchical
databases.

To give an example from *nix world, it would be like a program that stores
its settings in /home/foo
And crush when user bar try to run it, because the program settings cannot
be found on /home/bar

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Conclusion
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 02:26:20 +0200

"sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:91j8d6$8mk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <91j657$bib$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:91irk1$381$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> for
> > those
> > otherwise.
> > >
> > > Show me a HP-UX, Linux, or Solaris site on there that shows more
> than 497
> > > days uptime.  There are some FreeBSD sites, but my guess is that
> they are
> > > the older releases.  There is a Solaris box that shows 492 days
> uptime,
> > but
> > > that's less than 497.  Be honest, you just assumed that they posted
> > uptimes
> > > over 497 days, didn't you.  You didn't really check.
> >
> > I can show you NT sites that has > 49.7 days cycle.
> > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?display=&site=www.starbucks.com
>

> You might want to READ what you post! Starbucks is a W2K site AND the
> Starbucks netcraft page has a VERY clear statement about NT:

Win2K uses the same uptime scheme that NT uses, 100s of ms.
Therefor, it resets itself every 49.7 days
How did Netcraft listed starbucks' uptime, then?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 00:37:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Charlie Ebert
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:09:33 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 06:46:54 -0500,
>Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert) posted:

>>| Just so the crowd doesn't think your full of shit,
>>| give us just one link to a web site which proves this.
>>|
>>| Just one.
>>
>>http://linux.nuvoli.to.it/varie/titanic/2494.html
>>
>>You'll see that Digital Unix, NT and Linux were all used.
>>
>>Both NT and Digital Unix were not selected for the final rendering
>>because of cost, not capability.
>>
>>Linux's kernel needed significant enhancing to made suitable for the
>>process, but this is what OSS is about .... having access to source
>>which I can't take away as a definite advantage to Linux. :=)
>>
>>Anyway, the point is that Linux helped in the making of Titanic. It
>>wasn't by any stretch of the imagination, exclusively used to create the
>>graphics in the Titanic. It proved to be the best choice for the final
>>rendering process but it wasn't used for actual design and creation of
>>Titanic graphics, that was a job for NT and Digital Unix machines.
>>
>>--
>>Curtis
>>
>>|         ,__o
>>!___    _-\_<,    An egotist thinks he's in the groove
>><(*)>--(*)/'(*)______________________ when he's in a rut.
>>

>And this is the REAL truth, not some bullshit posting
>from a moron who's refering to a newsthread rumor.
>
>Linux is what run's hollywood these days and people
>who try Microsoft W2k to perform digital rendering
>and colorization of Movies fail every time.
>
>You NEED an operating system to perform these tasks.
>
>Windows is not an operating system.

Huh?

I thought the idea was that ALL THREE operating systems
were used in the production!

Windows NT is great for graphical front-end entry.  I'm not sure
where Digital Unix falls in this stuff (it may have had an app
that helped).

And Linux works on the backend, chugging away.

The result:  one of the most successful movies produced.
Nobody can deny this, but Linux didn't do it all.

As for Windows being an OS -- I'll refer you to another thread.
(One could quibble as to whether Windows = the Win32 API or not,
as well.  It gets complicated -- but then, Windows is complicated.
A complicated mess.)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random mess here
                    up 84 days, 6:49, running Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 00:39:55 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chad Myers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:16:27 GMT

[snip]

>The lack of an automounter? What for?

*cough* SMB *cough*

>NFS? There are several freeware NFS client/servers for NT, and several
>commercial ones for relatively little cost, so this argument seems
>wrong or unresearched. This isn't a valid argument.
>
>Symbolic links? NT supports hard links.

And soft links, in a wierd way.  Probably not in a way useful
to programs, though.

[rest snipped]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random *cough* here
                    up 84 days, 6:53, running Linux.